Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-02-2008, 11:45 AM   #201
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think the whole concept of when you lost is a joke. Florida and USC lost to FAR inferior opponents, including Florida losing at home ( i think). UT lost on the road to an undefeaded team in their conference on a last second TD. IMO they should be ranked right behind the 3 undefeated teams.

How can UT be ranked behind OK who they beat head to head?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:49 AM   #202
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That's also exactly where they had to fall to ... unless voters wanted to leave a team that just lost in front of someone who didn't.

They aren't going to be ranked ahead of the three unbeatens above them now, Oklahoma, Florida & USC all embarrassed opponents (albeit of varying quality).
There wasn't anywhere higher they were going to rank this week.

At risk of attracting the homer label, there is precedent for teams to not drop below teams that won that week.

If you go by the school of thought that you rank the teams with the same amount of losses by the "harshness" of the loss, then a case can easily be made for Texas that they are the one loss team with the "best" loss. Oklahoma lost to Texas, Florida lost to Ole Miss, USC lost to Oregon State, and Texas lost to a now undefeated Texas Tech on a play with one second to go.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:01 PM   #203
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
How can UT be ranked behind OK who they beat head to head?

Are you ranking them on the sum total of the season or where you believe they are today?

After seeing Texas for the past two weeks, I'm not convinced they're actually better than OU right now. Play 10 straight weeks & Texas might win 6 (or even 7) out of 10 ... but play next Saturday, I see it as a toss up.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #204
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Are you ranking them on the sum total of the season or where you believe they are today?

After seeing Texas for the past two weeks, I'm not convinced they're actually better than OU right now. Play 10 straight weeks & Texas might win 6 (or even 7) out of 10 ... but play next Saturday, I see it as a toss up.

Exactly. People tend to rank on different things, and some like JIMG (and myself), don't think head to head means everything (it's important, but not the be all end all).
Old 11-02-2008, 12:58 PM   #205
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
oddly enough Rutgers may hold this distinction.

I can think of at least 7 RU fans on the board, inclund one who works for the team.

No shit, how'd I miss that? Who?

Also I agree with those that say it's no surprise to see where Texas dropped. The polls have always shown that it is MUCH better to lose early than lose late.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:19 PM   #206
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
No shit, how'd I miss that? Who?

Not sure if he would be comfortable with me saying. He has posted about it before but it's his buisness, he is also one of my best friends in the real world, so I wouldn't want to say anything he wouldnt want me to.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #207
sooner333
College Starter

OU's offense is better than Texas' is. Their defense is worse, however, but OU can score with anybody--35 is their lowest output of the season, twice (to top 15 TCU and top 10 Texas, who have lost a combined two this year, one to OU).

I can see the argument for keeping Texas higher than OU for sure, though. They won head to head and have a win over a higher ranked team than OU does in addition (OSU higher ranked than TCU, although OU beat TCU a lot worse). However, I do think that OU plays Texas ten times and they probably win six.

I do hope that if OU can beat Texas Tech and Oklahoma State, that the voters will reward the Sooners like they did against Florida. With Texas Tech moving up, Florida had the perfect storm to allow voters the freedom to kind of do whatever they wanted with Oklahoma (because Tech was going to pass them anyway). I hope that if OU can get a win at home vs. 2/3 (if Tech wins this weekend), they will get some bonus points.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:34 PM   #208
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'd be more afraid to play Florida, but I think Texas has the "best" loss and best wins of the 1-loss teams.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #209
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
It is amazing to me to see how far the two major schools in Washington have fallen.
I wasn't a fan of hiring Ty, but I didn't expect it to get this bad. He didn't recruit well, both in terms of the quality of his recruits as well managing his roster and class distribution, and he did an even worse job developing the talent he got. Combine that with bad in-game management and real questionable play-calling on both sides of the ball, and you get the 0-8 mess that you see today.

WSU misses Mike Price in a big way. Doba didn't do nearly as good a job at finding diamonds in the rough and developing them, and there were some serious discipline issues that took hold in that program as well.

It's too soon to judge Paul Wulff - he inherited a mess. But the Cougars are as bad a team as I've ever seen in the Pac-10, and that includes a lot of terrible Oregon State teams in the late '70's and early '80's, as well as an awful Stanford team in '06.

As bad as the UW has fallen this year, they should beat WSU. But given that Ty is the coach, that's in serious doubt...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:43 PM   #210
Buccaneer
Head Coach

My son anticipates the AP poll every Sunday and he pours through it with Mrs Bucc and me. He remarked how impressive it is to see five Texas-Oklahoma schools in the top 11.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:56 PM   #211
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The computers still like the 'Horns. They are #4 in this week's BCS standings. Texas Tech jumped up to #2, while Bama takes over the #1 spot.

1. Alabama 0.974
2. Texas Tech 0.937
3. Penn State 0.928
4. Texas 0.853
5. Florida 0.826
6. Oklahoma 0.822
7. Southern Cal 0.755
8. Utah 0.697
9. Oklahoma St. 0.666
10. Boise St. 0.699
Old 11-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #212
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

computers > people this week
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #213
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The computers still like the 'Horns. They are #4 in this week's BCS standings. Texas Tech jumped up to #2, while Bama takes over the #1 spot.

Yep, the problem is that Texas' schedule is finished doing them favors, I think. I haven't seen any breakdowns, but I think if there's a 3-way tie in the Big 12 south, Texas probably gets left out of the Big 12 Championship game.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:43 PM   #214
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
Yep, the problem is that Texas' schedule is finished doing them favors, I think. I haven't seen any breakdowns, but I think if there's a 3-way tie in the Big 12 south, Texas probably gets left out of the Big 12 Championship game.

I think the big factor to the computers will be SOS between the tied teams, especially since it will most likely be an A beat B, B beat C, C beat A scenario. In that case, one of the BCS trackers I watch, Bowl Championship Series Ratings, has projected the Top 4 of the Big 12 South to end up like this for SOS:

2. Texas
11. Oklahoma
35. Oklahoma State
41. Texas Tech

If that ends up being the case, OU is in kind of a Catch-22 in regards to the computers. They have to keep winning, of course, as does Texas. But the OU wins seem to only help to improve Texas' standing in the eyes of the computers.

OU needs to cheer for Texas Tech to beat OSU, while Texas is hoping for the opposite. The easiest path to the Big 12 title for Texas is for both the Oklahoma schools to beat Tech, and have OU beat OSU. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State don't really have an easy head-to-head path. Their best hope is for a three way tie and pray for a good BCS score. Tech of course controls their own destiny.

Last edited by cartman : 11-02-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:43 PM   #215
sooner333
College Starter

Oklahoma will have their schedule improve by playing Tech...the only way it probably matters (assuming Texas wins out) is if Tech beats OSU, so it would be an undefeated Tech team and a two-loss OSU team (plus A&M remaining). That's looking good. If TCU can beat Utah this week, OU would have beaten two teams where their only loss was to OU. If Cincinnati can win out, that would be pretty good as well (two losses, only one to OU).

Texas could take it, but I think a lot will depend on the human polls...it could end up being too close to call between the two in computers. Right now it's advantage Texas in the Harris...advantage OU in the coaches poll.

Of course, if OSU beats Tech, Oklahoma's chance for the Big 12 goes out the window, but at least the chance at an automatic bid for the BCS as an at-large goes up. There's still quite a bit to play for for all of the Big 12 South teams and it's a shame there's only two spots on the main stage. Assuming the Big 12 North team loses in the championship game, it looks like their consolation will be the Gator (if they take a Big 12 team) or Alamo Bowl (if the Gator takes Notre Dame).
Old 11-02-2008, 10:18 PM   #216
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

For all intents and purposes, the Oklahoma State - Texas Tech game is a Big XII south elimination game for Texas and Oklahoma. If Texas Tech wins, Texas is eliminated; if Oklahoma State wins, Oklahoma is eliminated.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:34 PM   #217
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
For all intents and purposes, the Oklahoma State - Texas Tech game is a Big XII south elimination game for Texas and Oklahoma. If Texas Tech wins, Texas is eliminated; if Oklahoma State wins, Oklahoma is eliminated.

I disagree, especially considering Texas is currently ahead of Oklahoma in the BCS. If Tech beats OSU and loses to OU, there's still a chance Texas is ahead of OU. But yes, if OSU wins Oklahoma is out unless Texas loses again (which could happen, I guess, but doubtful).
Old 11-02-2008, 11:51 PM   #218
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
I disagree, especially considering Texas is currently ahead of Oklahoma in the BCS. If Tech beats OSU and loses to OU, there's still a chance Texas is ahead of OU. But yes, if OSU wins Oklahoma is out unless Texas loses again (which could happen, I guess, but doubtful).

It is very unlikely that Texas would be ahead of OU in the BCS standings if Texas Tech beats Oklahoma State, then OU beats Texas Tech and Oklahoma State. The human voters already have OU ahead of Texas, and the margin would most certainly increase.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:53 PM   #219
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I find it interesting that 3 non BCS schools are currently in the top 12, including a 1 loss TCU team (I know who their only loss was to). I wonder if this is the year a 1 loss team from a non BCS school goes to a BCS game.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:20 AM   #220
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
I find it interesting that 3 non BCS schools are currently in the top 12, including a 1 loss TCU team (I know who their only loss was to). I wonder if this is the year a 1 loss team from a non BCS school goes to a BCS game.

TCU has to beat Utah, but it could certainly happen. It could also be the year that two non-BCS teams get in because they are the only teams left eligible.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:57 AM   #221
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
But whoever lost to the North team in the title game would no longer be ranked 1 or 2 - like Missouri last year.

The idea was brought up before Texas blew it, but either way its not supposed to say its going to happen. Just an interesting rule quirk in which the champion of a BCS conference wouldnt be in the BCS.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:56 AM   #222
clemsonfan
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
On an unrelateed note, Clemson comes out, and Spiller looks better than he has all season only to try and give the game away late. CJ put the team on his shoulders single handedly and refused to lose....its nice to beat BC for a change.

Amen!
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote