Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2005, 04:11 PM   #1
Lorena
Unregistered

Marc Bulger better than Kurt Warner?? WTF?

I can't believe Mike Martz said that about Bulger!? That's the most unprofessional thing a coach can do.... a total slap on the face. Warner has 1 SB under his belt, Bulger has none.

Ugh, get 'em Seahawks!!

Last edited by Lorena : 01-08-2005 at 04:12 PM.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 04:16 PM   #2
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick
I can't believe Mike Martz said that about Bulger!? That's the most unprofessional thing a coach can do.... a total slap on the face. Warner has 1 SB under his belt, Bulger has none.

Ugh, get 'em Seahawks!!

Well, it would look kinda dumb for the guy to say Warner is better considering he cut the guy in June. That would be admitting to a mistake, and we all know Martz does not make mistakes (in his own mind anyway).
jetpunk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 04:40 PM   #3
temley06
H.S. Freshman Team

That's ridiculous
temley06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 05:16 PM   #4
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick

Ugh, get 'em Seahawks!!

yeah, that's a great measure. ergo, trent dilfer is better than dan marino.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:03 PM   #5
robbgmaier
College Prospect

well, Bulger doesn't exactly suck (I feel compelled to defend a fellow WVU alum)
robbgmaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:06 PM   #6
RendeR
Coordinator

Marc bulger would be an excellent backup QB, I have yet to see a single play that shows me he really is a starting calibur qb. That said, i also believe that hasselback is in the same boat. he does not impress me in the slightest.

And honestly, who really listens to Martz anyway? the man is so self riteious is scares me...
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:13 PM   #7
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Come on, you have yet to see a single play that shows Bulger is starting caliber?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:14 PM   #8
RendeR
Coordinator

Not one. I admit, I expect a lot more of Quarterbacks than most people.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:14 PM   #9
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Well, I can't even respect your opinion on anything football if you stand behind a statement as absurd as that.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:16 PM   #10
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

The guy had a QB rating of 93.7- lets give him a break, shall we ?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:29 PM   #11
RendeR
Coordinator

Whats so absurd? both these teams field quality backups as their starting QB's, its an opinion and its quite honestly not that absurd. A number of NFL teams do this, Baltimore, Miami, New Orleans, Carolina, those are just off the top of my head.

Realize that as I grew up with the NFL I got to enjoy the likes of Ken Anderson, Dan Fouts, brian Sipe, Richard Todd, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Brett Favre, and many others. THESE are the guys I consider starting QB material. PLayers that not only make the plays they have to but create the plays they need to to make magic happen.

I watch both hasselback and Bulger and its all I can do not to fall asleep. These guys aren't starting material, they've also rans.

If you can't respect my opinion that's your problem, not mine. I've racked up 30 years of watching the NFL and built my opinions based on those years. if you can't respect that I don't know what you ever will respect.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:35 PM   #12
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
Realize that as I grew up with the NFL I got to enjoy the likes of Ken Anderson, Dan Fouts, brian Sipe, Richard Todd, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Brett Favre, and many others. THESE are the guys I consider starting QB material.

Old 01-08-2005, 06:36 PM   #13
RendeR
Coordinator

Brian Sipe was a one man miracle in cleveland for a few years. yes he didn't light up the league for a decade, but for his time, he was amazing to watch.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:38 PM   #14
Easy Mac

have you seen Carolina play? Dellhome has to be one of the more "magical" QB's in the NFL. He's made more big plays than any QB over the last 2 years.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:43 PM   #15
RendeR
Coordinator

To be truthful, probably not enough to stick him in this group immediately. He popped into my head while I typed that because of the Saints game last week. I really didn't see anything special out of him. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt at this point =)

EDIT: and to help people get a grasp of my opinion I did try to clarify in an earlier post that I honestly expect a LOT more from regular starters than what these guys can or will ever offer their teams.

Last edited by RendeR : 01-08-2005 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:06 PM   #16
Travis
Pro Rookie

Render, I'm kind of surprised. Hasselbeck seems to be the kind of QB you'd like, he's very good at being slippery in the pocket, escaping situations where most QB's would go down to sacks, and makes plays out of nothing (if his receivers don't drop the ball).

Today was mild compared to most of the season, but if his receivers don't drop so many balls, he'd be back in the Pro Bowl this year (ie: First pass to D.J., should be 1-1 for about 10 yards, instead, he's 0-1 with an Int).

I've never been a big fan of Bulger, but if the boy has time, he seems to be able to make pretty much all the throws, the one today that he dropped in over 2 layers of Seahawks and in front of a 3rd to his receiver was a pretty throw.

That said, I'd still take Hass over Bulger personally because of his ability to improvise, and his toughness.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:08 PM   #17
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

Quote:
Marc bulger would be an excellent backup QB, I have yet to see a single play that shows me he really is a starting calibur qb. That said, i also believe that hasselback is in the same boat. he does not impress me in the slightest.

And honestly, who really listens to Martz anyway? the man is so self riteious is scares me...

You would be an excellent backup speller. Wow. Look at these guys stat lines and tell me they aren't starting "calibur" quarterbacks.

Last edited by mtaystl03 : 01-08-2005 at 07:09 PM.
mtaystl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:16 PM   #18
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaystl03
You would be an excellent backup speller. Wow. Look at these guys stat lines and tell me they aren't starting "calibur" quarterbacks.

#1 I never said I could TYPE, since my ability to spell is actually quite good.

#2 Who gives a flying fuck if I can type anyway? if you understand what I mean, then my typing is irrelevent.

#3 Stat lines are deceptive. Do you consider Jon Kitna a starting CaliBUR quartreback? =) yes he has been a starter, yes he's tough, yes he put up amazing stats last season, but he's still not at the same level of what *I* expect from a starting QB.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:18 PM   #19
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Definition of 'Starting Caliber' QB = One of the top 32 QB's in the NFL

So, are there 32 QB's better than Bulger in the league? Cause if not then....
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:18 PM   #20
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

Sure you don't have to spell well but to say something as bold as neither Marc Bulger nor Matt Hasselbeck deserve to be starting quarterbacks in this league, back it up with something.

Last edited by mtaystl03 : 01-08-2005 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:23 PM   #21
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Sure you don't have to spell well but to say something as bold as neither Marc Bulger nor Matt Hasselbeck deserve to be starting quarterbacks in this league, back it up with something.

Then keep your comments to the point instead of being a smart ass and insulting me to get attention.

And I am backing it up:

1: its my opinion and I qualified that opinion by stating that my standards are MUCH higher than most peoples

2: I listed out players with whom i compare starting quarterbacks abilities and in said comparison these players do not measure up.

3: I'm relying on 30 years of information comparing players and their abilities, what they show on the field, not simple stat lines which as I said before can be deceiving.

4: this is a SUBJECTIVE idea, there is no objective, substantive data which you can truly use to compare players like this. You have to take what you see and make your opinion based on that.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:25 PM   #22
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

dola, also i NEVER stated they didn't deserve the job they have, I simply said they weren't what I consider starting material, when you consider that there are 32 teams in the NFL I doubt that even half of them have what *I* consider starting caliBUR quarterbacks. There generally aren't enough to go around, so many teams must play what *I* consider a quality backup as their starter.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:26 PM   #23
Easy Mac

I'd rather have 26 other QB's starting for me... so I guess they technically qualify.

And I had no idea Seneca Wallace was a backup QB.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerindex/POS_QB some of those names shocked me that they were on teams... it shows that there should probably be about 5 less NFL teams.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:27 PM   #24
Joe
Pro Starter

what do you consider starting quality? Pro-Bowl calibur players?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:30 PM   #25
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

RendeR - You are right, it is subjective but you mentioned that they would make good "backups" but the players you mentioned are hall-of-famers. Not every good, starting QB needs to be that high quality. Right? Since you hold everybody to higher standards doesn't mean these two players, who played GREAT in this game, aren't starting caliber.

You are entitled to your opinion and I shouldn't of attacked your spelling. My bad.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:32 PM   #26
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
RendeR - You are right, it is subjective but you mentioned that they would make good "backups" but the players you mentioned are hall-of-famers. Not every good, starting QB needs to be that high quality. Right? Since you hold everybody to higher standards doesn't mean these two players, who played GREAT in this game, aren't starting caliber.

You are entitled to your opinion and I shouldn't of attacked your spelling. My bad.

I appreciate the apology, thank you.

Also, did you WATCH the Seattle vs St Louis game? What did you see that looked GOOD let alone great about the QB play?
Old 01-08-2005, 07:33 PM   #27
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
what do you consider starting quality? Pro-Bowl calibur players?

read the thread, I listed a number of them.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:35 PM   #28
Easy Mac

Quote:
I appreciate the apology, thank you.

Also, did you WATCH the Seattle vs St Louis game? What did you see that looked GOOD let alone great about the QB play?

well technically, Bulger's QB rating was 97 and Hasselbeck's was 93... so they played better than average.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:36 PM   #29
RendeR
Coordinator

Yes after looking over the game stats, their stat lines weren't bad at all. I sat ehre watching the game and just felt disgusted with how both teams played, which isn't necessarily the Quarterback's fault.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:41 PM   #30
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I WATCHED the whole Rams - Seahawks game and I saw alot to like about Bulger. He played his ass off. Personally, who gives a shit if he's better or worse than Kurt Warner? It's irrelevant, Kurt's gone and Bulger is our QB.

Some of Bulger's passes today were spectacular. Hasselbeck wasn't bad, his receivers need to hold onto the ball.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:42 PM   #31
Travis
Pro Rookie

Hmmmm, funny, having watched the game (as a Seattle fan), I was fairly impressed by most of the throws Bulger made, and Hasselbeck (especially in the second half) was pretty much bang on (aside from that brutal throw on a 3rd down audible in the early fourth quarter to Jackson where he had to wait an extra second before throwing to his right for his 3rd incompletion of the second half). I really thought Hasselbeck was showing his ability to improvise and make something out of nothing in a lot of situations while finding DJ and Mili in seemingly any kind of coverage.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:55 PM   #32
timmynausea
College Starter

I'd say Bulger is awesome. Hasselbeck is also decent. Who are the 26 quarterbacks better than Bulger?
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 08:08 PM   #33
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

I did watch the whole game and I thought they played very well. Not Dan Marino or Peyton Manning-like but very efficient.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:32 PM   #34
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
I'd rather have 26 other QB's starting for me... so I guess they technically qualify.

That's the funniest statement I've ever heard of, thanks for the laugh. I bet the coaches of 20 other teams think that as well, make that 21 now.

Todd
Old 01-08-2005, 08:42 PM   #35
Easy Mac

I don't see why. making the playoffs doesn't mean you have a good QB... Hell, Trent Dilfer won a super bowl throwing 12 td's and 11 INT's in 9 games.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:08 PM   #36
Swaggs
Coordinator

Bulger was in my freshman class at WVU, so I have seen a lot of him. While he was there, he set nearly all of the QB records while playing with Amos Zereoue in a pretty balanced pro set.

I have not been his biggest fan (b/c we never seemed to put it all together with a pretty talented group), but he is very solid and from what I have seen of him in the NFL, he still pretty much has the same game. Extremely accurate from the pocket, average arm strength, very well prepared, knowledgeable about the plays, but makes very bad throws when pressured and gets injured pretty often.

I would say that with 32 teams in the league, he is in the top half of the NFL's starters. He has put up solid stats with a less-than-healthy Faulk for the past few seasons, won some playoff games (look at the big names that have won fewer playoff games than he has), and worked with a difficult, and at times, dysfunctional coach.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:17 PM   #37
Easy Mac

ummm... this was Bulger's first playoff win if I'm not mistaken.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:18 PM   #38
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't see why. making the playoffs doesn't mean you have a good QB... Hell, Trent Dilfer won a super bowl throwing 12 td's and 11 INT's in 9 games.

I guess 3964 yards passing and 21 td's in 14 games is a terrible QB.??

Ok.....

Todd
Old 01-08-2005, 09:18 PM   #39
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

Yeah, considering this is the first year he was a full-time starter. I guess he is 1-1 in playoff games.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:20 PM   #40
Easy Mac

so... last year he wasn't a full time starter?
Old 01-08-2005, 09:21 PM   #41
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
ummm... this was Bulger's first playoff win if I'm not mistaken.

You are correct, he took us to 12-4 last year, which led to a bye and then a double OT loss to Carolina. I would explain why that was Martz fault, but I won't make excuses.

Todd
Old 01-08-2005, 09:22 PM   #42
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
so... last year he wasn't a full time starter?

Yes, he started 15 games after the Warner first game debactle.

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 01-08-2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:24 PM   #43
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

Warner started the first game and threatened at different times throughout the year. We had a bye and lost to Carolina so he is 1-1 in playoff games. What a keeper stat.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:24 PM   #44
Easy Mac

I said there are QB's I'd rather have, either by stats or because they play in big games, or I just have a better feel about them. I also think Bulger is a system QB who would struggle under a different coach. Put him on Carolina and I think he struggles mightily with only Moose catching. Put Delhomme on St. Louis and everyone declares him the second coming of Favre with Bruce and Holt catching him. Its my opinion that there are QB's I'd rather have, just like its your opinion that you'd rather have him over other QB's.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:25 PM   #45
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

Todd, they are just haters man. It is hard to try to convince people of something with nothing to go on.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:26 PM   #46
Easy Mac

well he didn't start 2 games this season, so he's still not a full time starter.

Twist it however you want, I was just pointing out the fallacy that:
A) He'd one numerous playoff games;
B) He wasn't a full-time starter last year.

If you start 15 games a year, you're a full-time starter.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:27 PM   #47
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

I would rather have a few QB's too but Bulger is doing just fine for us so I am not going to complain. I do have a problem with people saying that the Rams made the wrong decision on their starting quarterback and saying that Bulger is not as good as Kurt Warner. Again, Bulger IS better than Warner, he may not be as good as Warner WAS in '99.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion but it just amazes me how every single person that hates the Rams tries to discredit what they do.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:29 PM   #48
Easy Mac

Quote:
Todd, they are just haters man. It is hard to try to convince people of something with nothing to go on.

Good way to interject into a conversation. A person who refutes claims and tries to explain their own position is just a "hater". Forgive me for not worshipping a player on your favorite team.

And it was a good game by Hass and Bulger, not a great. They did what they had to do with a totally inept running attack behind both of them.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:29 PM   #49
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You know how many times I've heard the, "If QB X played anywhere else he would suck." comment?

I guess Chandler did so well when he started in place of Bulger this year.

Todd
Old 01-08-2005, 09:30 PM   #50
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

Quote:
well he didn't start 2 games this season, so he's still not a full time starter.

Wow. This conversation is over. If a guy gets hurt he doesn't get replaced. Bulger wasn't the starter in week one last year. Then Warner played bad and got hurt. How could you say he was a full-time starter. But I guess you are proving our point for us by stating he led us to 12 wins.

Last edited by mtaystl03 : 01-08-2005 at 09:31 PM.