Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Official College Football thread - Week 9

Another early start this week, with Troy playing Florida International on Tuesday.

Only a couple of Top 25 matchups this weekend:

Oklahoma at Kansas State
Michigan State at Nebraska
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:22 AM   #2
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

No clue on who wins the MSU vs. Nebraska game. Michigan gets Purdue for what might be their most winnable game from here on out and I think Purdue has enough to make it interesting.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:35 AM   #3
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Belated congrats to the USC contingent. I've learned to expect the game-deciding fumble inside the opponent's 5 that's returned for a touchdown, but the way USC's young OL manhandled ND was impressive. I assume Kalil will leave early, but if Kiffin wants to stop getting cute and turn USC into a power running team I think he has a pretty good base.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
Butter
Coordinator

Clemson @ Georgia Tech should be an interesting game Saturday night. Clemson has had some good seasons hurt at the hands of the Yellow Jackets in recent years, would be nice to return the favor... I think I am still waiting for the week when Clemson decides to let down, but with each passing week I grow a tiny bit more confident that it won't come at all.

Wisconsin @ Ohio State should be an interesting game. If you like running the ball, you should like this game. I don't see Ohio State winning, unless Wisconsin comes in with a massive Sparty hangover. OSU has probably had the worst success vs. Wisconsin of anyone else in the B1G in the Tressel years, don't see why it wouldn't continue.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:08 AM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

As porous as Clemson's D has been, it will only take 1 week where they are just out of synch, or have an injury, or someone schemes well to stop them, and they won't be able to score enough to overcome it. But they're a good team. I'd love to see them and Oklahoma State matchup.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
MacroGuru
Coordinator

BYU @ TCU - Jerry's House....Neutral site game....in Dallas...tell me that it won't be a home game for TCU....

Our series is 5-5 with TCU but we have had our asses kicked the past few years against them. Hopefully our offense is really awake and can play this game well.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
digamma
Torchbearer

Hard to come up with a worse scenario for a Ga Tech-Clemson game. The Ga Tech team is a shell of what it was the first four weeks of the season. Part of this is due to key injuries on the OL, causing the QB to run for his life, and part of it is due to the QB absolutely losing his mind and confidence. Add to that wildly inconsistent special teams and a young, undersized defense and you've got a recipe for a repeat of 2006 (31-7, Clemson).

I think Jackets' fans (me included) got a little spoiled about how well the team was performing against sub-par competition and overlooked some holes that were there from the beginning. I just don't see how this one turns out very well for the guys dressed in white and gold.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
Butter
Coordinator

Clemson's history of bad special teams has yet to come to life. They typically have a good return game, but they also typically have at LEAST one game a year where a blocked kick, punt, missed FG, blocked FG, or PAT wackiness will physically cost them a game.

So far this year, the kicking game has been surprisingly sound. I HOPE this is not the week that threatens that trend. I know Ga Tech got them on a fake FG a couple of years ago that sent the Tigers on a downward spiral in that game.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I think Ohio State could be in for a world of hurtin if they let Wisconsin get up big early. They are a pissed off team and we all know Bielema doesn't care about running it up...not that I would complain if they did it to tOSU in the Horseshoe.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
you've got a recipe for a repeat of 2006 (31-7, Clemson).

I'll be surprised if it's even that close. Barring the sudden return of "bad Clemson" I expect this one to look more like the Saints-Colts score.

(At the risk of helping the Tigers any when they don't need it, you might consider asking John Smoltz for the name of the sports psychiatrist that helped him straighten his head out, couldn't hurt to have him on call just in case)
Old 10-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
bronconick
College Starter

If it's a blowout, it'll be something like 56-24 Clemson, because Clemson's D isn't holding anyone to 7 points and the offense has been on fire since the Auburn game.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:10 PM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Clemson's D isn't holding anyone to 7 points

Allow me to introduce you to Tevin Washington (circa conference play)

Miami had allowed 142 pts in 6 games before holding GT to 7
Clemson has allowed 200 pts in 8 games thus far
(edit) Maryland has given up over 40 ppg against their five most recent D1 opponents, held GT to 21.

There's seems to be at least a reasonable chance of Clemson holding GT to 10 or less.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-25-2011 at 01:12 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:48 PM   #14
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Clemson will likely be without starting RB Andre Ellington, which should lead super talented and hyper fumble prone Fr Mike Bellamy to get some carries, I look for this to be a story line.

Clemson may be without the nation's best TE in jr Duayne Allen who has a foot injury that has not allowed him to practice all week. This may be a story line.

I look for SDE 97 Mallicah Goodman and SOLB 34 Quandon Christian to be Tech's biggest allies as both are super talented, highly undisciplined and prone to over pursuit.

Clemson special temas issues are actually abound Bo6, kick coverage has returned to its pre Andre Powell spcial temas coached horrible levels and may be an isue again this week.

The biggest think Clemson has going for it, in my opinion, is GT's quick strike ability. I do not think GT can score with Clemson and if it becomes a track meet, Clemson will roll wave after wave of skill player in to wear down tech's D. The biggr concern would be GT managing to milk the clock and make long sustained drives. Clemson relies on failed early series to show false clues to open later plays and exploit adjustments. Last week against UNC Clemson had 18 possessions...If GT can limit that to closer to 10 look for the home crowd to dance in the streets Saturday night in Atlanta.

Vegas has this at a 3 point lne and falling with 98%+ of the action on Clemson....which tells me the smart money is puling the line down.

This game scares the shat out of me.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:37 AM   #15
dave731
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Clemson will likely be without starting RB Andre Ellington, which should lead super talented and hyper fumble prone Fr Mike Bellamy to get some carries, I look for this to be a story line.

Clemson may be without the nation's best TE in jr Duayne Allen who has a foot injury that has not allowed him to practice all week. This may be a story line.

I look for SDE 97 Mallicah Goodman and SOLB 34 Quandon Christian to be Tech's biggest allies as both are super talented, highly undisciplined and prone to over pursuit.

Clemson special temas issues are actually abound Bo6, kick coverage has returned to its pre Andre Powell spcial temas coached horrible levels and may be an isue again this week.

The biggest think Clemson has going for it, in my opinion, is GT's quick strike ability. I do not think GT can score with Clemson and if it becomes a track meet, Clemson will roll wave after wave of skill player in to wear down tech's D. The biggr concern would be GT managing to milk the clock and make long sustained drives. Clemson relies on failed early series to show false clues to open later plays and exploit adjustments. Last week against UNC Clemson had 18 possessions...If GT can limit that to closer to 10 look for the home crowd to dance in the streets Saturday night in Atlanta.

Vegas has this at a 3 point lne and falling with 98%+ of the action on Clemson....which tells me the smart money is puling the line down.

As a Clemson fan, I have reserved my room in New Orleans already but this game does scare me as well. A night game in Atlanta is already tough enough but then you add the Ellington and Allen injuries and the hill gets a little steeper. I know it is counter productive to say but I would really like to see Clemson put together some longer drives and try to run the ball more this game to keep the GT offense off the field as much as possible. Maybe some more of the jet sweeps to Watkins would help this. I have a feeling GT is going to do something different this week after the last 3 weeks of completely floundering. If Steele thinks he can just go back and watch the last 3 weeks of footage and run that, he could be in for a long night. I think he may open with whatever those teams did but Clemson is really good about making halftime adjustments this year. That is clearly a sign of good coaching regardless of talent. I am confident we get the win but this is the biggest/toughest game of the season for us until next week and the week after and the week after that.
dave731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:11 AM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave731 View Post
I have a feeling GT is going to do something different this week after the last 3 weeks of completely floundering.

Apparently you haven't met CPJ.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #17
Ksyrup

Quote:
Clemson will likely be without starting RB Andre Ellington

ACCSports ACC Sports
Dabo on Ellington - "By 8 o’clock Saturday night he’s going to be ready to play"
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #18
General Mike
Pro Starter

West Virginia at Rutgers is going to have terrible weather again.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #19
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

That actually may be a valid concern in this game, because it's really what the GT offense has become over the last month. The longest play in the last three games is 39 yards, and that drive did not result in a score.

The scoring drives over the last three games:

20 plays for 92 yards
11 plays for 80 yards
19 plays for 85 yards
8 plays for 63 yards
7 plays for 33 yards
5 plays for 17 yards

The quick strike ability has vanished. Again much of this is due to a QB who has completely lost his confidence. He's afraid to pitch the ball and has become wildly inaccurate throwing the ball.

I think this is due to two factors. One is facing real defensive lines. UNC, Maryland, Virginia and Miami are light years better than Kansas, MTSU and West Bumble. The second is OL injuries. The starting center is out this week, so either a youngster will play or we will move a tackle over to get his first start at center. The best OL (RG) has been playing dinged all year and has only been effective in spurts.

The result is the OL is not winning the basic battle versus the d-line. That has made the B-Back dive relatively ineffective and it has allowed defenses to fire an extra OL at the pitch man or the QB. That puts more pressure on the QB to make the right read and do so quickly. Washington is not doing that and it has spread like a cancer to the rest of his actions. Poor, ill advised or hurried throws. Wrong decisions to keep the ball, etc.

So, you end up with 3 to 4 yard gains. A need to convert on 3rd and 4th down, etc. It isn't pretty.

The weird thing is that this has the ability to be one of the most versatile GT offenses since PJ has been there. The A-backs can catch and block. The WR are actually doing a really good job blocking and have done a good job catching balls thrown near them (with one big exception against UNC). It's just not happening up front or in the QB's dome.

Lots of cries to pull a true frosh's redshirt. I don't think that will happen this late in the season, but I do think we could see a lot of Synjin Days, the back-up QB. He is a better runner, though he has ball security issues. He's unproven as a passer and I don't know how well he reads the dive-pitch decisions.

So, I think you are correct. The recipe for a GT victory is to take the air out of the ball.

A far cry from the ACC title game, when I remember a full possession of eating up chunks of yardage with just dives and mid-line options.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #20
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post

Looks like there's a chance this storm could miss.

Either way though, it wont be a fully dry day at Rutgers Stadium...Eric LeGrand will be leading the team out of the tunnel in his wheelchair.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #22
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
ABC/ESPN continue their amazing ability to put the worst possible matchup on for the DC area every week.

At 3:30 we don't get WVU/Rutgers at all except for ESPN3, Baylor at OSU is on ESPN2, and the ABC game is yet another shitty 10+2 matchup with Illinois at PSU. I'd rather be a little boy in a remote Catholic church.

At 8, we get Clemson at GA Tech instead of the Stanford at USC matchup that 75% of the country gets.

I really wish the brilliant TV folks would stop viewing DC as a regional viewing market and realize this town is all about top matchups regardless of who they are.

That is one thing that I hated about living in DC. The college football game selection overall sucked.

The NFL selection was hardly better. The Redskins and Ravens were usually the only two Sunday day games available.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #23
Easy Mac

Am I the only person who didn't know Pat Forde left ESPN for Yahoo?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #24
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

I don't feel like I can speak for the other 7 billion people in the world, but I knew.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:49 AM   #25
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post

I would think crappy weather may favor us since it will slow down WVU more. We don't need to be worry about slowing down as our OC only seems to drive in 1st gear (or 5th gear). I'm hoping we get the same defensive effort we got against PIT and SU, and that Gino Smith is his overrated self.

That being said, we haven't beaten them in 15 years so I'm not expecting much.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #26
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I would think crappy weather may favor us since it will slow down WVU more. We don't need to be worry about slowing down as our OC only seems to drive in 1st gear (or 5th gear). I'm hoping we get the same defensive effort we got against PIT and SU, and that Gino Smith is his overrated self.

I took my dad to the RU-WVU game about 6-7 years ago in horrible weather. RU was losing about 45-3 in the third quarter.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #27
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
ABC/ESPN continue their amazing ability to put the worst possible matchup on for the DC area every week.

At 3:30 we don't get WVU/Rutgers at all except for ESPN3, Baylor at OSU is on ESPN2, and the ABC game is yet another shitty 10+2 matchup with Illinois at PSU. I'd rather be a little boy in a remote Catholic church.

At 8, we get Clemson at GA Tech instead of the Stanford at USC matchup that 75% of the country gets.

I really wish the brilliant TV folks would stop viewing DC as a regional viewing market and realize this town is all about top matchups regardless of who they are.

Your 8pm problem is the new ACC/ESPN deal.
DC is UMd "2nd home" market and as a result will always get the ACC game over a national alternate.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #28
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

It was posted in a thread last week, or so.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #29
Ksyrup

I posted it somewhere. Not much was made of it, evidently. Sounds like the Bruce Feldman thing got him to looking for greener pastures.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #30
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You are not alone.

Now that I'm aware however, as erratic as his writing had become, I can't say that I see it being an exceptionally big loss. He seemed to be way the hell out in left field as often as he made a good point anymore.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #31
Ksyrup

It didn't seem like big enough news to justify its own thread, but it didn't neatly fit any one thread, so I threw it in one of the NCAA-related threads. I don't remember which one. Might have been the Feldman/Leach thread.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #32
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:

Same. I'm not gonna get my hopes up and then get kicked in the balls again.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 10-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #33
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You are not alone.

Now that I'm aware however, as erratic as his writing had become, I can't say that I see it being an exceptionally big loss. He seemed to be way the hell out in left field as often as he made a good point anymore.

ESPN Handcuffed him.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 10-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #34
Logan
Head Coach

Pitt's Ray Graham tore his ACL last night.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #35
Butter
Coordinator

Shit, they're making the Stanford/USC the national game over Clemson/Ga Tech? Looks like I'll have to bust out some good ol' streamtorrent magic that evening. Don't think my kids would like to be at a bar until 11:30 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:30 PM   #36
digamma
Torchbearer

Nevermind.

Last edited by digamma : 10-27-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #37
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa plays Minnesota. They are terrible. But the gasme is for Floyd of Rosedale, so you never know what will happen.

GO Hawks! Win that pig!
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #38
Ksyrup

You now, I'm a huge supporter of instant replay, but when they make horrendous calls like they just did in the UVA/Miami game, it really undercuts the use of replay. That fumble by Harris was CLEARLY recovered by the UVA defender. Harris got the ball the back while standing up, the ball was ripped out by the guy lying on his back, and they didn't over turn the call. I hate agreeing with Craig James but...wow.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #39
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
You now, I'm a huge supporter of instant replay, but when they make horrendous calls like they just did in the UVA/Miami game, it really undercuts the use of replay. That fumble by Harris was CLEARLY recovered by the UVA defender. Harris got the ball the back while standing up, the ball was ripped out by the guy lying on his back, and they didn't over turn the call. I hate agreeing with Craig James but...wow.

And as a UVA fan, the failure to adjust the spot on the Smith first down was just as bad.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:08 PM   #40
DeToxRox
Head Coach

8 TD passes for Case Keenum through 3 quarters.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:21 PM   #41
DeToxRox
Head Coach

TD #9 for Keenum. He's now at 530 yards.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #42
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just checked the Houston-Rice boxscore.

It's now 73-34 Houston with about 5 mins left ... but this one started out 17-7 Rice.

I'm not sure that WR Patrick Edwards line of 7/318/5td's isn't better than Keenum's 24-37/534/9/1
Old 10-27-2011, 10:54 PM   #43
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

Curious as to why you would think Geno is overrated? I don't think he's an All-American or anything, but I do think he's one of the top 10-20 QBs in the country.

I've generally been really impressed with him, given his age (No RS) and his transition to a new offense. He's been pretty solid in 1+ years as a starter, under two completely different offenses and horrendous offensive lines.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #44
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
ACCSports ACC Sports
Dabo on Ellington - "By 8 o’clock Saturday night he’s going to be ready to play"

Announced today Ellington will not start, but is available if needed.

Better get the hard cast cut off he has on right now....
Old 10-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #45
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I know TCU is in a down year but they have had BYU's number for the past 3 seasons...

Tonight, playing in Jerry's house...it's on!
Old 10-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #46
Kodos
Resident Alien

Maybe... just maybe... IU can beat Northwestern. Go Tre Roberson!
Old 10-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #47
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

NU up 7-0. Michigan/Purdue showing little signs of defense. 7-7.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #48
MJ4H
Coordinator

Arkansas 3 and out on first possession again. At least 5 straight games have started that way now.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #49
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Michigan using a lot of Gardner and numerous different sets. Robinson still throws an INT after passing decently so far.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #50
MJ4H
Coordinator

These slow starts are getting ridiculous. 3 and out, Vandy drives right down the field, leads 7-0.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote