Home

Fate and Fortune: The Andy McCutcheon Story (NBA 2K13)

This is a discussion on Fate and Fortune: The Andy McCutcheon Story (NBA 2K13) within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #1
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

OVR: 0
Fate and Fortune: The Andy McCutcheon Story (NBA 2K13)

Rosters: StatTic_GuNz Ultimate Roster V1.0
Sliders: Default
Quarter Length: 10 Minutes
Sim Quarter Length: 12 Minutes
Draft Class: SuperMario_29
Season Length: 82 Games
Playoff Format: 7-7-7-7
Injuries: On
Progressive Fatigue: On
Player Roles: On
Team Chemistry: On
CPU Trades: On
Trade Override: On

It's been nearly two years since I've had the basketball dynasty itch, but I'm back. 2K13 has blown me out of the water and I'm in love, deeply, with it. My last chise was this one: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...s-dynasty.html

It went pretty well but life got in the way. This time I'm hoping life will stay out of the way, lol.

This is going to be a GM Dynasty, focusing on all the personnel dynamics, off the court stuff, and pretty much everything else involved in running a team. Consider this a show of sorts ... we're gonna have main characters, recurring characters, and guest stars galore. I'm starting out with a team I hope to stick with for the long term, but I won't rule out moving on to a different team should storyline/game reasons dictate as such. The NBA is a fluid league and I aim to keep it that way.

The CPU trading ability is on (to keep things dynamic) and trade override is on (so I can correct some bad CPU trades/replicate real life big trades if need be). Before the beginning of every season I'll go through and "correct" the CPU teams that made idiotic draft choices/free agent signings/trades if need be. I wanna keep things semi-realistic, but it's a game so sometimes dumb AI will screw it up.

I'll play roughly a third of the games and simulate the other two-thirds, so as to keep things interesting. Any and all comments are welcome-bad, good, what have you-and I hope you people enjoy.

Episode One, which will set up the story, will be up in the morning, so until then folks.

Last edited by trekfan; 10-22-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Re: Fate and Fortune: The Andy McCutcheon Story (NBA 2K13)

10-19-2012
Phoenix, AZ

His hands were sweaty as the grabbed onto his car keys. “Come on baby … just start,” he begged his car.

He cranked it.

It struggled, the engine in it slowly rumbling to life, and then it cut off.

His fist collided with the steering wheel. “****!” He got out of his car and stood off it, staring it. “Damn you, just start already!”

His red 1995 Ford Explorer, the paint on it peeling off, did nothing to answer him.

He began to pace, his eyes looking out into the distance. Nothing … nothing but desert and here he was, stuck on some damned back road, with a

busted car.

He was late. He was late for the front office meeting and this was his first one ever … this was the thing he was looking forward to all week.

He took out his iphone and grimaced. Still no service.

He was dead out here unless he got his car to cooperate.

He shot the vehicle a glare. “All right … I’ll make a deal with you.” He got back into the car and shut the door, his hands firmly on the steering wheel.

He caressed it for a moment, trying to relax his car or himself: probably both. “If you start now we can make the meeting before it’s over … we’ll be late but at least we’ll be there. If you do this for me I promise you a new paint job.”

He grabbed the keys again and reiterated, “I swear it. Seriously.”

He took a deep breath and cranked the car.

Again the engine rumbled to life and then it started to struggle … but it pulled through.

AC/DC blasted through the speakers and he sighed in relief. He buckled up and stepped on the gas.

It wasn’t more than thirty minutes later when his phone got service back. He was already an hour late to the meeting so he figured he’d have some missed calls.

He didn’t figure he’d have fifty-seven of them.

Most of them were from family and friends.

Fear welled up inside of him. Had one of his family members had an accident? Was someone in trouble?

He glanced at the clock and saw that he was going to be cutting it close. Making the end of the meeting didn’t seem important now.

He pulled off into town at a Burger King, a place he hated but it was the first place he saw.

He called his Mom up.

“Oh My GOD!” She screamed into the phone. He recoiled but she kept on.
“Are you all right?! What happened?! Please, tell me you’re all right!”

“Mom, mom, whoa,” he yelled into the phone, annoyed. What the hell was she talking about? “Why are you and everyone else calling me all of the sudden? What’s going on?”

There was a strange silence on the other end of the line. His mother’s voice got very quiet. “You don’t know, Andrew?”

He winced at her using his full name. “Mom, what happened?”

“ … there’s been a shooting … at the Suns arena …”

Andy’s eyes widened. “What?”

“They’re saying it’s a bloodbath … it’s all over the news.”

His throat went dry. “Mom, I got to go.”

“Andrew, I’m sorry.”

He didn’t answer, just ended the call. He leapt out of the car and ran into Burger King.

Everyone there was transfixed on the TV.

The volume was on.

“ … and recent reports have confirmed the deaths of at least a dozen individuals in this shooting, with at least seven more critically wounded. For those of you just joining us, the developing story is that of a devastating shooting at the US Airways Center. Early reports indicate that a gunman, possibly a Phoenix Suns security officer, opened fire in the building. Eye witness accounts of the shooting say the gunman was visibly distraught and kept repeating ‘For Nash’ as he attacked the people in the building…”

Andy stared at the screen as the images of people crying filled the screen.

He slumped down in a nearby chair.

One Week Later …

This was a disaster. Robert Sarver sat in his private jet, his plane flying into Phoenix. He hadn’t slept well in a week now … the shooting at the arena continued to play through his mind. He was supposed to make an appearance at that meeting but canceled so he could do some golf.

He was lucky.

But the thought that he could be dead … that he could be in some afterlife or stuck in a personal hell right now … it kept him up at night. It kept him from sleeping much at all. He had to turn to pills in order to get his rest.

He rubbed his forehead and poured himself another drink.

Maybe it was too early in the day for this but he didn’t care at this point.

He needed this drink to calm his nerves and shut his mind up.

“You really ought to cut back on that.”

He glanced over at his personal assistant and frowned at her. “You’re not to tell my wife.”

“Do I tell her anything?” The lithe blonde responded back with a smirk.

He rolled his eyes. Youth … ignorant. Stupid. Cocky. They were good at only one thing: Wasting money.

“Veronica—”

“Yes?”

He glared at her. “Explain to me again how you’re related to me.”

She frowned. “I’m your wife’s sister’s niece—”

He groaned and waved his hand dismissively. “Never mind … you’re the reason I need more of this,” he said as he held up his now empty glass. He

hadn’t even realized he drank it all but then, Veronica had a way of

distracting him from important business.

Sitting across from him she brought out an iPad and began to scroll through it. “You need to make a decision on the front office.”

“What front office?” He shot back angrily. After a moment he sighed and rubbed his forehead again. “Sorry.”

She stared at him. “The front office is all gone.”

“I know.”

“Dead.”

He gripped his glass tighter. “I know.”

She leaned forward. “So what do we do?”

He set his glass down and stared out the window. Phoenix was below them. They’d be landing in ten minutes or so. “We’re going to pay the contracts to all those that died in the shooting … their families will get money.”

“Really?” She asked surprised.

He looked at her and nodded. “It’s not about the money … not this time. If we start citing clauses and try to cut costs on this the PR nightmare will kill this upcoming season. People are still up in arms over Steve Nash.”

“That one lunatic in particular,” she added.

“Yes … him.” He sighed. “So we’ll pay that. We just need a stop gap measure for this year.”

Veronica scrolled through her iPad. “Paying out those contracts to the deceased is going to take a large chunk out of this year’s projected budget.”

He had done the math. He was aware of that. Why did she assume he wasn’t? “And?” He asked, annoyed.

“And … well, hiring even a temporary front office staff at usual league rates, for only a year, will put us over budget.” She looked up at him knowingly. “You hate that.”

“I do.” He poured himself another drink and knocked it down in one shot.

“What about that scout … the one who missed the meeting like me?”

She scrolled through her iPad. “McCutcheon, Andrew … he’s actually still working.”

Robert looked at her with a raised eyebrow. “Really?”

“He didn’t take the leave granted to him … odd.”

“Maybe … maybe he’s what we need.”

She chuckled. “He’s a scout, not a GM.”

“He’s paid like a scout … we can give him a modest bump in salary, give him the reins to the team for this year.”

She stared at him. “Bull ****.”

“No bull ****.”

“You can’t be serious! He’s only 24 … he’s younger than me!”

He flashed her a smirk, happy to get the upper hand on her. “You hate that.”

She put her iPad down and crossed her arms. “He’s only younger than me by a few months.”

“It makes sense.”

“He’s 24.”

“So are you.”

She pointed at him. “So why not name me the intern GM?”

“Do you want to be fired at the end of season?” Her finger dropped as she realized what he was saying. “He’s a temporary measure … he’ll get paid cheap.”

“What about the rest of the office?”

He sat back in his chair, a feeling of satisfaction rising up in him. “We’ll let him hire some people … we’ll keep the staff small and keep them on one year deals. After the season we simply cut them loose and start the process of looking for real talent in the front office.”

She cast a glance out the window. “And the fans?”

“The media will eat this up … 24 year old scout, one of a few survivors from a horrendous event, being put in charge of a team? They’ll love it. We’ll win the PR battle and by the time the season is over everyone will have forgotten about this.”

She sighed. “You’re going to do this, aren’t you?”

“Yes.”

She looked at him questioningly. “And if he’s actually good at it?”

He poured himself another glass and smirked at her. “Then we get good front office talent for cheap.”

“Cheap … your favorite word.”

He shook his head. “My dear, it’s not about cheapness … it’s about efficiency.”

“And this is efficient?”

He drank from his glass and set it down. “It’s a win-win either way … that’s as efficient as it gets.”

Last edited by trekfan; 10-19-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

10-28-2012
US Airways Center

He took a deep breath and tried to get up from the chair. Again, his legs were uncooperative. They seemed unable to move and that was simply because they didn’t want to move. He didn’t want to move. He was in this seat, in this chair, and he didn’t want to leave it.

It still hadn’t sunk he guessed. He’d been sitting here now for hours, the press conference had come and gone. It was a blur really … there was hand shaking, words of support, lots of pictures and questions all while the owner of the team, Robert Sarver, sat beside him and watched.

He was named General Manager of the Phoenix Suns … he was the youngest GM in league history now. A 24 year old kid from the middle of Colorado and here he was in Arizona running an NBA team.

The contract had been signed the day before. It hadn’t taken him long to make up his mind.

This was his moment … his opportunity.

This was why he was still alive.

He leaned back in the chair and looked out into the empty room, the chairs equally empty.

He didn’t know many people in the front office. They weren’t a tight knit group … he was just a scout so he was on the road a lot, looking at players and teams. It wasn’t a glamorous or well paying life but it was one he liked. The travel was good, the work was good, and the ability to learn about the game he loved was there.

It’s why he had taken this job.

His parents had hated it. They didn’t work their tails off so he could get a

degree and then waste it by being a low level scout for an NBA team.

But he had made the decision and he moved out here over a year ago to be that scout. He did his job. He met some people.

And now he was the last one left of the Phoenix Suns front office.

“Lonely at the top?”

He whipped his head around to see Mr. Sarver’s personal assistant,

Veronica, leaning against the doorframe. She was young. She was damned good looking.

And she was blonde. He had a weakness for blondes.

He cleared his throat. “Just … thinking, that’s all.”

“I’ve been standing here for nearly thirty minutes now, Andrew.”

He winced. “Andy, please … just call me Andy.”

She smirked and sat down in one of the empty chairs in the press area. “All

right, Andy … how does it feel?”

“How does what feel, exactly?”

“Being GM.”

He sighed. He wasn’t sure what it felt like. Part of him was excited but that was tempered by the knowledge that the only reason he got the job was because a lot of good people died … and the team owner was a cheap bastard.

He had given him a bump in salary but Andy knew he was being paid like a chump.

That was fine by him. He hadn’t earned the money.

“It feels … weird,” he finally admitted. “I’m not sure what to make of it.”

She nodded. “So what do you plan to do?”

“First?”

“Yes, first,” she said while rolling her eyes.

He leaned back. He knew what he needed to do first. “I need a staff.”

“We don’t have a lot of money to work with.”

“I know.”

“Then who are you going to hire?”

He looked at her with surprise. “Me? Hire people?”

She smiled coolly. “You are the GM … you make the calls as to who’s on your staff.”

He hadn’t considered that. He knew he could suggest people but to have final say … “I know some guys.”

“Other scouts.”

He nodded. She wasn’t a dumb blonde, that was for sure. “We need some and I need people I can trust … so I’ll get in contact with them. See if they want in.”

“You know—”

“That we won’t pay top dollar, yes, I know,” he said with a chuckle. “We have a reputation to live up to.”

She smirked and stood from her chair. “One question.”

“Sure.”

“Are you actually going to try to do this job? Are you really going to try and make trades? Sign players?”

Andy nodded. “I can’t do any less … it’s what the others would have done if they were still here.”

That seemed to answer her question. “I see … good night.” She walked out of the room.

He was left again alone.

“Here’s to you guys,” he said to the empty room.

10-29-2012
New Orleans

“What the hell do you mean ‘I need you’?” The older man grumbled as he chomped on his cigar, the smoke gathering around them both.

Andy cleared his throat. He was going to start at the top. “Gil, I need you. You’re the best scout I’ve ever known.”

He scoffed. “I taught you a lot of what you know.”

“Not just me, you taught an entire generation of scouts,” Andy insisted. “I know you’re retired—”

“Semi-retired,” he corrected. He put his cigar in the tray and squinted at Andy. “I have bills that are older than you, kid,” he said with a grimace.

“Well, couldn’t you use an income influx?”

“I don’t work for the money,” he growled.

Andy sighed. “You’re … what, seventy-two?”

“Sixty-four,” he corrected angrily.

“Well, don’t you want some money to live off of when you retire?”

“People who retire are good for one thing: taking up space. I’m not gonna be a waste of space.”

Andy rubbed his forehead. “Gil, I need an assistant GM. Someone who

knows the league. I flew out here for you … you know just about everyone in this league.”

“It’s not like they send Christmas cards,” he quipped, picking up his cigar and smoking it again.

“But you know them,” Andy reiterated. He put down the contract offer on the desk.

Gil stared at it before putting his cigar out in the tray. “You’re serious?”

“I need you … Gil, I have ideas on how to do this but I’m over my head. Virtually everyone in the league knows this.”

“Damn straight.”

Andy smirked. He did love that brutal honesty. “I want to make moves. I want to make big moves.”

“With the Suns? The Steve Nash-less Suns?” Gil shook his head. “Your roster is … decent, and that’s about it.”

“I have guys others will want. Like the Hornets.”

Gil smirked. “You’ve kept you ears to the ground, huh?”

“Like you always said … listen to everything everyone says.” He leaned back in the chair and put his arms behind his head. “I know we missed out on Eric Gordon during the summer.”

“Swung, missed, and then decided to call a foul ball a homerun.” Gil thumbed his nose. “Beasley was a **** signing.”

Andy nodded. “I and a few others said as much … but that can be fixed.”

“Gordon wants out of here, bad. He wants to Phoenix, bad. The Hornets are gonna fleece you, bad, if you try to get him now,” Gil said as he pounded the desk for emphasis. “What are you gonna give them?”

“I’ll tell you if you sign the contract.”

Gil narrowed his eyes. “And if I don’t?”

“Then I’ll buy you lunch and we can talk about other things,” Andy said with a shrug.

Gil stared at the contract for a moment before grabbing a pen, signing it, and tossing it into Andy’s lap. “Talk.”

Andy smirked. He could always count on Gil’s need to know. “I have a contact in the Hornet’s organization—”

“Skip the history lesson.”

Andy rolled his eyes. “Gordon is making a stink of it in the Hornets locker room. He was traded from LA to here and he hates it here. He was supposed to be the big piece in the trade and instead he’s been relegated to the third wheel … fans are more excited for Davis and Rivers than him. He wants out.”

Gil looked unimpressed. “So? He’s locked in for three years and tons of cash.”

“The Hornets don’t want a Carmelo situation … they’re gonna move Gordon before the season starts.”

“In a few days? To who?”

“To us if we give them Beasley, Brown, Telfair, and a first round pick.”

The older man scoffed. “For what? Just Gordon?”

“Gordon, Vasquez, and Darius Miller.”

“Three starter caliber players for one-when healthy-good starter and two prospects, one of which is likely worth nothing? You realize your team—”

Andy held up a finger. “Our team.”

“Our team … fine, you realize our team is stuck between rebuilding and contending. This is the worst position to be in for a team … we need to commit to rebuilding which means we need draft picks, not overpaid good, sometimes healthy, injury prone players like Gordon.”

Andy shook his head. “Gordon’s injury last year was a fluke, it was a shortened season … he’ll be fine this year. We wanted him in the offseason anyway, this way we get him and get a splash guy. We need some positive news out there, Gil …” Andy’s face grew dark. “We need good news period after what happened.”

Gil jabbed a finger at him. “Exactly the reason you should just go into full rebuilding mode now. Don’t get people’s hopes up with this … you don’t have the pieces to compete in the conference, let alone the division. The Lakers, Clippers, Kings, and Warriors are all in better positions to make a run at something than you are. The Suns are bottom dwellers in the division and will be for at least this year … maybe in free agency you have a shot.”

“We can compete now,” Andy insisted, his hands gripping the edge of the desk. “We just need to get Gordon. Everything else will fall into place if we get him.”

“You want to build around him and Dragic? Good luck … two 6’3 guys in the backcourt in this conference is just conceding points to the opposing guards.” Gil leaned his head back and sighed.

Andy stood from the desk. “The decision has already been made, Gil.”

He stared at him. “You submitted the paperwork? Already?”

“By tomorrow the deal will be finalized and approved.” Andy winked at him. “I just wanted to see what you thought.”

“This is a ****ty idea.”

Andy smirked. “Maybe … we’ll see, won’t we?”

Gil stared at him, shook his head, and stood up. “Lunch. Now. You’re paying.” With that, he grabbed his coat and walked out the door.

Andy followed.

And so it began …

Old 10-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #4
MVP

Knickerbocker91's Arena

OVR: 9

Got to say I like the concept (while I may not overly approve of the method of becoming GM, bonus points for its uniqueness), definitely following.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knickerbocker91
Got to say I like the concept (while I may not overly approve of the method of becoming GM, bonus points for its uniqueness), definitely following.
Yeah, the method of becoming the GM was messy to say the least. It would never happen like that IRL but here, in this little world, it's happening. There is a valid in story reason for why that event was necessary that will become apparent as we get further along in the season, it's not just a throw away thing. Such an event has long reaching consequences as we'll see.

Thanks for following Just played the first game of the regular season and man, what a blast it was. Stats and story write up shall be up in the morning.

Last edited by trekfan; 10-20-2012 at 01:13 AM. Reason: I'm tired and can't write anymore. I'm going to bed, lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

10-30-2012
Phoenix

“He did what?!” She screamed into the phone. She wasn’t even dressed yet and already she felt like she’d been at work all day. Her blonde hair was a complete disaster but it apparently wasn’t as much a disaster as what was going on in the front office.

“Calm down, Veronica … Christ, you’re not paying for it, I am,”
Robert said over the phone, his tone that of annoyance. “McCutcheon made some trades.”

She couldn’t believe what she was hearing. She knew the guy said he was going to try to do this job but to really do it … “You don’t sound upset,” she observed as she put her phone on speaker so she could continue to get ready.

“I’m not super-happy about it … but he’s still in the black as far as money is concerned. We’re not paying any tax either at the moment … he’s doing everything I’ve directed him to so far. I’m not pissed but I’ve been kept up to date on the matter.”

She set her comb down at glared at the phone. “And you didn’t tell me?”

“Who’s the personal assistant here?”
He shot back.

She scowled and continued to comb her hair. “Damn it, I can do what he’s doing you know … it doesn’t take a genius to get fleeced.”

“Yeah, maybe so … but it does take a bit of guts to even try this. Getting Gordon is gonna be a huge PR boost for us.”

“More than the ‘loser scout gets promoted to GM’ boost?” She seethed.

He heard her but continued on, paying her tone no mind. “Yeah, more than that. The fans need a player they can unite behind … Dragic is fine, Gortat is fine, but Eric Gordon is one that scores in bunches and has serious potential. The fans almost universal like him.”

“Running a team isn’t a popularity contest.”

“Well, it’s not just Gordon he’s bringing in … he also signed someone too.”

Veronica rolled her eyes and looked at herself in the mirror, mouthing silently something a lady shouldn’t say.

“Are you there?”

She gathered herself, putting her anger aside. “Yes, I’m here.”

“Good … I’m going to need you to run point on this. Get in contact with our usual people, get a good story out there, and get us some good publicity.”

“What about our mystery free agent signing? Who is he?”

She could almost hear the self-satisfied smirk forming over the phone. “Number one draft pick from Ohio State a few years back … we’ll talk later.”

The phone call ended and she stared at it.

McCutcheon traded for Gordon AND signed the most fragile big man in the NBA today?

She grabbed the phone, grabbed her keys, and walked out of her apartment mumbling to herself, “Men are idiots.”

Old 10-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

A new dawn: Suns make moves

Tim Hardy

October 30, 2012

PHOENIX – It didn’t take long for new General Manager Andy McCutcheon to make a splash.

In less than two days McCutcheon has completely changed the dynamic of the team and put his own personal stamp on the franchise. At only 24 years old, McCutcheon is showing two things commonly associated with youth: impatience and hunger.

The trades became official this morning. The Phoenix Suns have sent Michael Beasley, Shannon Brown, Sebastian Telfair, and a 2013 first round pick to the New Orleans Hornets for Eric Gordon, Grevis Vasquez, and Darius Miller.

The Suns then traded Jermaine O’Neal to the Orlando Magic for Gustavo Ayon and a 2013 second round pick.

Following that, they signed former number one overall pick Greg Oden to a two year contract at the league minimum, with a team option for a third year.

“Blown away,” said one NBA executive, who has chosen to remain anonymous. “I didn’t expect Phoenix to be active at all in the trade market, not this year anyway. They seemed quite happy with the core they had.”

Seemed would be the operating word. This type of activity is usually reserved for other teams in the Pacific division … a certain one in purple and gold to be precise. But that was the way the Suns operated before the shocking events of earlier this month.

“Don’t think that didn’t have something to do with,” said the NBA executive. “It was a wake-up call around the league in terms of security measures but it’s also woken up the Phoenix Suns. A crazed fan took out his years of frustration about the team’s frugal approach on the front office staff … there’s no way to justify that but if I were McCutcheon, I’d be aware of it.”

Eric Gordon is the biggest piece of this trade in terms of potential as well as salary figures. Scheduled to make 13.67 million dollars this year alone, Gordon’s ability to score and provide excitement to this franchise cannot be overstated.

“I’m ready,” Gordon said when asked about what his role on the team. “We tried to work something out this summer but it didn’t happen. I’m just glad they came and they got me … I want to thank New Orleans for everything they did, of course, but the two of us just didn’t fit well together. They’re moving on … so am I. I’m excited to be here and I look forward to bringing a championship to Phoenix.”

Whoa … a championship you say? Something not even the great Steve Nash could do?

“There’s a different feeling in the air here now … I played against the Suns when I was with the Clippers. You always knew they’d bring their best game but guys on the team weren’t sure if the front office was bringing their best game some days … I don’t get that feeling. I know they are … I have faith.”

Faith. It’s a big word and one that generally isn’t associated with the Suns anymore. Suns fans had faith that Steve Nash and Amar'e Stoudemire would become the best pick and roll duo ever while leading Phoenix to its first championship. They had faith that, even without Amar'e, Steve Nash could get the team to the playoffs. They had faith Steve Nash would never wear the uniform of the Lakers.

They had faith a madman could never slaughter people inside an NBA arena.

Those things are in the past now. They can’t be changed. Neither can the fact that faith has to be earned.

McCutcheon has launched a new era for the Suns in a bold, if not brash, move.

Let’s hope this new dawn doesn’t lead to an early sunset.

Last edited by trekfan; 10-20-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Sandy Collins

10-30-12

Was up, Shiners! Did you see the news today about the Suns? Of course you did, you’re all smart, loyal, fans.

Well, I saw the news and I was instantly on my feet, pumping my fists in excitement. This was a bit awkward for me because I was getting a pedicure but when I got the update on my phone I could do no less. I did tip extra well this time though to make up for it.

I’m super-excited about this! I didn’t think the Suns had any shot of doing much of anything this year, except be entertaining in the games (because they always are). But now with Eric Gordon coming in and even Greg Oden (glass bones and all), I think we have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs.

Look at our starting five! Really, look … okay, they’re pretty ugly ladies (Gortat and Scola are not sexy at all) but they’re good at a lot of things. Gortat and Scola are rebounding monsters, Gortat brings the defense while Scola brings the offense. J-Dud is back as a starter, where he should be, playing solid defense and knocking down the three. Eric Gordon and Dragic are both dynamic scorers and passers, both young and hungry.

I think I’m in love with this team, Shiners. I don’t mean high school love (which, let’s face it, is short lived and often filled with multiple breakups, get backs, and back stabs … why, no, I never suffered anything like that myself ) but “getting kinda serious” love.

Yes, I’m a woman so that means anytime I throw around the “L word” the nearest guy goes and skewers himself because it’s less drama than what I bring to the table … fine, I’ll admit we ladies do use “love” far too much as far as words go.

But I’ve been a lifelong Suns fan and I don't use this word lightly. My parents met at a Suns game, my father claims I was conceived right after the Charles Barkley trade, (my mother says that’s impossible because she wasn’t bored enough to screw him that night but I digress), and I’ve always had an affinity for the “never was” Suns team of my generation.

That would be Backcourt 2000. Jason Kidd and Penny Hardaway … what could have been if those two had managed to stay injury free and together on the court at the same time. I still have my Penny Hardaway jersey from that era … I was excited for them. I loved that team, the idea of two dynamic guards running around the court. Even as a little girl I was all about speed.

I like going fast. The six speeding tickets I have prove that. I like speed and this new Suns’ team before us, Shiners, it’s fast. Dragic and Gordon slashing to the rim, J-Dud blasting away from the arc while Scola and Gortat hustle in the middle … I’m salivating at the thought of it.

Okay, I’m really salivating over the pizza I stuck in the oven for lunch, but you get the idea, lol.

This McCutcheon guy … I thought it was a hoax at first when he got announced for the GM spot. Then I thought we were royally screwed this year because you know Sarver … he’d rather hide money in the mattress than spend it. I figured he hired the cheapest, youngest guy he could just to save some cash. He was gonna take this year off, get us a high draft pick, and maybe make next year better.

But behold, Shiners, it appears my initial feelings were wrong on McCutcheon (yes, I-a woman-just admitted I might be wrong fellas).

I guess we’ll see how this all turns out. Until then guys and gals, remember …

Shine On and Go Suns!

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »