Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-04-2005, 04:20 PM   #101
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Skimmed some of this thread so it may already have been stated, but I think that another aspect of this is that, in said "dream game," the dynamics of coach hiring would need to substantially beefed up. Rather than a simple "accept job yes/no" I think it would be cool to have an interviewing process, media interaction, and fallout (loyalty impact on recruiting for example) from your decision to pursue or not pursue jobs.

Last edited by WSUCougar : 10-04-2005 at 04:20 PM.
WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:31 PM   #102
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

Solecismic isn 't a democracy? Walt Whitman would be devastated!
Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:47 PM   #103
dunkem
Mascot

As I mentioned in another thread, it all boils down to the competition in the marketplace. Right now, Jim's competitors are very limited. However, if a competitor arose that put out quality products each year and not mere roster updates, I think his marketing approach and even release frequency would increase. Until someone pushes the bar, Jim can and will use the market to his full advantage, limit his marketing and releasing products when he sees fit.

I personally would love to have job advancement from a small college to the NFL as an option. I'd also be interested in breaking down the job into offensive/defensive coordinator/coach/GM and advancing that way too. However, since there are no competitors yet, there's no reason for Jim to release all the great ideas and enhancements in one release. If Bowl Bound comes out with new features and blows TCY away, then I'm sure that you'll see TCY2 the following year. If SI games decided to come out with college/pro/world american football game merged together, I'm sure Jim would consider merging his games as well. As Jim said, there's no niche right now and he'd just be shooting his wad and limiting his sales if done in this current market.

Without sufficient competition, the smart thing for a business to do is enhance their product with just enough features to justify a new purchase.

With Bowl Bound on the horizon, I think Jim might have TCY2 waiting in the wings to see if it succeeds or not. If Bowl Bound is highly sucessful, Jim will probably incorporate some similar new features in TCY2 along with new ones to regain market advantage in the college football market. If Bowl Bound is buggy or doesn't live up to expectations, TCY2 will probably come out with some new features but enough to make us want to buy it over Bowl Bound.

While some may question Jim's vision and lack of release info, he's running his business as the market environment dictates.
dunkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:00 PM   #104
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Couple of comments:

Sorry for being a little unclear on articulating what my vision was. As was clarified, the game envisioned was a user choosing one or the other or both, along with playing as a coach.

If college football is basically on Saturdays and pro football is basically on Sundays, then why do all of the sims go week to week?

Someone mentioned buying Jim CM/FM. I would prefer that he would play FBCB.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:19 AM   #105
Riggins44
High School JV

I had a vision too...

A really cold guinness and a windows xp version of FPS FBPro (the pre '95 version) with the sundby utils built in.

Ah, there we go... draft that speedy TE and convert him to WR. That's the sweet stuff.
Riggins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:29 AM   #106
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggins44
I had a vision too...

A really cold guinness and a windows xp version of FPS FBPro (the pre '95 version) with the sundby utils built in.

Ah, there we go... draft that speedy TE and convert him to WR. That's the sweet stuff.

Stop the madness! I don't want to think about what could've happened to that game if it were still around today. Dammit if Sierra hadn't let this game die in the cold, they would've had something that would have rivaled Madden (on the PC at least). Imagine what the game would've looked like today. Actually I don't want to think about anymore, because it makes me sad.....*sniffle*.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:34 AM   #107
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

FPS FBPRO -- That game was awesome.
Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:53 AM   #108
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I don't think you will see jim ever combine the two games, unless he loses most of his market share. I agree that a new version of TCY is long overdue, but it seems like FOF is his breadwinner. Personally, I would rather see him just focus on TCY and FOF and not branch out into a new sim.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:25 AM   #109
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggins44
I had a vision too...

I prefer a slightly chilled Guinness, but otherwise I like where you're going with this, keep up the good work.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 08:01 AM   #110
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
I don't think you will see jim ever combine the two games, unless he loses most of his market share. I agree that a new version of TCY is long overdue, but it seems like FOF is his breadwinner. Personally, I would rather see him just focus on TCY and FOF and not branch out into a new sim.

Just a note, but I believe Jim has stated that TCY was by far his best selling game.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 08:09 AM   #111
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Just a note, but I believe Jim has stated that TCY was by far his best selling game.
I think I remember this as well.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote