Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Eightees Pop Metal Groups: Which one do you enjoy the most now?
Bon Jovi 12 13.04%
Cinderella 0 0%
Def Leppard 8 8.70%
Guns 'n' Roses 16 17.39%
Motley Crue 1 1.09%
Poison 5 5.43%
Tesla 4 4.35%
Van Halen 13 14.13%
Warrant 0 0%
I'd rather poke my eardrums out 33 35.87%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2003, 01:30 PM   #51
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's a pop metal poll. Those groups weren't pop metal.

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 01:34 PM   #52
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Whew, that was a tough one because they are all great bands that bring back memories.

I had to go with Tesla because you don't often hear about them so when they come on the radio ( something other than signs) it is a real treat.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:02 PM   #53
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Armageddon it? Oh yeah i'm a gettin it.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 06:12 PM   #54
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
As far as how they age, any band that was playing before 1993 are certainly better than any that started since then.

I have to disagree with you here - I think there are always good bands making good music in any era. The difference is in how easy is it to find this music and what types of music are being promoted the most at the time.

I know as I get older I've spent less time hunting down music - my music buying has slowed considerably in my 30's, but I still make an effort to try and expose myself (no, not in that way) to new music to broaden my horizons.

May I be so bold as to give you some musical suggestions? Based on what I recall of your musical preferences, here are a few albums I think you might enjoy (if you haven't listened to them already):

Coldplay: Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head - links to AMG reviews here and here
Coldplay have much of the same earnestness and honesty of early U2, with a gift for catchy songs and well-produced arrangements. This is a band worth watching.
Travis: The Invisible Band - link to AMG review here
Another band that recalls elements of U2. Great songwriting, combining simple, beautiful melodies with subtly complex and interesting arrangements.
David Gray: White Ladder - link to AMG review here
Very passionate singer, on this album his musical arrangements really come together.

If you're feeling a little more adventurous with a taste for more experimental and progressive music, try the following:
Radiohead: OK Computer - link to AMG review here
Radiohead is the most fascinating band working today IMO. You'll find many of the same experimental traits of classic Floyd here, updated for the '90's. This is the transition album for them between the more overtly U2 influenced The Bends and the more experimental records Kid A and Amnesiac.
The Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - link to AMG review here
The Lips tread similar musical territory to Radiohead, but with a much more whimsical lyrical bent. There are a number of laugh-out-load moments from the lyrics here, along with fascinating music.

If you're looking for something harder-edged but still with a progressive bent, may I suggest:
Tool: Lateralus - link to AMG review here
If you had any interest in King Crimson, this is the modern, heavier version of that classic group. Tool expertly combines crunching power with progressive atmosphere - along with Radiohead one of the most important bands of the moment.

Just my $0.02, hope you enjoy...

Last edited by dawgfan : 02-02-2003 at 06:12 PM.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 06:55 PM   #55
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

dawgfan: Thank you for taking the time to suggest. I will look into these.

I choose 1993 because that was when the local alternative music radio station died (in favor of urban music, ugh). I still recall the sounds of Toad the Wet Sprocket, Da-Da and others I can't think of (not Spin Doctor, I hated Spin Doctor).
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 07:05 PM   #56
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by dawgfan
I have to disagree with you here - I think there are always good bands making good music in any era. The difference is in how easy is it to find this music and what types of music are being promoted the most at the time.

I know as I get older I've spent less time hunting down music - my music buying has slowed considerably in my 30's, but I still make an effort to try and expose myself (no, not in that way) to new music to broaden my horizons.

May I be so bold as to give you some musical suggestions? Based on what I recall of your musical preferences, here are a few albums I think you might enjoy (if you haven't listened to them already):

Coldplay: Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head - links to AMG reviews here and here
Coldplay have much of the same earnestness and honesty of early U2, with a gift for catchy songs and well-produced arrangements. This is a band worth watching.
Travis: The Invisible Band - link to AMG review here
Another band that recalls elements of U2. Great songwriting, combining simple, beautiful melodies with subtly complex and interesting arrangements.
David Gray: White Ladder - link to AMG review here
Very passionate singer, on this album his musical arrangements really come together.

If you're feeling a little more adventurous with a taste for more experimental and progressive music, try the following:
Radiohead: OK Computer - link to AMG review here
Radiohead is the most fascinating band working today IMO. You'll find many of the same experimental traits of classic Floyd here, updated for the '90's. This is the transition album for them between the more overtly U2 influenced The Bends and the more experimental records Kid A and Amnesiac.
The Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - link to AMG review here
The Lips tread similar musical territory to Radiohead, but with a much more whimsical lyrical bent. There are a number of laugh-out-load moments from the lyrics here, along with fascinating music.

If you're looking for something harder-edged but still with a progressive bent, may I suggest:
Tool: Lateralus - link to AMG review here
If you had any interest in King Crimson, this is the modern, heavier version of that classic group. Tool expertly combines crunching power with progressive atmosphere - along with Radiohead one of the most important bands of the moment.

Just my $0.02, hope you enjoy...

Travis is okay, but their music drags a little too much...I would recommend in the same style as Coldplay...Doves, Elbow and Starsailor...also try out Interpol.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 07:09 PM   #57
Go-Buckeyes
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
It's a pop metal poll. Those groups weren't pop metal.

I know, I know....

Just trying to toss in a bit of humor...besides, I was more of a new-waver than a metal type...but I did listen to all that stuff at one point and time. I voted for poking eardrums, but I do like some, well, most actually, of Van Halens stuff...