Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-14-2005, 10:09 AM   #201
heybrad
Norm!!!

I played for about 3 hours yesterday, going through the tutorial and then the Campaign. I'm enjoying it so far. I've hovered around being the 3rd ranked studio, although most of my movies reside at the bottom of the charts. I'm more of a movie factory at this point, just pumping them out.

I did get the Big Cheese award and I have a director that has moved into the Top 5 talent (Hannah Berry).

I'm hoping to get more creative tonight.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:46 AM   #202
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I might restart my game... I'm only into 1936 and all it seems I'm doing is trying to de-stress my stars...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:09 AM   #203
Critch
lolzcat

It might be a bit quick for a final decision, but after 15 years (game time, obviously) I am distinctly underwhelmed.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:21 PM   #204
cody8200
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
It might be a bit quick for a final decision, but after 15 years (game time, obviously) I am distinctly underwhelmed.

It gets a lot better once you have technology and can do more. I would suggest trying to hang in there or using the cheat from page 4 to unlock everything.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:16 PM   #205
Critch
lolzcat

I've got into the mid-30's, so the technologies are coming thick and fast now, maybe even too fast. I'm finding it hard keeping up with all the packs that become available.

Some nice things, it can be fun to watch at times, but I feel like I'm just churning out movie after movie, all the same standard, all being ok reviewed (although all mentioning how boring my star is as her novelty has worn off, anything I can do to get that back?) and dealing with my alcoholic director who likes to dress up as a cowboy. I'm going to either carry on or restart tonight and see how it goes.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:45 PM   #206
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
(although all mentioning how boring my star is as her novelty has worn off, anything I can do to get that back?)

I used to get this for my #1 star. I used to always put him in comedies, though. I started mixing it up, putting him in romances and even a sci-fi flick. The sci-fi flick actually debuted at #2, even though he had no exp. with sci-fi films. He stopped getting the novelty has worn off review, but since films took longer to film and I started "rotating him out", he was being seen less and that might have helped as well.

Now that I got the hang of the game, I plan on starting over soon. Also, for those having trouble keeping their stars and actors in check, the vertical bar you see on their attribute for various things is their threshold, in case you didn't know. Try to make you big stars out of people who have that bar to the left. That indicates a higher tolerance for that attribute (stress, etc.).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:58 PM   #207
Critch
lolzcat

I'd tried flicking my star into a few different roles to see what happens, the reviews still complain but the novelty rating is slowly starting to sneak back up again.

So the plan is now to restart, maybe try for two "teams" of 1 director/1 star/2 crew members and rotate them, try to split the genres between them so that each "team" has expertise on a couple of genres but I get less of the reviews complaining about the same genre over and over from the studio. My first attempt (20th Century Gopher) churned out horror and not a lot else.

Have to see if it grabs me more now that I'll have more idea what I'm doing.

Last edited by Critch : 11-14-2005 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:25 PM   #208
sabotai
General Manager

The horror might have been the problem as well. I noticed that horror movies don't have a lot of demand in the early game (When you drag a screenwriter to the script writing building, you can see what the demand is for each genre). But I don't know if the demand is the same in every game, though.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:43 PM   #209
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
The horror might have been the problem as well. I noticed that horror movies don't have a lot of demand in the early game (When you drag a screenwriter to the script writing building, you can see what the demand is for each genre). But I don't know if the demand is the same in every game, though.

In my game Horror seemed about level with everything else until sci-fi got a boost in the late 1920's, then comedy at the start of the 30's. Wasn't really a problem with profits, they were rolling in. Just that both my star and director had high starting ranking for horror, so that's what I made.

One other thing I read was that it's best to make a set, use it in 2 movies (3 at the most) then demolish it. That's also different from what I was doing in my first game, then I built and left the set using it over and over. Have to see how that works out in the new game.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:46 PM   #210
gkb
High School Varsity

I played through until 2005, but failed to unlock the last two items from the awards ceremony. I plan on starting again. I really struggled with getting my stars and studio to 5 stars, but getting a 5 star movie seemed relatively straightforward after I unlocked the highest level scripting office.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:52 PM   #211
sabotai
General Manager

Yeah, one of the mistakes I made in my first run is that I would just build new sets as they came, not demolishing the old ones. I think that hurt my studio ranking because it strained the builders to keep them repaired and my writers kept using the one ones that had run out of novelty rating.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:02 PM   #212
Airhog
Captain Obvious

from what I have read, novelty rating does regenerate after a few years of minimal use.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:03 PM   #213
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
from what I have read, novelty rating does regenerate after a few years of minimal use.

I guess as ong as you keep rotating the sets use around, it won't be a problem. Shouldn't be hard at all to edit each script that's pumped out to change a set or two if they start getting overused.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:05 PM   #214
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I started a sandbox game from the 1930's. A few things definately need changed to make this mode worth playing.

1. All of the bonus items you get from completing levels in the single player mode are available from the start. Makes it insanely easy to pump out 2.5 star scripts. I have played about 7 years, and made five movies. They are rated #1 through #5. It would be much better to have added those to research.

2. My biggest gripe is that there is not any award shows in sandbox mode. Now the 1st suggestion might have been difficult to implement, but why in the world would they remove the award shows from the sandbox mode?

3. Without having to manage the stars ratings, the challenge is minimal at best. I think that's the only part of the game that has any challenge.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:49 PM   #215
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Well, if it's a sandbox mode, I would expect no real competition or difficulty. You're just "having fun" without constraints. The sky's the limit, as they say. I know games like Railroad Tycoon came with sandbox modes where you could do anything you wanted without worrying about driving your company into the ground because it allowed you to build a railroad system exactly as you'd like it to be, not what you needed it to be. I imagine this is the same way.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:01 PM   #216
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
Well, if it's a sandbox mode, I would expect no real competition or difficulty. You're just "having fun" without constraints. The sky's the limit, as they say. I know games like Railroad Tycoon came with sandbox modes where you could do anything you wanted without worrying about driving your company into the ground because it allowed you to build a railroad system exactly as you'd like it to be, not what you needed it to be. I imagine this is the same way.

Yeah, I use Sandbox with all the easy stuff checked and max starting money to make my own custom movies.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 11:45 PM   #217
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

I'm mixed on the game so far.

The stars having issues gets old after a while. I can see your top star or so having tantrums but even my 37th ranked star? They would be happy to just have a damn job.

I would have liked some serendipity in the quality of the movies. IOW, would've been nice to crank out a crappy cheap flick and have it go on to gross tons (ala Blair Witch).

As it stands, you pretty much know exactly what the movie is going to do give or take a few fractions of a star.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:39 AM   #218
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack

On some levels I do agree. BUt why even have the other studios in sandbox mode? What is the point of that? Why remove features from the sandbox mode that are in the regular game mode? It just doesnt make much sense.

Old 11-16-2005, 09:11 AM   #219
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Hmm...a fair point. Since I don't have the game, I couldn't give you an answer to that. A true sandbox for a game like this should essentially be something where you just didn't worry about competitors, year, or anything. You just made movies. Pick your stars, write your script, shoot it, release it to the website for public feedback.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 11-16-2005 at 09:11 AM.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:02 AM   #220
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

That's what I was hoping for in sandbox mode. The way it is, if I want to use the same star over and over, I'm going to have to make alot of saves to retain

Star A - Sci Fi lot 2000
Star A - Sci Fi lot 2005
Star A - Action lot 2000
Star A - Action lot 2005

That way.. if I want to make a few movies with my star, I can go back.. Part of what I want to do is make multiple movies with the same star but, not have them age in game time.

Unless I'm missing something where I don't need to do this... Although, I guess I could save the base lot for each genre (can't do ALL the sets on your lot.. not enough space) and import them each time...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 11-16-2005, 04:51 PM   #221
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I dont know about you mustang, but I can easily fit every lot onto my set

Old 11-20-2005, 07:03 AM   #222
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Maybe I've missed something along the way, but is there a way I can add my own music into this game for my movies? I would really like to do that but I can't seem to figure out how if somebody knows would you care to explain or point me in the direction I need to go to find out how?

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:30 AM   #223
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

post production, I think. The game uses ogg sound however.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:49 AM   #224
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Ah, is there a program I need to download somewhere to convert files to ogg?

Thanks again.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:24 AM   #225
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Just got the game from my brother for my birthday. I believe the manual said you could use .wav files not exceeding 40 seconds in length for music but they had to be in the right folder.

I like the game so far (I'm in 1940) and the first three and a half hours just blew by. I just can't figure out how to demolish the sets since my studio lot looks very patchwork.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:23 AM   #226
ShovelMonkey
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
Just got the game from my brother for my birthday. I believe the manual said you could use .wav files not exceeding 40 seconds in length for music but they had to be in the right folder.

I like the game so far (I'm in 1940) and the first three and a half hours just blew by. I just can't figure out how to demolish the sets since my studio lot looks very patchwork.

Pick up one of your builders and hold it over the building you want to demolish. Several icons will appear around the building, one of which looks like a hand grenade or bomb. BOOM!
Old 11-28-2005, 09:40 AM   #227
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Ah, many thanks.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:51 AM   #228
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

For the bargin hunters out there, this game is $12.90 at Gogamer.com:

http://www.gogamer.com/The-Movies--I...VVviewprod.htm
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:12 AM   #229
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I bought the expansion pack months ago, but I never got around to opening it (how many games have I said that about lately?). For some reason, I've been itching to play The Movies again, but I haven't had time.

For $12.90, I think it's a good deal. The game isn't everything that I'd hoped it would be, but I had fun with it. I hope to have more fun with it when I finally get around to playing again.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:56 AM   #230
Logan
Head Coach

Damn it...I thought he returned.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:18 AM   #231
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hmm...if I can't find anything cheaper, this might be a good one to pick up to get my $.01 CoV copy at EB/Gamespot.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #232
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Anybody have the The Movies: Stunts & Effects Expansion Pack and is willing to sell it? I'm looking for it on Amazon and Ebay but I see MAC only.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #233
JediKooter
Coordinator

Buy a Mac!! WELCOME TO HOLLYWOOD!!!!

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:11 PM   #234
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Anybody have the The Movies: Stunts & Effects Expansion Pack and is willing to sell it? I'm looking for it on Amazon and Ebay but I see MAC only.

Ebay has a few PC ones listed so, not sure what you are using for search terms. Try movies stunts effects and a few will pop up.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #235
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I only saw 1 on ebay and it would cost me min $15 +$19 for shipping. I was looking for it a little cheaper than that

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 12-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #236
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Thought it might be on Steam or Direct2Drive, but I can't find it.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #237
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I did check those sites as well.

I've been messing around with the original for the past couple nights... gets pretty tedious but I now want to see how the expansion is. Can't believe how hard it is to find.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 12-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #238
Swaggs
Coordinator

If you haven't already, you might try Target or Walmart to see if they have it for $9.99 or so. Or see if there is a bundle pack available at a discount price, considering how old the game is.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #239
sabotai
General Manager

I know it used to be on Steam so I checked the forums and apparently they stopped selling it. Can't find a reason for it, but also saw a post that said it was removed from Direct2Drive as well. So, Activision must have pulled it from the download sites for some reason.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #240
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Buy a Mac!! WELCOME TO HOLLYWOOD!!!!

Totally wrong game, you idiot.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #241
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I saw the game available in the Office Depot bargain bin the other day. 10-15 copies of the game priced at $10.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-08-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #242
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I called my local Gamestop and they didn't have it but a store in Columbus does/did. They put me on hold and called to C-bus store - they are shipping it to my local branch for me to pick up... kudos to Gamestop

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders