Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Eightees Pop Metal Groups: Which one do you enjoy the most now?
Bon Jovi 12 13.04%
Cinderella 0 0%
Def Leppard 8 8.70%
Guns 'n' Roses 16 17.39%
Motley Crue 1 1.09%
Poison 5 5.43%
Tesla 4 4.35%
Van Halen 13 14.13%
Warrant 0 0%
I'd rather poke my eardrums out 33 35.87%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2003, 03:10 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Smile It Came From the Eighties...

Which one do you still enjoy the most today?

Last edited by Kodos : 01-31-2003 at 03:16 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:13 PM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

Kodos likes polls! I promise this is the last one of the day!
Old 01-31-2003, 03:13 PM   #3
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Back then it was Motley Crue. However, now it's GNR by a long shot.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:17 PM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

Damn it! I spelled "eighties" wrong...
Old 01-31-2003, 03:27 PM   #5
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Def Leppard's early 80's music is tops for me (of those on this list, that is). I still listen to "Pyromania" every once in a while.

Van Halen would be a close second. Oh how I long for the days when Eddie was constantly drunk!
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:28 PM   #6
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
Damn it! I spelled "eighties" wrong...

and since we can't edit the actual thread title, you'll be considered a moron forever. It's a particularly lousy day to do it on, since we've got grammar police out in full force.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:29 PM   #7
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sub-poll. Sammy or Dave?

My answer: Sammy.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:30 PM   #8
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Woohoo! us eardrum poker outers are leading the way.

In the day, the music was good, but since you added the word NOW...... *sigh*

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:31 PM   #9
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
in the day the music listed in the poll was crap (with the exception of the pre sammy van halen)
Old 01-31-2003, 03:31 PM   #10
Kodos
Resident Alien

I knew the eardrums option was the clear favorite to win. Lotsa haters out there!

I unabashedly love some of these groups to this day, including their newer albums.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:32 PM   #11
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Fritz, could you please provide a cite for the fact that all that music was crap? thanks.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 01-31-2003, 03:35 PM   #12
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Sub-poll. Sammy or Dave?

My answer: Sammy.

I really hope you're joking with that answer.

Jump vs. How Do I Know When It's Love?

not even close.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:37 PM   #13
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, really Kodos. Its one thing to still like 80's music (2 decades old), it is another thing all-together to think Sammy was better. Poor, poor Kodos.

Old 01-31-2003, 03:38 PM   #14
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

All I can say to this thread is....

Rise up gather 'round. Rock this place to the ground.
Burn it up. Let's go for broke. Watch the night go up in smoke.
Rock on. Rock on.
Drive me crazier. No serenade. No fire brigade.
Just-a pyromania
Come on.
What do you want?
What do you want?
I want rock 'n' roll.
Alright
Long live rock 'n' roll...
Old 01-31-2003, 03:39 PM   #15
Kodos
Resident Alien

Perhaps we should judge them on solo careers. Sammy clearly has been more successful than Dave. And Sammy can actually sing.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:40 PM   #16
Kodos
Resident Alien

You bet'cha!
Long live Rock 'n' Roll!
Old 01-31-2003, 03:43 PM   #17
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Perhaps we should judge them on solo careers. Sammy clearly has been more successful than Dave. And Sammy can actually sing.

I Can't Drive 55 vs. Just a Gigilo/I ain't got nobody?

again, you're cleary going insane!
Old 01-31-2003, 03:43 PM   #18
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

I felt bad for Poison so I voted for them.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:44 PM   #19
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Diamond Dave, baby!

At the time I preferred the Sammy version, but in retrospect I'd have to go with the Diamond Dave era. Partly because they were a better "party" band, but largely because Eddie changed his guitar sound after Sammy joined. For me, Eddie kind of lost his edge at that point.

BTW, have any of you David Lee Roth lately? He looks absolutely [vomit] hideous [/vomit]! Time to give in to the hairline, Dave.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:44 PM   #20
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
I Can't Drive 55 vs. Just a Gigilo/I ain't got nobody?

again, you're cleary going insane!

Listen to the man...he knows what he is talking about.

Old 01-31-2003, 03:44 PM   #21
Kodos
Resident Alien

Do NOT under any circumstances buy Poison's last album, "Hollyweird". It's even worse than a Nirvana album.

Last edited by Kodos : 01-31-2003 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:45 PM   #22
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Do NOT under any circumstances by Poison's last album, "Hollyweird". It's even worse than a Nirvana album.

Uhmmm, OK. I won't.

Old 01-31-2003, 03:45 PM   #23
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
It's even worse than a Nirvana album.

I rest my case. what the hell is he thinking?
Old 01-31-2003, 03:46 PM   #24
Kodos
Resident Alien

Have you ever listed to A Little Ain't Enough or Your Filthy Little Mouth. Or caught his quickly cancelled Las Vegas show? YEEEEEEEEESH!
Old 01-31-2003, 03:47 PM   #25
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

He had Steve Vai playing guitar for him!

Old 01-31-2003, 03:49 PM   #26
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think Kurt Cobain hurt music more than any other person in my lifetime. Just awful! He single-handedly made feeling sorry for yourself fashionable for an entire generation. Ugh.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:50 PM   #27
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Talking

Quote:
I think Kurt Cobain hurt music more than any other person in my lifetime. Just awful! He single-handedly made feeling sorry for yourself fashionable for an entire generation. Ugh.

Oh dear, I must say aliens are gluttons for punishment.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:21 PM   #28
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I always thought that as musicians, Tesla was a cut above the rest of the 80's hair bands. I mean, look at those guys. An 80's hair band that ugly HAD to be good to make it!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 04:24 PM   #29
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Yeah, yeah, yeah...hair bands were just bad (save Van Halen)...I mean record companies were signing guys up just because of their hair, seriously...all had their heyday...I think Nirvana made a lot of people, the not so pretty people, the regular people, identify with music instead of the hedonistic ritual that was rock and roll...but what do I know, Cobain blew his brains out and as I far as I know all of these bands members are alive (save Def and Warrant), go figure...

Eighties music to me was Talking Heads, Cars, Billy Idol, Michael Jackson...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 04:26 PM   #30
sabotai
General Manager

I'm not so sure that I'd include GNR as a pop metal band...

Also, Kodos, since the eardrum pokers are way in the lead, it seems Cobain did a lot of good too. If it weren't for Nirvana, Poison and the rest of those freaks might have gone a few more years.

If I had to go through junior high school without Nirvana and Alice in Chains, I might have made school shootings an early nineties thing / late eighties thing.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 04:28 PM   #31
Kodos
Resident Alien

Poking eardrums is only beating the pop metal groups individually. Overall, pop metal is getting more positive votes than negative. So there!
Old 01-31-2003, 04:28 PM   #32
andy m
High School Varsity

this thread should have been called: "here is a list of really bad bands, just vote for one of them or something"
Old 01-31-2003, 04:29 PM   #33
korme
Go Reds

<-- commences poking eardrums
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 04:45 PM   #34
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel
Fritz, could you please provide a cite for the fact that all that music was crap? thanks.

Sure

Book of Dweezel 12:21

The men dressed like cheap women and made a ruckus with their instruments and wailed. For 10 years they ruckused and wailed. And after ten years of ruckusing and wailing God sent Vanilla Ice to wreak vengeance upon those who would ruckus and wail and dress as cheap women. Vanilla Ice sampled and condemned the ruckusers and wailers to play only in the titty bars and he banished their works to K-Tel, and God was pleased.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:47 PM   #35
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

dola

I wonder if Darkiller thinks Steve Young should be in Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...
Old 01-31-2003, 04:58 PM   #36
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Gotta side with the alien on this one.

With most of the between 22 and 33, it doesn't surprise that there is a dichotomy between 80s music and 90s music. It seems that the bias is whatever the music was during your teen years. That's why for me, it's the music of the 70s (pre-disco).

In all, there's nothing wrong with 80s bands listed, you had to be there and judge them in their own time.

As far as how they age, any band that was playing before 1993 are certainly better than any that started since then.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 05:05 PM   #37
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You sound like my girlfriend.
Well, I definately can't deny, for instance, that Michael Jackson and Madonna were music GODS the likes of which we don't have now.

Quote:

Hey, Kodos- even if everyone else is turning on ya- I'm with you. And I even agree with you on the Nirvana point. Then again, I have every Halen album made (even that piece of crap coaster with Gary Cherone or whatever the hell his name was) because that was when music was fun.

Don't get me wrong- I have some Nirvana in my collection as well as some of the other big groups from the early 90s (Pearl Jam, STP, Soundgarden, Alice in Chain, etc) but the music just isn't as fun as 80's music. Also, I still hate the fact that the 90's were the decade of the giant flushing sound from Metallica's music.

Ultimately, Kurt Cobain's death and subsequent immortalization by many music fans lead to the splintering of rock music, knocking it from the place of dominance and allowed for the 90s to be a decade where rap, a resurgence of country, rap-rock, and now manufactured groups (britney, backstreet, et al) claim a larger following than they otherwise would have. Many consider this a good thing, but I prefer that hard rock style of music, and the pickings have been quite slim lately for fans.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 05:14 PM   #38
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
I knew the eardrums option was the clear favorite to win. Lotsa haters out there!

I unabashedly love some of these groups to this day, including their newer albums.

I'll stick to Christopher Ender Carrabba, thank you.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 05:19 PM   #39
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
You sound like my girlfriend.
Well, I definately can't deny, for instance, that Michael Jackson and Madonna were music GODS the likes of which we don't have now.

Hey, Kodos- even if everyone else is turning on ya- I'm with you. And I even agree with you on the Nirvana point. Then again, I have every Halen album made (even that piece of crap coaster with Gary Cherone or whatever the hell his name was) because that was when music was fun.

Don't get me wrong- I have some Nirvana in my collection as well as some of the other big groups from the early 90s (Pearl Jam, STP, Soundgarden, Alice in Chain, etc) but the music just isn't as fun as 80's music. Also, I still hate the fact that the 90's were the decade of the giant flushing sound from Metallica's music.

Ultimately, Kurt Cobain's death and subsequent immortalization by many music fans lead to the splintering of rock music, knocking it from the place of dominance and allowed for the 90s to be a decade where rap, a resurgence of country, rap-rock, and now manufactured groups (britney, backstreet, et al) claim a larger following than they otherwise would have. Many consider this a good thing, but I prefer that hard rock style of music, and the pickings have been quite slim lately for fans.

SI

With all due respect there was dark music in the 80's as well, Joy Division, The Smiths, the Cure which added a murky undersurface to the joyful rock sounds from the West. Even the Talking Heads, Wire, Blondie, Rolling Stones, the Ramones, the Police, Queen had darker undertones, that's pretty much what I listened too...my friends listened to Warrant, Stryper, Evil Toys, Extreme, and all the like...I'm not saying it was bad, it just wasn't my thing...

Actually I remember vividly when I was like 11 or 12 wandering the music section and a group of goth chicks that were like 14 or 15 were hunting for the latest Cannibal Corpse...the one screamed at me in anger/anguish, the cute one apologized to me underneath her neon hair...

I grew up to MTV, I had Thriller when I was in grade school. For the longest time I had to absorb my father's love of the Rolling Stones and the classic rock albums, my mom was an 70's easy rock sounds like Gerry Rafferty, Stealers Wheel, etc...plus she loved Barry Manilow...and I was stuck listening to Mr. Mister, Cameo, Michael Jackson, Billy Idol, Cyndy Lauper, etc...

Now I have over 700 CD's you'll find anything to AC/DC to Warren Zevon there...
Old 01-31-2003, 06:22 PM   #40
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

I voted for Def Leppard, though I slightly prefer the sweet sounds of RATT (not a choice, for shame).

Van Halen is all right; little use for any of the other bands listed.

I understand what she's telling me
It's so clear even I can see
You wanna play, you've gotta pay!
- RATT, "She Wants Money"
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 06:30 PM   #41
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
dola

I wonder if Darkiller thinks Steve Young should be in Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...

come on, lets be serious. That honor is only reserved for the imaginary Brock Sherriff.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:34 PM   #42
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Qwikshot

toss in the clash, the ramones, the dead kennedys, and the police and i agree with ya
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 06:36 PM   #43
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by McSweeny
toss in the clash, the ramones, the dead kennedys, and the police and i agree with ya

I added all but the DK's and the Clash, I loved Rock the Casbah but I was a little too young to understand the significance...the Dead Kennedy's I only know from their covers that and Jello Biafra, but I've only read about them...not heard their stuff.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:41 PM   #44
McSweeny
College Starter

you should really pick up some of the early clash, and 'london calling' is a must have.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:44 PM   #45
McSweeny
College Starter

oh and the misfits, how could i forget to mention the misfits?
Old 01-31-2003, 07:14 PM   #46
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

The you have to get into the really underground bands like

Black Flag
Minor Threat
Bad Brains
Replacements
Minutemen
Butthole Surfers
Sonic Youth
the Germs
Husker Du
Fugazi

the really subversive stuff that didn't get airtime...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 01-31-2003, 11:26 PM   #47
Tasan
College Starter

What, no skid row??? oh yeah, only two albums....nevermind...um, lemme decide now....
Old 02-01-2003, 07:20 AM   #48
Braggadocioussss
In The Penalty Box

Gn'F'nR

Nuff said.
Braggadocioussss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:10 AM   #49
sabotai
General Manager

Tasan, I'm with you. How could you leave out Skid Row? They were the best hair band, no question about it.

"Don't get me wrong- I have some Nirvana in my collection as well as some of the other big groups from the early 90s (Pearl Jam, STP, Soundgarden, Alice in Chain, etc) but the music just isn't as fun as 80's music. Also, I still hate the fact that the 90's were the decade of the giant flushing sound from Metallica's music."

Ugh, don't remind me. Part of the 80's for me was Metallica. I still get a sick feeling over what they've become.

But all in all, the 80's were, imo, the worst musical decade ever. I like 70's music. I like 60's music. I like 50's. (Chuck Berry pwns you all). I even go back a lot longer ago. I love classical music.

But I hate 80's music. It wasn't fun. It was annoying. Yeah, there are songs here and there that I liked (When a problem comes along, you must whip it!), but most were just...ugh.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:40 AM   #50
Go-Buckeyes
n00b

Wait a minute??

Where's The Cure? DePeche Mode?? or dare I say it? The Pet Shop Boys?? or Culture Club??