Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-28-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
College Football Week 10 thread

There were a couple of games tonight to kick off the week. Buffalo beat Ohio 32-19 and Marshall beat Houston 37-23.

There was a pretty gruesome injury in the Marshall-Houston game. One of the Houston wide receivers was going for a pass in the corner of the end zone, and ran full speed into a cart that behind the end zone. Tt snapped his lower leg in two. Very painful to watch.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 10-28-2008 at 11:20 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
Cuckoo
College Starter

Go Tech!
Old 10-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
Go Tech!

I'm pulling for Georgia Tech to beat Florida State as well!

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

EPSN generates some feedback traffic with a story about how the schools (public) here in Clarke County, GA are closed because of the UGA-FL game this weekend.
ESPN - School canceled due to Georgia Bulldogs-Florida Gators game

Here's the original article in the Athens paper which has more detail (and another batch of highly entertaining reader feedback).

What's interesting about the article are the things that are missing
-- This isn't anything new. It's the 4th time in the past 5 years that the Friday before The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party has been a school holiday
-- There's no class time missed, it's simply a day off in the calendar like any other, and the students still attend for the required 180 days.
-- The day off is taken as the local system's "Fall Break" which has become commonplace at least in Georgia. A neighboring county took all of last week off for example.
-- Most importantly perhaps, today is also a Fall Break holiday for the University itself. Because the university is the area's largest employer, the county schools often try to match their calendar to the university's as much as possible, as do quite a few of the numerous private schools in the area.

Do I think arranging calendars around a football game is silly? You're damned right I do. And Lord knows I'm not going to defend much about the county schools here, they're a sad state of affairs. But ripping them for this particular decision without at least mentioning all of the factors that go into it seems pretty shoddy too.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
Huckleberry
College Starter

Agreed, but I don't think it's silly because of the explanation given by the last guy in the article. The school district is doing the right thing. If you know for a fact that you will be understaffed on a certain day every year then you know that many of the children you are trying to serve will be underserved on that day. Insisting on having school open that day is the wrong thing to do. As you said, the day will be made up somewhere else at a time when staff resources are at normal availability.

So it's absolutely the right thing to do. It would be like opening school for the day after Thanksgiving. You're not going to have enough teachers and staff to run the schools properly. So don't open that day.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Honestly it doesn't seem like a big deal to me either. If the kids are going to school 180 days, then what's it matter?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:12 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Agreed, but I don't think it's silly because of the explanation given by the last guy in the article.

While it's a logical reason, I have to admit that I've never even heard that reason used before this year and that it probably wasn't much more than an attempt to say something other than "we just follow the university's lead".

This was briefly controversial several years ago when (my across the street neighbor) UGA President Adams started the whole "don't call it a cocktail party" fiasco. Around that same time he was angling to move the college holiday away from the game weekend and was pretty much told by students & faculty alike that he could do what he wanted but if he had school that Friday he'd be pretty lonely.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Does anyone know why the announcers arent allowed to pick a winner in the pre game show? This seems like a relativly new rule.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
Buccaneer
Head Coach

On cbssportsline, they're leading with this tidbit

Quote:
The SEC East is up for grabs. BCS hopes, too. And there's the move from last year nobody discusses.

There is no article, just a video (which is rare for them to do since it is not @%!$# espn.com). Can anyone tell me what the move from last year nobody discusses?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:16 AM   #10
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

UM off to a good start against Perdue
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Can anyone tell me what the move from last year nobody discusses?

Presumably that would be the pre-planned end zone celebration by Georgia.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #12
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
There is no article, just a video (which is rare for them to do since it is not @%!$# espn.com). Can anyone tell me what the move from last year nobody discusses?

I'm guessing they're talking about Georgia rushing the end zone against Florida?
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #13
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Miami-Virginia in OT.

I'm going to reiterate my statement from earlier this year that Jacory is better than Marve.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:41 PM   #14
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Miami scored in OT on a beautiful Harris TD pass. Virginia breaks off a big run on the first play of their possession, but Miami strips the ball at the end and recovers.

Miami wins 24-17.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #15
Schmidty
Coordinator

What a game between State and Wisconsin.

These are NOT the same old Spartans!!!
Old 11-01-2008, 03:04 PM   #16
General Mike
Pro Starter

Pat Bostick sucks.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:05 PM   #17
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Pat Bostick sucks.

Im not impressed with Jimmy Clausen either.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:15 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

GT leading FSU 24-20 at the half.
Florida leading UGAg 14-3 at the half.

And I have far less joy than a sense of dread & worry about both games
Old 11-01-2008, 04:20 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Also gotta give a shout out to #2 Appy State for their 70-24 win over #3 Wofford last night.

And thanks to Miami, for rallying to beat UVa 24-17 in OT. In the wacky ACC standings every little bit helps (as long as GT holds off FSU today).
Old 11-01-2008, 04:33 PM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Yo Shawty, that's Jonathan Dwyer. 66 yd TD run (thanks to a missed assignment by the S) puts GT up 31-20.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:33 PM   #21
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Wabash got a 60-7 win over Oberlin and guaranteed at least a share of the conference title. Now we're playing for a #1 seed in the D3 tourny. We're currently ranked #3 on D3football, so two more wins should get us there.

I saw something I've never seen before today. Our kicker hit the upright on three different PATs. One went in, but two bounced out.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:39 PM   #22
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

You can beat teams. You can't beat the refs.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

You have a better chance if you avoid red zone INT's.

Banner-Herald blog is tearing OC Mike "BooBoo" Bobo a new one incidentally.
I suspect SD would concur with them.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-01-2008 at 04:45 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:50 PM   #24
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You have a better chance if you avoid red zone INT's.

Banner-Herald blog is tearing OC Mike "BooBoo" Bobo a new one incidentally.
I suspect SD would concur with them.

Wouldn't have been an interception without the uncalled pass interference. This game has just been insane. There is no way that many penalties in critical places can be ignored unless something is going on. Just plain stupid.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #25
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
What a game between State and Wisconsin.

These are NOT the same old Spartans!!!

I was looking at the game via ESPN's scoreboard and came back, saw the final, and went, "What the hell?" Wisconsin has to be hating the state of Michigan right now. Props to them for winning, I'm just still unsure of how good they are though. Their biggest win right now looks to be Northwestern.

Michigan blew it's best chance at a win. Last three games are against teams that are currently 21-6 combined. Oh, I want to see how certain Michigan fans want to spin this one. Winning a bowl game against the Heisman winner to suddenly being one of the worst teams in the history of the school. Yeah, I'm sure it was just the lost of all of that talent. *ahem*

Last edited by Matthean : 11-01-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:53 PM   #26
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yeah it's the refs fault they are down. Refs don't commit penalties. Maybe the ref should've covered the Fla Wr on that last TD...or recovered the onside kick for Georgia.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 11-01-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:53 PM   #27
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Missouri and Baylor are tied at 28 late in the 4th.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #28
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Florida State's defensive staff should be ashamed.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #29
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Yeah it's the refs fault they are down. Refs don't commit penalties. Maybe the ref should've covered the Fla Wr on that last TD...or recovered the onside kick for Georgia.

The last TD was again missed pass interference call. It is so blantant, and yet some how the ref can't see the defenders shirt getting pulled down. You have just got to be kidding me.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:57 PM   #30
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Missouri and Baylor are tied at 28 late in the 4th.

Has anyone heard from MBBF?
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:57 PM   #31
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The last TD was again missed pass interference call. It is so blantant, and yet some how the ref can't see the defenders shirt getting pulled down. You have just got to be kidding me.

You are down 28-3 and bitching that the refs are losing the game for you? Have your kicker make some field goals.

I love people like you who watch the game on your chair...get the best view of the game. Go on the field level and watch a game. Make the split second calls and then you tell me how easy it is.

Blowing a call using instant replay is no excuse...screwing up a rules interpretation is no excuse...but judgment calls are all based on positioning and getting a good view you can't call something you don't see. They don't have X-ray vision to see through players and a lot of the times that is what happens.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 11-01-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #32
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

GT still leading 31-20 but Nesbitt is out (ankle) and Shaw doesn't look very good today. About to start the 4th quarter.

Memo to CMR: How's that end zone rush working out for you now?
Old 11-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #33
GrantDawg

Quote:
You are down 28-3 and bitching that the refs are losing the game for you? Have your kicker make some field goals.

That is the third TD given to the Gators by the refs. Take the 14 point possible change on the interception, then yeah, I am blaming the refs. I'm not someone who will normally complain about this crap, but you can give them one bad call, but you can't beat a team when you stop them over and over again, and the refs give them the freakin game.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:02 PM   #34
grdawg
Mascot

Quote:

I love people like you who watch the game on your chair...get the best view of the game. Go on the field level and watch a game. Make the split second calls and then you tell me how easy it is.

I rarely post, but I will respond to this. I am a UGA alumn and diehard fan, so you will same I am biased, but come on, those are easy calls to make and they are not being made. The spot on Teabow in the first half was obvious. The refs had a chance to look at the replay a million times so that was not a split second call.
grdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:02 PM   #35
Swaggs
Coordinator

Pitt and Notre Dame are headed to overtime.

If Pitt had anything resembling a quarterback on their roster, they would be a pretty solid team.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:02 PM   #36
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That is the third TD given to the Gators by the refs. Take the 14 point possible change on the interception, then yeah, I am blaming the refs. I'm not someone who will normally complain about this crap, but you can give them one bad call, but you can't beat a team when you stop them over and over again, and the refs give them the freakin game.

You must be watching a completely different game than I am.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #37
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Pooch punt out of a FG formation pins FSU at their 1. And just missed a sack for a safety by abouthismuch.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #38
grdawg
Mascot

I will add - when there are 3 plays that result in 21 points, you cannot overcome them. Of course the pollsters will see the score and probably drop georgia down to 20.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #39
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just remember GD, blackout wear is multi-purpose. It doubles as a crying towel quite nicely.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #40
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grdawg View Post
I rarely post, but I will respond to this. I am a UGA alumn and diehard fan, so you will same I am biased, but come on, those are easy calls to make and they are not being made. The spot on Teabow in the first half was obvious. The refs had a chance to look at the replay a million times so that was not a split second call.

I said in my edit...screw-ups due to instant replay are no excuse. I saw that play and honestly how can you definitively say where the ball was. There was a Georgia player right in the way of the camera view to Tebow. You cant just say...oh well the ball SHOULD be here. You have to be able to see the ball. I might have missed the replay where they showed it from the other angle...but the only angle I saw was where Tebow was tackled and you couldn't see the upper half of the body due to the fact that a Georgia player was there.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:06 PM   #41
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Pitt and Notre Dame are headed to overtime.

If Pitt had anything resembling a quarterback on their roster, they would be a pretty solid team.

Wanny should thank McCoy for saving his butt because without him Pitt would be lucky to win 4 games.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:07 PM   #42
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Damn Florida is mutting UGA.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #43
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Play was just stopped for a minute or two in the ND - Pitt game when the field's sprinklers randomly turned on. Kinda funny.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:12 PM   #44
GrantDawg

Quote:
I said in my edit...screw-ups due to instant replay are no excuse. I saw that play and honestly how can you definitively say where the ball was. There was a Georgia player right in the way of the camera view to Tebow. You cant just say...oh well the ball SHOULD be here. You have to be able to see the ball. I might have missed the replay where they showed it from the other angle...but the only angle I saw was where Tebow was tackled and you couldn't see the upper half of the body due to the fact that a Georgia player was there.

....and the blantant hold on Curran on the same play? I don't know how you possibily can't see the spot on the replay. The pass interference on the interception? Didn't see that either. Pass interference on the TD pass? Nope, blind again. How many times can a team be screwed until they are completely demoralized? I've seen some badly called games, but this one takes the cake.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #45
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
....and the blantant hold on Curran on the same play? I don't know how you possibily can't see the spot on the replay. The pass interference on the interception? Didn't see that either. Pass interference on the TD pass? Nope, blind again. How many times can a team be screwed until they are completely demoralized? I've seen some badly called games, but this one takes the cake.

Boo.
Hoo.
Hoo.

Typical UGAg excusifying (which is normally in shorter supply here than elsewhere).

Did the refs cause the fumbles too? Or the complete inability to stop Tebow?
Or did last year's stunt by the no-class phony CMR & his little band of criminals just get paid back with interest?
Old 11-01-2008, 05:16 PM   #46
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Boo.
Hoo.
Hoo.

Typical UGAg excusifying (which is normally in shorter supply here than elsewhere).

Did the refs cause the fumbles too? Or the complete inability to stop Tebow?
Or did last year's stunt by the no-class phony CMR & his little band of criminals just get paid back with interest?

Have you ever known me not to admit when my team has gotten beat? Honestly? I'm not a crier, but this is complete crap.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #47
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Have you ever known me not to admit when my team has gotten beat? Honestly? I'm not a crier, but this is complete crap.

Normally you're not (which is why I referenced that earlier).

But this ass raping is more attributable to being outcoached, underprepared, and outexecuted than anything else. And as much/more of any of those than the officiating no matter what anybody says through 'Dog colored glasses.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #48
grdawg
Mascot

This is not typical UGA excusing. This is obvious to anyone who is watching the game, even the announcers have been pointing this stuff out. Football is all about momentum and one play can change the dynamic of the game. Georgia needed to play their best to win this game and getting on the short end of 3 huge plays determined the fate of this game. This is not homerism
Old 11-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #49
Izulde
Head Coach

Hell of a game between Tulsa and Arkansas.

We came out on top 30-23, overcoming a typical Casey Dick endzone interception with 3 minutes left to give Tulsa some hope. Stopped them on 4th and 5 on our 7 yard line to secure the victory.

I will say this; the Golden Hurricane have a -really- good offense. I was somewhat skeptical of their #1 offense going into the game but I believe it now after watching them. It seemed like they ran the Wildcat or something similiar a few times, too.

Game-winning TD came as the result of a kickoff return for a TD on the very KO after the FG that tied it up 23-23.

We started off pumped up and on fire because of Homecoming, last home game of the season, etc and took a 17-0 lead before the Hurricane offense started kicking in. Two straight sacks on Tulsa's first two plays were awesome to see.

I gotta say, I'm very cautiously optimistic about the team next year. I think we can contend for a bowl game next season.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #50
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Meanwhile GT is just trying to hold on to the 31-20 lead over FSU, offense has vanished without Nesbitt and the defense is trying to hang on for dear life, 8:30 to go.