Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #501
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
According to Peter King, the reason why the Jets' punter didn't play wasn't merely because he "felt ill", but because he was found to have a racing and irregular heartbeat just prior to the game.

So, a little less mystery there.

Maybe someone with an irregular heartbeat shouldn't be standing outside in below freezing temperatures, or at least with something more than sweatpants.

My brother-in-law's friend works on the Jets medical staff, I'll ask him to see if there's anything else to the story.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #502
RendeR
Coordinator

I just figured he had a savage case of diarrhea and wearing white pants and having to lift one's leg over one's head wasn't a good combination for a nationally televised game....
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #503
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Actually, one of the ESPN NFL writers had a good point on Twitter

Adam_Schefter

Key point: Prior to the 2008 season, a rule change was approved that eliminated the foul for the incidental grasp of the facemask.

So, if the five yard "Incidental Facemask" penalty was still alive, then yeah, I see that. I don't think it was a fifteen yarder.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #504
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Actually, one of the ESPN NFL writers had a good point on Twitter

Adam_Schefter

Key point: Prior to the 2008 season, a rule change was approved that eliminated the foul for the incidental grasp of the facemask.

So, if the five yard "Incidental Facemask" penalty was still alive, then yeah, I see that. I don't think it was a fifteen yarder.

The five-yard penalty didn't really go away, they just made all facemask infractions (incidental or otherwise) 15 yards.

Pretty stupid change, IMO.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #505
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The five-yard penalty didn't really go away, they just made all facemask infractions (incidental or otherwise) 15 yards.

Pretty stupid change, IMO.
Yeah, now if you just touch the facemask with your fingers it's a 15-yarder. Pretty silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I don't think we Packer fans have a right to be angry. Disappointed maybe, but not angry. While the last two plays contained penalties that should have been called, neither caused Green Bay to lose the game. The only thing that would have resulted from calling the penalty on the last play was nullifying a mistake. I don't feel that you can ever blame the refs for not nullifying a mistake. If you want to win, you have to avoid those mistakes at the crucial situations.
I agree. It's a tough way to lose but Green Bay didn't do enough to win. They had too many mistakes and it cost the team in the end. Still, it was nice to see them fight back from 24-7 (and 31-10) and not roll over like the other team on Sunday.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #506
JediKooter
Coordinator

Rodgers hits his receiver on 1st down, then Green Bay is advancing to the next round...Tough loss, but, that's football.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #507
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Yeah, now if you just touch the facemask with your fingers it's a 15-yarder. Pretty silly.

Not according to the league office. Here is their statement:

NFL offers context in face mask ruling - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN

Quote:
A "facemask" penalty is a judgment call that is not reviewable by replay.

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 5 of the NFL Rule Book (page 81) states that "no player shall twist, turn, or pull the facemask of an opponent in any direction."

The Rule Book describes the penalty as follows:

"Penalty: For twisting, turning or pulling the mask: loss of 15 yards. A personal foul. The player may be disqualified if the action is judged by the official(s) to be of a flagrant nature."

The Rule Book describes an approved ruling as it relates to facemask penalties (page 81).

"A.R. 12.12 - Third-and-10 on A30. Runner A1 runs to the A33, where he is tackled by B1, who incidentally grasps A1's facemask on the tackle, but it is not a twist, turn or pull. Ruling: A's ball, fourth-and-seven, on A33. No foul."

Prior to the 2008 season, a rule change was approved that eliminated the foul for the incidental grasp of the facemask.

The language of the rule as it relates to a facemask penalty through the 2007 season:

"Penalty: Incidental grasping of the mask -- five yards. Not a personal foul (if by the defense there is no automatic first down). Twisting, turning, or pulling the mask -- 15 yards. A personal foul. The player may be disqualified if the action is judged by the official(s) to be of a flagrant nature."
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #508
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Interesting, but I can't remember the last time I saw someone put their hand on a facemask, it's seen by an official and not called. I think the problem is once the hand goes on the facemask, it's almost impossible for a ref in real time to see if the facemask is "pulled". So, they usually throw the flag if it's even questionable.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #509
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They really need to add review on 15 yard penalties. The game changing nature on a bullshit roughing the passer, or a ticky tack interference penalty is too severe if the call is incorrect.

Now of course, that can't change something that wasn't called.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #510
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

See, here's my issue: The NFL currently can call some penalties based on instant replay. The one that instantly (no pun intended) comes to mind is intentional grounding. There may be others, but that is at least one example of a penalty called via replay where none was called on the field.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #511
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Interesting, but I can't remember the last time I saw someone put their hand on a facemask, it's seen by an official and not called.

On the other hand I felt like I saw a ton of it during the bowl games this year, a lot more than usual, but virtually no calls. Seemed like nearly every close up of the OL/DL battle you could spot a face mask being grabbed in the picture somewhere.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #512
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just got invited to the Saints game, about the 45 yard line. Time to decide if I want to go see a shootout, not sure if my friend wanted me to buy the ticket or just wants company.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #513
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
On the other hand I felt like I saw a ton of it during the bowl games this year, a lot more than usual, but virtually no calls. Seemed like nearly every close up of the OL/DL battle you could spot a face mask being grabbed in the picture somewhere.
I agree with this. In college, it seems like most facemasks are accepted. But, in the pros, even if a hand slides by a facemask the 15-yard flag comes out.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #514
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I just got invited to the Saints game, about the 45 yard line. Time to decide if I want to go see a shootout, not sure if my friend wanted me to buy the ticket or just wants company.

I say offer him the money, if he refuses but him a few beers at the game. Either way enjoy!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #515
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I say offer him the money, if he refuses but him a few beers at the game. Either way enjoy!

I'm guessing the tickets cost 200 plus. I don't really enjoy the Saints or the Cardinals enough to pay that kind of cash, but I certainly wouldn't mind going for free or a lesser amount.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #516
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

That is pretty steep for not being a fan of either team, but it will probably be a really fun atmosphere and an entertaining game.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:05 PM   #517
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I agree RedKingGold that a penalty should have been called on that play and probably the one before it too with the head to head of the QB hit on Rodgers. But if Rodgers had hit a wide open Jennings on the first play of overtime, the game would have been over already. And then he probably held on to the ball too long on the play where he fumbled.

So yes Packer fans have a right to be angry at the officials, but they should be angry at Rodgers too for his play in overtime.

It's too bad really that such a great game had to end on such a controversial play.

C'mon, Rogers played his ass off. He shouldn't get any blame.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 01-11-2010 at 11:05 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #518
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
They really need to add review on 15 yard penalties. The game changing nature on a bullshit roughing the passer, or a ticky tack interference penalty is too severe if the call is incorrect.

Do you really want PI reviewed? There are what, 70 passing plays a game. How many occur when there is contact near the time of the ball's arrival? 20? 30? More? I agree that PI/illegal contact can be game changing in nature (Cincy would have been blown out 37-0 again this weekend if not for phantom illegal contact calls) sometimes as much as turnovers. But, its just not practical to review those calls.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #519
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Do you really want PI reviewed? There are what, 70 passing plays a game. How many occur when there is contact near the time of the ball's arrival? 20? 30? More? I agree that PI/illegal contact can be game changing in nature (Cincy would have been blown out 37-0 again this weekend if not for phantom illegal contact calls) sometimes as much as turnovers. But, its just not practical to review those calls.

I want someone in the booth taking a second look at nearly every play, especially given how much time occurs BETWEEN plays. Let the offense rush up to the line whenever something is close, not just if they are worried about a coach review.

The NFL can afford to pay 5-10 people per game to sit and watch every camera feed from every play, and push a button if they seem something suspicious they want to review before the next play starts. And if it's to review an actual penalty, they have even more time. And if you move commercials from the specified breaks to these reviews, you won't add a lick of time to the game, especially if the reviewers are good enough to not stop things except for real issues.

Plus chip the freakin' football already. Heck, we ought to be able to track knees and elbows close enough to know when a player is down as well.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #520
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I want someone in the booth taking a second look at nearly every play, especially given how much time occurs BETWEEN plays. Let the offense rush up to the line whenever something is close, not just if they are worried about a coach review.

The NFL can afford to pay 5-10 people per game to sit and watch every camera feed from every play, and push a button if they seem something suspicious they want to review before the next play starts. And if it's to review an actual penalty, they have even more time. And if you move commercials from the specified breaks to these reviews, you won't add a lick of time to the game, especially if the reviewers are good enough to not stop things except for real issues.

Plus chip the freakin' football already. Heck, we ought to be able to track knees and elbows close enough to know when a player is down as well.

what he said. and i bet you could put lil chips onto the elbowpads (or elbowtape) and in the pants right on the knees and it would cost like nothing. shit, they can do it for every runner in the boston marathon in their shoes, but not in the nfl? c'mon
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #521
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
C'mon, Rogers played his ass off. He shouldn't get any blame.

He certainly did play his ass off. But in OT, he made the two mistakes that ultimately cost them the game. The missed pass to Jennings and the fumble. Who else do you blame for the loss?
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #522
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
He certainly did play his ass off. But in OT, he made the two mistakes that ultimately cost them the game. The missed pass to Jennings and the fumble. Who else do you blame for the loss?

I'd blame the defense. After putting up 45 points, there shouldn't have been an overtime.

But really, why do we need to blame anyone? Not all losses come because somebody screwed up. Sometimes one team out plays the other. Rodgers did miss Jennings on the pass, but how far was that throw? Do we expect 100% accuracy on 40+ yard throws? What this game came down to was a Cardinal team that played slightly better than the Packers, and had some decent breaks.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #523
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

How about the defense that gave up 50 points? It seems kind of wrong to blame someone that played a great game but made 2 mistakes over a defense that was a mistake the entire game.

I really hope Packers fans arent putting this one on Rodgers. He has proved to me in 2 short years that he is as good as Favre in his prime. He is the entire package. Great Arm, great accuracy, smart and can make plays with his legs. His biggest weakness is holding the ball but Id much rather have that than chucking the ball into double coverage hoping for the best.

Packers have a VERY promising future and the biggest reason is Aaron Rodgers.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-12-2010 at 10:32 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #524
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
How about the defense that gave up 50 points? It seems kind of wrong to blame someone that played a great game but made 2 mistakes over a defense that was a mistake the entire game.

I really hope Packers fans arent putting this one on Rodgers. He has proved to me in 2 short years that he is as good as Favre in his prime. He is the entire package. Great Arm, great accuracy, smart and can make plays with his legs. His biggest weakness is holding the ball but Id much rather have that than chucking the ball into double coverage hoping for the best.

Packers have a VERY promising future and the biggest reason is Aaron Rodgers.

You guys are missing my point here. I love Rodgers think he'll be a great QB for years to come, and after a shaky start had a great game...until OT. I am only talking about OT because that is eventually where they lost the game. Yes of course the defense should be "blamed" for an awful performance, but the Packers technically didn't lose the game until OT, when Aaron Rodgers made a couple of mistakes. I'd be "blaming" the loss on Kurt Warner (and well Neil Rackers too) if he had been the one to make the mistakes in OT that caused them to lose the game, despite an absolutely stellar performance otherwise.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #525
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
You guys are missing my point here. I love Rodgers think he'll be a great QB for years to come, and after a shaky start had a great game...until OT. I am only talking about OT because that is eventually where they lost the game. Yes of course the defense should be "blamed" for an awful performance, but the Packers technically didn't lose the game until OT, when Aaron Rodgers made a couple of mistakes. I'd be "blaming" the loss on Kurt Warner (and well Neil Rackers too) if he had been the one to make the mistakes in OT that caused them to lose the game, despite an absolutely stellar performance otherwise.
If that's your premise, then we should blame the loss on the refs. If they called the obvious penalties on the helmet to helmet by Berry the play before or the grasping of the facemask by Adams, the Cards don't score.

Of course, most people are smart enough to realize that 1-2 plays over the course of a football game are not the main reasons for a win or loss. If Capers decides to stop playing soft zone and blitzing Warner in the 2nd quarter, the game is completely different. The defense is where the focus of the game's ire should be - not a bad throw by Rodgers (where he was under pressure).

Last edited by Arles : 01-12-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #526
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post

I want spot of foul pass interference calls to be reviewable under the same review process(2 challenges per team). If a team got nickle and dimed on a 40 yard PI, I think their coach should be able to challenge the call if he feels it is not correct.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #527
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I want spot of foul pass interference calls to be reviewable under the same review process(2 challenges per team). If a team got nickle and dimed on a 40 yard PI, I think their coach should be able to challenge the call if he feels it is not correct.
I think that's a real good idea. I'd also maybe throw in roughing the passer and helmet to helmet hits that can turn a stagnant drive around. Hate seeing a team bailed out on a 3rd and 15 because of a bad roughing call.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #528
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Nobody, they got beat, that's that.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #529
Kodos
Resident Alien

Believe it or not, just watched the Cards game tonight after successfully avoiding the results for 2 days. What a crazy game. Glad to see the Cards advance.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:02 AM   #530
RainMaker
General Manager

Well we were talking about Philly fans earlier.

Woman Wearing Cowboys' Tony Romo Shirt Assaulted
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:50 AM   #531
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Well we were talking about Philly fans earlier.

Woman Wearing Cowboys' Tony Romo Shirt Assaulted

Allentown is to Philadelphia what Syracuse is to New York City.

In other words, this would is similar to claiming Chicago fans as crazy because a Green Bay fan was assulted in Peoria.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #532
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post

In other words, this would is similar to claiming Chicago fans as crazy because a Green Bay fan was assulted in Peoria.

Geography is fail for some people.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #533
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
That is pretty steep for not being a fan of either team, but it will probably be a really fun atmosphere and an entertaining game.

Turns out he just wants company and doesn't want to sell the tickets. I'm psyched for the game tomorrow. I was at 1 playoff game when I was younger, but it was hard to see the game as they were really crappy seats. Now, I'll be sitting around the 45 tomorrow and am looking forward to the atmosphere at the Superdome even though I'll mainly be rooting for Reggie to score and Ellis to get a sack (and for an entertaining game.)
Old 01-15-2010, 02:15 PM   #534
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Turns out he just wants company and doesn't want to sell the tickets. I'm psyched for the game tomorrow. I was at 1 playoff game when I was younger, but it was hard to see the game as they were really crappy seats. Now, I'll be sitting around the 45 tomorrow and am looking forward to the atmosphere at the Superdome even though I'll mainly be rooting for Reggie to score and Ellis to get a sack (and for an entertaining game.)

Awesome! Have fun!
Old 01-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #535
Kodos
Resident Alien

Root for Indiana alums Courtney Roby (kick returner) and Tracy Porter (CB). Hope it's a good game!
Old 01-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #536
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post

According to google maps, Allentown is an hour from Philly, Peoria is 3 hours from Chicago, and Syracuse is 4 hours from NYC.

I'm still not sure what you're trying to say, though. Obviously this isolated incident is not a good example of an entire community, but you seem to be willing to concede that Eagles fans in Allentown are crazy -- but that's okay, because it's not very close to Philadelphia.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #537
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
According to google maps, Allentown is an hour from Philly, Peoria is 3 hours from Chicago, and Syracuse is 4 hours from NYC.

I'm still not sure what you're trying to say, though. Obviously this isolated incident is not a good example of an entire community, but you seem to be willing to concede that Eagles fans in Allentown are crazy -- but that's okay, because it's not very close to Philadelphia.

I think he's trying to say that there are some dirty, dirty people in Allentown, which from the limited time I've spent there for work, is true.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #538
cuervo72
Head Coach

Having grown up in a Philly suburb, I have to say that Allentown was considered pretty remote. Yes, folks there are likely to be Eagles fans, but they are not Philadelphians any more than someone from York would be.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #539
path12
Coordinator

Great. Now I'll have Billy Joel stuck in my head all day.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #540
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post

This is not a "geography" thing as much as a "culture" thing. Philadelphia's culture to Allentown is what New York culture is to Syracuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Having grown up in a Philly suburb, I have to say that Allentown was considered pretty remote. Yes, folks there are likely to be Eagles fans, but they are not Philadelphians any more than someone from York would be.

Bingo.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #541
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Have fun! Should be a great game.

I will be at the smells like a dirty sock dome on Sunday.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote