Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-23-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
muns
Pro Starter

Army orders " NFL draft day" feel good story back to active duty

Army orders Lions draft pick Campbell to withdraw - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

I was hoping he would make the team and the story would continue. Looks as though that isnt gonna ever happen now.

muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I didn't agree with the Army allowing him to play, but once he's given clearance it's really shitty to pull it away.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
rjolley
College Starter

Yeah, makes no sense to create the rule to create goodwill, then pull the rule when someone actually has a chance to be a goodwill story.

Did Campbell actually have a shot at making the team? The Army may have had to wait another month or so and they would've gotten him back, goodwill intact.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Yeah, makes no sense to create the rule to create goodwill, then pull the rule when someone actually has a chance to be a goodwill story.

Did Campbell actually have a shot at making the team? The Army may have had to wait another month or so and they would've gotten him back, goodwill intact.

I dont know much about the Lions except reading about their love for Matt Millen (joke just in case) but Millen's son went to Army with Campbell which is why he got drafted in the first place im guessing. Just off of that alone I think he had a shot at making it
Old 07-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #5
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Let's be real, the rule was originally created as a marketing tool -- the armed forces hoped to get some recruits in pro sports who could serve as role models and inspire others to join. For that reason, I was fine with the policy -- the armed forces would be using Campbell for the our purpose, and once you join the military that is essentially what you have agreed to do. Campbell was just lucky that the way the Army planned to benefit from him was good for him as well.

But to rip it up the deal after the fact is a crock. The guy in me who respects the uniform really hopes that the jackass responsible for this is some dickwad civvie.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:57 PM   #6
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I saw a comment on espn.com from someone blaming Millen for this. True, Millen is a complete idiot, but this was not something he could have predicted. The Army changed their "interpretation" of the rules, and this kid got screwed because of it. Good luck to him and I hope to see him in the NFL in 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:37 PM   #7
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I talked to my friend tonight who was Campbell's roomate last year at West Point. In addition to having to find housing and a car at whatever base he's assigned, he also owes back close to $100,000 between agent fees and his Nike Contract. He's getting completely screwed on this deal.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:45 PM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I wonder if there is any legal recourse he can take.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:49 PM   #9
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I talked to my friend tonight who was Campbell's roomate last year at West Point. In addition to having to find housing and a car at whatever base he's assigned, he also owes back close to $100,000 between agent fees and his Nike Contract. He's getting completely screwed on this deal.

Wow didn't know all that. He did get completely screwed. Good luck doing anything about it though against the US government.

Quote:
Old 07-23-2008, 11:52 PM   #10
RainMaker
General Manager

The sad thing is that he could have been a phenomenal recruiting tool for the military. But this country is run by dumbshits, so this isn't necessarily a surprise.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:53 PM   #11
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The sad thing is that he could have been a phenomenal recruiting tool for the military. But this country is run by dumbshits, so this isn't necessarily a surprise.

Quote:
Old 07-24-2008, 03:18 AM   #12
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post

But to rip it up the deal after the fact is a crock. The guy in me who respects the uniform really hopes that the jackass responsible for this is some dickwad civvie.

fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:58 AM   #13
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Ain't no civvie:

Quote:
Army has redefined the Alternative Service Option to include playing professional sports," Navy athletic director Chet Gladchuk has said. "Our coaches are now operating under a significant handicap when recruiting head-to-head with Army. It may not be reflected on the playing field today, but I can guarantee you that it will result in a competitive disadvantage down the road.

The Air Force agreed, saying the academies recruit cadets from the same pool of candidates.

It was the Navy and Air Force. Personally, I see nothing wrong with him being in the NFL. He'll either be at West Point or the Prep School coaching football (being a GA) for a year and then go to OBC. After that, he might have 6 months left before his two years are up. It's ridiculous that the military is doing this. Instead of whining, Annapolis and the Air Force Academy should've done the same thing.

I'm sure that there are a lot of football (and other sports) players at West Point that are freshmen and are stuck there for a year because they thought they had a legitimate shot at the NFL.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:37 AM   #14
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Ain't no civvie:

It was the Navy and Air Force. Personally, I see nothing wrong with him being in the NFL. He'll either be at West Point or the Prep School coaching football (being a GA) for a year and then go to OBC. After that, he might have 6 months left before his two years are up. It's ridiculous that the military is doing this. Instead of whining, Annapolis and the Air Force Academy should've done the same thing.

I'm sure that there are a lot of football (and other sports) players at West Point that are freshmen and are stuck there for a year because they thought they had a legitimate shot at the NFL.

Wow, For me that makes this even worse, because they think they are gonna loose out on recruits. Man I really feel bad for Campbell.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:39 AM   #15
Schmidty
Coordinator

I'm bummed that they did this to him at the last second. I really think he could have made the team on special teams.

Regarding the question of whether he should have been given the opportunity in the first place, I have no opinion.

Last edited by Schmidty : 07-24-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:55 AM   #16
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I'm disappointed that folks go to the academies hoping for a pro career rather than serving their country. That takes away a slot from someone who wants to be there for the correct reasons.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:14 AM   #17
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Why can't someone go to do both? You don't think helping recruitment is serving your country?

And who in the Hell goes to West Point or the Naval Academy thinking it'll be a path to the pros?! If they wanted that, a D2 school would even be a better option.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-24-2008 at 09:16 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #18
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Why can't someone go to do both? You don't think helping recruitment is serving your country?

And who in the Hell goes to West Point or the Naval Academy thinking it'll be a path to the pros?! If they wanted that, a D2 school would even be a better option.

All of the service acadamies are D1 programs, Air Force is ranked pretty consistently, and Navy has been in to a bowl game for 5 straight years. They're a huge step above D2, and programs with similar success send talent to the NFL regularly.

I think it's ridiculous that they would even consider allowing students out of their military commitments by making the pros. There's so many downsides to that. Of course, the way they handled this was wrong, they never should have changed the policy to begin with. I'm guessing they had heavy pressure from alumni and the other service academies.

And I don't get the part about owing $100k to Nike and the agent. I'd love to see a news source on that. Maybe there's some kind of standard termination fee in the contract, but I don't see it holding up unless they put some serious money into him already, which is doubtful.

West Point doesn't need any help "recruiting" in terms of its general student body (It's one of the most selective schools in the country). Anybody who tries to get in because some guy got drafted in the 7th round of the NFL draft isn't somebody they want there anyway.

Last edited by molson : 07-24-2008 at 09:38 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:32 AM   #19
14ers
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
That takes away a slot from someone who wants to be there for the correct reasons.
+1

Last edited by 14ers : 07-24-2008 at 09:32 AM.
14ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:36 AM   #20
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Fuck the military.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #21
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
I'm disappointed that folks go to the academies hoping for a pro career rather than serving their country. That takes away a slot from someone who wants to be there for the correct reasons.

How do we know what his reasons for entering West Point were? Maybe he wanted to be an Army officer and the football thing just kind of happened because...well....he has more talent than the rest of the guys that played on his team. I see no reason why he shouldn't be given the same opportunity as anyone else to be a pro athlete. He shouldn't be penalized because he chose to serve our country.

Quote:

Last edited by RomaGoth : 07-24-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:41 AM   #22
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I don't have a problem with kids at academies playing in the pros. No different than the World Class athlete programs that have always been in place. These guys should get to be part of it. The "free education" thing is a misnomer, because frankly, you could extend their service commitment to be longer on the recruiting end, even making them spend time drilling with a reserve unit if you wanted to.

I don't see any problem with the example of a "military man" who is in the pros. Olympians do it and that's ALL they do and we pay them rank and salary for as long as they're able to do what they do.

But...as usual, a bungheaded policy. I understand why, but...so much for goodwill.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #23
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
How do we know what his reasons for entering West Point were? Maybe he wanted to be an Army officer and the football thing just kind of happened because...well....he has more talent than the rest of the guys that played on his team. I see no reason why he shouldn't be given the same opportunity as anyone else to be a pro athlete. He shouldn't be penalized because he chose to serve our country.

I agree that he must have entered because he wanted to be an Army officer, and that he didn't take a spot away from anyone. But I don't see how he's being penalized. He committed to the army. He can't be a pro athlete, doctor, lawyer, policeman, teacher, etc, until he's fulfilled that commitment. That's part of the deal of getting into that particular academic institution. Making an exception for athletes is silly. If you were making exceptions (and I realize that some do exist), why not use them for something less trivial than sports?
Old 07-24-2008, 09:43 AM   #24
MrIllini
High School Varsity

The baseball Cardinals had a Navy guy they drafted ordered to report. Name escapes me at the moment, but I don't have a huge problem with this.

Yeah, jerking his chain about releasing him then ordering him back is bogus - but he knew what he was in for when he agreed to let the Army (or any service branch) pay to educate him.

David Robinson served his tour, right?
Old 07-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #25
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
No different than the World Class athlete programs that have always been in place.

But do you draw a line somewhere - I don't know if he's a "World Class/Olympic" caliber athlete. What if a guy gets on a practice squad, or the arena league. A program of the caliber of say, Navy, could get 7-8+ guys a year with a pro football option somewhere.

If the NFL draft is the cutoff, I'm not sure I want to put the question of who serves/who doesn't in the hands of NFL GMs. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited by molson : 07-24-2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:48 AM   #26
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIllini View Post

Right, because he was big-time, and not just a novelty/gimmick, the Spurs were more than happy to wait for him.

Part of joining the military is putting the rest of your life on hold, not sticking around until you get a better job offer.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #27
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I agree that he must have entered because he wanted to be an Army officer, and that he didn't take a spot away from anyone. But I don't see how he's being penalized. He committed to the army. He can't be a pro athlete, doctor, lawyer, policeman, teacher, etc, until he's fulfilled that commitment. That's part of the deal of getting into that particular academic institution. Making an exception for athletes is silly. If you were making exceptions (and I realize that some do exist), why not use them for something less trivial than sports?

He should most definitely complete his commitment to the Army. That is not my argument. I do not see why he can't play in the NFL and complete his military obligation at the same time, with him and the Lions (or whatever team owns his rights) understanding that he could get called into action at any given time. I think pulling the carpet out from under him like the Army did was bogus.

Quote:
Old 07-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #28
MrIllini
High School Varsity

I wonder if Campbell was on track to make the Lions? Could this be a face-saving measure of sorts?

He wasn't going to make the team, so the Army recalls him?

I doubt it, but the conspiracy theorists out there could have a field day.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:54 AM   #29
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Fuck the military.

I am curious if you would say that during an invasion or a terrorist attack. I don't agree with everything the military does, but to say something like this is just absurd. You have managed to dishonor all of the people who died for this country in the last 200+ years. Maybe I am biased because I served, but this comment pisses me off. Rather than get boxed I will shut up now.

Quote:
Old 07-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #30
molson
General Manager

Quote:
He should most definitely complete his commitment to the Army. That is not my argument. I do not see why he can't play in the NFL and complete his military obligation at the same time, with him and the Lions (or whatever team owns his rights) understanding that he could get called into action at any given time. I think pulling the carpet out from under him like the Army did was bogus.

I don't have the knowledge to know exactly what "military commitment" entails, but I always assumed that post-West Point, it wasn't something you could do part time (like the reserves), it was your career, especially during wartime. I could be wrong though.

Last edited by molson : 07-24-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #31
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I wonder if Campbell was on track to make the Lions? Could this be a face-saving measure of sorts?

He wasn't going to make the team, so the Army recalls him?

I doubt it, but the conspiracy theorists out there could have a field day.

It's impossible to say. The Lions just started training camp today, so Campbell never even got on the field to make an impression, besides the early OTAs and the rookie camp, some of which he couldn't attend because of school obligations.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:02 AM   #32
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
I don't have the knowledge to know exactly what "military commitment" entails, but I always assumed that post-West Point, it wasn't something you could do part time (like the reserves), it was your career, especially during wartime. I could be wrong though.

You are correct in that it is a full time job. What they should do is have him serve after his NFL career is over (unlikely), or better yet, let him out after half of his time in served. The thing we all need to remember is that we are not all equal. If he is better at football than the other guys in West Point/Naval Academy, then he should be allowed to pursue that career path. Those who strive to succeed should be allowed to succeed without being forced to be average.

Quote:
Old 07-24-2008, 10:04 AM   #33
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
I am curious if you would say that during an invasion or a terrorist attack. I don't agree with everything the military does, but to say something like this is just absurd. You have managed to dishonor all of the people who died for this country in the last 200+ years. Maybe I am biased because I served, but this comment pisses me off. Rather than get boxed I will shut up now.

Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-24-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:07 AM   #34
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Emerson would have made a lousy solider.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:08 AM   #35
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

While I can respect where you are coming from, I doubt those that try to kill us everyday would agree. The real world involves protecting yourself from harm by people who want to kill you, your children, and your way of life.

Quote:
Old 07-24-2008, 10:10 AM   #36
molson
General Manager

Quote:

That'd be 100% true, if only we didn't have human nature to contend with.

So as long as we're in reality, I'm extremely grateful to anyone who makes this kind of sacrifice for us.

It's not just what they do in service, it's the fact that because they volunteered, others don't have to be enlisted. Despite what Michael Moore thinks when he goes around trying to get Senators to "sign their kids up", the US military is a voluntary institution. That's what makes people who take part so amazing.

Last edited by molson : 07-24-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:10 AM   #37
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

I don't know, but the Navy and Air Force Academies sure seem to think that this affects recruiting, which could only happen for those who think it's a stepping stone to the Pros.

The military was wrong to reverse on a commitment they'd already made, but I don't think it's a policy that should be there in the first place.

As for Sun Tzu's comments, well, enjoy your Utopia. I for one live in a world with lots of evil folks who would just love to kill me and take everything I own, and am thankful every time that there are men and women willing to risk their lives (not just in the military, but police, fire, and other groups) to help ensure that I can participate in raging philosophical debates on internet message boards...
Old 07-24-2008, 10:16 AM   #38
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
That'd be 100% true, if only we didn't have human nature to contend with.

So as long as we're in reality, I'm extremely grateful to anyone who makes this kind of sacrifice for us.

It's not just what they do in service, it's the fact that because they volunteered, others don't have to be enlisted. Despite what Michael Moore thinks when he goes around trying to get Senators to "sign their kids up", the US military is a voluntary institution. That's what makes people who take part so amazing.

This is for both you and gstelmack.

Quote:
Old 07-24-2008, 10:22 AM   #39
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Can we get rid of the +1 smilie?

+1

Quote:
Old 07-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #40
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Am I the only one that feels odd reading "fuck the military" and peace quotes from a guy who takes his name from the author of "The Art of War"? Or do I just not know enough about the real Sun Tzu?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:25 AM   #41
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

If people continue to make the excuse that it's human nature to kill eachother, we're all fucked.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:31 AM   #42
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

I have not really seen anything stated on this but I think we should first be concerned with the Soldier involved. Personally I believe he does not mind having to do a two year tour and then trying to make the team. I could be completly wrong but most cadets that go to West Point or any other military academy are gung-ho about the military and want to serve for at least the first two years. If this is the case from him it should not be as big a deal, but still not appropriate. In the end the Army did screw up by not letting them know two weeks ago, but as Campbell knew and all Soldiers, Airmen, Marines, and Seamen know once you sign a contract with the Military you are their property until they decide they want to terminate the contract, they violate your contract, or your contract has expired.
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:32 AM   #43
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
If people continue to make the excuse that it's human nature to kill eachother, we're all fucked.

It's not an excuse, it is reality. Unfortunate, but true. Take a look at the entire history of mankind. How many sequences of relative peace have we endured throughout time? Not many. Somewhere, someone is killing someone else. Or trying to.

Quote:
Old 07-24-2008, 10:56 AM   #44
duckman
Pro Starter

Quote:
Fuck the military.
You're welcome.

Signed,
Kevin Heath
SSgt, USAF 1997-2004
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #45
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
The baseball Cardinals had a Navy guy they drafted ordered to report. Name escapes me at the moment, but I don't have a huge problem with this.

Yeah, jerking his chain about releasing him then ordering him back is bogus - but he knew what he was in for when he agreed to let the Army (or any service branch) pay to educate him.

Actually, no, David did not serve his tour. He served 2 years of the 5 year commitment and was let out because they said his height prevented him from doing a lot of jobs. He served in the reserves, but was really nothing more than a recruiting tool after that.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #46
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

Well, we've got the Peace Corps to go with it. Exactly how do you plan to convince all those folks out there to stop trying to kill us? Heck, how do you plan to stop criminals inside this country from killing folks? And we're not necessarily saying "human nature", as obviously it's not natural for lots of us, but there are plenty of screwed up people with a warped sense of reality that are more than happy to go after defenseless folks.

But please, share your great plan for enlightening the planet and stopping the killing.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #47
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

But please, share your great plan for enlightening the planet and stopping the killing.

cuddle parties
Old 07-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #48
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Fuck the military.

What a ridiculously obnoxious statement.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:32 PM   #49
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
What a ridiculously obnoxious statement.

Why? They are worthy of being fucked specifically here. It's a moronic decision. What, we have to agree with everything they do?

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-24-2008 at 12:33 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:38 PM   #50
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I don't see people saying that when they exclaim "Fuck the government" or similar sentiments.