Sometimes 44 33.33%
only when eating trout 0 0%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2008, 09:35 PM   #51
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
One other thing I should mention is that my wife likes to experiment. If she is going to make the effort to be creative, I feel like I owe it to her to appreciate her while we share it. It is an extra little experience that I don't think we'd get if we were watching TV at the same time.

Here, fixed that for you. No need to be coy, we're all adults here. ;-)

Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #52
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I was wondering if someone was going to "fix" that post.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:28 PM   #53
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Calm down. It was pretty obvious that implying only people that live in trailers watch tv during dinner was the judgmental comment I was replying to. The implication I was responding to was that it is possible to have real conversations with your spouse even if you're not doing it during dinner.

People who take Subby seriously are funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #54
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

We generally eat around a table - its a habit I like and try to keep, only exception are rare pizza nights where we'll tuck into bed with the kids and watch a movie with pizza and junk food on hand .... yes it can be messy but its fun
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:21 PM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
...This is probably different if you have kids and want to make sure you talk to them and that's the only way you'll interact with them.

I guess I'm pretty close to the same page about this to be honest, but we really don't have anything resembling what appears to be the "normal" routine around my house.

Working together, from home offices, means my wife & I are literally interacting all day and it runs the gamut from work stuff to homeowner stuff to random trivia/gossip stuff. When our son gets home from school, pretty much everything stops for her to got through the "what you did today" routine, I usually get about half of the details then & the rest later ... because he's within 15 feet of me for the bulk of the time between homework & bed.

Basically the degree of interaction is so high that dinner at home (which isn't more than 2-3 days a week anyway) is more like a break from the interaction if anything. We kind of small talk through it but nothing particularly serious since that usually ain't good for digestion
Old 08-31-2008, 02:15 AM   #56
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I guess I'm pretty close to the same page about this to be honest, but we really don't have anything resembling what appears to be the "normal" routine around my house.

Working together, from home offices, means my wife & I are literally interacting all day and it runs the gamut from work stuff to homeowner stuff to random trivia/gossip stuff. When our son gets home from school, pretty much everything stops for her to got through the "what you did today" routine, I usually get about half of the details then & the rest later ... because he's within 15 feet of me for the bulk of the time between homework & bed.

Basically the degree of interaction is so high that dinner at home (which isn't more than 2-3 days a week anyway) is more like a break from the interaction if anything. We kind of small talk through it but nothing particularly serious since that usually ain't good for digestion

Once again, we are alike in something. It scares me what I may become.

So for 9 years I never was home anyways, so I won't count that because it's different. Since then though... Both the wife and I basically work from the home, and to take it a step further my daughter is home schooled. The three of us are together all day most of the time. The exception being the last couple months when my daughter spent days at the Parks & Rec get some good old fashion interaction with friends and other kids. Dinner isn't exactly a big deal for us as it would be for others, it's just the last meal of the day.....

And to quote the great Shin Chan "This food needs TV."
Old 10-20-2008, 12:15 AM   #57
Galaxy
Coordinator

Interesting thread.

It seems tough in today's society, with all the sports/after school activities, busy working moms and parents, if this is a key part of the trouble with marriages and families (and keeping your children on a successful, trouble-free path).
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:52 AM   #58
SackAttack
Head Coach

Never used to.

My desk is the only table in my apartment at this point in time, and the PC is now hooked up to the TV, so I generally take my meals at the computer (which really isn't any different from how it was in CA, 'cept the PC has a 32" screen instead of a 17" screen).
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:34 AM   #59
Schmidty
Coordinator

I never realized people were so passionate about where they eat until this thread.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #60
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I eat on TV. It's the "Pumpy Eats a Pop-Tart" show, and it is nationally syndicated. It comes on in most markets between "Cheaters" and "Charles in Charge" reruns. I even had Willie Aames on my show as a guest star, and he ate a Pop-Tart, but then I punched him in the gut because he was making too much noise and generally being a dick.

Bibleman, my ass.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:40 PM   #61
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I eat on TV. It's the "Pumpy Eats a Pop-Tart" show, and it is nationally syndicated. It comes on in most markets between "Cheaters" and "Charles in Charge" reruns. I even had Willie Aames on my show as a guest star, and he ate a Pop-Tart, but then I punched him in the gut because he was making too much noise and generally being a dick.

Bibleman, my ass.

Get Nicole Eggert on there, then I'm a dedicated viewer.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #62
RendeR
Coordinator

Our house has a tiony kitchen, but the livingroom/dining room/office space is one huge 21x22 foot room, so if/when we all manage to eat together we're all in there and so is the main TV.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:47 AM   #63
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Nope - dinner time is family time.

Call me square, but we sit down at the kitchen table - my wife, daughter and I - and talk about our day.

Best part of my day.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:48 AM   #64
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:

Bibleman, my ass.
I like the spin-off, "HA f*cks a Pop-Tart". The episode where he left it in the toaster too long was my favorite

Last edited by Toddzilla : 10-21-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #65
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I like the spin-off, "HA f*cks a Pop-Tart". The episode where he left it in the toaster too long was my favorite
CAUTION: FILLING IS HOT
Old 10-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #66
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Nope - dinner time is family time.

Call me square, but we sit down at the kitchen table - my wife, daughter and I - and talk about our day.

Best part of my day.

same here. When we got our house built, we specifically did the floorplan so that no TV would be visible from the dining room...

FM
Old 10-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #67
spleen1015
Coordinator

You can see my tv from the table, so we do most of the time. If there's heavy shit going on with someone in the family, the tv isn't on.

And I agree, Subby is a dick.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:58 AM   #68
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I tried doing dinner without the TV. Every time my wife and I tried to talk about our day, though, she kept bragging about how much sex she was getting. So I got pretty tired of that shit.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:05 PM   #69
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
I tried doing dinner without the TV. Every time my wife and I tried to talk about our day, though, she kept bragging about how much sex she was getting. So I got pretty tired of that shit.
I was gettin' pretty tired too...
Old 10-21-2008, 12:20 PM   #70
MikeVic
Head Coach

The TV eats dinner in front of me.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #71
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote: