Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-24-2008, 02:52 PM   #101
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Fuck the military.

And if you don't like it, this is an internet message board, so kiss my hairy ass.

Welcome to Hollywood, soldier.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:52 PM   #102
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
ISiddiqui's trying to turn it into a "immunity from criticism" angle and that's not what this is.

And you are trying to set it up so collective curses can be showered on other agencies without much uproar, but heaven forbid if its the military!
Old 07-24-2008, 03:00 PM   #103
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
And you are trying to set it up so collective curses can be showered on other agencies without much uproar, but heaven forbid if its the military!

I support your constitutional right to fuck the military or the government.

And mine to point out that it's a pretty childish thing to say (and that you do personally impact more people than you might intend to). A solider considers himself more of the "military" than a teacher does "the government". That's all. Criticize the government and military all you want - but don't get all pissy if people disagree with you, and don't claim that they're making some kind of immunity argument.

Last edited by molson : 07-24-2008 at 03:10 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:09 PM   #104
miami_fan
Coordinator

Wow did this thread go way off track! Back to the original story if I may.

First, I disagreed with the rule change in the first place. But once the rule change was in place, I think the Army should have allowed him to play with the understanding that his military commitments override any that he had with the Lions. If that prevented him from playing, oh well. However, that would have been in keeping with any other military member who wants to have an job outside of his military one.

On a side note, this leads me to question why the Army decided to revise this policy once again and why the other academies began bitching about it all of a sudden. According to the article. the DOD policy has been in place since 1994. I am assuming that the Army policy has been interpreted that way ever since.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:14 PM   #105
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Criticize the government and military all you want - but don't get all pissy if people disagree with you, and don't claim that they're making some kind of immunity argument.

I hope you treat Political Correctness the same way you treat Patriotic Correctness.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #106
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

On a side note, this leads me to question why the Army decided to revise this policy once again and why the other academies began bitching about it all of a sudden. According to the article. the DOD policy has been in place since 1994. I am assuming that the Army policy has been interpreted that way ever since.

I'm surprised this hasn't come up more often, there's definitely been other service academy guys who have been in the NFL.

I saw this on Wiki for Kyle Eckel, who played at Navy

"Eckel was placed on the Reserve/Military list on September 7, 2005 - just days after being claimed by the Miami Dolphins. He continued to serve the Navy until October 31, 2006. A spokesman for the Navy described the separation as an involuntary "administrative separation"[1] from the service, and Eckel told the Miami Herald that he "was given the opportunity to submit a letter of resignation, which was accepted."

The Dolphins received a roster exemption from the league for Eckel in 2006 (so he could practice with the team, so long as he was not added to the active roster). He was not activated during the season, and was an exclusive rights free agent in the 2007 offseason. He was re-signed to a one-year contract on March 19, 2007, but released on September 1 during final cuts."

So there's a Reserve/Military list, and Eckel spent a year on it before quietly getting out of the rest of his commitment, about 1 1/2 years after he graducated from the Naval Academy.

Another one's Bryce Fisher, who played at Air Force. He was drafted in 1999, but didn't start his career until 2001 - I couldn't quickly find if that was because of military commitments or because he was on the practice squad or something.

I don't see why the Lions couldn't sign Campbell and put him on the reserve/military list - if they really wanted him, and this isn't just some attempt at a feel-good training camp story.

Last edited by molson : 07-24-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #107
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
I prefer the term "make love" to "fuck" or "screw".

Make love to the military.

Is it Pumpy. Does he fuck, screw, or make love?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:58 PM   #108
JediKooter
Coordinator

What if the military fucked you? You think anyone would be offended? Or be pleasured?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:06 PM   #109
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Fuck the military.

And if you don't like it, this is an internet message board, so kiss my hairy ass.

You missed it by about 5 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:42 PM   #110
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I believe the Army re-interpreted it sometime in 2007 to help recruiting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
And I don't get the part about owing $100k to Nike and the agent. I'd love to see a news source on that. Maybe there's some kind of standard termination fee in the contract, but I don't see it holding up unless they put some serious money into him already, which is doubtful.
I just saw a text message from Campbell listing those issues and heard the 100k figure from my friend. It seemed a little off to me too. The way I figure it is he got somewhere around 20-25k from an agency that paid for traveling back and forth between pre-draft workouts and then Lions camps that was expected to be paid back from the contract. Then he signed a shoe deal with Nike and probably got money up front from that. If I see my friend this weekend I'll try to get more details.

I can guarantee that Campbell did not go to West Point intending to play in the NFL. He was intending to be an officer, and would have been fine going that course of action. When the opportunity to play in the NFL was presented him by West Point and the Lions, he went for it, and he's just pissed off he spent 6 months working towards that goal for nothing. He would have been completely fine serving his commitment and not complaining if they hadn't changed the policy last year.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #111
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

I can guarantee that Campbell did not go to West Point intending to play in the NFL. He was intending to be an officer, and would have been fine going that course of action. When the opportunity to play in the NFL was presented him by West Point and the Lions, he went for it, and he's just pissed off he spent 6 months working towards that goal for nothing. He would have been completely fine serving his commitment and not complaining if they hadn't changed the policy last year.

Hopefully he's just venting to a friend about how much all this sucks, and once the smoke clears he can talk to an attorney/realize he'd not going to be liable for anything.