Home

How the Manual Ruined Tony Hawks Pro Skater's Scoring System

This is a discussion on How the Manual Ruined Tony Hawks Pro Skater's Scoring System within the All Other Sports forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
How the Manual Ruined Tony Hawks Pro Skater's Scoring System

If you've taken the newly released Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD online, you might be wondering how some people are posting scores in the millions while the majority of players are still struggling to reach six-digit figures.

The simple answer is the manual. Introduced in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, the manual allows skaters to continue their trick combo onto flat surfaces by simply popping wheelie after wheelie.

Read More - How the Manual Ruined Tony Hawks Pro Skater's Scoring System
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Tony Hawk is dead. Skate is better. The controls in Skate are so much more fluid than the button-tapping mess that is now Tony Hawk Pro Skater.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 13
The first video's following the exact same line with essentially the same tricks throughout (including at least two major air jumps that involved no tricks, presumably used just to line up that long run involving a backflip over the halfpipe into the long grind sequence.

It's not much more interesting than the bunny-hopping in video 2. More realistic, I guess, if getting huge air solely to brush harmlessly against a wall counts for realism.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
Rookie

cosmonautDREW's Arena

OVR: 0
i wholeheartedly disagree. I like Skate for the very reason that it is close to skateboarding, i like Tony Hawk for the madness.

I loved THPS4, which had manuals, reverts, and spine transfers. The skill it took to do a 50 million point combo was astonishing and something to strive for in a creative fashion. It's very much the old school, "i'm gonna go to the arcade and set a record on this machine." Not a lot of games did that then when THPS4 was alive and kicking. Online, the community ended up doing 1 billion point combos from "whore lines" (lines that can be repeated by reverts, manuals and such)

I might have a bias because i was in the community of THPS4 online, but either way, i believe there is something truly lost on casual fans of THPS. It is a much deeper and manic game than people portray it to be.

Here's an example of a creative line from AndyTHPS (a player who ended up working for Neversoft because he was so damn good. He ended up doing level design for THPS series) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVy4dUA71eo
Old 08-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
Rookie

cosmonautDREW's Arena

i don't know how to make that clickable...sorry.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2012, 01:20 AM   #6
Rookie

BIGE888's Arena

OVR: 2
NO.....just.....NO.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:09 AM   #7
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28
That second video was the biggest joke I've ever seen.

While I agree that the first video was just the same thing a couple of times in a row, at least it was more realistic.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:33 AM   #8
Banned

b2th3m1th's Arena

they are both the same and repetitive they both dont take world class skill to do.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports »