JeeberD
General Manager

Hooray for Bob!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:59 PM   #52
Galaril
Pro Starter

On a side note related to the NFL HOF. I was watching the Missing Rings series on the NFL Network and was surprised to here that Jim Marshall was not in the HOF.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:59 PM   #53
headtrauma
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Hooray for Bob!

I was happy to hear this. Too bad it came seven years too late.
headtrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:14 AM   #54
oykib
College Starter

I've campaigned for Bob Hayes in threads like these for years. I alays thought he had a better case than Art Monk, for instance.

But

Art Monk
Bob Hayes

Cris Carter

Somebody explain that to me.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #55
Danny
Head Coach

Apparently HoF doesn't like touchdowns because all Chris Carter does is catch touchdowns.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:20 PM   #56
hoopsguy
General Manager

Well, the Hall must not like receptions either since he had over 1,000 of those.

Seriously, I'm stunned that Carter is not in the Hall at this point. I've got no particular bias with this candidate, but I can not fathom how his numbers can be overlooked twice and likely a 3rd time next year when Rie is on the ballot with him.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:26 PM   #57
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Uh, why would you want a bad father around his kids MORE?

Depends. Was he a bad father, who wasn't around for his kids, or was he a bad father BECAUSE he wasn't around for his kids?

Context.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #58
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Well, the Hall must not like receptions either since he had over 1,000 of those.

Seriously, I'm stunned that Carter is not in the Hall at this point. I've got no particular bias with this candidate, but I can not fathom how his numbers can be overlooked twice and likely a 3rd time next year when Rie is on the ballot with him.

I agree, I was just using Chris Berman's line about Carter to be sarcastic.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:59 AM   #59
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I sort of agree, but I think the major problem is simpler. They don't have a high profile champion in the room. From everything I've head the guys that get in have a strong, powerful advocate lobbying for them.

And others get kept out by a high profile anti-champion, re: Peter King v. Art Monk. Kept him out for a number of years.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #60
miami_fan
Coordinator

Interesting comments from Peter King on Tagliabue's bid for the HOF.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...perbowl/3.html

Quote:
The opposition to Paul Tagliabue for entry to the Pro Football Hall of Fame might be so formidable that he'll never get in.

The way the Hall of Fame system works, local voters advance the causes of players and coaches and administrators from their towns. On league people, one of the at-large voters is chosen to present the case for entry. The Hall asked me to present Tagliabue three years ago, and I've done so for three fruitless meetings. And so a buddy of mine on the Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee came up to me in the press box last night and said: "Next year, when it's time for you to present Tagliabue, you should say two words: 'No mas.' ''

He's got a point. The first year I was stunned at the vehement opposition to Tagliabue in the room. I'm not stunned anymore. I might be wrong, but I do believe the opposition to Tagliabue is getting more intense, not less. If there's any sort of job action in 2011, which is possible, I think Tagliabue's election will be something close to the impossible dream.

As I write this, early this morning, I've had time to reflect on the events of the six-hour, 45-minute marathon meeting we had to elect the class of 2009. Precisely one hour was spent on Tagliabue. I cannot write about what specifically was discussed in the room because we are forbidden from doing so by bylaws of the Hall. But I can say that I sense opposition based on the two major issues: that the CBA deal Tagliabue helped broker in 2006 may, five years after the fact, result in a strike and that new stadium and new franchise efforts in California failed in his tenure.

I've stated my position often on Tagliabue. He's the only modern major sports czar to lord over a game since 1980 and never have a strike during his tenure; Pete Rozelle had three strikes in his last 17 years, Tagliabue none in his 17. He got the first serious drug-testing and steroid-testing policies written into the CBA. He founded the Diversity Committee when the league couldn't get a black coach hired; under Dan Rooney's direction, the committee made major strides, and 13 franchise in Tagliabue's reign hired minority coaches. The game enjoyed unparalleled success in his reign.

As for the current labor deal, I'm sure he urged the passage of the deal, as any commissioner would. Was it a going-away gift by the owners, who voted 30-2 to adopt the deal on the eve of Tagliabue's retirement? Maybe. But is partial blame for one strike in a 22-year span worth keeping him out of the Hall, when every commissioner who has served more than 10 years already has gained entry?

I think it's time for the Hall to find a new Tagliabue presenter. I'm 0-3. It's a bottom-line business, and I deserve to be fired -- even though that might be like firing Marvin Lewis. If the Bengals do it, that's not going to solve the deeper issues.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #61
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post

Cris Carter is not eligible for the HOF until the year AFTER Jerry Rice is inducted.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #62
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting article about Derrick Thomas selection. Sounds like three older voters who refused to ever vote for Thomas retired from the board. The new voters apparantly voted for Derrick........

Change on Hall panel helps Derrick Thomas get in - Kansas City Star
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:36 AM   #63
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

They've started some early coverage of the HOF induction here in KC. Great memories from his former teammates about Derrick's 7 sack performance.........and the 8th one that got away.

Derrick Thomas’ day of days: Nov. 11, 1990 - Kansas City Star
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote