Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-05-2006, 09:02 AM   #1001
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
2. I am still not convinced that Vince Young will succeed in the pro game. Despite his dominance over the last few games, I just don't see it. He has a great completion percentage, but I have rarely seen him complete too many passes where his WR isn't wide open by a few yards. His passes seem to lack any sort of zip and he has that odd throwing motion. He has great speed and elusiveness, but Pro-level defensive players will be faster, bigger, and better tacklers than what he faced in college. He wont make almost everyone around him look like a smurf wading through pudding.

That's a good, level-headed analysis. Would most pro fans accept a passing game where the receivers have to be stationary in order for the QB to hit him? Would most pro fans accept a 'dumbed-down' playbook in order to keep it simple? Would most pro fans accept more of a "singlehandedly" show? What would happen to the game as defenses continue to get bigger, faster and stronger and the offensive weapons get fewer (or concentrated)? Probably the money people would for ratings and attendance and merchandise, and those are important too.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:07 AM   #1002
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
The best compliment that I can give Reggie Bush (and I am not even being sarcastic here) is when Dan Fouts compared him early on to Walter Payton, and I said to myself, "having just watched Bush run, I don't that that comparison was 100% off base."

I had a problem with that. We blast people for the Grant Hill/Jordan, Vince Carter/Jordan, Kobe/Jordan, LeBron/Jordan comparasions, but this was much worse. Fouts compared him favorably to both Barry Sanders and Walter Payton on one play. Now *that* is pressure. I kinda cringed when he said it. That said, I'd love for it to be right, it'd make the NFL even better.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:12 AM   #1003
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
If stats in bowl games now count as regular season stats then why is the Heisman awarded before the bowls?

Hell, the Heisman is awarded before the final week of the regular season for a lot of teams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
How can you, honestly? Best college player I have ever seen.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Jeeber was, in fact, referring to the second to last play where Bush got down to the Texas 40 yard-line. He meant it as in "He makes me frightened"

Bingo, RFUS.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:15 AM   #1004
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
I had a problem with that. We blast people for the Grant Hill/Jordan, Vince Carter/Jordan, Kobe/Jordan, LeBron/Jordan comparasions, but this was much worse. Fouts compared him favorably to both Barry Sanders and Walter Payton on one play. Now *that* is pressure. I kinda cringed when he said it. That said, I'd love for it to be right, it'd make the NFL even better.

In general, I totally agree with you. It really gets to me when a guy has one good game and the announcers start talking about him as the next coming of Bill Russell (actually, they never do, because they typical modern audience would have no idea who Bill Russell is. Jordan is the better comparison).

I think what I meant to say is when Fouts said the words "Walter Payton," I didn't think (as I normally do), "That is 100% totally wrong and borders on sacrilege." Instead, I thought "That has like a 0.5% component of truth to it." There is still no way he should have said it, and Bush has to prove A HECK OF A LOT before we should even mention words like Payton, Sanders, Sayers, etc.

But, on some level, I could see where the tiny, tiny seed of greatness was there. And, normally, you don't even have that much before people start pulling out the hyperbole.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:30 AM   #1005
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I think the Vince is similar to Randall Cunningham comparisions overlook Randall's lack of leadership abilities. Vince's teammates seem to love him, and I think he has much better intangibles than Randall did when he was a great scrambler. I loved Randall when I was a kid, but I think Vince has the potential to be better than him. I still think Bush should be the #1 pick, but I think Vince just took over the #1 QB taken. He may not live up to his potential, but his potential seems higher than Matt's now.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:56 AM   #1006
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I have only one thing to say to those saying Reggie Bush won't be able to handle the NFL game physically.. People also said that about Warrick Dunn, and I don't see how a 180 pound Dunn is any more durable than a 200 pound Bush. Secondly, I think averaging 8.7 yards a carry in Division I college football is just flat out insane.. Not only that, but Bush has the hands of a Ladainian Tomlinson or a Marshall Faulk.

And I have never seen a player who is that fast. He looked to me like he was twice as fast as any other player on the field, and I was only able to see the first half.. Seeing that touchdown in the second half was something I still can't understand. Unfathomable speed and shiftiness.

If I was a GM, I would give my entire draft for him.. If he were to have a serious injury early in his career, I wouldn't even be mad, but I would see it as a huge loss for the fans of the NFL.

But simply for the chance to watch him play for my team, I would give my entire draft.

Much the same for Vince Young. Regardless of how open his receivers were, you still have to realize he hit most of them in stride, on the numbers. That requires accuracy. Combine that with his ability to escape the rush, his size, and his poise.. Wow. He was just CLUTCH on the biggest stage he's ever been on, against a team that was being compared to the greatest ever.

If he comes out, this draft will be one of the most top heavy drafts I can think of. Unbelievable talent and depth in a lot of positions.

I wish I didn't have to go to work last night, and I regret not calling in.. I missed one of the best games ever played.

I'm a football fan, and I can't be more excited to see what these guys do on the next level.

Thats all I have.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:03 AM   #1007
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols
Much the same for Vince Young. Regardless of how open his receivers were, you still have to realize he hit most of them in stride, on the numbers. That requires accuracy.

He also forced a lot of receivers to their knees to catch his balls. He performed well, but again let's all remember that I think passing in an NFL offense requires one to be able to make all the throws... short, deep, bullet, touch... that is where Young will have the most trouble. I was most impressed with his use of the tight end and ability to hit the crossing receiver.... His skill set would seem to me to match the Tennessee Titans the best... they have good tight ends, and Norm Chow would most definitely get the most out of him. Sadly, the Titans have hitched their wagon to Billy Volek, so that probably won't happen.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:01 AM   #1008
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
He also forced a lot of receivers to their knees to catch his balls.

EXCELLENT wording I see what youre saying.. I think he would also fit the Jets or Saints though.. He will be proving or disproving a lot when the combine comes around.. Thank God for NFL network. This will be an incredibly exciting offseason.

EDIT: messed up the quote in my original post..

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 01-05-2006 at 11:02 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:18 PM   #1009
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
USC's defense is not good. If you can't see the correlation between great offense and the position that puts your defense in 95% of the time, then you don't understand football. When the games are close, the defense has done little to nothing to win games for that team. The offense has been forced to outscore the opponents. Look at how many times they've had to come back to win. The defense put them in that position; the offense bailed them out.
I will agree that USC's defense is not "great" - they clearly have had difficulty this year stopping very good offenses when needed. Part of that has been the tremendous amount of injuries they suffered this season on top of the big hit they took through graduation. Last night they were pretty much healthy, but they were facing an offense nearly as good as their own.

But I fail to see how you can quantify a team that finished in the top third of NCAA football in every defensive ranking "bad", unless you consider nearly every defense in college football bad. If USC's defense is "bad", what does that make Northwestern's defense?

And I understand the connection between offense and defense and vice versa quite well, thank you.

Quote:
And I don't think Texas' defense is all that great either, but the difference for me is that they showed up in the biggest games of the year prior to tonight, and they took on a legitimately great offense and still prevailed, whereas USC couldn't stop the one guy they needed to in order to win. I think Texas' D had the far greater challenge in trying to stop a half-dozen great players, as opposed to one or two.
USC and Texas both scored 50 points per game this season and both averaged over 500 yards per game. Both teams had legitimately great offenses. And while it sounds easy to say USC only had to stop one guy, that's not quite true (they have decent RB's and WR's) and it downplays the difficulty of stopping one guy when that one guy is a dual-threat QB.

The facts are that Texas, a team that gave up 280-some yards and 14 points during the season, surrendered 38 points and 570-some yards to a team that averaged 50 points and 580-some yards.

USC, a team that gave up 340-some yards and 23 points per game, gave up 41 points and 560-some yards to a team that averaged 50 points and 500-some yards per game.

I think the most accurate description is to say that both defenses were mediocre and couldn't stop either outstanding offense.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:07 PM   #1010
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I am also a skeptic of whether VY will be great at the next level. I've read things this morning where USC fully admitted they didn't bother to gameplan against him, instead preferring to think that their base defense was going to be enough to get the job done (which it nearly was, if you consider the fact that Texas only won by 3 and was a down away from losing the game). They didn't bother to set up a spy or anything, just let their rushers rush and sat back in zone coverages most of the night.

I was discussing with a co-worker this morning that VY was great because USC did a crappy job contaning him and if they did contain him, they did a crappy job tackling him. (This is not to denigrate or take away anything from what he did last night...he was other-worldly at times and even a weak NFL defense would have struggled with him) At the college level, Texas plays several great teams, several crappy teams, and several average teams. Even on those great teams, like USC, you're only facing a handful of NFL prospects. The NFL, however, has 32 53-man teams and ALL of them were great players in college, usually getting named to some all-conference or all-American list. On the defensive side of the ball, they can all run fast enough to catch him and they're all strong enough to bring him down.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:26 PM   #1011
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
I am also a skeptic of whether VY will be great at the next level. I've read things this morning where USC fully admitted they didn't bother to gameplan against him, instead preferring to think that their base defense was going to be enough to get the job done (which it nearly was, if you consider the fact that Texas only won by 3 and was a down away from losing the game). They didn't bother to set up a spy or anything, just let their rushers rush and sat back in zone coverages most of the night.

I was discussing with a co-worker this morning that VY was great because USC did a crappy job contaning him and if they did contain him, they did a crappy job tackling him. (This is not to denigrate or take away anything from what he did last night...he was other-worldly at times and even a weak NFL defense would have struggled with him) At the college level, Texas plays several great teams, several crappy teams, and several average teams. Even on those great teams, like USC, you're only facing a handful of NFL prospects. The NFL, however, has 32 53-man teams and ALL of them were great players in college, usually getting named to some all-conference or all-American list. On the defensive side of the ball, they can all run fast enough to catch him and they're all strong enough to bring him down.

In other words, no college player is any good because they never face enough NFL talent, right? Leinart is going to suck, too, because he hasn't faced NFL defense yet. Or can't you look at what a player has done, look at his skills, and project what his talent will be like on the next level. You know, like you do every college player.

Young has all the physical and mental skills he needs to compete on the next level. Give him a year to work behind someone, and let him develop, and he'll be a great NFL quarterback.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:27 PM   #1012
GrantDawg

dola: and if Carrol really didn't gameplan for Young, then that has to be the single stupidest coaching decision ever made before a championship game. Didn't plan against the teams best weapon? Smell like bs.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:37 PM   #1013
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I'm not saying anything of the sort. I just don't think his success is automatic like it seems like people are beginning to say. (All the "turn pro now" type things). It could be that I'm sick of the media peddling Michael Vick as the greatest thing to ever happen to the NFL even if, aside from his running ability, he's not shown to be a great quarterback. I fear they'll fall into the same trap with Young.

As for your second point, read on:
"Incredibly it may have shocked USC, though. Despite five weeks to watch tape of Young, the Trojans didn't gimmick up for him, didn't even put a spy on him. "We wanted to play our regular zone defense," USC safety Darnell Bing said."
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:51 PM   #1014
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
I'm not saying anything of the sort. I just don't think his success is automatic like it seems like people are beginning to say. (All the "turn pro now" type things). It could be that I'm sick of the media peddling Michael Vick as the greatest thing to ever happen to the NFL even if, aside from his running ability, he's not shown to be a great quarterback. I fear they'll fall into the same trap with Young.

As for your second point, read on:
"Incredibly it may have shocked USC, though. Despite five weeks to watch tape of Young, the Trojans didn't gimmick up for him, didn't even put a spy on him. "We wanted to play our regular zone defense," USC safety Darnell Bing said."

And either the coaching staff are idiots, or their spinning to try to make themselves look bad. Either way, they come off looking very dumb.

As for the first part, there is no such thing as a "sure thing," and what we are giving is opinions. My opinion is he is worth a top five draft pick easily, and will be a better QB than Leinart in the long run. And I'll say this again, he is not going to become a better quarterback with an another year in college. He needs to start facing NFL caliber players regularly to take the next step.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:00 PM   #1015
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Now, I think Young and Leinhart will become pretty good pro QBs, but I find it amusing how all these people (and I'm not singling anyone out, because I don't know your opinions on this issue last year) were so high on Leinhart last year and this year say he's a bust, even with the incredible season he had. It's amazing, frankly.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:01 PM   #1016
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Now, I think Young and Leinhart will become pretty good pro QBs, but I find it amusing how all these people (and I'm not singling anyone out, because I don't know your opinions on this issue last year) were so high on Leinhart last year and this year say he's a bust, even with the incredible season he had. It's amazing, frankly.

It's hilarious. Last year he was the best pro prospect in all the land - he stayed in school, stayed healthy, and had a phenomenal year, and people are now down on him.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:16 PM   #1017
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui

It is easy. He couldn't get any higher than number one, and he should jumped when he had it. Now, he looks more like the product of the talent around him than a true super-star prospect. I would say he just doesn't look like he has as much "up-side" as he did last year. My guess is he'll be the quickest of any qb this year in picking up the NFL offense and playing well, but he looks to be an average to slightly above average starter once he reaches full potential.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:47 PM   #1018
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think he'll be far better than average and nothing this year changed my view on Leinhart.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:55 PM   #1019
Joe
Pro Starter

Congrats to USC

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:47 PM   #1020
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

What's up with the persistent misspelling of Leinart with an 'h'?

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)

Last edited by Mr. Wednesday : 01-05-2006 at 08:29 PM.
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:57 PM   #1021
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, everyone seems to (miss?)pronounce LINE-HART, hence all the extra "h"'s

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:30 PM   #1022
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
What's up with the persistent misspelling of Lienart with an 'h'?

You mean Leinart?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #1023
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
PSU would have gotten smashed by either team.

Yeah Texas really smashed Ohio State right? Texas was lucky to pull that one out. The Ohio State TE Dropped a TD pass in the chest wide open in the end zone. If he catches that pass game over, Texas loses.

FYI, Penn State umm manhandled Ohio State.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:22 PM   #1024
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64
Yeah Texas really smashed Ohio State right? Texas was lucky to pull that one out. The Ohio State TE Dropped a TD pass in the chest wide open in the end zone. If he catches that pass game over, Texas loses.

It could of been Troy Smith or Michael Robinson or Vince Young. It wouldn't of mattered at all who the scrambling QB was playing against USC. They had the worst defensive gameplan, I've ever seen against a scrambling QB.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:36 PM   #1025
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:

And Penn State was really impressive winning against an 8-5 FSU team.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:38 PM   #1026
GrantDawg

Quote:

Barely.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:43 PM   #1027
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:

About as impressive as USC barely beating an average Notre Dame and Fresno State team?

You put USC in the big 10 and bye-bye to those offensive stats.

Last edited by astrosfan64 : 01-05-2006 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:45 PM   #1028
KJDelaney
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
Congrats to USC

CLASSIC!!!!!
KJDelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:12 PM   #1029
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:

But Texas won. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Texas won.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:13 PM   #1030
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
About as impressive as USC barely beating an average Notre Dame and Fresno State team?

Yeah, that BCS Notre Dame that lost it two games by 3 points each is so average. I wish Michigan State was that average!

And Fresno State, they just suck.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:14 PM   #1031
Galaxy
Coordinator

Dola...

Personally, I think bowl games are way too long from the end of the regular season.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:20 PM   #1032
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
It could of been Troy Smith or Michael Robinson or Vince Young. It wouldn't of mattered at all who the scrambling QB was playing against USC. They had the worst defensive gameplan, I've ever seen against a scrambling QB.

i couldnt agree more...
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:23 PM   #1033
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
I think they need to replace the buzzer system with a flare gun.
How about a shock collar around all the refs' necks?

Last edited by Craptacular : 01-05-2006 at 11:24 PM.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:28 PM   #1034
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Troy Smith, I agree, he's about as accurate as Young. Robinson, I disagree, he's not as accurate as the other two and UT's margin in winning the game was razor-thin. With Robinson at QB, some of the completed passes fall incomplete and SC wins the game.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:45 PM   #1035
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Congrats to the University of Texas. So long as Notre Dame didn't win it all, I can deal with it.

With all that talent down in the Lone Star, I expect it won't take UT three-plus decades to grab their next Football Championship.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:55 AM   #1036
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Wow, it feels good to finally get some sleep. I only slept maybe an hour and a half on Wednesday night. I still felt ok yesterday, until about 9pm, then the wheels fell off. I woke up about an hour ago, and I still can't believe that Texas actually won the game. The official celebration in Austin won't be for a few more weeks, after the players get back to campus to start the Spring semester. That's going to be a pretty big celebration, much bigger than any of the Lance Armstrong parties they've had I'm sure.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:02 AM   #1037
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
I always love to see quotes like this. So...

Put Washington State in the Big-10 and we'd be 10-1!

Old 01-06-2006, 09:12 AM   #1038
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
I always love to see quotes like this. So...

Put Washington State in the Big-10 and we'd be 10-1!

Oh yeah?!?!?!? Well put Texas in the Pac-10 and we'd be 13-0! Big Ten, too, for that matter!

Hell, put us in the NFL, baby! 13-0!*

* - Please note that the 13-0 seen here is my new "European" record reporting system wherein the losses precede the hyphen and the wins follow

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Last edited by Huckleberry : 01-06-2006 at 09:13 AM.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:16 AM   #1039
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
Oh yeah?!?!?!? Well put Texas in the Pac-10 and we'd be 13-0! Big Ten, too, for that matter!

* - Please note that the 13-0 seen here is my new "European" record reporting system wherein the losses precede the hyphen and the wins follow
Ack! A Longhorns maniac!

You be quiet. You're just still flush with victory. To bring you back down to earth, I'll remind you that the last bowl the Cougars attended was their Holiday Bowl snuffing of Vince Young and the Longhorns.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:26 AM   #1040
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Rose Bowl Field To Be Named For Vince Young

In use since 1922, The Rose Bowl Stadium is one of the most storied venues in football. The Pasadena landmark has seen its share of legendary performances over the years. However, no one has been better in that stadium than a certain quarterback from Texas. As a result, stadium officials announced that its field will be named Vince Young Field.

Technically, the city of Pasadena owns the Rose Bowl. However, Pasadena mayor Bill Bogaard explained why the decision was a no-brainer. “He just dominated the Rose Bowl the past two years,” explained the mayor. “Young proved that he truly owns that field.”

Defenders from USC and Michigan would not disagree. In last year’s Rose Bowl, Young rushed for four touchdowns and threw for another to lead Texas to a 38-37 victory over the Wolverines. With the stakes even higher on Wednesday, he did the same thing to USC. Young rushed for 200 yards and three touchdowns, capped by the national title-winning dash with 19 seconds remaining in the 41-38 triumph. After rendering so many Trojans ineffective, Young was offered an endorsement deal by LifeStyles condoms. The only consolation for USC fans was that Will Ferrell was funnier than Matthew McConaughey in ABC’s pre-game promo.

Naming the playing surface after a person has become common in college football and basketball in recent years. That scenario is now true for UCLA’s home venues in both sports, with Pauley Pavilion being the site of John and Nell Wooden Court. It is unusual for a school to play on a field named for someone with no affiliation with that university. However, UCLA head coach Karl Dorrell is just relieved that his porous defense does not have to face Young. In fact, Dorrell dropped to his knees and begged, “PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don’t make us play against that guy!”

However, Texas is attempting to add a game with UCLA to next fall’s schedule. Providing another opportunity to play in Pasadena could help to keep the junior from bolting to the NFL. A UCLA-Texas matchup would be a natural occasion to officially dedicate Vince Young Field, with September 16 being the best bet. The Bruins are off that week, and the Longhorns also have a bye – a game versus Rice. Texas would send most of its roster to Pasadena, while the Sigma Chi intramural team takes on the Owls.

Young is also lobbying the NFL to place a team in the Rose Bowl Stadium. The Los Angeles area has been without a pro football franchise since the Rams and Raiders left town in 1995. If a team lands in Pasadena, it surely would do whatever it takes to add Young to its roster. Playing eight games a season on his namesake field would allow him to dominate the game like John Elway, Joe Montana, and Johnny Unitas could only dream of doing. The sport would then be renamed “Youngball,” and the championship game would be the “Vince Bowl.”

Although he missed out on the Heisman Trophy, having his name on the field will ensure that Vince Young’s name will endure in the college football world. Vince Young Field does pay tribute to a Longhorn who did win the Heisman, Ricky Williams. The playing surface has great grass.

hxxp://jackssportshumor.blogspot.com/2006/01/rose-bowl-field-to-be-named-for-vince.html
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 01-06-2006 at 09:29 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:37 AM   #1041
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry

Witty. I like it

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote