Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-03-2006, 08:23 PM   #1
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Songs You're Embarrassed to Admit You Like...

Blatantly ripped from Mike & Mike the other morning, when Eric "I-always-misspell his last name" and Buster Olney were hosting.

What song comes up on your iPod that you're ashamed to admit you have on there but you totally love? For example, Buster Olney had The Carpenters on his iPod.

Me, I have a lot of music that isn't exactly "hip," but the song I'm listening to often lately that is sort of embarrassing is Scooter's Ramp! (The Logical Song)

It's not really embarrassing, but it's kind of out there and makes people roll their eyes when I say I'm listening to it...I'm sure I have something worse on there, but right now, I'm listening to Scooter...

/tk

terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:28 PM   #2
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Save a Prayer. I am filled with self-loathing.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
path12
Coordinator

Neil Diamond's Greatest Hits. I'll show myself out.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:36 PM   #4
MJ4H
Coordinator

haha I have both The Carpenters and Neil Diamond on my iPod and I'm not ashamed to admit I love them both. I don't really feel shame about listening to music. It's not as if one goofy pop song is worse than another. It's all entertainment.

As far as what I usually get the most crap about when I tell someone I like them, I guess that would be Barry Manilow.

Or Billy Joel
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:42 PM   #5
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Unfortunately, there's no single song on my iPod I can point to that I'm ashamed to admit that I have on there. There is a pretty wide swath.

First, "archiving" is a bit of a hobby of mine. I have over the years worked on converting my entire music archive to a digital format, starting with my first 45 ("Physical" by Olivia Newton John. As an archivist, my collection must be complete -- nothing can be left out.

That said, despite a nerdy obsession with Sweedish pop, my most embarrassing songs come from my troubled teen years, when I was a confused dateless loner. Given that fragile emotional state, especially considering that no one should be held responsible musically for what they do when they are 16, I think we should overlook my bizarrely large collection of '80s teen pop, headed by the illustrious Debbie "Deborah" Gibson.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:58 PM   #6
rowech
Pro Starter

Not a thing wrong with Neil Diamond.

For me...there are a couple of Barry Manilow songs I like. Same with Air Supply.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:01 PM   #7
Groundhog
Coordinator

My greatest shame is probably Boyz II Men's cover of "Hard for me to say I'm Sorry".

A close second is "Living Thing" by ELO.

Of course, most people would probably think I should be embarrassed about 80% of the prog-rock on my iPod...
Old 08-03-2006, 09:02 PM   #8
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Now I detested this song back in the day, because I wasn't into New Wave music at all, but as I had gotten older, I must admit that I like Careless Whispers. Who knew?
Old 08-03-2006, 09:03 PM   #9
MrBug708
Head Coach

I could come up with a pretty good list. I seem to prefer lame music
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:07 PM   #10
st.cronin
General Manager

I used to be embarrased that I liked Radiohead's "Creep". For some reason, I thought they were quite popular with the pre-teen girl crowd, for a long time.

Now? I don't know ... Modest Mouse, maybe. Or, for the jazz guys, Bix Beiderbeck.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:19 PM   #11
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Maple Leafs apparently has a lot of Broadway Musicals on his Ipod...
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:20 PM   #12
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister
Now I detested this song back in the day, because I wasn't into New Wave music at all, but as I had gotten older, I must admit that I like Careless Whispers. Who knew?

Wham! was new wave? I always considered them bubble gum pop...

Embarassing songs - selected cuts off the Britney Spears greatest hits CD (I love listening to it at the beach for some reason), tons of super cheesy 80's pop (including Debbie Gibson, who I actually saw in concert when I was in high school...), and the Chipmunks Christmas CD
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:22 PM   #13
Critch
lolzcat

I own two Rod Stewart cds. They were not bought for me as gifts, I bought them for myself.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:23 PM   #14
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I used to be embarrased that I liked Radiohead's "Creep". For some reason, I thought they were quite popular with the pre-teen girl crowd, for a long time.

Now? I don't know ... Modest Mouse, maybe. Or, for the jazz guys, Bix Beiderbeck.

If you had to pick a Radiohead song to be embarrassed by, that's a good one--but why on earth would you be embarrassed by Modest Mouse?

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #15
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl

Embarassing songs - selected cuts off the Britney Spears greatest hits CD (I love listening to it at the beach for some reason), tons of super cheesy 80's pop (including Debbie Gibson, who I actually saw in concert when I was in high school...), and the Chipmunks Christmas CD

Don't you find it funny that someone can put out a couple of albums and have a greatest hits album? Can't Britney have a long career before she has a whole album of greatest hits?

As for songs I like, there's some Kenny G songs I like, and Informer by Snow. Although, I like In Living Color's version better.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:58 PM   #16
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I can't say that I'm embarrassed about any music I like. I would only be embarrassed if I liked some of the stuff other people like. And I assume the same could be said for what people would think of what I like. But as far as me judging my own tastes...it's all good.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-03-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:00 PM   #17
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I enjoy the Boys of Summer cover by Ataris.

I promise it's only because they reference Black Flag.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:00 PM   #18
King of New York
High School Varsity

Ozzy Osbourne: Flying High Again

What's wrong with liking this song? Nothing, if you're a pimply faced fourteen-year-old boy who idolizes reality-TV-show buffoons. Everything, if you are anything else.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:06 PM   #19
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
Maple Leafs apparently has a lot of Broadway Musicals on his Ipod...
I recently deleted those. But yes, I had a few from Les Mis on there.

I have quite a bit of 80's stuff, including one by Mitsou. The Canadian guys know who she is, trust me. At one point I had "Man in Motion", "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover", and some Milli Vanilli. I also download "We Built This City" just tonight, but haven't put it on the iPod yet.

I also have several theme songs from various computer games from my youth, including some that have since been remixed.

Thread over. I win.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 08-03-2006 at 10:09 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:10 PM   #20
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
(including Debbie Gibson, who I actually saw in concert when I was in high school...)

I took my high school girlfriend to see her at Six Flags over Georgia. I had never been to a concert where people sat down, so when she started a ballad, I was the only person in the place still standing and my GF was desperately trying to get me to sit, and I kept arguing with her that we are at a concert, people don't sit at concerts, what the hell's wrong with everybody. I don't think the rest of the night went as I had hoped...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:12 PM   #21
vtbub
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister

A foul, a foul!

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:12 PM   #22
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
I recently deleted those. But yes, I had a few from Les Mis on there.

I have quite a bit of 80's stuff, including one by Mitsou. The Canadian guys know who she is, trust me. At one point I had "Man in Motion", "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover", and some Milli Vanilli. I also download "We Built This City" just tonight, but haven't put it on the iPod yet.

I also have several theme songs from various computer games from my youth, including some that have since been remixed.

Thread over. I win.

wait, i may be able to top that...i have the Airwolf title track....judges...can we get a ruling...
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:13 PM   #23
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
I took my high school girlfriend to see her at Six Flags over Georgia. I had never been to a concert where people sat down, so when she started a ballad, I was the only person in the place still standing and my GF was desperately trying to get me to sit, and I kept arguing with her that we are at a concert, people don't sit at concerts, what the hell's wrong with everybody. I don't think the rest of the night went as I had hoped...

I hear that.

Granted I am a crazy stage diver that no one likes at most concerts so I probably can't talk but hey, who cares.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:15 PM   #24
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:

when i read this post, i was thinking "Wow...that IS pretty bad"...then i looked over and saw it was from Oliegirl.

then i saw maple leafs' jefferson starship title, and had exactly the same thought.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:16 PM   #25
vtbub
College Starter

I'm very proud that I'm a pop ballad junkie.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:17 PM   #26
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana
then i saw maple leafs' jefferson starship title, and had exactly the same thought.
You've been talking to my wife, haven't you?
Old 08-03-2006, 10:18 PM   #27
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

downloaded just last night: Tracey Ullman - "They Don't Know"
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:19 PM   #28
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
You've been talking to my wife, haven't you?

no, i just remember a poll from somewhere a couplemonths ago that voted that song the worst song of all time...that said...i do know all the words.

edit: just realized i was talking about the OTHER horrible starship song from mannequin in this post....differnt song...same awful music

Last edited by saldana : 08-03-2006 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:22 PM   #29
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
no, i just remember a poll from somewhere a couplemonths ago that voted that song the worst song of all time...that said...i do know all the words.
Yeah, I saw the video a few nights ago and thought "I really need to have that". It's terrible. No collection is complete without it.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:34 PM   #30
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Beautiful by Christina Aguilera.

*hangs head*
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:37 PM   #31
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Beautiful by Christina Aguilera.

*hangs head*

Oh man, I have to admit you are not the only one that likes that song.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:41 PM   #32
Anthony
Banned

i like two songs i'm embarassed about:

1. Ain't No Other Man, by Christina Aguilera. it's got a sexy beat and i saw the video so i picture the video in my head everytime i hear the song. she got sexy again.

2. Happy Ending, by Avril Lavigne. the music and lyrics and overall performance is of a higher calibre than your standard teen pop fair. every time this song is on the radio i'll listen to it, which is a compliment.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:45 PM   #33
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
I enjoy the Boys of Summer cover by Ataris.

I promise it's only because they reference Black Flag.

I am with you here............It goes downhill from there for me though.

I also like "All out of love" by Air Supply and "Incomplete" by the Backstreet Boys....................sigh, and I can't even claim any cool references in either song............
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:48 PM   #34
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Safety Dance & 8675309 & Everything Enya
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 08-03-2006 at 10:51 PM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:49 PM   #35
Wasabiak
High School Varsity

This is embarrasing, but..........I have this song on my mp3 player.

Kiss Me, Sixpence None The Richer

Ugh
Wasabiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:53 PM   #36
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
wait, i may be able to top that...i have the Airwolf title track....judges...can we get a ruling...

I have Ladybug Picnic.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:53 PM   #37
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
Damn you Tommy Tutone!! fine...1111111, hello Lois? damn...1111112, hello Lois?
Old 08-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #38
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
i like two songs i'm embarassed about:

1. Ain't No Other Man, by Christina Aguilera. it's got a sexy beat and i saw the video so i picture the video in my head everytime i hear the song. she got sexy again.

I'll see your Ain't No Other Man, and raise you Pon de Replay, SOS, Lady Marmelade, Man! I Feel Like A Woman!, and Free Your Mind.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:59 PM   #39
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Crow's Mt. Rushmore of songs I'm too embarassed to admit I like (well the first line):

"Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl..."
"Where it began, I can't begin to know when..."
"I was tired of my lady, we'd been together too long..."
"I know your eyes in the morning sun..."

Now, name these tunes!
Old 08-03-2006, 11:04 PM   #40
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

I am embarassed by nothing on my iPod. Mrs. SpeechCoach is very embarassed by what I listen to. I have a playlist called "Annoying Music."
Wuthering Heights - Kate Bush
Born Free - Andy Williams
See You Round Like A Record - Little Nell
Little Ole' Man (Uptight Alright) - Bill Cosby
Wild Thing - Senator Bobby
Undercover Angel - Bobby O'Dell
Kookie Lend Me Your Comb - Edd Byrnes
Some William Shatner, etc.

To me, this is the greatest playlist of all time.

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:07 PM   #41
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14
I am with you here............It goes downhill from there for me though.

I also like "All out of love" by Air Supply and "Incomplete" by the Backstreet Boys....................sigh, and I can't even claim any cool references in either song............

Well hey, we at least have one support group.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:14 PM   #42
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow
Crow's Mt. Rushmore of songs I'm too embarassed to admit I like (well the first line):

Now, name these tunes!

Damn, I can at least recognize two songs. The first and last. Copacobana and How Deep is Your Love. I know of the first song since it used to be overplayed when I was younger, but I actually love the Bee Gees song. Have that in my collection as well. The other two songs, I am not familiar with.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:18 PM   #43
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin

I don't know about jazz at all, but Creep was a GREAT song. I like Modest Mouse also.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:20 PM   #44
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSpeechCoach
Some William Shatner, etc.

To me, this is the greatest playlist of all time.

William Shatner...ouch!! Though I must admit, the video of Rocket man is one strangely fascinating trainwreck.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:23 PM   #45
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow

Now, name these tunes!

I can fill in (sort of) the other two. The second one is Neil himself, I believe Sweet Caroline but I'm not positive. The third one is the Pina Colada Song by Rupert Holmes.

There's nothing to win. Just knowing this is a loss.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:36 AM   #46
MrBug708
Head Coach

One night in Bangkok. Thanks to wikipedia, I learned it was from a musical!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:41 AM   #47
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang

Ok, I liked Safety Dance and Enya....
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:00 AM   #48
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14
William Shatner...ouch!! Though I must admit, the video of Rocket man is one strangely fascinating trainwreck.

If only I knew how to rip audio from YouTube...

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:21 AM   #49
Groundhog
Coordinator

Shatner's album with Ben Folds was a thing of beauty however. Great from start to finish.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:03 AM   #50
Vince
Pro Starter

I'm extraordinarily ashamed to admit that I actually like the song Skater Boy by Avril Lavigne. It pains me to type this.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote