Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-30-2007, 09:03 AM   #151
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Late to the party, but here's the stuff that I like, but if my friends knew I'd never hear the end of:

Paris Hilton - Stars are Blind
Christina Aguillera - Candyman, Beautiful, Still Dirrty, Hurt
Britney Spears - Oops I Did It Again, Baby One More Time, Toxic
Michael Buble - Home
Jazzy Jeff/Fresh Prince + Will Smith - Entire Catalog!
Five For Fighting - Superman
L'il Bow Wow - Bow Wow (What's My Name)
Spice Girls - Wannabe
Spacehog - Both albums!
Young MC - On & Poppin'
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:05 AM   #152
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola

My friends actually know about my love affair with Will Smith, for which I am punished frequently by way of sarcastic comments.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 08-30-2007, 11:10 AM   #153
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Jazzy Jeff/Fresh Prince + Will Smith - Entire Catalog!

In that case, I highly recommend checking out DJ Jazzy Jeff's wikipedia page. A small, but great example of creating facts Stephen Colbert style by editing wikipedia by a buddy of mine. Its been out there for 3 weeks without being corrected so far.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:20 AM   #154
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
See, I'm reading everybody else's list thinking 'I love Modest Mouse and Neil Diamond and ELO'. Hell, I've got Murray Head records and Rupert Holmes' OTHER single, ABBA and Carpenters records up the wazooo, and basically none of this stuff is phasing me....but your list, my friend, contains some truly horrible music that you definitely should be ashamed of. Three of those songs make me physically sick.

My own embarrasing song...let's see....Cher - 'Believe'. MMMmmm.

Which Rupert Holmes single? Him? Answering Machine? Any B-sides on those?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:42 AM   #155
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
In that case, I highly recommend checking out DJ Jazzy Jeff's wikipedia page. A small, but great example of creating facts Stephen Colbert style by editing wikipedia by a buddy of mine. Its been out there for 3 weeks without being corrected so far.

Gee I hope he gets back on his feet soon!
Old 08-30-2007, 11:53 AM   #156
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkb View Post
"True Colors" by Cyndi Lauper

I heard this song recently, for the first time in several years. Maybe it's because I heard the Phil Collins version so many times, which is really horrible, but I was surprised that this one was better than I remember it being.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #157
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Agreed, never be ashamed of Blondie. Her music set entire new standards for punk in the 70's.

Yo, Blondie's a band, not a girl.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:27 PM   #158
Sgran
High School Varsity

I can't believe that 2 lists beat me to Toxic. But on the other hand, that song is the perfect embarassment song by this criteria: You're in the car with your friends and you're scanning the radio stations. You hit on Toxic, and you know you want to listen to it, so you stop scanning and enjoy as long as you can before there's a revolt in your car and you're being reminded for weeks about how you like Britney Spears.
Sgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:29 PM   #159
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

The thing with Britney Spears is, I don't particularly like her contributions to the songs. I like the writing (which she didn't do AFAIK), and the performance is somewhat fungible. I would imagine that a lot of her work would be better with a more talented singer.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:23 PM   #160
cuervo72
Head Coach

Sign Your Name - Terence Trent D'Arby
So Alive - Love and Rockets

(Heard these two this afternoon on Jack, with Simply Irresistible in between. Nice stretch there.)
Old 03-25-2008, 07:20 PM   #161
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
"Major Tom" by Peter Schilling. One of my favorite songs, and I have no idea why.

When I was a DJ in the mid-eighties, the bathroom was way the hell on the other side of the building. If you had to take a sudden shit for whatever reason, you put on Major Tom and hauled ass.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #162
kurtism
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Sign Your Name - Terence Trent D'Arby
So Alive - Love and Rockets

(Heard these two this afternoon on Jack, with Simply Irresistible in between. Nice stretch there.)

No shame in liking TTD. Very underrated singer and songwriter, imo. Introducing the Hardline... is an excellent debut, and his later work was far more ambitious in scope and style. As musically brave as Prince, and similarly odd. I believe he has converted to Buddhism now and goes by Sananda Maitreya - still releasing very good stuff, just to a MUCH smaller audience.
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:15 PM   #163
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Heavy metal/glam(old school)/death metal/old-new country is where i'm at....but, have a very soft spot for Abba and Bay City Rollers.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:26 PM   #164
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtism View Post
No shame in liking TTD. Very underrated singer and songwriter, imo. Introducing the Hardline... is an excellent debut, and his later work was far more ambitious in scope and style.

Hardline was a great disc. Somehow I remember seeing interviews with him at the time and thinking he had an ego the size of Texas.....
Old 03-26-2008, 03:48 PM   #165
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
Heavy metal/glam(old school)/death metal/old-new country is where i'm at....but, have a very soft spot for Abba and Bay City Rollers.

Funny. I listen to plenty of metal, but still love John Waite and the Babys. But I'm not embarrassed about it!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-26-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #166
Kodos
Resident Alien

I like quite a few George Michael songs.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:51 AM   #167
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I really love the theme to Breaker High

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:54 AM   #168
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Here's the website with it available as a download in case you care to visit or listen.

hxxp://www.televisiontunes.com/Breaker_High.html

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:51 PM   #169
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Most of my music collection would bring shame to most people.

ABBA, Ace of Base, Aqua, Cascada, several hundred songs from DDR, Erasure, Fastball, and soundtracks for many music-themed video games.

I do have some more popular bands like Billy Joel, The Beatles, Green Day, Queen, and Weird Al.

ABBA would have to be my favorite group.

I bet almost everyone cringed when they read what I listen to every day
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:08 PM   #170
Passacaglia
Coordinator

oh man everyone got so much on my case for liking Ace of Base back in the day.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:13 PM   #171
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety View Post
I really love the theme to Breaker High

YES. I watched this and Student Bodies back-to-back a lot.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:20 PM   #172
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu View Post
Most of my music collection would bring shame to most people.

ABBA, Ace of Base, Aqua, Cascada, several hundred songs from DDR, Erasure, Fastball, and soundtracks for many music-themed video games.

I do have some more popular bands like Billy Joel, The Beatles, Green Day, Queen, and Weird Al.

ABBA would have to be my favorite group.

I bet almost everyone cringed when they read what I listen to every day

Eh, it's all good. I don't listen to most of that stuff, but a lot of the pop/rock I listen to clearly has those influences to it. I probably would never listen to ABBA or Bee Gees, for instance, but I could point to several songs I really like that have elements of their music woven into them. Mainly, I enjoy genre-hopping pop/rock, but I don't like most of the best examples of music from within each of the genres. I don't know if that makes sense.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:50 PM   #173
korme
Go Reds

It's very hard to help my street cred when I listen to Regina Spektor, Feist, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Yael Naim, Ingrid Michaelson, Imogen Heap, etc

Last edited by korme : 03-27-2008 at 01:51 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #174
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
It's very hard to help my street cred when I listen to Regina Spektor, Feist, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Yael Naim, Ingrid Michaelson, Imogen Heap, etc

I'll give you some street cred, Shorty. I'm down with the chick rock. That's a solid line-up right there. I've seen Sarah Mclachlan in concert 7 times and went to two "Lilith Fairs." It's all good! I just sort of dabble in music now (though Regina Spektor's "Fidelity" and "Samson" have been two of my favorite songs for months now).

Back in the glory of my college days, however, it was all Sarah Mclachlan, Tori Amos, Sinead O'Connor, Concrete Blonde, 10,000 Maniacs, PJ Harvey, Liz Phair, Belly, The Breeders, and the like. Those were good times... The Golden Era of Chick Rock.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:20 PM   #175
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I'll give you some street cred, Shorty. I'm down with the chick rock. That's a solid line-up right there. It's all good! I just sort of dabble in music now (though Regina Spektor's "Fidelity" and "Samson" have been two of my favorite songs for months now).

all Sarah Mclachlan, Tori Amos, Concrete Blonde, 10,000 Maniacs, PJ Harvey, Liz Phair, Belly, The Breeders, and the like. Those were good times... The Golden Era of Chick Rock.

+1
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #176
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

If you guys like the chick rock, how can Metric not be included?

And for mellower listens, Pascale Picard is awesome too.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:31 PM   #177
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm not embarrassed to like them, but a group called Die Mannequin has a lead (chick) voice that I like.

Last edited by MikeVic : 03-27-2008 at 02:32 PM.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #178
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
If you guys like the chick rock, how can Metric not be included?

I've never heard of Metric. I pretty much completely stopped following music right around 2001. A

nything I have since then I either randomly happened to hear on the radio one day (I only listen to music stations when there are commercials on sports talk radio or NPR is too dull to bear) or someone reccomended, which is also rare.

So, Metric is good? Can you reccomend a few of their songs?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-27-2008, 02:48 PM   #179
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Ohmygod! Metric is awesome. Give me a few minutes to figure out the names of the good songs (iPod has ruined me forever from remembering song names, what with Random play and the lack of a CD Jacket to stare at when bored).
Old 03-27-2008, 02:53 PM   #180
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
I'll give you some street cred, Shorty. I'm down with the chick rock. That's a solid line-up right there. I've seen Sarah Mclachlan in concert 7 times and went to two "Lilith Fairs." It's all good! I just sort of dabble in music now (though Regina Spektor's "Fidelity" and "Samson" have been two of my favorite songs for months now).

Back in the glory of my college days, however, it was all Sarah Mclachlan, Tori Amos, Sinead O'Connor, Concrete Blonde, 10,000 Maniacs, PJ Harvey, Liz Phair, Belly, The Breeders, and the like. Those were good times... The Golden Era of Chick Rock.

Jen Trynin ("One Year Down", "Better Than Nothin'") has a book out about her experience in the Golden Era of Chick Rock, though she apparently did NOT want to be considered a chick rocker. It's an interesting read... I'd say a little bit better than the book by the drummer of Semisonic.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #181
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

OK I have a meeting in 5 minutes. It might take me a couple hours to get that list of songs. You will enjoy them; it will be worth the wait.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #182
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
OK I have a meeting in 5 minutes. It might take me a couple hours to get that list of songs. You will enjoy them; it will be worth the wait.

Looking forward to it. No rush, I'm at work and will likely be here for another few hours...
Old 03-27-2008, 03:01 PM   #183
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
Jen Trynin ("One Year Down", "Better Than Nothin'") has a book out about her experience in the Golden Era of Chick Rock, though she apparently did NOT want to be considered a chick rocker. It's an interesting read... I'd say a little bit better than the book by the drummer of Semisonic.

Interesting. I will have to check that out. Was there any reason she didn't want to be considered a chick rocker? Did she just want to be considered a musician? A rocker? A chick?
Old 03-27-2008, 03:37 PM   #184
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
oh man everyone got so much on my case for liking Ace of Base back in the day.

Same here. I took a lot of heat for that and Poison.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:51 PM   #185
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Ohmygod! Metric is awesome. Give me a few minutes to figure out the names of the good songs (iPod has ruined me forever from remembering song names, what with Random play and the lack of a CD Jacket to stare at when bored).

Some of my favorites of theirs are Police and the Private; Live it Out; Poster of a Girl and another I can't remember right offhand........
Old 03-27-2008, 03:51 PM   #186
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Interesting. I will have to check that out. Was there any reason she didn't want to be considered a chick rocker? Did she just want to be considered a musician? A rocker? A chick?

She wanted to be a "rocker". She felt like the "chick rock" label would pigeonhole her. It's kind of fascinating to read about all the decisions she made that in essence kept her career from taking off like it should have.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #187
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Some of my favorites of theirs are Police and the Private; Live it Out; Poster of a Girl and another I can't remember right offhand........

Yes, those are all fantastic! Great picks. My wife listened to Police and the Private over and over for weeks!

I also really like Empty, it takes a bit to get going, but wow, the payoff. That whole album (Live It Out) is really, really strong.

Off their other albums, I recommend starting with:

Old World Underground, Where Are You Now?
Combat Baby
Succexy
Dead Disco

Grow Up and Blow Away
Rock Me Now
Raw Sugar
Soft Rock Star (second version; last song on disc)

There are more, but those are the best.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:38 PM   #188
korme
Go Reds

Apologies to my girl who is the front for Paramore. They the shit too.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:25 AM   #189
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
I also really like Empty, it takes a bit to get going, but wow, the payoff. That whole album (Live It Out) is really, really strong.

Yeah, Empty was the other one I was thinking of. That was one of those discs that I ended up downloading one song at a time until I realized I had half of the damn thing and should just get the rest. Glad I did.