Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2005, 09:31 PM   #51
Easy Mac

I never said Bulger was better/worse than Warner... frankly, I'm of the impression that Warner had a freaky single season, another solid season (good completion% but a lot of INT's), and then he crashed back to earth.

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:32 PM   #52
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Good way to interject into a conversation. A person who refutes claims and tries to explain their own position is just a "hater". Forgive me for not worshipping a player on your favorite team.

And it was a good game by Hass and Bulger, not a great. They did what they had to do with a totally inept running attack behind both of them.

Bulger made some great passes, as did Hasselbeck.. although Hasselbeck didn't make near as many tight coverage passes as Bulger did today. I thought that last pass he made was a TD though.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:33 PM   #53
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

They didn't do well because of an inept running game, but because they realized that passing the ball would be to their best interest because it was working so well. For the record, I was not calling you a 'hater' for not worshiping Bulger, just making a point that discredits what he has accomplished.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:35 PM   #54
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaystl03
Wow. This conversation is over. If a guy gets hurt he doesn't get replaced. Bulger wasn't the starter in week one last year. Then Warner played bad and got hurt. How could you say he was a full-time starter. But I guess you are proving our point for us by stating he led us to 12 wins.

Ok, you need to clear up the post.

You said he wasn't a full-time starter last year b/c warner started but was hurt. I merely confirmed that Bulger, by your definition, could not be a full time starter this year because he was hurt this year and missed 2 games.

I'm of the opinion he's been a full-time starter for 2 years now.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:38 PM   #55
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

Right and this is his first year of being a full-time, undisputed #1 starting quarterback for the Rams. That is what I am saying and that is true. Not being the #1 QB opening last year and to have Warner fill in another game simply means that he was always right there ready to take his job back when Bulger faltered, but he never did. And I didn't say Bulger took over because he was hurt. I said he played bad and was banged up.

This is his first year being a full-time starter. You still haven't defended your point that this was Bulgers first playoff win. He only had one other playoff start.

Last edited by mtaystl03 : 01-08-2005 at 09:40 PM.
mtaystl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:39 PM   #56
Easy Mac

Quote:
They didn't do well because of an inept running game, but because they realized that passing the ball would be to their best interest because it was working so well. For the record, I was not calling you a 'hater' for not worshiping Bulger, just making a point that discredits what he has accomplished.

Perhaps it was a combination of the two. Combined, the teams rushed (excluding QB rushing as thats normally scrambles) 42 times for 147 yards, or 3.5 ypc. Thats not particularly good.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:40 PM   #57
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

Right, but is that why they played well? No.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:42 PM   #58
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

Whatever, we are getting into some pointless converstation now. I think Bulger is good and you think he isn't. Fine.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:44 PM   #59
Easy Mac

Quote:
Right and this is his first year of being a full-time, undisputed #1 starting quarterback for the Rams. That is what I am saying and that is true. Not being the #1 QB opening last year and to have Warner fill in another game simply means that he was always right there ready to take his job back when Bulger faltered, but he never did.

This is his first year being a full-time starter. You still haven't defended your point that this was Bulgers first playoff win. He only had one other playoff start.

what do I have to defend? I was merely replying to Swggs's statement of:
Quote:
He has put up solid stats with a less-than-healthy Faulk for the past few seasons, won some playoff games (look at the big names that have won fewer playoff games than he has)

I said this was his first playoff win, not one of many. The only big name I can think of who has won less (among active QB's) is Roes-whatever and Eli Manning. Has Pennington or Brees, I don't really plan on football-referencing this at the moment. I'll look over it in a few, but right now he's at the bottom of wins for big-time QB's... not necesarilly his fault, as Carolina was on an insane roll and Faulk couldn't run on Carolina that game thus putting it all on Bulger, but the 3 INT's last year didn't help.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:46 PM   #60
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

Yeah, my bad. I didn't see you were responding to that post. Sorry about that.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:49 PM   #61
Easy Mac

no big deal. He's 21-10 as a starter I think (or somewhere around there), so if he keeps winning, it really shouldn't matter if he's a great QB or a poor one I guess... kind of like Michael Vick
Old 01-08-2005, 09:50 PM   #62
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

I am sorry for getting so defensive but it really chaps my ass when I see posts like the original one saying that the Rams made the wrong decision on their future starting QB because Warner had an amazing year and won a Super Bowl and Bulger has been playing for 2 years and hasn't won one. Under that reasoning, every starting QB that doesn't win a SB in their first year should be run out of town. AH!

I must add that I love Kurt Warner for what he did here. I will always love him for that but even he should admit that the Rams are better off with Bulger under center now.

Last edited by mtaystl03 : 01-08-2005 at 09:51 PM.
mtaystl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:54 PM   #63
Easy Mac

eh, I don't think he's a good QB, but oh well... I didn't think Troy Aikman was either and he only won 3 or 4 super bowls... I still miss my Steve Young, the ultimate non-system QB
Old 01-08-2005, 10:17 PM   #64
Swaggs
Coordinator

My bad... I thought he had won a game in last season's postseason, too.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 10:44 PM   #65
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am sorry for getting so defensive but it really chaps my ass when I see posts like the original one saying that the Rams made the wrong decision on their future starting QB because Warner had an amazing year and won a Super Bowl and Bulger has been playing for 2 years and hasn't won one. Under that reasoning, every starting QB that doesn't win a SB in their first year should be run out of town. AH!

I must add that I love Kurt Warner for what he did here. I will always love him for that but even he should admit that the Rams are better off with Bulger under center now.

Warner got the shaft, but that's another discussion altogether. Now that Bulger is our QB, I'm with him all the way.

We won today and for that I'm a happy camper.

Todd
Old 01-08-2005, 10:45 PM   #66
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Since we seem to be making the argument based on how we "feel" about a guy and not just his stats I'll throw in my two cents. First I do agree that stats alone do not make the great or very good player, however in order to put up about 4,000 yards in 14 games I do believe a man does indeed have some exceptional skills which IMHO does make him a legit starting qb in the NFL. IMO he is in the top 15 now and if he improves from this year to next as much as he did last year to this he'll be knocking on the door of the top ten. Now keep in mind top ten doesn't mean "great". In my almost 40 years of watching football I believe there are only 2-4 great qb's around at a time. 60's Star, Unitas, Namath?... 70's Bradshaw, Staubach, Tarkenton?... 80's..Montana and Marino... 90's Elway,Young, Aikman, Favre..00's Manning, Brady. These are names that will still come to mind 20 years from now.

I don't think anyone is saying Bulger belongs in that group but will he be remembered as a very good qb of his day like Roman Gabriel, Sonny Jurgensen, Billy Kilmer, Jim Plunkett, Brien Sipe, Warren Moon, Boomer Esiason? IMHO he has a pretty good shot.

With regard to systems, I would say there is nothing wrong with being a system qb. It's only smart to put a man in a situation where he can succeed, that's good coaching. I would also submit that one of the greatest qb's of all time was "only a" system qb and that's Joe Montana.

Take away Rice, Roger Craig, all the great recievers he had, and the west coast offense and he would struggle too. Put Joe on the Raiders of the late 60's (do you remember them? we don't throw deep because we have Daryl Lamonica, we got Daryl Lamonica because we throw deep) and he wouldn't be the all time great that he was.

Some qb's could play in any system and be great. Some can only be great if they play in a system tailored to their particulat skills and strengths. Either way it comes down to the numbers they produce and the wins they put up escpecially in the playoffs. Bulger won one today and over the next couple of
weeks and the next few years we will find out for sure if he is just a good qb or on the verge of being a very good qb.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 11:55 PM   #67
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:

I never once said they made the wrong choice. What I said was that it's unprofessional for a coach to say something like that. Kurt Warner gave the Rams 3 good years with 1 being a SB win. Now granted, Bulger hasn't been in the league as long as Warner, but for a coach to say that he's better than Warner when he hasn't proven himself is a complete slap in the face. Now do you understand what I'm saying? Please don't read in between the lines... read EXACTLY what I write.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:19 AM   #68
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick
I can't believe Mike Martz said that about Bulger!? That's the most unprofessional thing a coach can do.... a total slap on the face. Warner has 1 SB under his belt, Bulger has none.

Ugh, get 'em Seahawks!!
Huh?

What's the context? On the face of it, it's a perfectly reasonable comment to make, considering Warner took a nosedive with the Giants while Bulger has been solid for the Rams. I'd have to presume that the remark wasn't made without some kind of question or comment from the media, which is rather different from if Martz volunteered it (in which case, while accurate, I'd agree it's in poor taste).

Sure, Warner won them a super bowl. The last time he had them there was 2001. Living on past glories is no way to run a football team.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:29 AM   #69
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
Huh?

What's the context? On the face of it, it's a perfectly reasonable comment to make, considering Warner took a nosedive with the Giants while Bulger has been solid for the Rams. I'd have to presume that the remark wasn't made without some kind of question or comment from the media, which is rather different from if Martz volunteered it (in which case, while accurate, I'd agree it's in poor taste).

Sure, Warner won them a super bowl. The last time he had them there was 2001. Living on past glories is no way to run a football team.

Well said. Adding, what is wrong with backing your current quarterback that might give him a little added confidence? I am sure Kurt Warner wasn't hurt by the statement.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:32 AM   #70
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

A couple of notes :
- Brian Sipe (although I never saw him player) earned an NFL MVP award.
- I remember Mad Martz once saying "Kurt Warner is one of the best Quarterbacks ever to play the game. At some point, people will come to realize that we are watching a legend".

OK...so first he kicks out "the legend" about a year after saying this comment and now he goes on saying "Bulger is a better quarterback than Warner".

funny.
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:38 AM   #71
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

Right. He is a better quarterback than Warner, right now. I am pretty sure you can't challenge that statement. And, he did have a great year and his legend will be that year. When he got hurt he started to shy away and fumble too much. He was rattlesd, that can happen to any "legend" but he is coach that needs to make a decision on who is better right now for his team and he made the right decision.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:44 AM   #72
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkiller
A couple of notes :
- Brian Sipe (although I never saw him player) earned an NFL MVP award.
- I remember Mad Martz once saying "Kurt Warner is one of the best Quarterbacks ever to play the game. At some point, people will come to realize that we are watching a legend".

OK...so first he kicks out "the legend" about a year after saying this comment and now he goes on saying "Bulger is a better quarterback than Warner".

funny.

Nobody said Martz was sane.

Todd
Old 01-09-2005, 11:50 AM   #73
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

The correct answers:

- Kurt Warner in his prime was better than Marc Bulger is now.

- Kurt Warner right now is nowhere near what Marc Bulger is now.

- Kurt Warner aside, Marc Bulger is a far, far better QB than most people seem to give him credit for.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:42 PM   #74
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
#1 I never said I could TYPE, since my ability to spell is actually quite good.

#2 Who gives a flying fuck if I can type anyway? if you understand what I mean, then my typing is irrelevent.

#3 Stat lines are deceptive. Do you consider Jon Kitna a starting CaliBUR quartreback? =) yes he has been a starter, yes he's tough, yes he put up amazing stats last season, but he's still not at the same level of what *I* expect from a starting QB.

Render, there are 32 teams in this league. To use your example, Kitna could start on some of them, easy.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:08 PM   #75
Antmeister
Pro Starter

I think people are missing the point. Imagine if the coach for San Francisco said Steve Young was better than Joe Montana as he was still an active player in the league playing for Kansas City. It has to do with having respect for the player that helped put your franchise on the map. Why disrespect someone who won the one and only Super Bowl for the franchise? It is more a matter of disrespect by Martz than anything else. It has nothing to do with whether who is better at the current time. I am very surpised that people are defending the actions of Martz who seems to kick Warner under the bus anytime he gets a chance to. And I am not a Rams fan. I am a saddened Chargers fan who just took a licking.

Last edited by Antmeister : 01-09-2005 at 02:14 PM.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 05:31 PM   #76
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Render, there are 32 teams in this league. To use your example, Kitna could start on some of them, easy.

Glad you caught up shorty =) I think I actually said this later on in the thread.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote