Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-12-2003, 10:58 AM   #151
Philliesfan980
Banned

Actually, loading the bases in that situation makes sense. Provides a force at any base and/or sets up the double play.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 11:26 AM   #152
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by JonInMiddleGA
Which is what I thought he was saying when I saw the clip for the first time. Unless he admits differently, that's still what I think he was saying.
My assumption was that he was saying something along the lines of "If I was throwing at you, it wouldn't be in your back, it would be here." Which is still bad, but not quite as bad as "next at bat, it's in your temple" which is what people seem to assume.

Anyways, I'd be willing to bet there were about a dozen death threats made during the melee. You don't think some Yankees were telling Pedro they'd be waiting for him in the parking lot? If you're going to throw Pedro out for a threat, you need to throw everyone out... unless you think playing charades somehow makes it worse.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 12:30 PM   #153
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
My assumption was that he was saying something along the lines of "If I was throwing at you, it wouldn't be in your back, it would be here." Which is still bad, but not quite as bad as "next at bat, it's in your temple" which is what people seem to assume.

Anyways, I'd be willing to bet there were about a dozen death threats made during the melee. You don't think some Yankees were telling Pedro they'd be waiting for him in the parking lot? If you're going to throw Pedro out for a threat, you need to throw everyone out... unless you think playing charades somehow makes it worse.

The problem is that Pedro has a reputation for head-hunting. Pedro routinely leads the league in hit batmen despite having good enough control to only walk fifty guys a year while striking out two-fifty to three hundred. He never hits people with curves or changes either.

Guys earn their reputations. The Braves and Mets had a pretty big rivalry going there while the Mets were decent. If Greg Maddux or John Smoltz had put the ball in Mike Piazza's earhole, no one would have made a peep about it. Roger Clemens has earned his rep too, however.

I listened to the game on the radio. So I only have the descriptions. But I have to agree with those here that say that with all that foolishneess, somebody should have been tossed.

Actually, as a Yankee fan, it's a better result that Pedro stayed in for 100 pitches. As others have stated, his velocity was down. It certainly bodes better than if he had been ejected early-- if a game seven should come to pass.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 03:12 PM   #154
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

LOL.. this is getting STUPID.

From the latest update on ESPN.Com's main page

New York's mayor says Pedro should have been arrested for tossing aside Zim..

I guess in New York City, self-defense is a crime. Kinda explains Central Park after dark, neh?
Old 10-12-2003, 03:42 PM   #155
Philliesfan980
Banned

If Pedro is to be arrested for self defense. What do you do about Garcia who attacked someone who was being held down by police. I hate New Yorkers. There I said it, and I think most people in America would hate them too if it weren't for the 9/11 disaster.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 03:47 PM   #156
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oh, THAT is a New York City tradition
Old 10-12-2003, 03:48 PM   #157
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by SirFozzie
New York's mayor says Pedro should have been arrested for tossing aside Zim.

What a joke. Pedro would be arrested for defending himself in New York but Nelson and Garcia would be heros for attacking a Red Sox fan.

Last edited by mckerney : 10-12-2003 at 03:57 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 03:56 PM   #158
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney
What a joke. Pedro would be arrested for defending himself in New York but Nelson and Garcia would be heros for attackig a Red Sox fan.

Employee rooting for the team that pays him.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 05:47 PM   #159
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by oykib
Actually, as a Yankee fan, it's a better result that Pedro stayed in for 100 pitches. As others have stated, his velocity was down. It certainly bodes better than if he had been ejected early-- if a game seven should come to pass.

Actually, after hitting Garcia, Pedro went on to retire the last 10 batters he faced.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 08:20 PM   #160
PineTar
High School JV

Does anyone recall when Randy Johnson was pitching for Seattle that a similar situation arose between Johnson and Kenny Lofton (then of the Indians)?

Johnson lost control of one that sailed over Lofton's head. Lofton stepped out of the batter's box and jawed at Johnson. Johnson stepped off the rubber and motioned at his own head, uttering something along the lines of "Hey, if I wanted to bean, it would have gone in your earhole!". Garcia overreacted much in the same manner that Lofton did in the incident I just detailed. End of story. There is no way that Martinez gives a free pass via beaning to a journeyman like Garcia in the middle of a tight playoff game. No. Fucking. Way. Get over it Yankee lovers.

Exact same thing w/ Pedro jawing at the Yankees bench. Tim McCarver is a paid Yankees employee that has no f-ing business being in the booth for a nationally televised playoff game. He has a proven lack of objectivity (anyone remember his tift w/ Deion Sanders?).
PineTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 09:03 PM   #161
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Logan
Actually, after hitting Garcia, Pedro went on to retire the last 10 batters he faced.

Yeah, but he was already down two runs. The Red Sox didn't come back either. I wouldn't have been fighting mad if he'd been ejected. But, after the fact, it's a much better result that he wasn't. Pedro threw another 30 or so pitches to those ten guys. That's not as many as I would have liked to have seen. But it's better than him finishing with a total of seventy.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 02:36 AM   #162
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by PineTar
Johnson lost control of one that sailed over Lofton's head. Lofton stepped out of the batter's box and jawed at Johnson. Johnson stepped off the rubber and motioned at his own head, uttering something along the lines of "Hey, if I wanted to bean, it would have gone in your earhole!". Garcia overreacted much in the same manner that Lofton did in the incident I just detailed. End of story. There is no way that Martinez gives a free pass via beaning to a journeyman like Garcia in the middle of a tight playoff game. No. Fucking. Way. Get over it Yankee lovers.
Let's see . . . I have no love for the Yankees that I'm aware of so perhaps you can extract that cranium from that rectum before making sweeping judgements on people just because they happen to disagree with you.

As far as your comparison goes there are a few problems with it. For one, Johnson and Lofton are both lefties. When someone like Johnson who tends to sling the ball loses control of one, it will sail inside . . . hence, being closer to Lofton than he possibly meant. Martinez, on the other hand, is a righthander. As he also slings the ball, if it was a pitch he lost control of, it would've either sailed toward the righthanded batter's box or way past Garcia. Not a straight pitch right at Garcia's head or neck area. A second thing is control. Martinez has better control than Johnson does, even though Johnson has really become solid with his control.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:39 AM   #163
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Fine, I won't quit kicking your cat, you feminine, cat-loving, ass-pirate.

I am answering FTB questions, having a few glasses of belgian trippel, and feeling nostalgic.

I really miss Marmel.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:02 AM   #164
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Mercy, it's been over a year since he was last logged in. I wonder what happened?
Old 05-04-2007, 09:38 AM   #165
JeeberD
General Manager

He doesn't like the SD administration and vowed to not come back as long as he was in charge...

*shrug*

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote