That just leads to someones OWA.

Should be fixed.

digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:32 PM   #52
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipplet from PFT
Based on reports that surfaced recently in Arizona, there’s another “thing” Singletary supposedly did on Sunday that some players might deem to be just plain “wrong.”

Per Dan Bickley of the Arizona Republic and Mike Jurecki of XTRA 910, Singletary’s halftime speech to the team included the fledgling head coach dropping his pants, showing the players his bare ass, and pointing to it, apparently as a visual aid to display Singletary’s belief that the team was getting its ass kicked. (Hey, it beats the hell out of studying film.)

According to the reports, Singletary then addressed the team for three or four minutes with his pants around his ankles.

Riiiight, maybe the guy ends up being a motivating genius but I don't see the Singletary show lasting too long.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:44 PM   #53
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I heard (seriously) that Ditka did this years ago, and that's where he got it. It's a bit crazy, but most who have played organized ball for long enough have seen something like this (if not worse) in the locker room. It's rare that anything involving locker room antics ever gets out in the media, but when it's does some people like to act surprised.

Deattribution, there's definitely some unresolved issues involving Singletary (or possibly just the Niners/Bears) there up in your noggin.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 10-30-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #54
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Deattribution, there's definitely some unresolved issues involving Singletary (or possibly just the Niners/Bears) there up in your noggin.

Why? Because I don't agree with you?

Here's another bit from that same article -

Quote:
As one league insider observed, “I just don’t think coming out that strong was the right approach. Especially with a team as untalented as the Niners are. The minute he says the wrong thing or does the wrong thing, he’s lost the locker room.”

I guess he has unresolved issues with Singletary as well, and so does Michael Wilbon (who is a chicago native, a huge bears fan and a Singletary fan) who agreed with his initial approach then later said he needs to let it go quickly before coming on too strong, and literally hundreds (probably thousands) of other people who don't agree with his approach thus far, It's about 50/50 at best. Not the 110% the only people who disagree are in this thread stuff you're trying to whine it into.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:03 PM   #55
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I heard (seriously) that Ditka did this years ago, and that's where he got it. It's a bit crazy, but most who have played organized ball for long enough have seen something like this (if not worse) in the locker room. It's rare that anything involving locker room antics ever gets out in the media, but when it's does some people like to act surprised.

It's one thing to pull these kinds of moves as head coach, but to do them all during game one of your tenure, I mean, what does he do for an encore after the bye week? I know he's not new to the team, but still, space out the shock and awe acts or they're going to lose meaning really fast.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:35 PM   #56
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Vernon Davis has been a prima donna since he showed up here. He has acted up and drawn penalties in damn near every...single...game this year, and a good majority of the games in the last two years.

Once again, someone says something that makes me wonder about perception versus reality. Let's go to the pbp logs & see what they say. I don't know the guy from Adam's housecat but I'm oddly curious.

Wk 1 vs Ari -- 3 penalties on SF, none on Davis
Wk 2 vs Sea -- 9 penalties on SF, none credited to Davis (2 unspecified)
Wk 3 vs Det -- 3 penalties on SF, none credited to Davis (1 unspecified)
Wk 4 vs NO -- 9 penalties on SF, none on Davis
Wk 5 vs NE -- 6 penalties on SF, none on Davis
Wk 6 vs Phl -- 10 penalties on SF, 2 off. holding on Davis (1 unspecified)
Wk 7 vs NYG --13 penalties on SF, none on Davis (1 unspecified)
Wk 8 vs Sea -- 7 penalties on SF, 1 unsportsmanlike on Davis

Granted the logs don't seem to account for penalties that were declined and there are a few that weren't attached to a specific player, but I was definitely expecting to find more than three penalties over 8 games.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #57
chesapeake
College Starter

I think that folks that are down on Singletary here are discounting his choice of targets.

Exhibit A is JT O'Sullivan who got benched before the half -- just after throwing an interception on their only good drive of the half that went for TD for Seattle. That was a real game changer -- at least a 10 point swing if not the full 14. O'Sullivan went into the game as the man responsible for the most turnovers in the NFL this season and he had already fumbled twice in the game and thrown that int. He belonged on the bench. Nolan should have done it already.

Exhibit B is sending Vernon Davis to the showers early. Davis was a first round pick in 2006 and has been, by most accounts, a prima donna and a disappointment. This season, he has only 16 catches in 8 games. In 5 of those games, he had either one or zero catches. He has not scored this year.

I submit to you that Singletary picked his targets wisely. Will it work? Who knows? Letting O'Sullivan and Davis continue to stink up the joint wasn't working. Maybe busting some heads will.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:59 PM   #58
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

*response to Jon *

I was stating "acting up" and "drawing penalties" as being two separate things he has been doing. If he doesn't do both in a game, he's been a near garauntee for one. I don't know how pulling stats could possibly show how a player has been a distraction. I see where you were going based on how you interpreted my post, but I wouldn't for a second think to look @ the stat logs to prove it. If you don't live in the bay area or at least follow the team on a day to day basis, there's a pretty small chance you have heard about a player who is a distraction on a bottom dweller team.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 10-30-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:22 PM   #59
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't know how pulling stats could possibly show how a player has been a distraction.

And as you figured out already, I made no claim one way or the other about whether he's a distraction. I did indeed interpret your post as being "both" of those things in nearly every game not "one or the other" of those things.

Like I said, I don't give a damn about Davis one way or the other, it was just one of those things that happens occasionally where I'm struck curious to see if the numbers matched (what I thought you were saying was your) perception.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:16 PM   #60
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Maybe this is the reason Charles Haley hasn't gotten a head coaching position.

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:52 AM   #61
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Maybe this is the reason Charles Haley hasn't gotten a head coaching position.

That'll do, Pig, that'll do.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:36 PM   #62
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
I think that folks that are down on Singletary here are discounting his choice of targets.

Exhibit A is JT O'Sullivan who got benched before the half -- just after throwing an interception on their only good drive of the half that went for TD for Seattle. That was a real game changer -- at least a 10 point swing if not the full 14. O'Sullivan went into the game as the man responsible for the most turnovers in the NFL this season and he had already fumbled twice in the game and thrown that int. He belonged on the bench. Nolan should have done it already.

Exhibit B is sending Vernon Davis to the showers early. Davis was a first round pick in 2006 and has been, by most accounts, a prima donna and a disappointment. This season, he has only 16 catches in 8 games. In 5 of those games, he had either one or zero catches. He has not scored this year.

I submit to you that Singletary picked his targets wisely. Will it work? Who knows? Letting O'Sullivan and Davis continue to stink up the joint wasn't working. Maybe busting some heads will.

Vernon Davis makes a helluva' lot of money. I wouldn't say he is an ideal target because you can't exactly cut him. JTO, sure, but to call out a guy with a top 10 pick contract? Seems stupid to me, even if he is in the wrong.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:48 PM   #63
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Vernon Davis makes a helluva' lot of money. I wouldn't say he is an ideal target because you can't exactly cut him. JTO, sure, but to call out a guy with a top 10 pick contract? Seems stupid to me, even if he is in the wrong.

I'm sort of with you and sort of not on this point. Looking up his contract, the cap hit would be substantial -- maybe about $4.5 million -- if you cut him just after the season. You could spread it out over 2 years by cutting him after July 1. $2.25 mil off the cap for 2 years isn't chump change, but it is not the end of the world in NFL terms.

As near as I know, though, Singletary hasn't threatened to cut the guy. That is speculation on our part. Kicking Davis in the butt like this, although a little unorthodox, is not a lot unorthodox. I am a little surprised that there isn't any follow-up in the SF papers on this incident. All seems quiet on the bye week.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote