Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-01-2003, 07:45 AM   #51
Bee
Pro Starter

Anyone else seeing an unusually high number of injuries? Almost every game I've played, I've had someone get injured. I'm still playing my friendlies and I have 7 guys injured. Is there something I'm missing as far as training or just horrible luck?

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 07:55 AM   #52
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

the important thing is :
Quote:
I'm still playing my friendlies.

that's why you get so many injuries, after the season as started and the players are at full fit, you'll see you get less injuries.
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 08:11 AM   #53
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
Anyone else seeing an unusually high number of injuries? Almost every game I've played, I've had someone get injured. I'm still playing my friendlies and I have 7 guys injured. Is there something I'm missing as far as training or just horrible luck?

There are a few too many injuries in the beta, this has been reduced since ....
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 09:16 AM   #54
ausonny
High School Varsity

Marc - (or onyone else who knows)

In CM3 sending a scout to look for youth players brought back unsigned players, now it brings back only players who are signed to another team. Is this intentional, maybe some effect of every team having an under 19 team?
ausonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 09:38 AM   #55
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by ausonny

In CM3 sending a scout to look for youth players brought back unsigned players, now it brings back only players who are signed to another team. Is this intentional, maybe some effect of every team having an under 19 team?

I've noticed the same thing.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 10:16 AM   #56
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by Tekneek
I really like the 2D view, however I have found that I am turning it off during matches and going with the commentary. I do like watching the "highlights" of matches with it, though. This may eventually change, but after going with the commentary for all these years I can't deal with watching little guys running around and the commentary below them. I was finding that I had to choose between one or the other, and given the choice I am going with the commentary.

I'm with you. The 2d is great, but I'm having a hard time following both it and the commentary. Maybe that skill will come in time.

And just to remind everybody, this is the beta-demo. The final demo that will precede release has not been released yet. Thankfully this isn't the final, because it is buggy as all get out.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 10:26 AM   #57
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by ausonny

I've seen this as well. It's a problem for lower league teams who have no money to sign players away from teams. I also signed another scout (only had one), and was unable to assign him to scout anything as his name would not appear in the pull down menu. He is signed as a scout, and appears as a scout in the staff listing. Is this a known problem?

Another problem is that there is no longer an interested tag on the filter. Not so much a problem with players, but it's annoying when searching for coaches and staff. You can't sort by filtered attributes and staff with no jobs, so you have to manually go through each staff without a job to determine their attributes. Am I missing something, or is there a chance this can be changed?

One more slight annoyance. On the tactics screen (don't know if it is the same anywhere else) when you examine a player and go back, it resets any of your changes. So if you are making subs, and you make one, and then don't know about another player and click on his "player card", going back resets your sub. Not a big problem, but it's annoying in the early friendlies when you might not know any of your players, and want to check their attributes to determine where they would be a best fit.

Overall, I'm impressed with the beta demo. The interface is slick, and although it will take some getting use to navigating around (compared to CM3 interface) I think it looks and feels better than the old interface. The 2d engine is fantastic, and I can't wait to watch the full games. I already find myself pulling at my hair when my players blaze easy chances over the bar. I think the problems between reading the commentary and watching the players will just take time to get used to. In Cm3, it took awhile to get used to the commentary flashing by on very fast speed, but after awhile, I was easily able to catch all the commentary, and I'm sure this will be the same. Bucc should be happy with the Assistant being able to pick your players for you. We'll turn him into a soccer fan yet

Mouse-wheel support is awesome! The new contract additions, player personalities, even manager contracts, it's all too much for me. I'm definitely failing this semester.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 10:51 AM   #58
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by klayman
Mouse-wheel support is awesome! .

True, but when you don't have a mouse-wheel it's horrible
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 11:57 AM   #59
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally posted by klayman
've seen this as well. It's a problem for lower league teams who have no money to sign players away from teams. I also signed another scout (only had one), and was unable to assign him to scout anything as his name would not appear in the pull down menu. He is signed as a scout, and appears as a scout in the staff listing. Is this a known problem?
Fixed since the beta was created (please bear in mind that the beta exe is over a month old because it had to be the same as the one distributed via. the magazine).

Quote:
Another problem is that there is no longer an interested tag on the filter. Not so much a problem with players, but it's annoying when searching for coaches and staff. You can't sort by filtered attributes and staff with no jobs, so you have to manually go through each staff without a job to determine their attributes. Am I missing something, or is there a chance this can be changed?
There is an 'assistant manager recommendations' which is approximately the same (if your assistant maanger is good ).

Quote:
One more slight annoyance. On the tactics screen (don't know if it is the same anywhere else) when you examine a player and go back, it resets any of your changes. So if you are making subs, and you make one, and then don't know about another player and click on his "player card", going back resets your sub. Not a big problem, but it's annoying in the early friendlies when you might not know any of your players, and want to check their attributes to determine where they would be a best fit.
Again now fixed.

Quote:
Overall, I'm impressed with the beta demo. The interface is slick, and although it will take some getting use to navigating around (compared to CM3 interface) I think it looks and feels better than the old interface.
The interface is also totally skinnable so people can change and mutate the game as they wish

Quote:
Mouse-wheel support is awesome! The new contract additions, player personalities, even manager contracts, it's all too much for me. I'm definitely failing this semester. [/b]

LOL

Glad you're enjoying the beta - the final game is sooooo much better (there has been a heck of a lot of extra refinements and improvements since then).

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 03-01-2003 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-01-2003, 12:19 PM   #60
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Vaughan

Glad you're enjoying the beta - the final game is sooooo much better (there has been a heck of a lot of extra refinements and improvements since then).

Arrrrrghhh.. dunno whether to be happy, that the game is going to be so good (I LIKE the demo already...) or pissed that you're being such a tease Marc
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 12:20 PM   #61
Easy Mac

It always crashes when processing after the first day. not sure if i have an option set that i shouldn't but, i wish i could play the game.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 12:26 PM   #62
ausonny
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Vaughan
[b]Fixed since the beta was created (please bear in mind that the beta exe is over a month old because it had to be the same as the one distributed via. the magazine).

Did this apply to the scout not showing up in the pull down, or the fact that scouts don't bring back unsigned players when looking for youth players?
ausonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 12:44 PM   #63
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Yes (same problem in the beta with regards to signing new coaches etc. if I remember right)
Old 03-01-2003, 02:06 PM   #64
RoastDuck
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by Tekneek
I really like the 2D view, however I have found that I am turning it off during matches and going with the commentary. I do like watching the "highlights" of matches with it, though. This may eventually change, but after going with the commentary for all these years I can't deal with watching little guys running around and the commentary below them. I was finding that I had to choose between one or the other, and given the choice I am going with the commentary.

I think it is probably impossible to follow the text + graphic at the same time - it's either one or the other.

For me, watching Tore Andre Flo head the ball straight into the 'keeper's arms from 6 yards is far more emotionally engaging than reading 'he really should have scored'.

Some very fine detail has gone into the graphic if you look closely enough. For instance; Trailing 0-2 in the final minutes of a game, Kevin Phillips snatched a goal back and do you know what he did? He actually picked the ball up out of the back of the net and ran back to the center circle with the ball in order to get the game started again! This is fantastic!
RoastDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 06:21 PM   #65
BigDPW
College Prospect

Marc,

I have a mouse with "Back" button and "Forward" button capabilities... Any chance you could add support for those to the game at some point???

I like the new interface but it seems I have to use the back button more often than in CM3... Not sure quite why but something is missing to allow me to move as quickly as I used to??? After some getting used to I think the interface will be great... And if back button was supported then I would be in heaven!!!

Great work on CM4... I love the 2d interface... It will be interesting to see if I use it in game or just for highlights... We will see!!!

I plan to order the game as a Birthday present with my folks paying for it... Should I preorder soon to be sure I get it??? Sounds like it could be out in the next 3-4 weeks...
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 06:22 PM   #66
Easy Mac

There used to be a long button at the bottom that said back. Yeah, I miss that too.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 06:49 PM   #67
JHandley
High School Varsity

When you make a transfer offer, what does first option mean?
JHandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 06:51 PM   #68
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Means you're not actually buying the player at this time, but should there come a time where the player is to be sold, you would get first crack at the player.

You see it mostly in high level international transfers, I think there was some talk a while ago that one of the Italian teams wanted first option rights on Michael Owen, and was willing to pay a couple million for the privilige
Old 03-01-2003, 06:53 PM   #69
JHandley
High School Varsity

Thank you very much. I kind of had a feeling that was what it meant. Thanks for clearing that up.
JHandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 10:57 PM   #70
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Wow. Nice details (with the buy option business).

Quote:
Originally posted by RoastDuck
When searching for potential new players, filtering the player search attributes function used to be a simple click affair. Now, I have to (shock-horror) USE THE KEYBOARD! Why this backward-step?

I like keyboard. Keyboard option is good. ALL mouse is bad. (Click on Player name, click on 'Scout player', click on 'Yes', click on 'Back'. Repeat for all 37 players on the new team you're looking at.) Carpal tunnel hurts.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 11:09 PM   #71
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Glad you're enjoying the beta - the final game is sooooo much better (there has been a heck of a lot of extra refinements and improvements since then). [/b]

Marc, you are like a drug pusher giving out free crack to kids. You get us hooked and then later make us spend money to purchase a product that causes students to flunk out of school, jobs to be lost and marriages to crumble.

FOFC wake up! This is how you lower productivity and bring the Western world to its knees. The guys at SI are the real terrorists I tell you. They must be stopped.
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote