Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-01-2006, 06:34 PM   #851
SackAttack
Head Coach

jb, from what I understand it's likely Lowe and Kuo in Games 1 and 2 so that Maddux can pitch at Dodger Stadium for Game 3.

Which means, I'd guess, that Brad Penny will be the Game 4 starter, if necessary.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:39 PM   #852
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
jb, from what I understand it's likely Lowe and Kuo in Games 1 and 2 so that Maddux can pitch at Dodger Stadium for Game 3.

Which means, I'd guess, that Brad Penny will be the Game 4 starter, if necessary.

There also talks that Penny might move to the bullpen because of his health.

I am hoping Penny can get back to his old form with some rest.

At least we play Wednesday.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:21 PM   #853
SackAttack
Head Coach

Wouldn't surprise me. In a short series, Lowe can go twice, which means we only need three other pitchers. Kuo and Maddux make two. Billingsley could be on the postseason roster, as could Eric Stults if Penny gets left off 'til the NLCS.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:34 PM   #854
Logan
Head Coach

I've probably presented myself to be much more confident in this NYM-LA series than I actually am. I really don't think there's a comparison between the two teams, talent-wise. If this was a best of 15 series, I would think the Mets would have it clinched by game 11. My concern is that the Mets haven't been pushed hard all season, and haven't played many important games. Combine that with a short series and it could be real trouble.

Actually just had this conversation with one of the guys I have a Sunday plan with:

Friend: Gotta say, I'm completely uninterested in the Mets right now.
Me: Once game 1 comes, the energy will be back.
Friend: All I can see right now is scarlet (Knights of Rutgers).
Me: Yeah, this was actually a good time for the bye week. By the time the next game comes, the Mets will be long gone.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:54 PM   #855
SackAttack
Head Coach

Grumble. I didn't watch the Padres/Diamondbacks game, but Jeff Passan over at Yahoo! Sports had this to say about the ending:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Passan
Padres closer Trevor Hoffman seemed like he wanted to repeat his Los Angeles debacle, giving up ninth-inning home runs to Chad Tracy and Conor Jackson. With the score 7-6 and a runner on first, a ball was hit to second baseman Josh Barfield, who made a diving stop. Barfield threw to first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, but Gonzalez, seeing that Alberto Callaspo was going to be safe at first, cut the ball off and threw it to second base. Khalil Greene, straddling the bag, tried to place the tag on rookie Chris Young. The tag was late, and even so, he could have just stepped on the bag for the force. He didn't.

For some reason, though, the umpiring crew thought Greene's foot was on the bag and called Young out. So a 4-3-6 force out ends the regular season.

If true, that's really, really lame. How do you miss the difference between straddling the bag and touching the bag? It's not like it's a double play situation where that hated "in the vicinity" ruling comes into play.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:58 PM   #856
Poli
FOFC Survivor

As a softball midfielder, I love the "in the vicinity" play.

As a runner, I hate the "in the vicinity" play.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:50 AM   #857
SackAttack
Head Coach

My problem with "in the vicinity" is it should be contextual.

A phantom swipe with the runner still 30 feet away = bullshit.

Phantom swipe when the guy's at the bag, sliding spikes high to break up the double play = I have less of a problem with that.

An umpire crew deciding that "in the vicinity" means "he missed the tag, but give him the out anyway" is garbage and should cost them any playoff assignments they might have otherwise enjoyed.

If, of course, that's what happened - and I don't know if it is, but it's egregious enough that there ought to be repercussions.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:49 AM   #858
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
Clinching playoff's is one thing.. avoiding the yankee's and playing the a's instead by winning your division.. is quite another

I'm not sure the Tigers are going to fair well in the playoffs anyway, but I think I'd rather play the Yankees in a 5 game series than the A's. I'm not so much worried that the Tigers got swept as much as how it happened. They blew two games they had a commanding lead in, then came back in the other only to not be able to complete the comeback. Against a shitty team.

If only that shitty team had pushed 1 run across against the Twins in the top of the 9th last week with the bases loaded and no one out...oh well. I was going to be rooting like hell against the Yankees anyway, so why not have someone to root for!

My general rooting interests this post-season:

American League
Tigers
A's (like to see them at least advance to the WS if not win b/c Beane deserves to have the albatross removed)
Twins (I won't be rooting against them unless they play the Tigers)
Natural Disaster Wipes Out the World Series
Yankees

National League
Padres
Dodgers
Mets
Cardinals
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:33 AM   #859
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

"I'm gone. I won't be back," Baker told the Chicago Tribune after the Cubs' 8-5 win over the Rockies on Sunday. "Somebody's got to take the blame, and it might as well be me."

What a class act. As if Dusty wasn't involved in bringing in the same kinds of bad hit, no walk players he's always had, and wasn't symptomatic of the way the entire organization teaches hitters. No, this was all about Prior and Wood's injuries, or else Dusty would have taken them to the playoffs! Riiiiiiight.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-02-2006 at 08:34 AM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:08 AM   #860
Radii
Head Coach

haha I don't care what Dusty says on his way out, just the fact that he's ON HIS WAY OUT has made my day! That's just great, great news.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:14 AM   #861
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
haha I don't care what Dusty says on his way out, just the fact that he's ON HIS WAY OUT has made my day! That's just great, great news.

Yeah, I was actually one of the bigger Dusty defenders around. But I think it's time to try something different. Dusty just hasn't brought what most thought he would bring - a laid-back clubhouse in which big free agents wanted to play.

So let's do something different. Come back to Chicago, Mr. Girardi!