Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Do you eat dinner in front of the TV?

poll to come

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:10 AM   #2
Groundhog
Coordinator

Don't have any other place to eat - only table I've got is a coffee table in front of the TV.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:12 AM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Don't have any other place to eat - only table I've got is a coffee table in front of the TV.

we are pretty much the same.

We hae a dinning room table that was my wifes great grandmothers but we have no chairs for it
Old 08-26-2008, 01:26 AM   #4
korme
Go Reds

Yes, because that's where my coffee table is, the only option.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:41 AM   #5
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Only if I'm feeling fruity.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:43 AM   #6
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Our kitchen, dining room, and family room is one big room...so, yes.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:57 AM   #7
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I eat dinner from behind the TV. I find that I have more of an appetite if I can see entertained faces.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:17 AM   #8
JeeberD
General Manager

Most of the time. Which is weird, because we NEVER ate dinner in the living room when I was growing up...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:30 AM   #9
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Most of the time. Which is weird, because we NEVER ate dinner in the living room when I was growing up...

Completely opposite here. We always ate in front of the TV growing up. My wife's family, however, NEVER did, and that's carried through to our family. I often find myself eating quickly to go watch something, or if the Cowboys are on, I excuse myself with my plate, apologize to the wife and go watch the game.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:46 AM   #10
wade moore
lolzcat

As a kid we always ate in the living room.

My wife and I did the same until we moved into our new house in June. We have vowed to never eat in front of the TV again. I've found that eating at the table with no TV has done wonders for being able to keep up with what each other is doing, etc, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:02 AM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Usually, but that's because there's a TV in the kitchen & we eat at the center island.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:30 AM   #12
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:

+1
Old 08-26-2008, 08:33 AM   #13
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Growing up we were allowed to eat dinner in the kitchen (which could see the living room TV) only when my Dad was away (about 40% of the time with his job). When the whole family was together we ate in the dining room.

Currently with my wife I think we've eaten in front of the TV once or twice since we've been together. I don't intend to do it much more once we have kids, especially now that we have a PVR.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:07 AM   #14
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I put sometimes...

My standing rule is eat at the table, because I have traveled for the past 11 years of my married life I never really got to find out a lot about my kids and such, so the dinner table is where we eat and talk about things UNLESS there is a live event or BYU game on then we will watch t.v.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:09 AM   #15
Malificent
High School JV

Only when it is just the wife and I at home. If it is a family dinner, never in front of the TV.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #16
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malificent View Post
Only when it is just the wife and I at home. If it is a family dinner, never in front of the TV.

+1, for the most part.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:03 AM   #17
Subby
lolzcat

If I lived in a trailer park I totally would do that.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:09 AM   #18
MikeVic
Head Coach

The kitchen over-sees the living room, so I watch TV with every meal at home. When I move out, that'll test whether I need the TV. I'm thinking yes.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:14 AM   #19
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
If I lived in a trailer park I totally would do that.

you really are a dick.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:24 AM   #20
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:

Ditto.

This will likely change once my daughter is old enough to sit at a table and eat, just because I enjoy sitting at the table.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #21
JediKooter
Coordinator

Yes. My bedroom is my living and my dining room all in one.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:37 AM   #22
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Usually, but that's because there's a TV in the kitchen & we eat at the center island.

Close to the same for us. We mostly eat at a snack bar between the kitchen and living room and can see the TV.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:59 AM   #23
lurker
High School JV

We kind of treat eating dinner in front of the tv as popcorn at the movies -- it just makes it a more fun event. Since all the shows we watch together usually involve us talking about the shows (usually to mock) while we watch, it makes sense to do it while eating dinner. We still talk plenty, all evening long, so it's not a problem for our relationship. Plus, it's not like most people that watch tv together are staring at it in rapt attention, not interacting with each other at all.

When I was a kid, we would usually watch Jeopardy while eating -- somebody who assumes only trailer trash watches tv while eating must have a pretty limited imagination.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:13 PM   #24
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I ate in front of the TV often while growing up. Now that it is just me and my wife, we rarely eat in front of the TV. Since we end up watching a fair amount of TV, this is a nice change of pace to give us some time that it different from the norm.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #25
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
you really are a dick.
I bet if you had started your morning off with a mimosa you wouldn't be so fucking judgemental.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 08-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #26
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I bet if you had started your morning off with a mimosa you wouldn't be so fucking judgemental.

Judgemental?

says the guy who compares more then half of us to trailer park trash, what makes you any better then someone who lives in a trailer?
Old 08-26-2008, 12:29 PM   #27
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

If we're eating with the kids, then at the table, no TV.

If it's just my wife and I, it's in front of the TV
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:29 PM   #28
Subby
lolzcat

Is that a trick question?

Old 08-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #29
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Me and the wife always ate in front of the TV before our daughter was born. Since then, we have made it a point to eat dinner at the kitchen table with no TV. I'd rather get into that habit so I'll have some time with my kids at night when I get back from work rather than plunk down in front of the TV.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:38 PM   #30
Drake
assmaster

I eat in front of Subby's TV.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:50 PM   #31
Izulde
Head Coach

As a kid, we ate in the living room unless it was a special occassion like Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner or the like.

After I left home, I got into the habit of not eating in front of a television and now eating in front of a TV is so unnatural to me that even when I go home, I eat in the kitchen.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:54 PM   #32
lurker
High School JV

Are you people who are not watching tv during dinner also not watching tv at all? That's the sort of judgmental attitude I can at least understand. I don't understand what the problem is with combining the two activities as long as that's not all you're doing that evening. It actually seems better to eat while watching instead of just watching, if you know there's something you want to see. Then you can get up and do something after. Don't you people talk to your spouses without the dinner table forcing you to sit down?

This is probably different if you have kids and want to make sure you talk to them and that's the only way you'll interact with them.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:06 PM   #33
Subby
lolzcat

television is for commoners although I do watch masterpiece theater once in while

Old 08-26-2008, 01:08 PM   #34
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It's just Lady H_B and I, but we try to eat in the dining room more often than not. I'd say we eat in front of the television maybe twice a week or so.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:15 PM   #35
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Are you people who are not watching tv during dinner also not watching tv at all? That's the sort of judgmental attitude I can at least understand. I don't understand what the problem is with combining the two activities as long as that's not all you're doing that evening. It actually seems better to eat while watching instead of just watching, if you know there's something you want to see. Then you can get up and do something after. Don't you people talk to your spouses without the dinner table forcing you to sit down?

This is probably different if you have kids and want to make sure you talk to them and that's the only way you'll interact with them.

I don't think there is a problem of eating and watching the TV at the same time, but I do know some families that come home from school/work, sit down in front of the TV, eat, and stay there until it is time for bed. If I allowed myself that kind of option, I'd probably do the same thing. For me, eating away from the TV is my way to be sure I have time to share the day's activities with my wife.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:18 PM   #36
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

One other thing I should mention is that my wife likes to cook and she likes to experiment. Because of this we rarely have the same meal more than once or twice. If she is going to make the effort to be creative in the kitchen, I feel like I owe it to her to appreciate the meal and her while we share it. It is an extra little experience that I don't think we'd get if we were watching TV at the same time.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #37
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

We eat in front of the TV. I used to live in a trailer for a couple of years at one point too, Subby. Then again, being a truck driver I think that is all pretty much expected of me and I take no offense at all.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:42 PM   #38
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

Wow - what an idiotic response.

But, to address your questions.

I don't have a "problem" with watching tv while eating, I just choose not to do it. It gives a dedicated time when we can have dedicated time to talk while we're eating - just like you like to accomplish tv and eating at the same time. It means we know there will be 30ish minutes a day that we will be talking without other tasks/distractions.

As a side note - a recent study showed convincingly that people eat more when they watch TV and eat.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 08-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #39
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
We eat in front of the TV. I used to live in a trailer for a couple of years at one point too, Subby. Then again, being a truck driver I think that is all pretty much expected of me and I take no offense at all.
Well at least I know that you know that nothing I say on this site is even remotely serious.

Except for that stuff I said about Drake.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #40
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
That's the sort of judgmental attitude I can at least understand...
Quote:
...Don't you people talk to your spouses without the dinner table forcing you to sit down?

Oh and - way to call the pot black there kettle.

Quote:
Old 08-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #41
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Plus, it's not like most people that watch tv together are staring at it in rapt attention, not interacting with each other at all.

I missed this post initially.

FWIW - this is how we watch TV. I see no problem with it.

Quote:
Old 08-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #42
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
television is for commoners although I do watch masterpiece theater once in while

Is that the one with Cookie Monster? I *love* that show!
Old 08-26-2008, 02:01 PM   #43
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:

Nope, not using the dinner table to force me to sit down and talk with my spouse, we talk all the time. It's family time for us, we talk about everything, joke around and have a good time and sometimes we just keep going past the point when we are all done eating. It will turn sometimes into a board game or story telling time.

For me, it's disconnecting my kids from electronic stimulus (T.V., gameboy, Wii, 360, ipod, computer) and having them actually interact. A lot of kids these days are lacking the social skills due to the fact they never unplug, I don't want my kids in that bracket. In fact, my 11 year old is running a successful business now because of one of our discussions at dinner over a year ago.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:04 PM   #44
korme
Go Reds

I intentionally always get Chipotle with my roomate to go now, usually during times when Scrubs or King of Queens or any other badass rerun comedy show is on. Screw you, Friendship Builder! I've fictional characters to watch!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #45
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

Same here. No room in the kitchen for a table and no dining room.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #46
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

How many people eat dinner in front of the TV, AND watch WWE while eating? That is my question.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #47
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
The kitchen over-sees the living room, so I watch TV with every meal at home. When I move out, that'll test whether I need the TV. I'm thinking yes.
Pretty much the same for me. However, over the last couple of months, we've started to put on XM through DirecTV instead of an actual tv channel.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:23 PM   #48
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I only eat off of the ironing board, facing the wall.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:42 PM   #49
lurker
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Wow - what an idiotic response.

But, to address your questions.

I don't have a "problem" with watching tv while eating, I just choose not to do it. It gives a dedicated time when we can have dedicated time to talk while we're eating - just like you like to accomplish tv and eating at the same time. It means we know there will be 30ish minutes a day that we will be talking without other tasks/distractions.

As a side note - a recent study showed convincingly that people eat more when they watch TV and eat.

Calm down. It was pretty obvious that implying only people that live in trailers watch tv during dinner was the judgmental comment I was replying to. The implication I was responding to was that it is possible to have real conversations with your spouse even if you're not doing it during dinner.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:28 PM   #50
Autumn
Head Coach

Wow, I'm really surprised by these results so far. Good poll.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote