Home

AZYankees Old Guy Quick Count Veteran Sliders

This is a discussion on AZYankees Old Guy Quick Count Veteran Sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-20-2022, 10:47 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
AZYankees Old Guy Quick Count Veteran Sliders

As the title indicates, these are quick count sliders, tailored for guys like me north of 50 that don't have the stick skills we had when we were playing Coleco Baseball in the 80's

So why veteran difficulty? Quite honestly I like the animations better on that level, seems to play smoother, less "arcady" and I swear I have seen animations on this difficulty that I don't see on others. Of course that could also be old guy memory, but I'm sticking to that story.

So the challenge was then to create sliders that still kept the CPU competitive, while providing an enjoyable, less frustrating experience for the seasoned gamer. I am now comfortable with these and ready to start my Yankee's franchise after 50+ games of testing/tweaking.

Final Version 05/03/22 See* for change Finally happy with additional tweaks, mainly centered around timing and solid hits. Did additional franchise testing with Yankees and Pirates, to get a good range of good/average/bad player skills and I think these are good to go. Starting a Cubs franchise for results tracking, until the final rosters come out for my official Yankee franchise.

Hitting Difficulty- Veteran
Hitting Interface: Directional
Guess Pitch: Off
Baserunning: Auto

Pitching Difficulty- Veteran
Pitching Interface: Classic
Pitch Confidence: On

Fielding: Auto
Throwing Interface: Buttons
Throwing Meter: Off

General:
Gameplay Style: Simulation
Fielding Aids: Off
Strike Zone: Off
Hot Zones: Off
Wind: On
Dynamic Difficulty Updates: N/A
Balks: User preference

Umpire Accuracy: User Preference, I go with umpire specific

User/CPU

Contact: 3/7* (CPU contact needed a slight bump and this separates how they hit good vs bad pitchers)
Power: 3/5*
Timing: 3/7 (3 is fine as you will get plenty of hard hit balls and dingers, especially with solid hits now at 5. If you do bump to 4, definitely increase pitch speed to compensate, in fact lower pitch speed a click before you bump timing as the difference from 3 to 4 is significant)
Foul Frequency: 0/2
Solid Hits: 5*/5 - This setting is definitely not as OP this year, so 5 is proving vital to get enough doubles
SP Stamina: 5/5
RP Stamina: 7/7
Pitcher Control: 1/6 (These play in conjunction with the consistency sliders)
Pitcher Consistency: 0/0 (The reason for user on 0 is to prevent you from painting the corners, even with the lower control. For CPU, control bumped so the pitchers are not just plain wild and this at 0 to stop the CPU from giving you a waist level meatball when behind in the count. Also brings in ratings more for human and CPU)
Strike Frequency: N/A on QC
CPU Manager Hook: 5
CPU Pickoffs: 0
Pitch Speed: User Preference I use 5 now. This is the one to bump up a notch if user Ks are a bit low, or down if you have issues with the lower timing.

Fielding/Baserunning

Infield Errors: 7
Outfield Errors: 6
Throwing Errors Infield: 1
Throwing Errors Outfield: 5
Fielder Run Speed: 1 (Thanks to Bryanm1982 for most of the speed sliders)
Fielder Reaction: 3 (This has to be bumped to 3 in this mode, any lower and fielders stand there like posts until the ball is halfway to them)
Arm IF: 1
Arm OF: 5
Baserunner Speed: 2 (Gets the right amount of infield hits being a tick up from arm, and faster players advance accordingly on hits. Doubles are solid and triples happen if you have some speed)
Steal Ability: 6
Steal Frequency: 4
Wind: 5
Game Played Injury Frequency: 8
Simulation Injury Frequency: 5

There you have it, I will post game results here as I go, but I really like how pitchers perform close to their ratings and Joey Gallo in my testing was still hitting .190

Last edited by AZYankee; 05-03-2022 at 06:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2022, 11:48 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: AZYankees Old Guy Quick Count Veteran Sliders

Opening day

Yankees 4-7-0
Rangers 3-5-0

Rizzo leads off with a home run and the Yanks never trail, Cole had a rough 3rd, but was otherwise was solid.

2B
Texas: Garver, Calhoun

HR
NYY: Rizzo (1), Stanton (1)

Pitching
NYY: 4 BB, 10 K
Texas: 3 BB, 8 K
Old 04-21-2022, 11:53 AM   #3
Rookie

Going to try these out!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-21-2022, 11:20 PM   #4
Rookie

The Rangers pitching staff is horrible outside of Dunne as we complete a decisive 4 game sweep.

Game 2
Yankees 13-17-0
Rangers 0-6-0
This one was all about Joey Gallo, who slugged two circuit shots and Severino going the distance striking out 14 in a laugher, that included a 6 run outburst in the top of the 9th.

2B
NYY - Donaldson, Gallo, Torres
Tex - Seager, Garver, Garcia

HR
NYY - Rizzo (2), Gallo 2 (2), Torres (1)
Tex - None

W/K
NYY - W 3 K 7
Tex - W 0 K 14

Game 3
Yankees 6-11-0
Rangers 2-6-1
Taillon turns in another gem, with his only mistakes both leaving the yard as the Yankees jumped to a 3-0 lead in the 1st and never looked back

2B
NYY - Stanton, Hicks
Tex - Calhoun

HR
NYY - Hicks (1)Higashioka (1)
Tex - Miller (1), Calhoun (1)

W/K
NYY - W 2 K 11
Tex - W 1 K 4

Game 4
Yankees 9-11-0
Rangers 3-9-1
Another laugher and this is the most productive 3 game stretch I have had with these sliders offensively, so I look to taper off against Houston next. Torres stroked 3 doubles in this one to pace the attack, as Texas pitchers struggled to throw strikes.

2B
NYY - Gallo, Torres 3, Hicks
Tex - Garcia

HR
NYY - Stanton (2)
Tex - Miller (2)

W/K
NYY - W 6 K 8
Tex - W 2 K 9

Despite this opening series assault on Ranger pitching, we are only 6th in team batting average and 3rd in runs scored, though we are tied with the Dodgers for 1st in Home Runs with 9. What bodes well is we are also 5th in ERA as the pitching staff had a great series and I only had to use Chapman in game 1. 4-0 and we go to Houston next.
Old 04-22-2022, 09:35 AM   #5
Rookie

dandeb's Arena

OVR: 3

From one old timer to another, I've enjoyed using these sliders. All Star was good, but using Veteran with your slider adjustments has made playing the game fun and still competitive.
Thank you!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2022, 10:48 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeb
From one old timer to another, I've enjoyed using these sliders. All Star was good, but using Veteran with your slider adjustments has made playing the game fun and still competitive.
Thank you!
Thank you and glad you are enjoying them. So far the only thing I am scrutinizing further is human timing (possibly going to 3 from 4) and CPU contact, possibly going to 7, but want to get the sample size in Franchise bigger as nearly all of the initial testing was in exhibition mode. Pretty happy with everything else though.
Old 04-22-2022, 11:25 AM   #7
Rookie

dandeb's Arena

OVR: 3

I'm also using the Yankees, and after leading by 3 against TX with Cole pitching, the Rangers came back and won 9 - 3. My pitching collapsed midway then settled down the last 4 innings not giving up any more runs. Like I said, it was interesting seeing the Yanks lose this way. I actually lowered CPU Power by a notch, and raised User Timing by one. Everyone plays differently and adjusts things to their liking and ability.

Last edited by dandeb; 04-22-2022 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Wanted to add
Old 04-22-2022, 10:00 PM   #8
Rookie

Off to Houston for a 3 game set

Game 5
Yankees 6-8-0
Astros 5-11-1
Nestor Cortez had a great outing, but the pen made it interesting allowing a 3 spot in the 9th as Stanton continues his hot hitting and we exploit Astro's wildness on the mound.

2B
NYY - Stanton
Hou - Altuve, Bregman 2, Gurriel, Maldonado

3B
Hou - Goodrum

HR
NYY - Stanton (3), Hicks (2)
Hou - Lee (1)

W/K
NYY - W 1 K 10
Hou - W 6 K 7

Game 6
Yankees 2-9-0
Astros 1-7-0
This was a great pitchers duel between Cole and Urquidez, who both get no decisions as a Donaldson clout is the difference maker in the 9th, Chapman mows the Stro's down in order to secure the save.

2B
Hou - Alvarez

HR
NYY - Stanton (4) Donaldson (1)
Hou - McCormick (2)

W/K
NYY - W 2 K 12
Hou - W1 K 13

Game 7
Yankees 3-10-0
Astros 8-10-0
Severino, who was nails in his first start can't find the plate and doesn't get out of the 4th in this one, as the Astro's unleash a torrent of long balls as our 6 game win streak to start the campaign ends in inglorious fashion.

2B
NYY - Gallo, Hicks

HR
HYY - Rizzo (3)
Hou - Brantley (1), Alvarez 2 (3), Maldonado (1)

W/K
NYY - W 6 K 8
Hou - W 1 K 7

Last edited by AZYankee; 04-23-2022 at 08:46 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »