Home

Monitor vs TV

This is a discussion on Monitor vs TV within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-04-2022, 12:17 AM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Monitor vs TV

I'm curious how many of you play on a monitor as opposed to a TV. I remember playing on a monitor with either MLB 20 (or maybe 19) and I swear I felt like I hit better, primarily because I was just simply closer to the screen. I have 65" 4K TV and a PS5 and my monitor is only 2K capable. I wonder if there'd be much of a downgrade playing on 2K with a monitor. Maybe this could be my excuse to finally buy a 4K monitor.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2022, 12:24 AM   #2
MVP

Archie56's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Monitor vs TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I'm curious how many of you play on a monitor as opposed to a TV. I remember playing on a monitor with either MLB 20 (or maybe 19) and I swear I felt like I hit better, primarily because I was just simply closer to the screen. I have 65" 4K TV and a PS5 and my monitor is only 2K capable. I wonder if there'd be much of a downgrade playing on 2K with a monitor. Maybe this could be my excuse to finally buy a 4K monitor.
Monitors are made more for gaming in my opinion. Except now I have a LG C1 and it blows away any monitor I've ever had. If you have a bigger TV, you really need to get one with the right kind of gaming specs. But you'll usually pay a good amount for one. I believe my 65" LG was $1800 and it was on sale from like $2300

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2022, 12:25 AM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I bought a Predator gaming monitor from Walmart, and switched to that from my TV, and it seems to have made a world of difference. It could just be a "placebo" effect, but I seem to be able to time the pitches much better.
Old 04-04-2022, 12:27 AM   #4
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdutch98
I bought a Predator gaming monitor from Walmart, and switched to that from my TV, and it seems to have made a world of difference. It could just be a "placebo" effect, but I seem to be able to time the pitches much better.
You switched, "to," the monitor?

Streaming on Twitch
Old 04-04-2022, 12:30 AM   #5
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

I've been using monitors as my main display for about 10 years now. Like you my monitor is 1440p so I still use the TV to play single-player story games in 4k. Depending on what monitor you have it might accept a 4k signal and downscale to 1440p instead of just doing 1080 since Sony can't be bothered to give us a native 1440p like Xbox does.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2022, 12:31 AM   #6
MVP

Archie56's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HozAndMoose
I've been using monitors as my main display for about 10 years now. Like you my monitor is 1440p so I still use the TV to play single-player story games in 4k. Depending on what monitor you have it might accept a 4k signal and downscale to 1440p instead of just doing 1080 since Sony can't be bothered to give us a native 1440p like Xbox does.
Or VRR support, but apparently that's coming which I'm really looking forward to

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2022, 12:40 AM   #7
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Monitor vs TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HozAndMoose

Ah, yes. I forgot that we can’t do 1440 on PS5. I guess I’ll just have to get a 4K monitor. I want one anyway. Any recommendations?

I just looked some up. Thoughts on this one? It’s actually cheaper than I expected.IMG_3993.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Streaming on Twitch

Last edited by Gagnon39; 04-04-2022 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-04-2022, 12:45 AM   #8
Rookie

It's more so about the input lag / response time than it is about resolution to an extent. We'll tackle resolution first. Naturally, a higher resolution will look better than a lower one, assuming the size of the display is the same. A 1080p monitor that's the industry standard size of 27 inches will look better than a 1080p tv that's 40 inches because there is a higher pixel density on the monitor, meaning there are more pixels squashed into an area of a given size.

TV's have gotten a lot better over the years, but typically speaking monitors have a lower input latency, the time it takes your button press to register on the screen. Monitors also typically have a faster response time, meaning the time it takes the pixels to go from grey to grey which results in an image with better perceived clarity, less ghosting and haloing. Monitors, generally speaking also have a better refresh rate.

In your particular situation, the PS5 doesn't currently support 2k (1440p) so from a visual perspective the tv is going to output native 4k and depending on the monitor in question or how the PS5 handles the situation (I'm not exactly sure) either the monitor is going to upscale a 1080p image to 1440p which for conversation sake will look worse than if your monitor can accept a 4k signal and downscale it back to 1440p, which would be the better option.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »