Home

Rebuilding the Jets - Milkman41's Jets dynasty, starting in 2012

This is a discussion on Rebuilding the Jets - Milkman41's Jets dynasty, starting in 2012 within the Coaching Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
Rebuilding the Jets - Milkman41's Jets dynasty, starting in 2012

New York Jets announce hiring of Coach Caruzzo

The New York Jets are proud to announce the hiring of Head Coach Steve Caruzzo, formerly of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. In his 4 years in Tampa Bay, Caruzzo embodied excellence, as he compiled a fantastic 58 - 6 record, an unheard-of 46-game winning streak, and 3 consecutive Super Bowls (2009, 2010, 2011). Caruzzo has also shown a fantastic eye for talent, using several drafts to completely remold the team. He has constructed, either via the draft, via trade, or via free agency, a deep and versatile team that has produced numerous Pro Bowls, and has even set records, such as LE Calais Campbell's record 27 sacks in 2010. Caruzzo brings a fiery, aggressive, demeanor, and a similar style of play to the team. The team is very excited about the hiring, as is Coach Caruzzo, and they expect to finally climb out of the basement this season.

Last edited by milkman41; 03-20-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Rebuilding the Jets - Milkman41's Jets dynasty, starting in 2012

2012 Offseason roster

Code:
QB           Overall Potential Age Experience Contract Years Left
Troy Lamerson	85	90	27	2	2.1M	3
Anquan Taylor	73	91	25	1	9.4M	4

HB						
Ahmad Bradshaw	80	82	25	5	3.2M	4

FB						

WR						
Lavernues Coles	85	87	32	12	4.9M	2
Deron Miles	66	72	23	1	500k	2
Warrick Hugo	65	82	23	1	440k	2

TE						
Marcedes Lewis	73	76	27	6	1.1M	1
Tony Scheffler	70	73	29	6	500k	1

LT						
Mike Stowers	88	89	28	3	1.0M	1
Kirk Glazer	74	79	25	2	670k	4

LG						
Armond Burt	80	81	26	3	1.9M	3
Shane Rosenthal	80	90	25	1	480k	2

C						
Nick Mangold	92	93	27	6	5.9M	3

RG						
Brad Butler	82	82	27	6	2.5M	2

RT						
Will Svitek	82	82	29	7	2.2M	2

LE						
Vernon Gholston	84	84	26	4	7.9M	1
Aaron Henry	68	69	24	1	300k	2

RE						
Andre Dalembert	90	92	25	3	9.1M	3

DT						
Kris Jenkins	83	83	32	11	7.5M	1
Kory Holt	76	78	25	4	1.6M	1

LOLB						

ROLB						
Prescott Burgess	73	77	27	5	600k	1

MLB						
David Harris	86	87	27	5	2.9M	4
Renardo Wiley	76	79	27	4	570k	3

CB						
Darelle Revis	92	94	26	5	7.1M	1
Tyrod Darlin	92	94	25	2	9.3M	4

FS						
Abram Elam	76	79	28	6	830k	2

SS						
Kerry Rhodes	89	90	29	7	4.9M	2
Although Coach Caruzzo hasn't said anything regarding the quarterback situation, you would have to believe one of the two will be traded given their salaries and former 1st-round pedigrees. Although Anquan Taylor is most similar to Caruzzo's former QB Josh Johnson, Lamerson has a lower salary, and played decently last season when given a chance to start.

The only untouchables on the team seem to be RE Andre Dalembert, C Nick Mangold, and the cornerback tandem of Darrelle Revis and Tyrod Darlin. SS Kerry Rhodes, MLB David Harris, and LE Vernon Gholston (formerly a LOLB in 3 - 4, he moves to LE in Coach Caruzzo's 4 - 3) are also strong locks to stay on the team.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 11

Hey! Stop copying me!! Just kidding, I hope u can trun the Jets around soon. Whe I just went to the Jets the roster strength was similar to yours, and right now I'm 7-1 halfway through the season. Think u should be able to do the same.
2. Cardinals #2
3. Jets.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
Pro

Offseason Outlook

Restricted Free Agents
The Jets currently have no restricted free agents, but may have interest in other teams' restricted free agents. The Jets may have interest in former Bucs such as WR Jerry Higgins, RT Corey Albright, LE Robert Flynn, and DT Rashaud Johnson, as well as restricted free agents LG Langston Browne and others.

Unrestricted Free Agents
Although Head Coach Steve Caruzzo has not shown a tendency to spend much in free agency, he may have to look towards free agency to help fill some of the Jets' numerous holes, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. Coach Caruzzo will undoubtedly bring in role players such as QB Dee Gabbert who have knowledge of Caruzzo's playbooks.

There are also several young veterans who interest Caruzzo, and who could thrive in New York. Examples of these are ROLB Keith Rivers, WR Early Doucet, LT Sam Baker (recently cut by Tampa Bay), and HB Ray Rice. It seems that Coach Caruzzo will also look to gamble on a few former prospects who have fizzled out or not broken out like expected as he looks to build a winning team. Examples of players like this that would interest Caruzzo are FS Brandon Bellamy, who took 2011 off, LE Lawrence Jackson, Brodrick Bunkley, CB Andre Overton, and CB Allen Saine. Either way, it appears that Caruzzo may make a few big deals, but mostly bring in cheaper free agents to fill in the Jets' nearly non-existent depth.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSHHT
Hey! Stop copying me!! Just kidding, I hope u can trun the Jets around soon. Whe I just went to the Jets the roster strength was similar to yours, and right now I'm 7-1 halfway through the season. Think u should be able to do the same.
Haha I know man, I just really like the mix of talent the Jets have. They have two good-great pass rushers, two elite cornerbacks, and then not much else, so I have to rebuild the offense and alot of the defense. Should be fun, win or lose!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2010, 01:59 AM   #6
Pro

Offseason Outlook: Free Agency complete

The New York Jets have announced several moves during free agency, as Head Coach Steve Caruzzo has been busing wooing free agents and dealing away spare parts. Up first came the signing of the best player in free agency available; namely, ROLB Keith Rivers (since moved to LOLB). Rivers has amassed 293 tackles, 24 for a loss, 5 sacks, 12 interceptions, 32 deflections, and 6 forced fumbles during his 4 years in New England, and has a truly unique blend of speed, size, coverage skills, run stopping skills, and pass rushing skills. Look for him to be a terror from the LOLB spot, a very important position in Caruzzo's defense. Merely days later came the signing of WR Early Doucet, who broke out last season to the tune of 49 receptions for 1001 yards and 6 TDs (20.4 YPC). Doucet, who has amassed 173 catches for 2486 yards and 11 touchdowns in his career (14.3 YPC), is a fast, tough (albeit slightly injury-prone), young veteran who will immediately become the team's #1 receiver.

A few weeks passed, and then the Jets struck again, inking LT Sam Baker, MLB Dan Connor, and FS Brandon Bellamy. Baker was Coach Caruzzo's first ever draft pick in Tampa Bay, and will bring stability to the left side of the line (or the right if the Jets draft a LT). Baker is a phenomenal run blocker, and is borderline elite in pass protection. Connor is a solid player who was never really given a shot, and he will back up David Harris in the middle. Finally, Bellamy is a player that really excites Coach Caruzzo. Caruzzo coveted Bellamy, the 11th overall pick in 2010, last year when he was inexplicably released, but Bellamy opted to sit the year out. Now that he has returned to football, Coach Caruzzo wasted no time snapping him up, and he still has the potential and youth (24) to become a star in this league.

Lost amid these signings were a pair of important trades. Up first came the acquisition of HB Antonio Usher from the Lions, costing the Jets a pair of 6th round draft choices (#s 165, 184). Usher was the 48th overall selection in the 2009 draft, but was never given a chance to succeed, amassing only 78 carries for 229 yards and 3 TDs (a very poor 2.9 YPC) over 3 seasons. Coach Caruzzo believes that Usher can regain the form that made him a great prospect, and, for now, he stands to split time with incumbent starter Ahmad Bradshaw. In the second move, the Jets traded last year's starting QB Troy Lamerson for a 2nd round pick (#34) from the Panthers. Although Lamerson played decently, and had a solid future ahead of him, QB Anquan Taylor's contract and upside was enough to deal away Lamerson.

The contract details for the players acquired are as follows:
ROLB Keith Rivers: 7 years, $51M, $10M bonus
WR Early Doucet: 4 years, $20M, 3.5M bonus
LT Sam Baker: 4 years, $11M, 3.5M bonus, 750k incentive for starting 16 games
MLB Dan Connor: 5 years, 4.4M, 500k bonus, 250k incentives for 100 tackles, 10 sacks
FS Brandon Bellamy: 5 years, 6M, 1M bonus, 500k incentives for 5 interceptions, 50 tackles

Additionally, Antonio Usher has 1 more season at $610k on his rookie contract.

Up next comes the draft, in which the Jets hold the following picks:
1 - 6
2 - 34
2 - 38
2 - 44
3 - 70
4 - 119
6 - 166

Look for a draft preview in our next installment of offseason outlook.

Last edited by milkman41; 03-18-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
Pro

Offseason Outlook: Coaching, Free Agency Recap

As free agency winds down, we will take a look at all the major news across the league, as several teams have changed coaching staffs and/or have added key free agents. First, the coaching recap:

Bears: None.
Bengals: HB Monte Kiffin retires, OC Bob Bratkowski promoted to HC, Mike Sheppard promoted to OC.
Bills: ST, QB coaches changed.
Broncos: LB, DL coaches changed.
Browns: GM Bill Savant fired, GM Ted Baldwin hired.
Buccaneers: HC Steve Caruzzo released, HC Alex Gibbs hired.
Cardinals: New RBC.
Chargers: New QBC.
Chiefs: New DLC.
Colts: Hired former K Adam Vinatieri as STC.
Cowboys: None.
Dolphins: Fired HC Mike Tomlin, hired HC Andy Ried. New WRC, DBC.
Eagles: Special teams, running back coaches changed.
Falcons: OC Mike Mularkey fired, OC Scott Linehan hired, GM Josh McClout fired, GM Bill Savant hired, new OLC.
4ers: DC Mike Singletary fired, Bob Sanders hired. New OLC (Trent Dilfer!), LBC, DBC, Trainer.
Giants: Former HB Warrick Dunn hired as RBC, new trainer.
Jaguars: None.
Jets: HC Eric Mangini fired, HC Steve Caruzzo hired, OC Lane Kiffin fired, OC Mike Solari hired.
Lions: None.
Packers: New DC, QBC, DLC.
Panthers: HC John Fox fired, HC Eric Mangini hired, OC Mike Solari fired, OC Lane Kiffin hired, GM Marvin Hurley fired, GM Josh McClout hired, new WRC, RBC.
Patriots: STC Josh Looman fired, STC Mike Smith hired, new RBC, DBC
Raiders: New RBC, OLC (former RT Jon Runyan), DBC
Rams: HC Scott Lineham fired, HC Mike Tomlin hired, new Trainer.
Redskins: New OLC, DLC
Seahawks: None.
Steelers: New DBC, Trainer.
Titans: None.
Vikings: None.

And now for the biggest signings of the offseason.

Browns sign TE Dallas Clark
Buccaneers sign QB Daunte Culpepper
Cardinals sign ROLB Keith Bulluck
Cowboys sign LOLB Jerod Mayo
Eagles sign CB Shawn Springs, HB Chester Taylor
Falcons sign LT Tony Ugoh
49ers sign HB Ray Rice
Giants sign HB Ricky Williams
Jaguars sign CB Corey Webster, FS Reggie Nelson, LOLB LaMarr Woodley, WR Anquan Boldin
Packers sign TE Tony Gonzalez
Panthers sign the other Steve Smith, WR
Patriots sign ROLB James Harrison
Raiders sign WR Donnie Avery, RE Mario Williams, MLB James Farrior
Rams sign MLB Bart Scott
Redskins sign QB Josh Johnson
Saints QB Andre Woodson
Seahawks sign QB Drew Brees, WR Terrell Owens
Steelers sign RT Jeff Otah, C Jeff Faine, CB Brandon Flowers
Texans sign LOLB Michael Boley
Titans sign LG Brian Waters, SS Donte Whitner
Vikings sign CB Aqib Talib

And now, finally, the important retirements of the offseason:
LG Steve Hutchinson - Vikings
ROLB Julian Peterson - Seahawks
MLB London Fletcher-Baker - Redskins
MLB Ray Lewis - Bills
LT Jonathan Ogden - Ravens
FS Brian Dawkins - Eagles
C Jeff Saturday - Titans
LT William 'Tra' Thomas - Eagles
DT Jamal Williams - Bengals

Last edited by milkman41; 03-19-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #8
Pro

Offseason Outlook: Draft Preview

2009 Draft Review
It is said that it takes 3 years to properly evaluate a draft class. With that in mind, now, on the eve of the 2012 draft, and Head Coach Steve Caruzzo's first draft with the Jets, we look back on the 2009 draft. Coach Caruzzo's and the Jets' picks are bolded below.

2009 Draft Round 1
1. Raiders - HB Maceo Sweetney: Sweetney has put up absurd numbers receiving in Gary Hammermill's offense, finishing with 5232 yards and 38 touchdowns on 244 receptions over the past 3 seasons. Though he has only rushed for 1263 yards and 16 touchdowns on 338 attempts (3.7 YPC) over that time, he is an elite running back both through the air and on the ground.
2. Dolphins - QB Luke Rambis: Although the numbers are not quite there yet, Rambis is an elite quarterback based on his tools. The starter in Miami since day one, Rambis has amassed 7724 yards, 46 TDs, and 34 INTs on 607 - 1091 passing (55%), for a decent 79.0 QB rating. Rambis has also shown strong progress throughout his career, although his rookie season was the finest in terms of raw numbers.
3. Jets - RE Andre Dalembert: Dalembert has become an elite defensive end, as, despite playing as a 3 - 4 end, he put up 10 sacks in 2010. For his career, he has 91 tackles, 40 for a loss, and 16 sacks. Look for Dalembert to explode in 2012 under Coach Caruzzo, who got a very similar player in Calais Campbell to post consecutive 20+ sack seasons.
4. Panthers - QB Darrick Conroy: Conroy still has the potential to be an elite quarterback, but, due to poor management in Carolina, has never been given a chance. The Panthers just traded for former Jets 1st-rounder Troy Lamerson, so Conroy will continue to rot on the bench with his giant contract. What a waste by the Panthers.
5. Redskins - WR Tyrus Duhon: Duhon is one of the best wide receivers in the game right now. Despite not playing his rookie season, Duhon has put up consecutive 1000-yard seasons playing in a run-heavy offense. With 131 receptions for 2089 yards and 8 TDs in his career, Duhon will only get better.
6. Ravens - WR Jamaal Kidd: Kidd has blossomed into one of the best young WRs in the game, surpassing 1000 yards in each of his 3 seasons. For his career, he has 3753 yards and 20 TDs on 268 receptions.
7. Buccaneers - DT Thaddeus Cheeks: Cheeks has become an elite DT, as he has been to the Pro Bowl in each of his 3 seasons. For his career, Cheeks has 86 tackles, 38 for a loss, and 20 sacks, very good numbers for a defensive tackle.
8. Packers - WR Defazio Combs: Combs has been good but stuck behind great receivers in Green Bay, but should see his chance to shine this season. Combs has 112 career catches for 1270 yards and 10 TDs.
9. Cardinals - CB O.J. McClintock: McClintock finally ascended to the starting lineup this past season, and responded nicely with 4 interceptions. For his career, he has 70 tackles and 4 interceptions.
10. 49ers - LE Lamaar Marbury: Despite playing as a 3 - 4 end, Marbury's production has rivaled that of #3 overall pick Andre Dalembert (also a 3 - 4 end). Marbury has totalled 111 tackles, 46 for a loss, and 19 sacks over his career so far, and is a great defensive end.
11. Bears (from Bengals) - HB Kendrick House: House has been stuck behind veteran running backs Deuce McAlister and Edgerrin James during his tenure in Chicago, but now gets a chance to start and shine. He has 57 career rushes for 199 yards and 3 TD (3.4 YPC).
12. Cardinals (from Vikings) - QB Drew Trumblee: Trumblee has yet to see significant action, only seeing time in 2011, when he completed 40 of 72 attempts (55%) for 547 yards, 2 TDs, and 3 INTs, for a 71.9 QB rating. The decision to trade up to draft him was questionable given the presence of Trumblee's predecessor at Louisville QB Brian Brohm, who is now the starter.
13. Lions - FS Ryan Spradlin: Bust. Spradlin has not done anything yet, and was cut after the 2010 season. After a year out of football, the Broncos have signed him, hoping for him to realize his great potential. Though he has only 3 career tackles, he can be great.
14. Rams - CB Courtney Porter: Porter is still on the team, but hasn't made much of an impact, with 37 tackles and no interceptions over 3 years. He has talent however, and it is not too late for him to flourish.
15. Texans - LT Patrick Fox: Fox has become a good, but unspectacular, LT, and, at 15, was good value. For his career, Fox has 96 pancakes, has been successful on 63% of his run blocks, and has given up 21 sacks, poor numbers that aren't entirely indicative of his performance.
16. Steelers (from Bills) - FS Antoine Jefferson: Jefferson has proven to be worth the trade up, as he has solidified the FS position across from star SS Troy Polamalu. For his career, Jefferson has 126 tackles and 4 interceptions.
17. Chiefs - CB Renaldo Moon: Moon has become a fantastic young cornerback, as he is now the Chiefs #1 CB. For his career, he has 254 tackles, 10 interceptions, 35 deflections, and 4 forced fumbles.
18. Broncos - WR Montario Tartt III: Tartt still hasn't developed quite how the Broncos envisioned, but he has been decent, with 64 career receptions for 1076 yards and 8 TDs.
19. Steelers - CB Corwin Hamilton: Bust. Out of football.
20. Ravens (from Eagles) - MLB Martin McPeek: McPeek has been great as legend Ray Lewis's replacement in Baltimore, with 343 career tackles, 24 for a loss, 12 sacks, and 5 interceptions.
21. Eagles - MLB Shane Gilmore: Bust. Out of football, the Eagles shouldn't have traded out of 20 and pick McPeek.
22. Browns - WR Thomas Dwyer: Dwyer has been a bust as a wide receiver, as he has yet to catch a pass in the NFL. He has however been a great kick returner, with 105 career kick returns for 2873 yards (27.3 avg) and 100 punt returns for 781 yards and 1 TD (7.8 avg).
23. Colts (from Bucs) - LOLB Jayshaun Ralls: Ralls has become a very good outside linebacker in the Colts Cover 2 defense, as he has totaled 166 tackles, 3 for a loss, 1 sack, 12 interceptions, and 18 deflections over his 3 seasons.
24. Lions - LOLB LaTroy Jackson: Though Jackson hasn't blossomed yet, New England signed the recently-cut Jackson to a nice contract, banking on his unrealized potential. Has 38 career tackles, 2 for a loss, and 2 sacks. Another bad pick for the Lions.
25. Titans - TE Cooper Hooper: Hooper has nicely blossomed into a Pro Bowl caliber player, and he has 1682 yards and 15 TDs on 162 career receptions.
26. Cowboys - CB Samardo Thomas: Bust. Currently a free agent, has 18 career tackles.
27. Saints - CB Mario Markland: Markland hasn't done much yet, and was a salary cap casualty after 2 seasons in New Orleans. Currently on the Lions, has 65 career tackles and 1 interception.
28. Eagles - ROLB Maurice Ghoggins: Bust, as the Eagles whiff on two straight linebackers.. Currently a free agent, he has 65 career tackles, 2 for a loss, 1 sack, and 1 interception.
29. Giants (from Bucs from Colts) - RT Shaun Scobee: Scobee has mostly played behind RT Kareem McKenzie the past 3 seasons, but will now most likely start, and is a solid right tackle.
30. Giants - CB Braylon Bowe-Drew: Bowe-Drew is a solid cornerback, though he has barely played over the past 3 seasons. Bowe-Drew has 20 tackles for his career.
31. Seahawks - RE Emeka Mourning: Mourning has been stuck behind RE Elvis Dumervil the past three seasons, but has been decent, with 52 tackles, 9 for a loss, 3 sacks, and 1 interception.
32. Jaguars - WR Jamario Baston: Baston has given the Jaguars solid production for the #32 overall pick, with 163 career receptions for 229 yards and 8 TDs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties »