Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:36 PM   #252
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
I'll go with gutsy - at Tennessee, they have to figure they won't survive overtime.

I'd go with gutsy as well. Haven't seen the game yet, or even highlights (will in 2.5 hours!), but it sounds like neither team was stopping the other.

The tie may force overtime, but the lead forces UT to go downfield with not much time on the clock. Overtime may have extended the game for Air Force, but the opportunity to win there is huge.

WHY the heck did UT get the ball at the 1 to start the 2nd half? Muffed kickoff?
Old 09-09-2006, 11:36 PM   #253
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Tech wins the toss, so UTEP will start on Offense
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:36 PM   #254
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

damn fresno scores a td on 4th and goal
Old 09-09-2006, 11:39 PM   #255
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Texas coaching staff: These guys played WAY too conservatively. They needed to stretch the field more and pound the ball when the safeties and linebackers backed off.

Welcome to Mack Brown Coaching 101. The guy doesn't have Vince Young to bail him out this year and will be once again exposed as the terrible game coach that he is.

By the way...what happened to Mack's mouth in the 2nd half? Did he get run over by a player? Or punched out by a frustrated fan?
Old 09-09-2006, 11:40 PM   #256
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
No problem. I am just a bit defensive of refs now. I just started doing High School Varsity, Quad A, and I have a whole new respect for those who do college and NFL. I think the high school game is fast, I cant imagine how fast the game is at the next 2 levels.

When I move on to civilian life, if I don't get into coaching at some level, I'll seriously consider being a referee.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:40 PM   #257
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I for one would not want to try to defend texas tech's offense in an OT ...

GL utep
Old 09-09-2006, 11:44 PM   #258
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
INT for UTEP. All Tech has to do is kick a FG to win.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:47 PM   #259
cartman
Death Herald

WOW! Holding on Tech negates a TD. Then an excessive celebration penalty because they thought they won moves it back another 15.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:48 PM   #260
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

wow is right

SI

Old 09-09-2006, 11:48 PM   #261
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

jeez... this is crazy lol
Old 09-09-2006, 11:48 PM   #262
cartman
Death Herald

Tech is going to try a 48 FG for the win
Old 09-09-2006, 11:49 PM   #263
cartman
Death Herald

It bounces off the upright...

and through for the win.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:49 PM   #264
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

game. utep deserved this one ouch.

Last edited by k0ruptr : 09-09-2006 at 11:50 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:49 PM   #265
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

SI

Old 09-09-2006, 11:50 PM   #266
cartman
Death Herald

The last minute of regular time and Tech's OT possession were some of the strangest football I've ever witnessed.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:50 PM   #267
kingfc22
Head Coach

What a stupid play by Fresno St. Don't touch the freaking ball and you have possession.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:51 PM   #268
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

HAAHAH that was awesome.. go ducks WOOHOO TD

Last edited by k0ruptr : 09-09-2006 at 11:51 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:55 PM   #269
cartman
Death Herald

stupid penalty there by the Oregon guy
Old 09-09-2006, 11:58 PM   #270
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
stupid penalty there by the Oregon guy

At least you got this one right. You were way off base on the UT/tOSU one though. 1-1 for the night thus far, 50% is good, right?
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:59 PM   #271
Arctus
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
It's not about turning up the pressure. It's about getting the most information possible. If you make it, you only need one more score. If you miss it, you'll need two more scores. It's better to get this information sooner rather than later if you ask me.

I'd rather the other coach not have the info, and be in less of a position to draw time off of the clock.
Arctus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:01 AM   #272
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctus View Post
I'd rather the other coach not have the info, and be in less of a position to draw time off of the clock.

This info is irrelevent, the opposing coach knows he has to take time off the clock no matter what, the more the better, so in this case its better for the trailing team to know what they have to have on the final drive.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:19 AM   #273
CenTex
n00b

I think McCoy played really, really well considering it was only his second start. I think he played as well as anyone could reasonably expect him to play. No one could expect him to be THE Texas offense. His job is to get the ball to his playmakers and let them make the plays. When I think back on tonight and see how many key drives were killed by DROPPED passes it blows me away. And of course Pittman's fumble was very costly. I know McCoy threw an interception but you can't expect him to be perfect. I think Vince spoiled too many people, because now they expect McCoy to replace him. Nobody replaces Vince Young. McCoy was not going to put up big numbers tonight. I knew that, but if the rest of the Texas offensive would have made their plays they could have still been successful.

The Texas defense really had serious issues tonight and it went beyond two starters missing from their secondary. That was a big part of it but not everything. I think the distractions of Brown being out affected the whole defense. This was probably the weakest performance I have seen from them in 2-3 years.

I am not taking ANYTHING away from how OSU played tonight. They did everything right and made very few mistakes and none that were costly. OSU definitely showed tonight that they deserve to be number one.

I think Texas will bounce back and be fine this year. I never expected them to win a national championship this year. It is good that they lost early. It will be a kick in the ass and might actually help them have a more successful overall season. A Big XII Championship and BCS bowl game are still very realistic goals. With a freshman QB taking the snaps I don't think any Texas fan could ever ask for more than that. This is definitely an off year for Texas due to their QB situation, but they will only get better. I don't expect them to finish a season out of the national title hunt anytime soon.
CenTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:20 AM   #274
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Touchdown fresno st. 24-24 with just under 11:00 to play
Old 09-10-2006, 12:23 AM   #275
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
At least you got this one right. You were way off base on the UT/tOSU one though. 1-1 for the night thus far, 50% is good, right?

if by reading the letter of the rule is "way off", then you'd be right.

Like I sent links to, the NCAA rule is not the same as the NFL rule. In the NFL, that wouldn't have been called. Intent/leading with the helmet does not come into play in the NCAA. All it takes is for the initial contact of tackler to be his helmet/facemask hitting the other player's helmet/facemask. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

And, as I admitted earlier, I'm sure it happens many times during the course of the game, but it is most evident happening to a QB standing in the pocket as opposed to another player running downfield. The ref is standing near the QB, and helmet to helmet contact makes a pretty distinct sound. If he determines that sound comes before pad on pad contact or arm on body contact, he's gonna make the call everytime. I can almost guarantee you that the ref made the call on the sounds he heard, since it was a bang/bang play. He didn't get the luxury of getting to see it in slo-mo from different angles.

So yeah, I was way off base.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:24 AM   #276
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
This info is irrelevent, the opposing coach knows he has to take time off the clock no matter what, the more the better, so in this case its better for the trailing team to know what they have to have on the final drive.
Word.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:28 AM   #277
Arctus
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

Being down by two scores puts you at a larger disadvantage than not knowing whether you are down 1 or 2.

Your game plan remains identical if you are trailing by 7 or 8. You need to speed things up some if you are down by 9.

I think its very advantageous to make sure you are within one score.

I guess we'll agree to disagree on this.
Arctus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:31 AM   #278
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Ah, I didn't know the score. I retract my use of the word, "Word."
Old 09-10-2006, 12:32 AM   #279
cartman
Death Herald

Nice fake FG there by the Ducks to get the TD.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:34 AM   #280
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

if by reading the letter of the rule is "way off", then you'd be right.

Like I sent links to, the NCAA rule is not the same as the NFL rule. In the NFL, that wouldn't have been called. Intent/leading with the helmet does not come into play in the NCAA. All it takes is for the initial contact of tackler to be his helmet/facemask hitting the other player's helmet/facemask. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

And, as I admitted earlier, I'm sure it happens many times during the course of the game, but it is most evident happening to a QB standing in the pocket as opposed to another player running downfield. The ref is standing near the QB, and helmet to helmet contact makes a pretty distinct sound. If he determines that sound comes before pad on pad contact or arm on body contact, he's gonna make the call everytime. I can almost guarantee you that the ref made the call on the sounds he heard, since it was a bang/bang play. He didn't get the luxury of getting to see it in slo-mo from different angles.

So yeah, I was way off base.

There is nothing in the rule you quoted that was done, so yes, you were way off base. in YOUR opinion there was a helmet to helmet hit, unfortunately for you, that is not backed up by the replay evidence shown on not one but two different analysis shows. The commentators (while normally rather moronic) disagreed with the penalty and the analists at the ESPN game center show disagreed with it as well.

The film shows the facemasks meeting after initial contact with arms and chest, its physically impossible for two players to meet chest to chest without their helmets meeting also, this is NOT a penalty based on that rule.

The official obviously isn't going to make that call every time as the same sound was made on a number of hits throughout the contest and only 1 call was made.

So again, based on the facts of the play the call was completely wrong and so were your comments on it.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:05 AM   #281
cartman
Death Herald

Wow, what was I thinking? Based on this photo from the game last night, how in the world could it even be thought that maybe it was a helmet to helmet hit? That ref sure did blow the call, considering he had to make the decision in game time, without the aid of freeze-frame, multiple camera angle replays, or being able to ask the guys back in the studio. Maybe he didn't realize that McCoy has a misshapen head that causes his facemask to slide to one side of his face and up towards his forehead. What a complete and utterly horrendous call by the ref.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:30 AM   #282
HerRealName
College Prospect

That isn't even the play in question. The penalty was called on Jay Richardson a DE, not Grant a LB.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:34 AM   #283
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
...The commentators (while normally rather moronic) disagreed with the penalty and the analists at the ESPN game center show disagreed with it as well.

This is 100% wrong . The announcers at first were complaining about that call, but then after the commercial break Bob Davie saw the replay again and said "by the technicality of the rule, that is the right call..." (soon after he commented how it's impossible to coach that rule... which may not be untrue).

But to say the announcers disagreed with cartman's position is a flat-out lie.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:37 AM   #284
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Wow, what was I thinking? Based on this photo from the game last night, how in the world could it even be thought that maybe it was a helmet to helmet hit? That ref sure did blow the call, considering he had to make the decision in game time, without the aid of freeze-frame, multiple camera angle replays, or being able to ask the guys back in the studio. Maybe he didn't realize that McCoy has a misshapen head that causes his facemask to slide to one side of his face and up towards his forehead. What a complete and utterly horrendous call by the ref.

This isn't even the play.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:48 AM   #285
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
That isn't even the play in question. The penalty was called on Jay Richardson a DE, not Grant a LB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
This isn't even the play.

Partly I found this was really funny. Partly I wanted to try out multi-quote.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:53 AM   #286
cartman
Death Herald

Yep, y'all are correct. They've fixed the quote below the pic on the Statesman website already as well. That was the hit he took earlier in the same drive.

Last edited by cartman : 09-10-2006 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:06 AM   #287
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Yep, y'all are correct. They've fixed the quote below the pic on the Statesman website already as well. That was the hit he took earlier in the same drive.

Thanks for posting the pic though. All it does is prove the point I was making all along. If the play in the photo wasn't a penalty, neither is the hit the DL put on him.

My opnion stands, it was a terrible call at a terrible time. To put it simply, it was a flat out joke. I do back down about the firing though. A nice three game suspension where he watches football and gets proper interpretation of the rule should be fine. Oh, and he doesn't ref a team in the top 25 for two or three years until they figure out his eyesight is OK.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:08 AM   #288
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post

My opnion stands, it was a terrible call at a terrible time. To put it simply, it was a flat out joke. I do back down about the firing though. A nice three game suspension where he watches football and gets proper interpretation of the rule should be fine. Oh, and he doesn't ref a team in the top 25 for two or three years until they figure out his eyesight is OK.

So you will probably see him at a lot of Colorado games then....

Old 09-10-2006, 10:13 AM   #289
cartman
Death Herald

And the award for the most inconsistent team of the year (so far) goes to...

Montana State, Div. 1AA

A week after beating Div. 1A Colorado 19-10, they host Div. II Chadron State and lose 35-14
Old 09-10-2006, 03:28 PM   #290
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Nice fake FG there by the Ducks to get the TD.

That was an inspired call by the Ducks. It was a thing of beauty. The Bulldogs were overplaying for the block. They had, after all, been "successful" blocking a kick earlier in the game.

Speaking of the blocked field goal. Hill said that he and coaches had corrected the two players who went for the ball for making the same mistake earlier in the week during practice.

As for my impression of Fresno at this point. They were certainly in the game, and might have even gotten away with a win. I think the Ducks exposed the bulldog secondary, and moved the ball freely through the air. The Dog's O-Line was great, and I'm having difficulty with the fact that Paul Pinegar kept Tom Brandstater on the bench. Brandstater impressed me most by running effectively, mainly by picking and choosing his opportunities.

OH and was the call on the fumbled forward pass as bad as it looked from the stands?
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:48 PM   #291
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen View Post
good god washington sucks.
This is a surprise to you? Have you not noticed they were 3-19 over the last 2 seasons?

Quote:
they are so slow. peterson is great already but they are making him look unstoppable, like he has a cheat code. anytime he hits a hole with speed it's an automatic 8 yards at least
Washington lacks speed, though they are getting better. The LB's this year are a faster group than they've had in a while, but they're also young and inexperienced and prone to over-run plays and not read the flow as quickly as a more experienced player.

We actually have some pretty good speed on the edges, especially Greyson Gunheim (a H.S. RB), and LB Chris Stevens has real good speed - he's the one that caused the fumble on Thompson.

The secondary is awful though. Lewis was supposed to be better, and Goldson was looked at as a potential NFL guy after converting from S, but he's been hobbled by a high-ankle sprain. Wallace is good in run-support, but not so great in pass coverage, and Wells is a newcomer from the JC ranks.

The DL has potential, but they took a big blow when man-mountain Jordan White-Frisbee suffered a setback with his foot injury - he was being counted on to be a major run-stuffer in the middle at 6'6", 330 lbs with good athleticism. Now it looks like he'll be moved to OT when he heals.

In all, I was pleased at how Washington started the game, and I think progress is being made. However, the secondary is a major concern, especially facing Pac-10 offenses. And Stanback is a maddening QB - so much athletic ability, but so many questionable decisions on the field. If he'd had better coaching his first couple of years, he might be closer to a Vince Young/Michael Vick kind of talent, but right now he's not even Brad Smith.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:54 PM   #292
Swaggs
Coordinator

NC State Cartoon starring Chuck Amato. Safe for work, but it plays music.

http://www.newsobserver.com/1235/story/481010.html
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:54 PM   #293
Butter
Coordinator

Mack Brown now says the new clock rule eliminated his team's chances of coming back... "they scored with six minutes left and the game was over before we had a chance to do anything".

Hey Mack, you had 54 minutes before that to do something, and the most you could get was a TD aided by a questionable roughing the passer call. How's about you quit whining and take the beating like a man.

FTR, he is right that the rule sucks though, but it had no bearing on the outcome of this game.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:17 PM   #294
cartman
Death Herald

Well, OSU only outgained Texas by about 20 yards in the game, so it wasn't like Texas wasn't able to move the ball, they just couldn't score. I guess the fumble at the 2 negated the whole rest of the drive before that. The Texas defense was strong in the 2nd half, holding OSU to around 100 yards, with most of that (~70 yards) coming on one drive. Since Texas didn't answer that final OSU score, the new clock rules didn't have an effect on the outcome. But if these rules were in place last season, USC would have won the Rose Bowl.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:27 PM   #295
scooper
College Benchwarmer

This new rule absolutely sucks balls. But Ohio St. played under the same circumstances.

Don't want to get screwed by the rules? Don't fall behind.

As for the rule: Want the games shorter? How about fewer commericals, not less football?
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:31 PM   #296
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper View Post
This new rule absolutely sucks balls. But Ohio St. played under the same circumstances.

Don't want to get screwed by the rules? Don't fall behind.

As for the rule: Want the games shorter? How about fewer commericals, not less football?

No way there are going to be fewer commercials. It was TV clamoring for the shorter games, not the fans, players or coaches. That is why there isn't much love for the new rules.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:44 PM   #297
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
So you will probably see him at a lot of Colorado games then....

Yep, I'm good with that. That'd serve as a duel punishment, anyone who is forced to watch a lot of CU games may want to just end it all anyway.

Oh well. Things can only get better.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:47 PM   #298
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Mack Brown now says the new clock rule eliminated his team's chances of coming back... "they scored with six minutes left and the game was over before we had a chance to do anything".

Hey Mack, you had 54 minutes before that to do something, and the most you could get was a TD aided by a questionable roughing the passer call. How's about you quit whining and take the beating like a man.

FTR, he is right that the rule sucks though, but it had no bearing on the outcome of this game.
Well, what else are you gonna say when you're not a good game coach?