Home

Infield shifting

This is a discussion on Infield shifting within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-17-2022, 10:45 AM   #1
Rookie

FastEd's Arena

OVR: 0
Infield shifting

I’ve been noticing with the Auto Shift on, I’m not really seeing many shifts both with my team and against me. I know a lot of it has to do with the managers tendency when defensive shifting is set to auto but I’m now 4 games into Spring Training and its still an issue. It’s not totally absent but I feel like its been a whole game since I’ve even seen one.

In years past, my guys were shifting on anyone with an extreme pull but not so much this year. Same with any of my guys who had tendencies to pull the ball, the CPU in most cases had me shifted.

Just curious if this might be some kind of bug or if I missing something this year. Here are my relevant settings:

Offline Franchise White Sox
Legend Hitting
Legend Pitching
Defensive Shift Auto
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2022, 11:54 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: Infield shifting

I haven’t had an issue with the CPU not shifting. If anything, I think the my shift TOO much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2022, 03:46 AM   #3
Rookie

La russa hardly ever shifts irl, so that's on point.

The only hitters I'd even consider shifting against on the White Sox are Grandal and maybe Eloy, so I doubt the CPU is using it much against you either. Abreu is listed as a pull hitter but with his swing I wouldn't play him that way at all. The rest of the guys are either border line or shouldn't be shifted against.

CPU also seems less likely to shift against switch hitters so they may not shift against Grandal anyways.

Last edited by DelishattheDish; 04-18-2022 at 03:52 AM.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:48 AM   #4
MVP

forme95's Arena

I play as the Guardians, and I dont use the shift much at all against the White Sox. I will on occasion shift for Abreu until 2 strikes, then play him straight up. For what its worth.

MLB 23 FOREVER

Madden fun, but, will not buy another till its next gen only and they get rid of the extras (SS/XF, HFA, media, scenarios, game plan) or turn them down considerably.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 04-19-2022, 11:17 AM   #5
Rookie

FastEd's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelishattheDish
La russa hardly ever shifts irl, so that's on point.

The only hitters I'd even consider shifting against on the White Sox are Grandal and maybe Eloy, so I doubt the CPU is using it much against you either. Abreu is listed as a pull hitter but with his swing I wouldn't play him that way at all. The rest of the guys are either border line or shouldn't be shifted against.

CPU also seems less likely to shift against switch hitters so they may not shift against Grandal anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
I play as the Guardians, and I dont use the shift much at all against the White Sox. I will on occasion shift for Abreu until 2 strikes, then play him straight up. For what its worth.
I was on the same page as both of you…thought it was probably a La Russa tendency but I wasn’t sure. The only reason I questioned it was because in years past, even guys who were general pull guys, they were still getting shifted on. I think so far, Grandal has been the only guy to be shifted on by the CPU.

I’m also noticing La Russa hasn’t been shifting any of my guys in the field, even on Extreme Pull guys. Every once in a while I’ll catch my defense in a shift but I feel like that’s a rarity. Now compared to last year (with La Russa), my guys were always shifting.

Bottom line is its really not a big deal to me. I can put more balls in play on offense and on defense I have always checked for the shift prior to an AB, just to make sure my guy are in position and modify them if needed.

Again, I appreciated your help. Thank you.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »