Home

OSUPiper's CH2K8 CPUvCPU Experience

This is a discussion on OSUPiper's CH2K8 CPUvCPU Experience within the College Hoops 2K Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > College Hoops 2K > College Hoops 2K Sliders
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-02-2016, 01:21 PM   #1
MVP

OSUPiper's Arena

OVR: 8
OSUPiper's CH2K8 CPUvCPU Experience

It is that time of year, so here goes...

My setup tends to be more of a system than just a slider set. This thread will begin with several posts illustrating what I do and why. This will include, at the very least:

SLIDERS
PLAYER EDITS
GAME TIME EDITS
JUSTIFICATIONS
HOUSE RULES

I will edit the thread and fill in gaps as time allows.

Lastly, thanks go out to VC for a timeless game of basketball; to this community for its support, interaction, and enthusiasm; and to you guys that have added so much to this experience in dynasty posts and theorycrafting, particularly to jukeman (although these settings do not follow his tried-and-true system, many of the philosophies are shared).

I hope you guys find this information worthwhile.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
MVP

OSUPiper's Arena

Re: OSUPiper's CH2K8 CPUvCPU Experience

Version 5.0

GAMEPLAY

RULES

Mode
Sim
Shot Clock
ON
Difficulty
MOP
OOB
ON
Half Lngth
Backcourt
ON
Sim Half
10 secs
ON
Game Spd
5 secs
ON
Plyr Spd
27 (28)
3 secs
ON
FT Diff
5 guarded
ON
Plyr Lock
OFF
Goaltend
ON
Real FT%
ON
Bonus 1+1
7 fouls
Fatigue
ON
Dbl Bonus
10 fouls
Injuries
OFF
Foul out
5 fouls
Tm Unity
ON
Charging
6th Man
ON
Blocking
Clutch
ON
Reaching
69 (68)
Pass Icon
ON
Shooting Foul
69 (68)
Def Plyr Icon
ON
Loose Ball
Inbound Def
ON

Shot Stick FT
OFF

SLIDERS

SHOOTING

ATTRIBUTES

GAMEPLAY

FITNESS

IR
37 (38)
Off Aw
67 (70)
Team Unity
Fatigue Rate
Mid
46 (47)
Def Aw
75 (67)
Dunk in Trfc
Recvry Rate
3pt
45 (48)
Dunk
Screen Succ
Inj Freq
Dunk
BH
Screen Str
Inj Effect
Layup
OR
Steal Succ

Close tend
7 (25)
DR
Help D
15 (25)

Mid tend
13 (27)
Block
Help Recvry
90 (58)

3pt tend
Steal

Drive tend
64 (75)
Speed

NOTES
- Version 5 provides player and team stats which are more consistent with the simmed stats because of the adjustment to pace of play. Teams with an average tempo will have FGA, FTA, rebounding, etc., averages that are more appropriate relative to their conference and the NCAA generally.
- I have not had enough opportunities to run games with dominant inside scorers, but so far it seems that Centers will fare worse in Version 5 than in versions 3 or 4, but overall post players do impact the game offensively.
- Version 5 provides a more deliberate style and pace, but still serves up some highlight reel moments. If you like the wide open run and gun dunkfest of previous versions, you may not want to switch to this (V5).

Version 4.0

Sliders (old values in parentheses)

GAMEPLAY

RULES

Mode
Sim
Shot Clock
ON
Difficulty
MOP
OOB
ON
Half Lngth
Backcourt
ON
Sim Half
10 secs
ON
Game Spd
5 secs
ON
Plyr Spd
28 (25)
3 secs
ON
FT Diff
5 guarded
ON
Plyr Lock
OFF
Goaltend
ON
Real FT%
ON
Bonus 1+1
7 fouls
Fatigue
ON
Dbl Bonus
10 fouls
Injuries
OFF
Foul out
5 fouls
Tm Unity
ON
Charging
6th Man
ON
Blocking
Clutch
ON
Reaching
68 (66)
Pass Icon
ON
Shooting Foul
68 (69)
Def Plyr Icon
ON
Loose Ball
Inbound Def
ON

Shot Stick FT
OFF

SLIDERS

SHOOTING

ATTRIBUTES

GAMEPLAY

FITNESS

IR
38 (37)
Off Aw
70 (75)
Team Unity
50 (60)
Fatigue Rate
47 (44)
Mid
47 (48)
Def Aw
Dunk in Trfc
Recvry Rate
65 (62)
3pt
48 (46)
Dunk
Screen Succ
57 (55)
Inj Freq
Dunk
48 (49)
BH
30 (29)
Screen Str
Inj Effect
Layup
35 (36)
OR
Steal Succ

Close tend
25 (0)
DR
Help D
25 (33)

Mid tend
27 (33)
Block
Help Recvry
58 (51)

3pt tend
35 (25)
Steal

Drive tend
75 (81)
Speed

Version 3.0
Spoiler

SLIDERS V 2.11a

Spoiler

Last edited by OSUPiper; 03-24-2017 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Updated to Version 5
Old 01-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #3
MVP

OSUPiper's Arena

LEGACY IN-SEASON EDITS

I. Edit HS All-Americans and Top Players

A. From the list of HS AA recruits, as well as Top 35 SFs, Top 50 PFs and Top 50 Cs from last season, you will substantially edit roughly 10-16. (See End of Season, below.) Recent NBA draft classes include 6 to 8 Freshmen and 6 to 8 Sophomores. Presently, I edit the incoming freshmen to simulate this, as follows:
1. "One-and-Dones" - I pick an average of 6 to 8 players and edit them to at least OVR=95-99. Here is how I choose these players:
a. #1 Overall recruit;
b. The next two that are #1 at their position, excluding the position of the #1 overall recruit...PG and SG counts as the same position for this purpose;
c. Then, I use Random.org to generate numbers from 1-100 for every HSAA, Top 35 SF, Top 50 PF, and Top 50 C, and compare to following values:
-- For HSAAs only, PG=100, SG=83+, SF=61+, PF=21+, C=11+;
-- For Top 35 SF, Top 50 PF, and Top 50 C, SF=91+, PF=72+, C=66+;
d. You will eventually edit these guys to 95+, including at least these edits:
-- Add to Off Awareness up to 99
-- Add +10 to Def Awareness;
-- Add +10 to Stamina;
-- Add +20 to Confidence;
-- Add +10 to Consistency;
-- Add +5 to Speed;
-- Add +5 to Quickness;
-- Add +5 to Ballhandling, except Centers
-- Clutch and Shoot in Traffic = 95 minimum;
-- Continue to Add to other appropriate stats to make player OVR >95 (e.g., PG - Ballhandling and passing = 90 min). Look at the Player's strengths and go crazy. These guys should feel dominant;
-- Add +25-30 to all appropriate Shot Tendencies, except 3PT. (see KNOWN ISSUES, below); (Still Tweaking Tendencies)
-- Add +1" to PG/SG/SF/PF;
2. "Super Sophs" - I pick an average of 3 to 5 players and add +20 to OFF AWR and +25 to all appropriate Shot Tendencies except 3PT. I have tried several systems for doing this, but currently I choose these players by looking at the distribution of One-and-Dones and filling in underserved positions, by taking the top random #s relative to position (e.g., how close was that player to being a One-and-Done). Just be creative and do not cheat for yourself;
3. ""Busts / Late Bloomers" - I pick an average of 2 to 4 players and edit them:
-- Add +10 to Off Awareness;
-- Subtract -15 from Def Awareness;
-- Subtract -10 from Hustle;
-- Subtract -20 from Consistency;
-- No edit to Potential
-- Add +10 to Confidence;
-- Add +25 to all appropriate Shot Tendencies, except 3PT;
Here is how I choose these players using same random numbers:
-- For HSAAs only, PG=19-, SG=20-, SF=20-, PF=10-, C=no Busts
(For Top 35 SF, Top 50 PF, and Top 50 C, ignore Busts);

II. Edit other Freshmen

A. Ratings:
1. Dunk: All players who can dunk need Dunk=90-99. Taller PF/Cs should have Standing Dunk = 90-99. NOTE: with V6.0 sliders, Dunk ratings of 80 are high enough.
2. FT: general rule: players shoot 3-5% below FT rating in sim and
players shoot 2-4% above FT rating in game (NOTE - My FT rating edits are more random now, but I am leaving the changes in here as a loose guide)
a. No adjustment to AAs
b. Non-Power schools: Players rated ‘D’ Overall:
-- PG: +6 FT, min 80 BH and 75 Passing
-- SG: +8 FT, min 65 3pt if 3pt Tend > 30
-- SF: +6 FT

c. Non-Power schools: Players rated ‘F’ Overall
-- PG: +10 FT, min 80 BH and 75 Passing
-- SG: +15 FT, min 65 3pt if 3pt Tend > 30
-- SF: +10 FT
-- PF: +0 FT

d. Majors: remember, no adjustment to AAs
(-10) if FT=84+
(-5) if FT=80-83
3. All FG Ratings: Look at all Tendencies that are 40+; then:
If Close Tendency is 40-50, minimum Close% rating should be 70-80;
If Mid Tendency is 40-50, minimum Midrange% rating should be 65-75;
If 3pt Tendency is 40-50, minimum 3pt% rating should be 65-75;
If Drive Tendency is 40-50, minimum Layup% rating should be 65-75 and/or Dunk % should be 70-80, as appropriate. (Do not put Layup ratings too high for PFs and Cs in this game, as it will skew FG%);
4. All PGs should have min Ballhandling of 80 and min Passing of 75.

B. General changes
1. May change a CPU player’s position if he is better at another spot (i.e., PG->SG, SF->PF);
2. May change name to something that makes more sense;
3. May change ethnicity to something that makes more sense;
C. Height (Making changes to this -- in progress)
1. Power Conference - Add 1" to all Freshmen PFs at beginning of each season.

III. Schedules - BEFORE THE FIRST GAME, I go through and manually select literally EVERY game on every team schedule between a legit good team and a legit bad team. Generally, if the teams are more than 10 points apart in OVR rating and the better team is at home, I select the game. I never select conference games or games between Power conference teams.
A. I sim these games using Hoopcast as they come up on the schedule.
B. I sim about 3-5 CPU games at a time before saving.
C. If there is an upset, I exit to MAIN without saving, load the last saved legacy file, and re-sim.
D. If the same upset (i.e. same two teams) occurs twice in a row, I sim the next 5 games and if there is no other upset, I save the legacy.
E. This system is nearly a complete fix to the very poor results of the stock sim engine. RPI will drastically improve, tourney seeding will drastically improve.

IV. A System for Editing Rosters - It looks bad, but it is manageable and worth it. What has worked best for me and improved game integrity is:
A. Edit your conference before the first game
B. Edit every conference with a One-And-Done, Super Soph, and Bust before the Preseason Special (if you care) or before first game
C. Edit remaining conferences before you play a team from that conference
D. Regardless, edit at least one conference before each game you play.
Using this system makes things manageable and provides good stats in-season.

V. Tourney Time
A. I sim the NCAAs one day at a time and look at the upsets. I exit and re-sim any time I have a 1-16 upset or 2-15 upset, or if the bracket just gets ridiculous.
B. NOTE - since I started my sim system in Part III above, I have yet to "re-sim" a single NCAA tourney game.

VI. End of Season
A. Go to RECRUITING and make a list of where each HSAA is going, where each Top 35 SF is going, where each Top 50 PF is going, and where each Top 50 C is going.

Last edited by OSUPiper; 12-30-2017 at 09:50 PM. Reason: updated to Version 6.0
Old 01-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #4
MVP

OSUPiper's Arena

GAME TIME EDITS

1. Go to Opposing Coach Profile - Max Bench Depth is 9 or 10 - Version 5.x and 6.0 have fixed rotation issues for the most part. Most teams realistically will only go 7-10 deep, with the majority around 9.
2. Change offensive playbook/style to 'All Plays'
3. If Defense uses 2-3 zone at all, change that to 2-3 matchup zone... in fact, I change all zone defense to a matchup zone, except 3-2. Do not use Triangle and 2 with V6.0.
4. If Fast Break is less than 80, then divide by 2 and add 40
5. Divide Crash Boards by 2 and add 50
6. Defensive Pressure = 100
(I wish the range could be wider, but 3pFGAs and fouls are not manageable otherwise.)
7. Go to Opposing Team Roster Screen -> Rotations
8. Auto-Generate Rotation
9. (Optional - Free Throw % is much better in v6.0) Subtract 5 from Opposing Team Players' FT rating (remember to edit Opposing Players back after game)
10. Play Game
11. Move Controller to middle for CPUvCPU
12. Before tip off, go to Choose Side, choose a team, set all individual Def pressure to 'Tight' and Double Team to 'Never' then do the same for the other team. Make sure and select choose side again afterward and move it back to CPUvCPU.

Last edited by OSUPiper; 12-30-2017 at 09:55 PM. Reason: updated for V6.0
Old 01-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #5
MVP

OSUPiper's Arena

PHILOSOPHY AND JUSTIFICATION (or why I do what I do....)

My sliders (etc.) are always designed to conform to the game environment. That is to say, stats may or may not reflect the NCAA IRL. Most of this is the limitation of an imperfect sim engine that simply does not account for the variety in Coach settings and Player tendencies very well. As such, you will see very little difference in FGA p/gm between teams. Instead, you will see huge gaps in PPG and FT% that are artificially created by an equally faulty recruit-generator.

Likewise, I also prioritize global changes using sliders over discrete changes using roster edits. It should be obvious why I do this...there is less down time when you 'fix' a game with sliders vs. roster edits, which means more play time, more fun, and less frustration.

Lastly, my slider sets always begin with 'look and feel' rather than stats. What I hope you will see in your own legacies, and what I love about mine, is that the games are fluid and unpredictable in their outcome, but still explainable. For example, I had a team at Duke where I had 2-3 season with strong post play, but I never could recruit any talent at PF or C and graduation left me empty. After a sluggish start with bad inside play the next season (dropped out of the Top 25 for the first time since Coach K was there!!), I went small. To my surprise, we climbed into the Top 15. Then we hit ACC play and just got beat down by any team with decent post play. In other words, I knew exactly why we lost to inferior teams. (See TESTIMONIALS, below.)

If your 'played' games do not generate stats that match your simulated legacy environment, you will artificially inflate/deflate your own players' representation on AA teams, etc. This subtracts from the fun of the game for me. I want it to mean something when my guy leads the country in scoring or rebounding.

KNOWN ISSUES
I have tried to address every issue I have seen. My players used to always be at the top of rebounding charts, for example, but tweaks to sliders and the game and legacy edits presented above have fixed nearly every issue I have encountered. Some issues linger.

1. FT% - Sim FT% is a little lower than player ratings. This is fine, since there is a correlation we can work with. Unfortunately, FT% in played games is HIGHER than player ratings. The only real workaround is to edit FT ratings for your opponent every game (see above). I do not have the patience for this, so I just give my opponent an advantage of 3-8 points every game. This will not be a big deal to you until it knocks you out of the NCAAs.

2. 3PT attempts - I really like the impact of roster edits on simmed 3PT attempts. I see guys with plenty of attempts per game at high 3PT tendency ratings. The problem is that SFs have more opportunities, so in played games, a SF will average more attempts than a SG over time if both players have the same tendencies. This is not the case in simmed games. Also, in simmed games, 3PT shots are spread out over the roster. Even post players will have a few attempts when they really should not. As a result, your team will either shoot less 3s overall when compared to other teams, or your top shooters will individually average several more attempts per game than other individuals. I have chosen to put my players on a more even stat distribution (rather than team stats). I am still testing this through roster edits.

3. Dead Ball Turnovers - There just are not enough. That being said, I see a travelling call every 2-3 seasons, I see a 5-second closely guarded call at least once per 2 games, I see a 3-second call about once per game. The other dead ball turnovers are accounted for by backcourt and sideline infractions. This is an issue because you will see more FGAs per possession in CH2K8 than IRL. Thus, I use 19 minute halves and other edits. This is a minor issue, but not fixable.

4. Off-ball Fouls - My system will (over time) give you good foul numbers and decent FTAs when compared to sim stats. There will be huge swings. This is because CH2k8 provides more FTAs per foul than IRL. My theory is that CH2K games were always modeled on NBA2K games, and you can see this in subtle aspects of the game (tendencies, offensive flow, etc.). While I have been able to strike a compromise, I believe that you will see guards in foul trouble far more often than post players. You may have a different experience and, so far, it has not been game-breaking.

5. Too much talent and lack of diversity - As has been discussed in other threads, I do not see good role players reflected in ratings in this game. Role players definitely emerge, more as a result of shot tendencies. The problem is the number of teams with 4-6+ players rated B+ or higher. A good role player is a PF with C- ratings across the board, but can rebound like a mofo. Dennis Rodman was not an all-pro ratings guy, but he played like an all-pro and was invaluable to his teammates. You find guys like that in college basketball, but not in CH2k8. I can fix this with a few edits, but I have not found a fair way to implement anything. Suggestions are appreciated.

TESTIMONIALS
Fredrick Abdullah was a HSAA SG, #3 at his position. He ended up being a 'bust' in my system, which gave me a chance to work out some kinks over his career. As a 'bust' his ratings were edited to make him a wildly inconsistent 6'6" shoot-first, think later 2-guard with no inclination to play a lick of defense.

I literally hated Fred in his Freshman year. He bitched about playing time, which I grudgingly gave him because of the hype of his recruitment, and I found my self hoping he would transfer. But in blowouts against bad competition, he would come in at garbage time and score in double-figures.

In Fred's sophomore season, I threw him a bone; 10-14 minutes of pure instant offense. Still inconsistent, Fred would drop 25 on lesser competition and disappear when big boys came to play. That is, until the ACC tournament, when Fred just exploded in a couple of games. He averaged double-figures that season.

There was another guard (Nixon) in Fred's class who is a solid, all-around player that I never worry about having in the game. Nixon is a consistent shooter, good defender, and always got in the game before Fred. We went to the Final Four in Fred's soph season, and the NBA draft wiped us clean out of PGs. So, in Fred's Junior year, to the surprise of our fans, my staff, and myself, I handed the program over to Fred as our PG by default. The result: My favorite season ever of CH2K8.

The drives to the rim, circus shots, impromptu dunks, and relentless attack on the basket almost make the wild turnovers and inexplicable 25' contested shots pass without notice. It's like my own private Russell Westbrook.

Impact Centers do exist. I left Boise State to take over at Duke (many CH2k8 players end up at Duke because of Coach K retiring around the right time in our legacies). My first two seasons ended in the Round of 32 and, frankly, Coach K did not leave me much to work with; however, he did lay the groundwork for me to sign a promising 7' center. In his senior year, after finishing fifth in the ACC. he put our team on his back. Duke won the ACC tourney, then clawed our way into the Final Four and on to my first National Championship. I had some young talent in the frontcourt, but we had no business being in the Final Four outside of his dominant senior campaign.

Small ball is also alive and well in this game. It is easy to find a SF that will dominate in CH2k8. The gameplay engine simply provides more shot attempts at the 3 position. I only bring this up because of my earlier example of a dominant big man. Since my Center graduated, I have had exactly one post player of any note. As discussed somewhere above, I went small, often playing two guards and three SFs. We destroyed teams that lacked athleticism but an average team with a good inside scorer was a real problem for us. Last season, we got eliminated early in a bad matchup in the ACC tourney, but we got a fortunate draw in the NCAAs and made the Elite 8, where we lost to a team with -- guess what -- two good forwards.

Last edited by OSUPiper; 01-03-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2016, 01:24 PM   #6
MVP

OSUPiper's Arena

HOUSE RULES

Recruiting - Power Conference Schools
1. Can only sign one Center in a class.
2. Total number of Centers on the roster PLUS targeted Centers cannot exceed two (2).

Recruiting - Small Schools
1. Can only sign one Center in a class.
2. Can only have one Center targeted at any time.
3. Can only target a Center if there is not a Center on the roster returning for next season.
4. Total SFs+PFs Targeted and on the Roster (combined) cannot exceed ten (10).

Last edited by OSUPiper; 12-23-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:08 PM   #7
MVP

OSUPiper's Arena

STILL UNDER INVESTIGATION
1. Bench Depth. I do not think players get enough minutes per game, generally. I am considering flattening Bench Depth for all coaches in sim, maybe to a range of 7-10, 11 for bad small schools. I have not done this because I do not want to lose the feel of the 40-minutes-of-hell philosophy or the Roy Williams substitution pattern. Nonetheless, I think a change is coming. (NOTE - THIS ISSUE IS FIXED IN 3.0)

2. 3PT tendency. I am looking at lowering player tendencies through edits and raising the 3PT slider to compensate. I do not think I can fix the issue, but I may find a better middle ground. (NOTE - This is no longer a glaring issue in 3.0; stats fall in line pretty well)

3. Role Players. I really anticipate editing a few players each year into defensive role players and rebounding specialists. These will be minor edits. I also expect that I will look at Player Speed and position-specific edits (e.g., min values for PG Ballhandling and max values for Center Ballhandling). I would like to see more separation between fast and slow guys, and fewer post players leading the break.

Last edited by OSUPiper; 12-03-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:41 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 9

Just a suggestion, I think if you wanted role players you could just drop tendencies of non offensive players by like 10-15. 3pt specialists, drop their close/med tendencies.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > College Hoops 2K > College Hoops 2K Sliders »