Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #101
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I've been stopping short of this comparison in my other posts because I thought they held up on their own without it... HOWEVER.

I feel like this discussion going on here would mirror exactly a discussion of smoking in the 1980s. I expect public opinion and perhaps regulation, most specifically on advertising, to mirror the progression that the anti-smoking movement took over the last few decades.

I hope it isn't as aggressive. I hope that there isn't the same level of demonization that occurred with smokers, especially towards individuals, but also towards corporations.

I don't think it would. Tobacco products have almost no health benefits and can be singled out for banishment, etc. What foods can be equated with tobacco products? I don't think it's any one particular food item or class of food but the amount and frequency of eating such food.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #102
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't think there should be banning or sin taxes on food. For every argument that it raises health care costs I'll note that 55 year olds dropping dead of a heart attack are not collecting 30+ years of social security they paid into. Or using Medicare for decades.

The biggest thing I'd do is turn to education. How many grown adults don't understand how weight is lost? I had a friend just the other day talk about getting on the HCG diet. There are tons of people who don't know how calories work, BMI, or other essential information. This should be taught in health classes.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #103
Kodos
Resident Alien

The author is speaking here in New Haven tomorrow about this book. Think I'll go check it out.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote