Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-29-2011, 11:17 PM   #201
MrBug708
Head Coach

Good for Stanford, the PAC-12 still has a chance at the NCG.

Great seeing Lane's expression. I'm surprised he wasn't halfway on the field calling for a replay
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #202
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think Oregon beats Stanford easily, they don't seem to have the depth at defense to play against the tempo Oregon brings.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:24 PM   #203
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

ahahahahaahah WTF I DONT EVEN

Stanford will cross the Oregon bridge when it gets to it. Gonna be a tough game. For now, though, just happy to be alive the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP RACE
Old 10-29-2011, 11:25 PM   #204
MrBug708
Head Coach

USC boards are livid with the refs...haha...irony is thick over there
Old 10-29-2011, 11:52 PM   #206
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Maybe the best pick 6 I've seen ever in the Washington-Arizona game.

Pretty sick return. I was not happy.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:29 AM   #207
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Just finished watching the game, disappointing loss.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:50 AM   #208
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Chris Polk is a beast
Old 10-30-2011, 01:50 AM   #209
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Please tell me the calls in the UW/Arizona game didn't look as bad on TV, because the replays we saw on the Jumbotron made them look like the refs were clearly on the take for Arizona:

- the no pass interference call against Kearse early in the game
- the call of no catch on the long pass to Hartvigson, and then inexplicably not overturning it on the replay when it was fucking blatantly obvious that it was a catch
- the "helmet to helmet" call against Fellner, which was actually helmet to shoulder pad

Plus any number of non-calls when Arizona OL were holding.

Doesn't excuse the what-the-fuck pick six by Golden where our offense totally gave up on the play after he broke several tackles. He was literally jogging at half speed the last 20 yards and yet we had almost nobody making an effort at that point to catch him.

Amazed we still won by 11 - Arizona's defense = really bad, and Chris Polk is a beast. Hard to think he won't be one of the top 2-3 RB in this upcoming draft, if not the best.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:24 AM   #210
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Holy shit, what a game (Stanford-USC). Wow.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:12 AM   #211
mckerney
Coordinator

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #212
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
My case of beer bet is getting scarier by the week. I may lose it now. No one in the B1G is very good.

Badgers losing on the road to tough defenses makes them not very good? THey're still the class of the B1G, which as a whole is not very good this year.

If the Badgers can somehow sneak into the B1G Championship game and win that then that will help make up for some of this lost season.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:16 AM   #213
Butter
Coordinator

Fuck you, Bret Bielema.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #214
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Badgers losing on the road to tough defenses makes them not very good? THey're still the class of the B1G, which as a whole is not very good this year.

If the Badgers can somehow sneak into the B1G Championship game and win that then that will help make up for some of this lost season.

Being 2 games behind PsU will be tough to overcome.
Yes the Badgers lost to 2 tough defenses, and I still think they are the class of the B1G. But they lost twice. To B1G opponents. Nebraska just manhandled MSU and OSU is average this season.
I really like this Wisconsin team, but you have to win on the road or you are not very good.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:34 AM   #215
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yes the Badgers lost to 2 tough defenses, and I still think they are the class of the B1G. But they lost twice. To B1G opponents. Nebraska just manhandled MSU and OSU is average this season.
I really like this Wisconsin team, but you have to win on the road or you are not very good.

Penn State's last 3 games are vs. Nebraska, @OSU, @Wisconsin. They will be lucky to win 1 of those games.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #216
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Please tell me the calls in the UW/Arizona game didn't look as bad on TV, because the replays we saw on the Jumbotron made them look like the refs were clearly on the take for Arizona:

- the no pass interference call against Kearse early in the game
- the call of no catch on the long pass to Hartvigson, and then inexplicably not overturning it on the replay when it was fucking blatantly obvious that it was a catch
- the "helmet to helmet" call against Fellner, which was actually helmet to shoulder pad

Plus any number of non-calls when Arizona OL were holding.

Doesn't excuse the what-the-fuck pick six by Golden where our offense totally gave up on the play after he broke several tackles. He was literally jogging at half speed the last 20 yards and yet we had almost nobody making an effort at that point to catch him.

Amazed we still won by 11 - Arizona's defense = really bad, and Chris Polk is a beast. Hard to think he won't be one of the top 2-3 RB in this upcoming draft, if not the best.

I'm not one to bitch about officials but that was the worst I have ever seen. Especially on the catch they reviewed and still called it no catch. Even my wife who was looking online at recipes for a Halloween party we are hosting tomorrow comment on how bad the refs were. IT was like a circus.

That being said I really like where we are headed. We are loaded on offense and winning the games we should be. If you told me before the season we would be at 6-2 with our only losses to Stanford and Nebraska I would have signed up for sure.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #217
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Wisconsin only needs to make one game up before they play each other. Considering both their schedules, that should be easy to do. I didn't look at the conference as a whole, but the best road win by a Big Ten team so far is either MSU beating an undermanned OSU team that played so godawful bad even the announcers admitted it was more than State playing well, or OSU beating Illinois, who hasn't won since playing the Big Ten teams with a pulse.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #218
Comey
College Starter

Quote:

Nope. PSU is about to get exposed, hard. I've never seen a worse team with such a good record. As much as I love PSU, I have zero faith in this team to rise to the occasion.

Then again, I had no faith in them to achieve what they have so far.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:48 AM   #219
Easy Mac

So my question is this:

Lets assume LSU remains undefeated and the other undefeateds fall off. Stanford loses to Oregon, Bama loses to LSU, OK State loses to OU, Boise loses to someone, and K State loses in the B12 game (we're ignoring Houston, as they stand no chance).

So who plays LSU? Oregon and Bama would likely be fighting it out for #2. If Bama LSU is close, should Oregon still get a rematch? If it's a blow-out, how do you tell the teams apart.

Something similar is true if Bama is the only undefeated left standing. Would a 1 loss Oregon get in over a 1 loss LSU?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #220
mckerney
Coordinator

It wouldn't surprise me if the loser of Alabama/LSU is ranked below some of the other one loss teams by the human poll in the event that there are no other undefeated teams by voters who want to avoid a rematch. Boise will probably be undefeated so I don't think we will see that issue.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #221
MrBug708
Head Coach

The UW/Arizona game was bad for both teams. I think UW got more calls, but they also got screwed out of some really bad calls
Old 10-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #223
Swaggs
Coordinator

It makes me laugh that Virginia Tech is ranked above Clemson in the Coaches' Poll this week.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #224
Easy Mac

VT has the better loss?
Old 10-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #225
bronconick
College Starter

Can we at least wait long enough to see whether the first LSU/Alabama is close enough to warrant a rematch before we start talking about it? If one curbstomps the other as unlikely as that must seem right now, that should be the end of it.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #226
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Can we at least wait long enough to see whether the first LSU/Alabama is close enough to warrant a rematch before we start talking about it? If one curbstomps the other as unlikely as that must seem right now, that should be the end of it.

Even if Oregon is the other main 1 loss team? We've seen how they match up.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #227
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
VT has the better loss?

In a weird way, yeah

Honestly though, I think it probably gets back into how a voter ranks teams. Is it season-to-date, is it how good you think they are right now, is it how you believe the teams actually rank compared to each other, do you start playing "who would beat who" to separate similar records, etc, etc.

For most voters I imagine it's probably a mix of most of those things, where it really differs is how you weight the various factors.

I just looked at my own poll from last week, to see what I'm likely to do in the new one. No doubt that VT will be ahead of Clemson in my next one. It's the aspect of "how do the teams stack up against each other at this moment" that'll swing it for me & I don't feel particularly apologetic about that. It's the same thing that prevents me from moving South Carolina up in spite of another win, they simply don't appear to be nearly as good as their record anymore. I won't downgrade them much until they lose, I don't totally ignore their work-to-date but I'm not inclined to think they're any better than they were before Lattimore went down either.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #228
bronconick
College Starter

I'd pick a 3rd team. Rematches in a two team playoff for a sport where over 90% of teams don't play each other are stupid.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #229
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
I'd pick a 3rd team. Rematches in a two team playoff for a sport where over 90% of teams don't play each other are stupid.

This.

I think voters will realize this too and manipulate the polls to make sure one of them gets left out of the discussion, especially if there are still other undefeated teams out there. The loser of the game is going to have a huge boost in the computer polls for just being in the SEC so it will be up to the voters to make sure it doesn't happen. Computers will have the loser still ahead of teams like BSU and Stanford just from where they're at now. There is zero chance of Oregon and other 1 loss teams to get ahead of the LSU/Bama loser.

At least that's my opinion.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #231
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Why pick a 3rd team if the top 2 are clearly the best 2 teams in FBS? I don't want to see Stanford if Alabama is clearly better.

How do you objectively prove that?

Stanford plays Oregon
LSU played (and beat) Oregon
Alabama plays LSU

The next closest comparable is something like 4-5 degrees of separation, thus the problem. Frankly, I expect the midwestern voters and the voters from whoever is the other available option(s) to make sure Alabama isn't in a rematch after Florida passed Michigan in 2006 on the backs of SEC voters putting them around 10th after a 3 point loss at #1.

Last edited by bronconick : 10-30-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #232
Swaggs
Coordinator

I can buy "the look" test as a method of ranking teams, but then you have to consider that Virginia Tech struggled yesterday to beat Duke (and last week against BC, although they did eventually blow that one open) by 4 points.

I'd just suggest that Clemson's out of conference resume is far superior to Tech's and they soundly beat them head to head (+20 @ Blacksburg, to boot). Clemson beat a ranked and currently 6-2 Auburn (giving Auburn their first loss in over a year), while VPI's best OOC win is a 7-point road win over a 4-4 ECU.

Not trying to slam VPI (in this particular case) and I am think they deserve to be ranked in the top 15, but it is just humorous to see those two particular teams ranked right next to each other with Virginia Tech being on top at this point of the season.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:06 PM   #233
MJ4H
Coordinator

I can think of 3 losses for Auburn this season (Clemson, Arkansas, LSU), so I don't think they are 6-2.

Last edited by MJ4H : 10-30-2011 at 02:06 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #234
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Clemson beat a ranked and currently 6-2 Auburn (giving Auburn their first loss in over a year), while VPI's best OOC win is a 7-point road win over a 4-4 ECU.

That kind of requires the observer to be impressed by Auburn ... I ain't. That's almost as big a smoke-and-mirrors 6-3 as any in the country I think.

As you seemed to say though, "it's all good". Things will likely shake themselves out over the next few weeks anyway.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-30-2011 at 02:12 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #235
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
I can think of 3 losses for Auburn this season (Clemson, Arkansas, LSU), so I don't think they are 6-2.

My bad. Although I don't think it changes the argument a whole lot.

I think most folks would agree that Auburn is a considerably better win that ECU at this point.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #236
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That kind of requires the observer to be impressed by Auburn ... I ain't. That's almost as big a smoke-and-mirrors 6-3 as any in the country I think.

As you seemed to say though, "it's all good". Things will likely shake themselves out over the next few weeks anyway.

Much like I explained to my son earlier.....this will work itself out by the final polls one way or the other. Lots of similar stories, but Clemson specifically has vt and sc ahead of them....all 3 are 1 loss teams. Vt's loss is to Clemson at home, and sc's only loss is to a team that Clemson beat.

In both cases Clemson will get to atone. Playing sc at home and either gt beats vt dropping them down the polls or vt wins and Clemson will likely get a rematch in Charlotte, unless of course Clemson loses to wake, in which case they don't deserve to be ranked.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:05 AM   #237
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Kiffen is a douchenozzle. There was a game earlier this year that perfectly explained why he doesn't get the TO there at the end - almost the same situation, and the clock ran out. Unlike an out of bounds play, the clock doesn't stop when the player hits the ground, it's when the ref signals the play dead. So there's a natural lapse of time, plus the lapse of time to call the TO.

I believe in the game I'm thinking of earlier this year, it was a first down catch/run and the guy went down with 1 second and they still let the clock run out because by the time the ref signalled the play down, the clock had expired. In USC's case, he was in bounds and short of the 1st down, so there was no shot at stopping the clock. By the time the play was blown dead and a TO taken, that .6 seconds or whatever it was had run off. I don't really care what a mistaken official told you - you weren't lied to, someone else ruled it the way it's supposed to be called.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:52 AM   #238
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Gg jacket fans.....

My "reverse jinx" here worked. The fumble on Clemson's second possession really turned the tide. GT's first two offensive possessions were what we had seen for 2.5 games out of the GT offense. Getting that fumble and the short field changed everything. Then, the next series #34 for Clemson misplays the option, Tevin runs for a bunch and it was like a light bulb came back on. Fun to watch.

Watkins is really something special. Our true freshman DB #14 Jemea Thomas played the game of his life on Saturday night, largely matched up against Watkins. Watkins still had 150+. Hope we get to see him again this year and then very infrequently after that.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:55 AM   #239
Ksyrup

That game wasn't even as close as the final score, either. GT got absolutely HOSED on a non-offsides call at the goal line that directly caused a fumble. Instead of going down by 4 scores, Clemson took it down and scored to make it a 2-possession game. The dude was even with the OLman when the ball was snapped, he basically took the center snap from the QB, and no one threw a flag.

Inexcusable.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-31-2011, 12:02 PM   #240
booradley
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
... unless of course Clemson loses to wake, in which case they don't deserve to be ranked.

Splutter ... gasp ... rage ... froth ... AAAARRGH!!!
booradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:01 PM   #241
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That game wasn't even as close as the final score, either. GT got absolutely HOSED on a non-offsides call at the goal line that directly caused a fumble. Instead of going down by 4 scores, Clemson took it down and scored to make it a 2-possession game. The dude was even with the OLman when the ball was snapped, he basically took the center snap from the QB, and no one threw a flag.

Inexcusable.

Yeah, when the snap gets intercepted from directly under center, something is wrong.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:06 PM   #242
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That game wasn't even as close as the final score, either. GT got absolutely HOSED on a non-offsides call at the goal line that directly caused a fumble. Instead of going down by 4 scores, Clemson took it down and scored to make it a 2-possession game. The dude was even with the OLman when the ball was snapped, he basically took the center snap from the QB, and no one threw a flag.Inexcusable.

The conference officially acknowledged the fucked up no-call today btw.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-31-2011 at 02:06 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:12 PM   #243
Ksyrup

Yeah, and they acknowledge horrible calls and terrible officiating every week. Doesn't seem to HELP any, but they go ahead and acknowledge a bunch of errors every week. See: FSU's complaints about the official moving the ball forward on a 1st down measurement we discussed a few weeks ago, and Greg Reid's punt return TD from last week that was nullified because pointing to the ground is somehow the same as calling for a fair catch.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:02 PM   #244
MrBug708
Head Coach

Oh Lane *sigh*