Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-04-2006, 12:05 AM   #1
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

The Rose Bowl

Alright, with the JV games now out of the way, it's time for "THE" GAME.

MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:07 AM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight
Alright, with the JV games now out of the way, it's time for "THE" GAME.

It starts what.. in 15 minutes? Damn 1 o clock game ran long...
Old 01-04-2006, 12:15 AM   #3
biological warrior
High School Varsity

If the Rose Bowl is half as good as the MPC computers bowl then, I can die a happy man.
biological warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:03 AM   #4
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It looks like this is the year that if you have "Big" in your conference name, you win your BCS game:

Fiesta: Ohio State, Big Ten
Sugar: West Virginia, Big East
Orange: Penn State, Big Ten

and after tonight
Rose: Texas, Big 12

edit to fix the Sugar Bowl winner
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 01-04-2006 at 09:23 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:18 AM   #5
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

uh cartman? just a FYI.. I appreciate you saying BC had a better year then it did, but... um.. BC's not in the Big East
Old 01-04-2006, 09:23 AM   #6
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
uh cartman? just a FYI.. I appreciate you saying BC had a better year then it did, but... um.. BC's not in the Big East

D'oh. Fixed.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:54 AM   #7
Icy
Pro Starter

Umm it's at my 2am and will end like at 5am... my pregnant wife could kill me for being awake that late in the night (or early in the morning depending how you see it). I need to find an excuse... who wants to call me at that time about one of my servers being down?
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:35 AM   #8
Huckleberry
College Starter

Texas moneyline has moved from +225 to +180 in the last 24 hours. Interesting.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:39 AM   #9
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
Texas moneyline has moved from +225 to +180 in the last 24 hours. Interesting.

Yeah, I got some of that. They must respect my opinion.

I also layed -6.5 back in December and bought back +8.5 for a larger bet last week.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:45 AM   #10
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic
Yeah, I got some of that. They must respect my opinion.

I also layed -6.5 back in December and bought back +8.5 for a larger bet last week.

Makes sense that the people that were intending to bet on Texas would wait until the last minute. The line had been moving toward USC since it opened.

So it sounds like you're really pulling for a 7 or 8 point USC win, right?

Old 01-04-2006, 10:49 AM   #11
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
Makes sense that the people that were intending to bet on Texas would wait until the last minute. The line had been moving toward USC since it opened.

So it sounds like you're really pulling for a 7 or 8 point USC win, right?

That would make me the most money, but I think Texas wins this one outright.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:27 PM   #12
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

This reminds me of how ESPN has been treating USC for the last few weeks or so . . .

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/

USC VS. TEXAS: THE FIRST QUARTER
—USC wins the toss, of course. Had they done one hundred coin tosses, USC would have won all of them. USC defers, and Texas elects to receive. Refs shake their heads in unison, dial 9-1 on their cell phones, wait with finger poised over the 1.

—A new ball is called for a rekick to replace original ball. No such replacement is available for what used to be called the earth’s moon, which Troy Van Blarcom’s kickoff has split in twain with horrifying force. Entire nation of India breaks into chorus of “Fight On” out of mixed awe, fear and respect.

–Kickoff is fielded cleanly by a woman in the third row of the stands. As she catches it, her chronic painful sciatica miraculously heals, and her tears of joy make daisies sprout from the cracks in the concrete as they hit the pavement.

–Texas runs their first play: a play-action qb option play with Limas Sweed running wild and wide open behind the Trojan secondary…who catches the ball and is immediately struck by lightning, evaporating into a pile of fine ashes on contact. Two quick runs and Texas punts cleanly to a waiting Reggie Bush, who calls a fair catch.

–Reggie Bush then scores on a 63 yard return…with his mind.

–Texas gets the ball again on a kick, but fumbles when Frostee Rucker, sitting on the sidelines, points his hand in the direction of the ballcarrier, wiggles his fingers and wrinkles his philtrum side to side a la Samantha in Bewitched. In a comfortable Tudor home in suburban Connecticut, Gladys Kravitz shakes her head and thinks that she just knows something isn’t right about that Rucker boy.

Gladys Kravitz just knew there was something about that Rucker boy.

–The Texas returner instantly fumbles the ball into the waiting hands of backup TE Fred Davis, who scores a touchdown and celebrates by knitting a perfectly formed red and gold beanie in 3.4 seconds flat. As he tosses the beanie in the stands, it turns into a dove and flies to Palestine, where peace reigns for the first time in recorded history.

–In response, the Texas ball carrier thanks Rucker for mercy, and offers his rump to Rucker in a display of animal submission. Rucker declines, saying that while Frostee Rucker may sing about love, he cannot actually feel love…for steel has no heart. The entire Texas bench breaks into tears upon hearing this, and Limas Sweed leaps from the top of the Rose Bowl to his death in sympathy.

–Texas drives sixty yards on the ensuing possession, but only because USC’s defense is now sitting on the sidelines on their thrones of gold, celebrating their already certain victory by throwing fistfuls of doubloons into the crowd and occasionally stopping to make fierce but tender love to the women of the crowd. Each one of them makes sweet perfect love to a degree you cannot possibly hope to equal, and each woman immediately takes vows of chastity afterward, swearing that life has given them all it could offer and they can want no more. (You know, kind of like Prince’s ex-girlfriends all do.)

–In place of the USC defense, the band plays a fine series, mixing in zone blitzes with a cover 2 scheme that contains Vince Young with a spy on third down, in this instance a second year biochem major who plays flute. She makes an amazing open-field tackle on Young on 3rd and goal, and Longhorns settle for a field goal.

Should do a fine job once the game ends in the first quarter.

–On the kickoff, Reggie Bush takes a knee, but only to show his infinite mercy and goodness to the Longhorns. In gratitude, the Longhorns build a golden calf and offer it to Reggie, who graciously takes the calf, melts it down with his bare hands, and sells it on the open market for a profit he immediately donates to the well-run charity of his choice.

–Matt Leinart takes the first snap, goes play action, and throws a line drive through the chest of corner Cedric Griffin to Dwayne Jarrett for a ten yard completion. As Jarrett streaks to the endzone, Griffin begs for assistance. Leinart declines, saying that Bush is the merciful God, while he is the vengeful one. Bush laughs, puts down his chalice of mead, and heals Griffin while having sex with Vince Young’s mother.

And that’s how the first quarter should go.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:39 PM   #13
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
This reminds me of how ESPN has been treating USC for the last few weeks or so . . .

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/

USC VS. TEXAS: THE FIRST QUARTER
—USC wins the toss, of course. Had they done one hundred coin tosses, USC would have won all of them. USC defers, and Texas elects to receive. Refs shake their heads in unison, dial 9-1 on their cell phones, wait with finger poised over the 1.

—A new ball is called for a rekick to replace original ball. No such replacement is available for what used to be called the earth’s moon, which Troy Van Blarcom’s kickoff has split in twain with horrifying force. Entire nation of India breaks into chorus of “Fight On” out of mixed awe, fear and respect.

–Kickoff is fielded cleanly by a woman in the third row of the stands. As she catches it, her chronic painful sciatica miraculously heals, and her tears of joy make daisies sprout from the cracks in the concrete as they hit the pavement.

–Texas runs their first play: a play-action qb option play with Limas Sweed running wild and wide open behind the Trojan secondary…who catches the ball and is immediately struck by lightning, evaporating into a pile of fine ashes on contact. Two quick runs and Texas punts cleanly to a waiting Reggie Bush, who calls a fair catch.

–Reggie Bush then scores on a 63 yard return…with his mind.

–Texas gets the ball again on a kick, but fumbles when Frostee Rucker, sitting on the sidelines, points his hand in the direction of the ballcarrier, wiggles his fingers and wrinkles his philtrum side to side a la Samantha in Bewitched. In a comfortable Tudor home in suburban Connecticut, Gladys Kravitz shakes her head and thinks that she just knows something isn’t right about that Rucker boy.

Gladys Kravitz just knew there was something about that Rucker boy.

–The Texas returner instantly fumbles the ball into the waiting hands of backup TE Fred Davis, who scores a touchdown and celebrates by knitting a perfectly formed red and gold beanie in 3.4 seconds flat. As he tosses the beanie in the stands, it turns into a dove and flies to Palestine, where peace reigns for the first time in recorded history.

–In response, the Texas ball carrier thanks Rucker for mercy, and offers his rump to Rucker in a display of animal submission. Rucker declines, saying that while Frostee Rucker may sing about love, he cannot actually feel love…for steel has no heart. The entire Texas bench breaks into tears upon hearing this, and Limas Sweed leaps from the top of the Rose Bowl to his death in sympathy.

–Texas drives sixty yards on the ensuing possession, but only because USC’s defense is now sitting on the sidelines on their thrones of gold, celebrating their already certain victory by throwing fistfuls of doubloons into the crowd and occasionally stopping to make fierce but tender love to the women of the crowd. Each one of them makes sweet perfect love to a degree you cannot possibly hope to equal, and each woman immediately takes vows of chastity afterward, swearing that life has given them all it could offer and they can want no more. (You know, kind of like Prince’s ex-girlfriends all do.)

–In place of the USC defense, the band plays a fine series, mixing in zone blitzes with a cover 2 scheme that contains Vince Young with a spy on third down, in this instance a second year biochem major who plays flute. She makes an amazing open-field tackle on Young on 3rd and goal, and Longhorns settle for a field goal.

Should do a fine job once the game ends in the first quarter.

–On the kickoff, Reggie Bush takes a knee, but only to show his infinite mercy and goodness to the Longhorns. In gratitude, the Longhorns build a golden calf and offer it to Reggie, who graciously takes the calf, melts it down with his bare hands, and sells it on the open market for a profit he immediately donates to the well-run charity of his choice.

–Matt Leinart takes the first snap, goes play action, and throws a line drive through the chest of corner Cedric Griffin to Dwayne Jarrett for a ten yard completion. As Jarrett streaks to the endzone, Griffin begs for assistance. Leinart declines, saying that Bush is the merciful God, while he is the vengeful one. Bush laughs, puts down his chalice of mead, and heals Griffin while having sex with Vince Young’s mother.

And that’s how the first quarter should go.

I'm in tears. I love "Reggie Bush then scores on a 63 yard return…with his mind."
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:28 PM   #14
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I'm just thankful that HornsManiac isn't around here anymore. I can't even begin to imagine what kind of Longhorn post count we'd have to endure from him these past few weeks.

Huckleberry and Senator are good guys, considering they're Longhorn fans. Even IMetTrentGreen has some good qualities (OK, that might be a stretch).
Old 01-04-2006, 04:30 PM   #15
vtbub
College Starter

Would you believe 56-53?

http://smart-guys-sports.com/2005_te...alifornia.html

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:31 PM   #16
Galaxy
Coordinator

What is the weather going to be during the game?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:54 PM   #17
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I think it was in the 70's and clear down there today...
Old 01-04-2006, 05:37 PM   #18
Huckleberry
College Starter

Texas moneyline now down to +175

Old 01-04-2006, 05:45 PM   #19
Joe
Pro Starter

Texas wins 6-3 in a defensive struggle
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:59 PM   #20
st.cronin
General Manager

When did Texas move to the Big 10?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:02 PM   #21
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Guys. For once, I am a little nervous. My entire life has been spent watching the other teams have a chance at the championship, and I get older and older and older. It feels really strange knowing we are going for the whole enchilada instead of a Holiday Bowl or Cotton Bowl win.

Vince Young, hear my pleas.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:03 PM   #22
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbub

That would be a fun game to watch. Since I know how it ends.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:57 PM   #23
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator
Guys. For once, I am a little nervous. My entire life has been spent watching the other teams have a chance at the championship, and I get older and older and older. It feels really strange knowing we are going for the whole enchilada instead of a Holiday Bowl or Cotton Bowl win.

Vince Young, hear my pleas.

Ditto.

My freshman year at UT was the last time they went into a bowl game with any kind of a chance to win the NC. Ranked #3, but then got pasted by Miami 49-3.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:06 PM   #24
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

This intro hurts my brain.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:09 PM   #25
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Baby Rahn was saying Hook Em Horns only hours after he was born.

Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:10 PM   #26
cartman
Death Herald

The Rahn spawn is wise beyond his months.

Old 01-04-2006, 07:11 PM   #27
kingfc22
Head Coach

Let's get it on!!!!

Go SC
Old 01-04-2006, 07:12 PM   #28
st.cronin
General Manager

Will Ferrell > Mathew McCaughnahey

knives out
Old 01-04-2006, 07:16 PM   #29
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
You have GOT to be kidding me. MM came across like a real man, strong voice, a longhorn steer, no glitz and glamour. Ferrell was weak, with that whiney voice.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:19 PM   #30
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, Ferrell always comes off as dumber than a stump, tho: that guy who was always drunk and partying in college and never grew up.

SI

Old 01-04-2006, 07:19 PM   #31
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
You have GOT to be kidding me. MM came across like a real man, strong voice, a longhorn steer, no glitz and glamour. Ferrell was weak, with that whiney voice.

I know Ferrell actually went and graduated from USC (not of these jump-on-the-wagon type fans), did MM go to Texas, or is he just from Texas?

Last edited by Galaxy : 01-04-2006 at 07:21 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:20 PM   #32
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

MM = pretty boy

WF = MY idea of a real man

Maybe I'm an odd duck, but the best part of any day in my life is making my girl laugh.

knives out
Old 01-04-2006, 07:20 PM   #33
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:

what's that i have a heisman in my ear?
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:21 PM   #34
Ben E Lou

Quote:
MM = pretty boy

WF = MY idea of a real man

Maybe I'm an odd duck, but the best part of any day in my life is making my girl laugh.
You gotta be kidding me. MM would kick his tail. Easily.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:22 PM   #35
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
what's that i have a heisman in my ear?
Exactly. Smart-aleck trash talk against a guy who is bigger than strong than you gets that Heisman stuck up your tail.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:22 PM   #36
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm gonna have to take the hick versus the village idiot in a fight. Ferrell seems like one of those who would run and hide in a corner at the first sign of a fight. Then again, McCona- him- he'd probably do it fairly quickly, too.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-04-2006 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:22 PM   #37
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
You're insane. Will Ferrell not hittable. Soooooo not hittable.

Mathew McCaughnahey hittable and then some.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:23 PM   #38
MrBug708
Head Coach

Texas just deferred?

Oh my, they are more stupid then I thought....
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:25 PM   #39
kingfc22
Head Coach

I'll go crazy if Bush takes this to the house.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:25 PM   #40
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I hate pre-game crap...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:25 PM   #41
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
You gotta be kidding me. MM would kick his tail. Easily.

What does that have to do with anything? MM has been entertaining for about 11 minutes. Ferrell is probably one of the ten funniest men in America right now.

knives out
Old 01-04-2006, 07:26 PM   #42
Ben E Lou

Quote:
What does that have to do with anything? MM has been entertaining for about 11 minutes. Ferrell is probably one of the ten funniest men in America right now.
No idea who that little chump was. Never seen him before. MM, on the other hand, stood toe-to-toe with Keifer and the Klan.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:28 PM   #43
MrBug708
Head Coach

WEll, that paid off
Old 01-04-2006, 07:28 PM   #44
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dola

Or not
Old 01-04-2006, 07:28 PM   #45