Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #651
Easy Mac

Could the refs, if they had flagged the holding on the safety, called an unsportsmanlike penalty as well? Wouldn't intentional holding fall under an attempt to gain a non-competitive advantage, especially since the point was to waste the clock? Enforcing that on the ensuing kickoff would have made the decision to return it more interesting.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #652
Logan
Head Coach

Could they? I guess. But you have times when a Culliv - sorry, I mean - a defender is completely burnt by a WR so he'll tackle him to "just" get the long PI penalty instead of a likely TD. And I've never seen an extra penalty tacked on to that.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #653
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Before everyone gets on the Niners bandwagon for the next few years, the Seahawks are right behind them, and let's not forget the team with the best in-division record this season was the Rams. They are young, and have a ton of picks the next few years. They are on the way up.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #654
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Before everyone gets on the Niners bandwagon for the next few years, the Seahawks are right behind them, and let's not forget the team with the best in-division record this season was the Rams. They are young, and have a ton of picks the next few years. They are on the way up.

Agreed. Their future is bright but the NFL changes too much from week to week let alone year to year. The 49ers could just as easily miss the playoffs next year.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #655
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post

True. But to RKG's point, the QB-Head Coach combo is a real big piece of it. And I'll take Kaep-Harbaugh over Wilson-Carroll any day.

Either way, a really solid division especially considering where it was just a couple years back.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #656
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
This is a really great non bias assesment.

I was watching last night with Saldana who is a huge Niners fan and was saying to him I think they will be back, they are so young and Harbaugh is such a talented head coach.

Niners and Seahawks are going to have some epic battles the next few years, should be fun.

Hey don't forget my beloved Cardinals are in that division too!...okay maybe you should.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #657
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I can't believe that the 49ers didn't run at least 1 designed run play for Kaepernick during that last series.

On 2nd down they did have a Kaep run called, but that was the play they ran out of time and the sideline called TO. If you look at the replay, you will notice he had a fairly big hole to run at if the play wasn't blown dead with the delay of game/timeout.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #658
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
So, a couple of thoughts from a fellow 49ers fan (many of which have already been mentioned in one form or another):

#1. Although it was a horribly called game, I can't get too upset about the non-calls against the 49ers because bad officiating likely affected both teams. I would bet that, if I reviewed the game, I would find multiple plays where the 49ers got away with penalties on key plays.

#2. I have a much bigger problem with the 49ers playcalling after the two minute warning. What happened to Bo Schembechler? Pitting man-against-man and just out muscling the Ravens? In the drive leading up to the two minute warning, the Raven's defense was tired and the 49ers basically did what they wanted to. It was a completely different run defense without Ngata, their best run stopper. You have to call some kind of run on 2nd and 3rd down, if only to cause the Ravens to consider burning a timeout or two. Those playcalling decisions are going to keep Harbaugh and Roman up at night for months.

#3. On the "Is Flacco elite" issue: I think the big problem I have with Flacco, and Eli Manning for that matter, is that they cannot carry that success into regular season performance. What separates Brady, Montana and other guys is that they did it in both the regular season and post-season. Flacco had 20 TD's and 12 INT's this past season, not exactly MVP numbers. If you look at the whole season from start to finish, arguably, Matt Ryan had a better total campaign than Flacco. If Manning and Flacco want to break into the Brady/Manning/Brees class, then they really have to show me something over a longer period of time during the regular season than just the post-season.

#4. That being said, you have to break the bank to sign Flacco this off-season. Flacco is a very good QB and would start for probably all but 1/3 of the league. If Mike Vick can get 2 100+ million contracts, then Flacco has certainly done enough to get one of his own.

#5. Anquan Boldin should have received Game MVP. With all due respect to Jacoby Jones, he had two big plays, one on busted coverage and the other with poor ST play. Boldin, on the other hand, just made spectacular catches throughout the game in key 3rd down situations. If you take away Boldin's numbers, Flacco's game is pretty pedestrian in retrospect.

#6. The 49ers biggest weakness got exposed in the 2nd half of the Patriots game, and it finally cost them in the Super Bowl: they have corners who can tackle, but not cover. Chris Culliver has to be the goat of this Super Bowl, for several reasons.

Bottom line, today is a tough day, but the future is very bright. I am more confident about the 49ers going forward because they have their QB. Once you have the QB and coach nailed down, as Belichek and Brady can attest to, you should have a nice competitive window.

The off-season needs seem few: we need at least one cover corner (side note: Darrelle Revis would probably have a bigger impact on the 49ers than any other team), some DL depth and a new kicker.

From a development perspective, the team needs to speed up Kaepernick's play calling because that is probably his biggest weakness. His pre-game reads take too long, resulting in far too many delay of game penalties late in the season and in the playoffs. It also cost the 49ers their second time out. They also need to develop A.J. Jenkins into a strong slot receiver and get Manningham healthy.

If they do those things, I can see the 49ers right back here in New York in 2014.

Very good post and I fully agree, Boldin should have been the game MVP.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #659
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Love Bill Barnwell, he does a pretty good job nailing it:

Bill Barnwell puts the Ravens win in perspective - Grantland

Great article.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #660
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Agreed. Their future is bright but the NFL changes too much from week to week let alone year to year. The 49ers could just as easily miss the playoffs next year.

Super Bowl Hangover effect.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #661
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Congrats to the Ravens. They beat three really good teams on the road to win the Super Bowl. They deserve to be the champs.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #662
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Flacco has upped his game. The offensive cordinator let him to his thing and he responded. Flacco has been inconsistent because the Ravens wouldnt let him go out there and throw it around the field. And the Ravens may be close to finding Rice's replacement already. Pierce looks solid. Rice can be the 3rd down guy and limit his carries soon.

Flacco is actually at his best in the no huddle spreading the field. He plays his best ball when he is throwing it 35+ times.

Agreed. Very impressed with him since the change in OC. 11 TD's and 0 INT's in the playoffs isn't an accident.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #663
RedKingGold
College Starter

Perhaps this belongs in a separate thread, but it's a fun exercise to try and tier current starting QB's in the league. This is my opinion:

Tier #1: Players who have had MVP performances in both regular season and post-season, sure-fire Hall-of-Famers:

Tom Brady (Patriots)
Peyton Manning (Broncos)
Drew Brees (Saints)
Aaron Rodgers (Packers)

Tier #2: Succeeded in the post-season, but have not put up MVP-like numbers in the regular season. As post-season is more important, potential Hall-of-Famers:

Eli Manning (Giants)
Ben Roethlisberger (Steelers)
Joe Flacco (Ravens) (he moved into this group last night)

Tier #3: Have all the tools to get into Tier #1 or Tier #2, but for whatever reason (supporting talent, coaching or lack of intangibles), just can't get it done:

Matt Schuab (Texans)
Phillip Rivers (Chargers)
Jay Cutler (Bears)
Matthew Stafford (Lions)
Matt Ryan (Falcons) (FWIW, I think he's next to break through like Flacco)
Tony Romo (Cowboys)

Tier #4: Players who are too young to classify as Tier #2, Tier #3 or Tier #5:

Andy Dalton (Bengals) (trending towards Tier #3)
Brandon Weeden (Browns) (trending towards Tier #5)
Andrew Luck (Colts) (trending towards Tier #2)
Blaine Gabbert (Jaguars) (trending towards Tier #5)
Jake Locker (Titans) (trending towards Tier #5)
Ryan Tannehill (Dolphins) (trending towards Tier #3)
Christian Ponder (Vikings) (trending towards Tier #3)
Cam Newtown (trending towards Tier #3)
Josh Freeman (trending towards Tier #3)
Nick Foles (trending towards Tier #5)
RGIII (trending towards Tier #2)
Colin Kaepernick (trending towards Tier #2)
Russell Wilson (trending towards Tier #2)
Sam Bradford (trending towards Tier #3)

Tier #5: Replacement-level starters, guys unlikely to win a Super Bowl based on what we have seen:

Ryan Fitzpatrick (Bills)
Mark Sanchez (Jets)
Matt Cassel (Chiefs)
Carson Palmer (Raiders)
Kevin Kolb (Cardinals)
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #664
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Perhaps this belongs in a separate thread, but it's a fun exercise to try and tier current starting QB's in the league. This is my opinion:

Tier #1: Players who have had MVP performances in both regular season and post-season, sure-fire Hall-of-Famers:

Tom Brady (Patriots)
Peyton Manning (Broncos)
Drew Brees (Saints)
Aaron Rodgers (Packers)

Tier #2: Succeeded in the post-season, but have not put up MVP-like numbers in the regular season. As post-season is more important, potential Hall-of-Famers:

Eli Manning (Giants)

Tier #3: Have all the tools to get into Tier #1 or Tier #2, but for whatever reason (supporting talent, coaching or lack of intangibles), just can't get it done:

Matt Schuab (Texans)
Jay Cutler (Bears)
Matthew Stafford (Lions)
Tony Romo (Cowboys)

Tier #5: Replacement-level starters, guys unlikely to win a Super Bowl based on what we have seen:

Ryan Fitzpatrick (Bills)
Mark Sanchez (Jets)
Matt Cassel (Chiefs)
Carson Palmer (Raiders)
Kevin Kolb (Cardinals)

I find this hard to argue with.

What will be interesting is if/when Brees, Brady, P. Manning hang on for a year or two too long and we have to create a "Tier Zero" for QBs who have all the skins on the wall but are showing enough of the effect of age that you can't really call them elite.

I don't think that either of the three is there yet, but I could see it happening before too long if they don't hang it up.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 02-04-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: removed superfluous apostrophe
Old 02-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #665
RedKingGold
College Starter

A couple of thoughts on putting this list together:

#1. I think you'd take anyone in Tier #4 who is trending towards Tier #2 over anyone in Tier #3. For example, you would take Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck or RGIII over Tony Romo, Philip Rivers or Jay Cuter. You'd still, however, take anyone in Tier #2 over Tier #4 trending to Tier #2, so Flacco, Eli and Ben over anyone in Tiers #3 and Tier #4.

#2. I wonder if I'm being too unfair towards Mark Sanchez. I think only the Rams had worse receivers this year after Santonio Holmes went down, and the guy was still good enough to get to a couple AFC Championship games. If I did this list last year or two years ago, Sanchez would probably go in Tier #3. Of any of the QB's in Tier #5, Sanchez is more likely to be saved.

#3. There are a lot of young QB's who can just go either way right now. Playing the odds, I think you'd take anyone in Tier #3 over anyone in Tier #4 with the potential to go to Tier #3. So, Tony Romo over Cam Newton? I think I can live with that.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #666
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I think Gabbert belongs in tier 5. Freeman maybe as well, but he's shown flashes.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #667
RedKingGold
College Starter

Tend to agree on Gabbert, but think you really have to give a QB three years of starting before you can classify them. Also, Gabbert hasn't had a lot to work with in terms of coaching and supporting talent.

Freeman is volitile. I want to see what he does with another year of Vincent Jackson and an improving OL. I also like Schiano as coach, so that should help Freeman improve.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #668
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Two years ago, I'd have bet Schaub as the next to make the big leap up to Tier 2. Now I wonder if he's destined for Tier 5.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #669
Desnudo
Coordinator

Amazing to remember that the Ravens were a 4th and 29 away from maybe not making the playoffs at all. Once again, root cause is always Norv Turner.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #670
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Cool list RKG

I would have split teir 4 into guys trending upward, Luck, RG3, Kaep, etc... and guys trending downward, Gabbert, Ponder, etc...

Crazy as it sounds I'm not sure Rodgers is a HOF lock just yet. I think Brees, Brady, and Peyton are clearly a cut above. Rodgers does what he's been doing a few more years and he is a lock, right now I'm not just sure.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #671
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Amazing to remember that the Ravens were a 4th and 29 away from maybe not making the playoffs at all. Once again, root cause is always Norv Turner.

Speaking of Norv Turner, it's a shame that he's basically ruined Phillip Rivers' career to date. Under a competent head coach, Rivers would probably be easily on Tier #2 of that list by now.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #672
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Cool list RKG

I would have split teir 4 into guys trending upward, Luck, RG3, Kaep, etc... and guys trending downward, Gabbert, Ponder, etc...

Crazy as it sounds I'm not sure Rodgers is a HOF lock just yet. I think Brees, Brady, and Peyton are clearly a cut above. Rodgers does what he's been doing a few more years and he is a lock, right now I'm not just sure.

Yeah, Rodgers is borderline Tier #2/Tier #1 at this point. I nudged him into Tier #1 because he's done it in the Regular Season. He won the MVP last year, and likely finished third this year behind Peterson and Peyton.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #673
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Good list. I'm wondering if there aren't a few more tiers somewhere in there though. As it is, tier 3 seems to be any QB capable of winning a SB while tier 2 seems to be those guys that have won a SB. Who knows though, this may be right as our perspective of any of those tier 3 guys would likely change with a good post-season run culminating in a Super Bowl win and I can't think of anyone that would really fit that extra tier right now. Kind of a Jake Delhomme in his prime tier. Maybe a guy like Michael Vick heading into this past season. I do think though that guys like Ryan and Stafford are in some way above the others at this point, although all are capable of winning a championship.

I also agree with tier 4 being the younger guys trending upward and tier 5 being the guys trending downwards with tier 6 being the slugs.

Also, I'm not sure I buy the argument that anyone in Tier 2 comes before anyone like Luck, Griffin, Kaepernick or Wilson. For next season? Yes, but if we are talking about signing someone over the next five years I may take some of those younger guys, even with the caveat that we are only talking the next five years. Would be close though.

Almost all of that is nitpicking though and for the most part it's a good analysis.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #674
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post

They would've still made the playoffs had they lost that game, though as the 6th seed.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #675
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Tier four simply has too many QBs in it. It feels all sorts of wrong to have QBs like Luck, RGIII, and Wilson in with Weeden and Gabbert. I would break them into three tiers projecting into tiers 2, 3, and 5.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #676
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Great list that I agree with most of it. I think Ponder is trending towards #5 over #3 however. He wont be starting in a couple of years.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #677
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Great list that I agree with most of it. I think Ponder is trending towards #5 over #3 however. He wont be starting in a couple of years.

I think that if I had to pick right now, I'd take Locker over Ponder.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #678
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
A couple of thoughts on putting this list together:

#1. I think you'd take anyone in Tier #4 who is trending towards Tier #2 over anyone in Tier #3. For example, you would take Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck or RGIII over Tony Romo, Philip Rivers or Jay Cuter. You'd still, however, take anyone in Tier #2 over Tier #4 trending to Tier #2, so Flacco, Eli and Ben over anyone in Tiers #3 and Tier #4.

#2. I wonder if I'm being too unfair towards Mark Sanchez. I think only the Rams had worse receivers this year after Santonio Holmes went down, and the guy was still good enough to get to a couple AFC Championship games. If I did this list last year or two years ago, Sanchez would probably go in Tier #3. Of any of the QB's in Tier #5, Sanchez is more likely to be saved.

#3. There are a lot of young QB's who can just go either way right now. Playing the odds, I think you'd take anyone in Tier #3 over anyone in Tier #4 with the potential to go to Tier #3. So, Tony Romo over Cam Newton? I think I can live with that.

You were not too hard on Sanchez, he may even belong in tier 6
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #679
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Super Bowl XLVII Can't-Miss Play: Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Jacoby Jones sets record with kickoff return for TD to open 2nd half - NFL Videos

Just rewatched the return cause of a post on another forum. Check out the 10 second or so mark, where both Ed Reed and Abandejo have #49 in a bear hug which springs the return.

Then notice there were 2 refs with a pretty good view of the play as well. Crazy.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #680
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and mute, cause of shitty ass announcers
Old 02-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #681
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
You were not too hard on Sanchez, he may even belong in tier 6

No that's where the other Cardinals QB's John Skelton, Ryan Lindley are. He's not that bad. Curious where Tim Tebow would go if you had to put him on this list?
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #682
Blackadar
Retired

49er fan tears are so delicious.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #683
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Super Bowl XLVII Can't-Miss Play: Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Jacoby Jones sets record with kickoff return for TD to open 2nd half - NFL Videos

Just rewatched the return cause of a post on another forum. Check out the 10 second or so mark, where both Ed Reed and Abandejo have #49 in a bear hug which springs the return.

Then notice there were 2 refs with a pretty good view of the play as well. Crazy.

Wow...
Old 02-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #684
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
49er fan tears are so delicious.

stevew and Troy are Niners fans?
Old 02-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #685
DanGarion
Coordinator

Dude, RKG, you forgot Alex Smith... I would say he's probably a Tier #3.

Quote:

Tom Brady (Patriots)
Peyton Manning (Broncos)
Drew Brees (Saints)
Aaron Rodgers (Packers)

Eli Manning (Giants)

Matt Schuab (Texans)
Jay Cutler (Bears)
Matthew Stafford (Lions)
Tony Romo (Cowboys)

Ryan Fitzpatrick (Bills)
Mark Sanchez (Jets)
Matt Cassel (Chiefs)
Carson Palmer (Raiders)
Kevin Kolb (Cardinals)
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #686
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I didn't think I would get to watch the game but ended up watching it at work while we performed a test on a satellite.

Somehow, I managed to "tune out" most of the ads. The ones that stuck with me were the baby Clydesdales (in a good way) and the old people at Taco Bell (in a bad way--seriously, first thing I thought of was that they were going there for "regularity").

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #687
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Buttfumble is too high on your list RKG
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #688
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
stevew and Troy are Niners fans?

Did I name anyone on this forum?

Project much?
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #689
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I didn't think I would get to watch the game but ended up watching it at work while we performed a test on a satellite.

Somehow, I managed to "tune out" most of the ads. The ones that stuck with me were the baby Clydesdales (in a good way) and the old people at Taco Bell (in a bad way--seriously, first thing I thought of was that they were going there for "regularity").

/tk

My favorite commercial was the Oreo library fight. Solid commercial as is, but having everyone whisper the entire commercial sent it over the top for me. The Audi commercial where the kid kissed the prom queen and left with a shiner was pretty awesome too.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #690
lungs
Pro Rookie

That Dodge commercial about farmers is starting to annoy me because all the farmers in my social media feeds won't shut up about it.

Interestingly, I've bought a new Dodge Durango (personal) and a new Dodge Ram (farm truck) in the past six months.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #691
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Wow...

I didn't notice that in real time, but wow...
Old 02-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #692
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
That Dodge commercial about farmers is starting to annoy me because all the farmers in my social media feeds won't shut up about it.

Interestingly, I've bought a new Dodge Durango (personal) and a new Dodge Ram (farm truck) in the past six months.

Apparently it was a ripoff of a youtube video posted a while back.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #693
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Apparently it was a ripoff of a youtube video posted a while back.

Not a rip off, they approached the group that did the original because they liked it.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:08 AM   #694
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't get the steeler fans who are glad the 49ers lost so "they wouldn't match our 6 super bowls". I'm about to just become a fan of the league or something.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:20 AM   #695
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I don't get the steeler fans who are glad the 49ers lost so "they wouldn't match our 6 super bowls". I'm about to just become a fan of the league or something.

I can see how you might not share the same feeling, but I totally get that sentiment. Being proud of the history and records held by your favorite team and not wanting anyone else to match or surpass your records... absolutely!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:42 AM   #696
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The behind the scenes stuff about putting together the Super Bowl on this week's 60 Minutes Sports on Showtime was really interesting. I wish there was a bit more behind the scenes blackout drama, but I'm sure the NFL had a tight leash on what they were allowed to show.