Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-27-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

"I Want Winners"

It's nice to have a Head Coach with some balls in San Francisco again. Marriucci was good, but was overly obsessed with saving face. He lost numerous games because he would start running the clock out late in the 3rd/early in the 4th with only a one TD lead. He just flat out lacked finishing ability. It's like everytime he won, he wanted to win while shaking his opponents hand and paying his wife a compliment. Erickson was...well...a yes man with a headset on. The man was just "utterly forgettable" to quote Simon Cowell. Nolan was like a Marriucci without the people skills...and the winning.

"“I told him that he would do a better job for us right now taking a shower and coming back and watching the game than going out on the field"

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 10-27-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #2
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

I really like what Singletary is bringing to the table. As a Hawks fan, I'm a little concerned that he will end up a much better hire than Mora Jr.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
molson
General Manager

Didn't this guy just get blown out by one of the worst teams in football?

He's a HOF player and a motivational speaker. We don't know anything more than that yet.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:38 PM   #4
Groundhog
Coordinator

If incidents like this lead to the team having more success the players might buy in to it, but if the losing continues and he keeps reprimanding guys like this, he could lose control of the players pretty quickly.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:40 PM   #5
SunDevil
College Prospect

At the very least, I look forward to the Coors Light Commercial that is made from this press conference.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #6
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
If incidents like this lead to the team having more success the players might buy in to it, but if the losing continues and he keeps reprimanding guys like this, he could lose control of the players pretty quickly.

Exactly. You can only take that tact a few times before you lose the locker room. Once, not a bad call. We'll see where he goes from here.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Didn't this guy just get blown out by one of the worst teams in football?

He's a HOF player and a motivational speaker. We don't know anything more than that yet.

Yeah, that's my take as well. His message is definitely refreshing, but if the 49ers don't come out and play well next week, things could get rough. The message, true as it maybe, may wear thin quickly.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:57 PM   #8
Galaxy
Coordinator

He sounds like he may be a great college coach.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:51 PM   #9
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
At the very least, I look forward to the Coors Light Commercial that is made from this press conference.

"So coach, why did you throw the guys that didn't bring Coors light to your party out into the street?"

Singletary: I want winners!!!!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:05 PM   #10
AgustusM
College Prospect

Singletary sends a message | PressDemocrat.com | The Press Democrat | Santa Rosa, CA

As a lifelong 49ers fan I was a little wary of the Singletary thing at first since he had so little experience, but I must say he turned me around with his performance on Sunday.

I thought this article showed very well that there is a new sheriff in town.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:09 PM   #11
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM View Post
Singletary sends a message | PressDemocrat.com | The Press Democrat | Santa Rosa, CA

As a lifelong 49ers fan I was a little wary of the Singletary thing at first since he had so little experience, but I must say he turned me around with his performance on Sunday.

You know you're in the honeymoon period when you "turn things around" by losing by 3 TDs to a 1-5 team at home.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:25 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Plus-The fact that he definitely has Denny Green potential
Plus-He seems to want to run the rock.

Minus-I wouldn't care about this team at all, but I have Gore on my fantasy team. Hence, I'm thoroughly monitoring this situatiohn.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:51 PM   #13
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Singletary sounds an awful lot like Rod Marinelli. A position coach with no coordinating experience who had an amazing message for his team.

And now ..
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:11 AM   #14
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Singletary sounds an awful lot like Rod Marinelli. A position coach with no coordinating experience who had an amazing message for his team.

And now ..
First year coaches who were position coaches have a pretty darn good record so far this season. As a 49'ers fan who grew up in the Chicago area I am happy to see Singletary get his shot. As others have pointed out, it is definitely a fine line between pushing the team and losing it and hopefully he stays on the right side of the line.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:15 AM   #15
saldana
Pro Starter

it takes more than a week to "turn around" a team. i agree that the ranting will wear thin quickly, but if there is a single word to describe the niners while Nolan was the coach, it is "undisciplined". i have never seen so many penalties taken for stupid antics from one team as i did from the niners the past couple of weeks, so if singletary does nothing else, getting the stupidity to stop will make the team better. that and the fact that he has already benched jt osullivan make me happy about the situation
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:46 AM   #16
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
He sounds like he may be a great college coach.

He was at one time to be rumored to be going to Baylor, but I think he being a college coach is where he ultimately ends up.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:31 AM   #17
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Unfortunately, that whole less talent thing is still going to be a problem.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:46 AM   #18
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
Unfortunately, that whole less talent thing is still going to be a problem.

There's actually plenty of talent on the roster, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Problem is there's no talent at the most important position of them all, and Sullivan can't even hold on to the god damn ball, let alone throw it effectively. Plus injuries to the OL have made that problem worse.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #19
chesapeake
College Starter

Singletary is one week into his tenure with the team and he has shown his players that he will demand accountability for their performance. O'Sullivan makes an awful game-changing decision just before the half, so he gets his butt put on the bench. Good. Hill played much better.

Vernon Davis does something stupid, he gets sent to the showers. I like it. The first thing you need to do to change a team accustomed to losing is to make it clear that won't be tolerated anymore.

That said, it will be interesting to see if he or his coordinators have the locker room skills to get the team to buy into what Singletary is selling. Davis will be an interesting case in point. He is an immensely talented tight end, but hasn't been able to play with any consistency on the field. Now that the coach has publicly called him out, will Singletary be able to convert him into a believer?

Personally, I think he will if the Niner's management gives him the backing he needs to convince the team that they cannot simply wait him out.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:28 AM   #20
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

I think way too much fuss is being made about this for a guy who got stomped by a team even worse than his in his debut. Not to mention there wasn't anything he said publicly that he couldn't have told his team privately.

It's not as if he has some huge winning credentials that they're going to blindly follow him after he's the one that sold them out publicly. At least when Denny Green and Herm Edwards did it they had won some games and got to the playoffs (and you can see how that worked out ultimately for them anyway).
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #21
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

People ripping on him because he lost by several touchdowns is rediculous. The guy has been a head coach for 5 days, and he inherited a team with a multitude of different problems accross the board. A true "turnaround" for a team like this would require an entire offseason. The most he'll get from the remaining 8 games is finding out who is worth keeping for next year, and who will be riding the pine/seeking work elsewhere.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #22
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm just happy that the NFL has a coach who dares to be slightly entertaining. I am sure that after a while, he will act and talk like a corporate drone like the rest of them. But let's just enjoy a coach demonstrating real human emotion for a change.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #23
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
It's not as if he has some huge winning credentials that they're going to blindly follow him after he's the one that sold them out publicly. At least when Denny Green and Herm Edwards did it they had won some games and got to the playoffs (and you can see how that worked out ultimately for them anyway).

He is a Super Bowl champion and a Hall of Famer. Those are some nice "winning" credentials. Even with no head coaching experience, that provides some immediate credibility in the locker room. That doesn't mean that everyone, or even anyone, will listen to him. Ultimately, he'll need the backing of the organization to be able to impose his will over the team.

He's hardly the first tough guy coach. Tom Coughlin is considered to be one of the hardest of hard-ass coaches. That seems to be working for him.

Singletary is being himself. I think that is always a good first step for any coach.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:22 AM   #24
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
People ripping on him because he lost by several touchdowns is rediculous. The guy has been a head coach for 5 days, and he inherited a team with a multitude of different problems accross the board. A true "turnaround" for a team like this would require an entire offseason. The most he'll get from the remaining 8 games is finding out who is worth keeping for next year, and who will be riding the pine/seeking work elsewhere.

I think that response is just in response to those that who have already credited him to "turning the team around", and those who have anointed him as the next great coach.

Last edited by molson : 10-28-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:46 AM   #25
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
He's hardly the first tough guy coach. Tom Coughlin is considered to be one of the hardest of hard-ass coaches. That seems to be working for him.

Coughlin wore out his welcome in JAX and was close to getting fired in NY before the Giants went on their Super Bowl run.

The lesson as always is that winning coaches get to stick around.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #26
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Prediction: Singletary isn't coaching the 49ers by this time in 2011.
And will be lucky if he's coaching them at this point in 2010.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:31 AM   #27
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

I couldn't care less either way, but just for fun, I will take the other side of this one. Singletary has generated a lot of interest in the NFL as a head coaching prospect. If the team appears to be making progress after the bye week coming up, I think they will take the "interrim" label off.

Regardless, I believe that he will be a head coach somewhere in 2011, even if the Niners dump him at the end of the season. His old school style will appeal to some owner that wants to bring in someone to clean house.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:34 AM   #28
molson
General Manager

How many HOF players have been great coaches? Why is that suddenly considered some kind of qualification to be an NFL head coach?

I'm sick of him already. He comes in, shows emotion, and embarasses his players. You or I could do that. That's not talent. There's a reason other coaches are more restrained.

Last edited by molson : 10-28-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:38 AM   #29
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
You know you're in the honeymoon period when you "turn things around" by losing by 3 TDs to a 1-5 team at home.

molson wins the thread.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #30
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
If the team appears to be making progress after the bye week coming up, I think they will take the "interrim" label off.

Oh I agree, I don't even think the standard to get that done is particularly high.
I really figured it was a foregone conclusion at this point to be honest. My prediction should have read (I guess) that he'll get the job full-time and then be fired by this time in '11.

I see him as far more "suspect" than "prospect" as HC's go & I believe his act will wear thin extremely quickly.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:03 PM   #31
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

The way my team's front office has been run, this might be a good thing for Singletary's career.

Quote:
How many HOF players have been great coaches? Why is that suddenly considered some kind of qualification to be an NFL head coach?

Well, the guy he learned from went from being a HOF player to a great coach. But that doesn't matter. HOF players may or not be great coaches, good players may or not be great coaches, career backups may or not be great coaches, and guys who have never played professionally may or not be great coaches. There's no standard to follow.

And whether you or anyone else believes it to be true, his playing career isn't what qualified him to be a head coach. It isn't like he landed some token assistant job with the Bears that was given to him for what he did for the franchise. He had no ties to the Niners but obviously they felt he was qualified enough to come in to lead the LBs, and by viewing his performance and how players responded to him, gave him the bump. You and I and anyone else who wasn't in camp or in the locker room don't have a clue as to why he was chosen to get the job. If they wanted to go with an easy qualification (like getting a team to the Super Bowl), they had a guy on staff who would have been that easy choice.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:07 PM   #32
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

He had no ties to the Niners but obviously they felt he was qualified enough to come in to lead the LBs, and by viewing his performance and how players responded to him, gave him the bump. You and I and anyone else who wasn't in camp or in the locker room don't have a clue as to why he was chosen to get the job. If they wanted to go with an easy qualification (like getting a team to the Super Bowl), they had a guy on staff who would have been that easy choice.

I'm sure there were also reasons they hired Mike Nolan and Dennis Erickson.

What are the 49ers' fans expectations here? Does Singeltary need to get deep into the playoffs next year to meet them? Does it matter if he doesn't win at all this year?

Last edited by molson : 10-28-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:17 PM   #33
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:

I'm sick of him already. He comes in, shows emotion, and embarasses his players. You or I could do that. That's not talent. There's a reason other coaches are more restrained.

Being in the HOF has gotten a lot of guys coaching jobs, even if only Ditka can claim to have been good at both. There is nothing sudden about that. I suspect, though, that being the assistant head coach in SF for the last 3.5 years was more of a factor in him being named interrim had coach.

I don't know how much SF football you have watched, but Vernon Davis deserved a public humiliation. He is a clown. JT O'Sullivan should have been benched. He has been awful and was killing his team on Sunday. It is no accident that SF started playing much better on offense with Shawn Hill at QB.

That Singletary did it means a lot more than you or I doing it because Singletary played exactly how he apparently is insisting that others play.

And, again, he may fail miserably. But I like that he is getting a chance. And I see nothing wrong with kicking some butts on a losing team.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #34
Logan
Head Coach

I'm not going to debate whether it was the right or wrong call (obviously we can't say now anyway), but my point is that he didn't get the job just because he was a HOF player like you said.

I'll only speak for myself, but I don't expect him to do anything with this team until the QB situation is solved. The performance has been complete shit and I don't know how anyone would be able to win with it. The FA situation is once again bad, my guess is they deal a pick to add someone who should at least be capable.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #35
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
I think that response is just in response to those that who have already credited him to "turning the team around", and those who have anointed him as the next great coach.

No one has said he has turned the team around. No one has annointed him the next great coach.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #36
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
No one has said he has turned the team around. No one has annointed him the next great coach.

...outside of random internet fans or members of the media, who all fall into that "doesn't know shit" camp I mentioned before.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #37
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

His winning credentials as a player have nothing to do with coaching. Matt Millen won 4 super bowls, that doesn't mean he had 4 super bowls backing him as a GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post

Is he being paid to coach or to be a press secretary?

Ripping on him for losing isn't ridiculous, he can give the greatest post game conferences ever but it doesn't matter if the team doesn't win. They're in a weak, winnable division - that's why they got rid of Nolan. Not to determine who should be riding the pine while losing the rest of the year.

If his team responds to it, it's great and he'll have time to work with the team otherwise I don't see him lasting beyond this year, so having him around as a talent evaluator is a waste. I think making the kind of news he has hurts him and his team more than it helps.

People want to name Tom Coughlin as an example, I don't remember Tom Coughlin, or any other coach for that matter calling out a team that he's only coached for 1 game. He'll sink or swim now thanks to that presser.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:47 PM   #38
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
People want to name Tom Coughlin as an example, I don't remember Tom Coughlin, or any other coach for that matter calling out a team that he's only coached for 1 game. He'll sink or swim now thanks to that presser.

Do you think the LBs worked out in their own bubble for 4 years? Think he wasn't watching his guys destroy this tight end during practice? The tight end who goes to the media and declares himself to be the best tight end in the league?

VD is a disease in more ways than one. He's all talk, he takes stupid penalties, and he drops balls that drill him in the chest. I'm starting to think that those who are criticizing this believe that this was some random verbal assault on a player who has done nothing wrong.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #39
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Do you think the LBs worked out in their own bubble for 4 years? Think he wasn't watching his guys destroy this tight end during practice? The tight end who goes to the media and declares himself to be the best tight end in the league?

VD is a disease in more ways than one. He's all talk, he takes stupid penalties, and he drops balls that drill him in the chest. I'm starting to think that those who are criticizing this believe that this was some random verbal assault on a player who has done nothing wrong.

So that requires a public tirade?

He talks about wanting to get rid of team cancers, then he says Vernon Davis isn't a problem guy. He says he only wants winners, but his team looked like the worse team in the league, partly because of his inept coaching decisions and he hasn't won a single game yet as a head coach. He doesn't want guys who aren't selling out on the field, then he sells his team out in front of everyone when he hasn't even proved if he can coach yet.

Coaching LBs and coaching an entire team is quite a big difference.

He might end up being a great coach, I just think he's already screwed himself. He could very well prove me wrong in the following weeks, we'll see.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:04 PM   #40
molson
General Manager

Quote:
So that requires a public tirade?

He talks about wanting to get rid of team cancers, then he says Vernon Davis isn't a problem guy. He says he only wants winners, but his team looked like the worse team in the league, partly because of his inept coaching decisions and he hasn't won a single game yet as a head coach. He doesn't want guys who aren't selling out on the field, then he sells his team out in front of everyone when he hasn't even proved if he can coach yet.

Coaching LBs and coaching an entire team is quite a big difference.

He might end up being a great coach, I just think he's already screwed himself. He could very well prove me wrong in the following weeks, we'll see.

He's in the honeymoon period, but he's going to have to back off publicly embarrassing players. That won't sit well with the people that actually pick the players unless he wins big on the field (and even then, they'll wait for him to slip up so they can get rid of him).
Old 10-28-2008, 02:18 PM   #41
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Think he wasn't watching his guys destroy this tight end during practice?

Judging from a quote I saw earlier today, the opposite seemed to be more of an issue (i.e. Davis has to be told to back off in practice & not kill his teammates).
Old 10-28-2008, 02:41 PM   #42
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
VD is a disease in more ways than one.

I see what you did here.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:57 PM   #43
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Judging from a quote I saw earlier today, the opposite seemed to be more of an issue (i.e. Davis has to be told to back off in practice & not kill his teammates).

That doesn't surprise me if we're just talking about being physical. But the guy can't block the rush, doesn't know when to break off a route and settle into a zone, and constantly gets baited by smarter LBs. That's where I was coming from.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:02 PM   #44
adubroff
High School JV

I got bad Ray Rhodes flashbacks as an Eagle fan. I wouldn't say for sure that he's going to be good or bad, but he can't do what he did every week. If he has another gear he can make this work. Coughlin won last year in part because he downshifted.
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:26 PM   #45
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I'm sure there were also reasons they hired Mike Nolan and Dennis Erickson.

What are the 49ers' fans expectations here? Does Singeltary need to get deep into the playoffs next year to meet them? Does it matter if he doesn't win at all this year?

All die respect, et cetera blah blah, but this is a stupid question. Delete "Singletary", and insert name of every other unproven coach ever hired in the history of ever. How is this germane to the discussion?

RIP
Old 10-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #46
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post

I was about to disagree with you, and went back to the beginning of the thread to prove it, and I see now that I (and maybe molson as well) seem to have misread this post by AgustusM:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM View Post

RIP
Old 10-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #47
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
All die respect, et cetera blah blah, but this is a stupid question. Delete "Singletary", and insert name of every other unproven coach ever hired in the history of ever. How is this germane to the discussion?

It matters here because Singletary has more excitement surrounding him than any other unproven coach that I think of. It would just be a completely different take by the media and message board poster if the 49ers hired a non-HOF linebacker coach. 49ers fans are delirious. So I was just curious what they actually expect in terms of w/l.

I also misread AgustusM's post - I wonder if he edited it.

Last edited by molson : 10-29-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:27 AM   #48
chesapeake
College Starter

If all Singletary ever does is call out players in public, then he will suck as a coach. Doing it once after a lame performance by his team 5 days into his tenure as head coach is no big deal and sends a message to the team that things will be different.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:49 AM   #49
digamma
Torchbearer

I assume people have seen this, or it has been posted:

Video: Stupid Reporter Asks Mike Singletary If He Called Bill Walsh | BuzzCuts | buzzcuts.com

Last edited by digamma : 10-30-2008 at 11:37 AM.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #50
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I assume people have seen this, or it has been posted:

http://buzzcuts.uproxx.com/sports/4837

That just leads to someones OWA.

What the 49ers fans here expect is some kind of improvement next year. If we only win 1 more game this year, I don't see it hurting Singletary, and that's just because he's off the hook as far as performance goes. Like someone else here said, he's in the honeymoon period. Another person here said something else...and I forget who said it earlier in this thread, but it sounded rediculously stupid. They said "he hasn't won a single game as a head coach", saying he made a multitude of inept coaching decisions and his team looked like the worst team in the league. Is that a joke? Is that supposed to mean that because the ONE game he's been a head coach for, of which he had about 3 days to adjust to being a head coach, that he has no right to say anything but "it's my fault, it's my fault, it's my fault" to the media? Does that mean that a good coach would have won the game convincingly in the same exact circumstances? Please.

Vernon Davis has been a prima donna since he showed up here. He has acted up and drawn penalties in damn near every...single...game this year, and a good majority of the games in the last two years. On top of that he's notorious for starting fights during practice (of which I have witnessed more than one). He uses the excuse "I just get really emotional on the field" which is great if you're producing decent numbers and using that emotion in positive ways. Instead he's been jumping offsides, hitting people late, dropping passes left and right and blaming everyone but himself, and pounding his chest in the 4th quarter after he makes his first catch of the game...when we're losing by 3 TD's. He's the only player on the team that can compete with Alex Smith for boo's from the crowd. Even his teammates said after the game that it's about time this happened. His own teammates said to the media that this crap has been going on long enough and they're happy to see someone actually do something about it.

Singletary did two things in this last game that should have been done weeks ago. #1 He pulled J.T. O'Sullivan out of the game and put in Shaun Hill. Shaun played excellent football last year, and he deserved to start out this year as the starting QB. I believe (and most others here share this belief) that if he had started the year at QB we would a couple more wins under our belts. #2 He put Vernon Davis is his place. Enough is enough, and it's time for "Click Clack" to not only put up, but shutup.

What Singletary did was call out someone who deserved to be called out in public. Someone like this isn't going to straighten out if you just pull him aside. We know this because Singletary said specifically that he pulled Davis aside last week and they had a long talk about him playing smarter and not making stupid mistakes. I'm willing to bet that Nolan had talked to him on multiple occasions about the same things. There have also been multiple stories in every paper within 100 miles of here, talking about how Davis commits too many stupid penalties and how his "emotional state on the field" has only been hurting him since he was drafted. Singletary to me comes off as someone who is very logical, and also knows how to work with people. Those who think this is going to be the standard postgame speech for him, and that he will telling players to hit the showers after every bad penalty, are overreacting badly.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 10-30-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote