Home

NFL2K5 vs Madden 2005

This is a discussion on NFL2K5 vs Madden 2005 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?
View Poll Results: NFL 2K5 or Madden 2005?
2K5 38 70.37%
Madden 2005 16 29.63%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2022, 08:21 PM   #1
Rookie

parkej13's Arena

OVR: 0
NFL2K5 vs Madden 2005

Hello everyone. After hearing all the praise heaped upon NFL 2K5 (PS2) as arguably the best simulation Football game ever, I spent this past weekend playing it's Franchise mode, as well as Madden 2005 (PS2) Franchise mode, and I must say, aside from a few superficial things, I really don't understand the hype. Don't get me wrong, NFL 2K5 does a few things better. The player movement, player models, physics and presentation are much better in 2K5 than in Madden 2005, but the advantages end there IMO.

The biggest advantage 2k5 has is it's ESPN style presentation, and while that certainly adds to the simulation experience, it doesn't make it a better overall game. I guess it depends on what you want in a simulation Football game. We all have our preferences, and that's why I feel that 2K5 OOTB is unplayable without significant slider adjustments, and even then, it's still flawed. I like to set my initial Franchise season up, building my core team around current players and a few free agent acquisitions. I almost never simulate any games. I usually play all the games or watch the games in coach mode (CPU vs CPU). However I did simulate a few games to see how realistic the sim stats were and Madden 2005 did a much better job than 2K5. Also, watching the games in coach mode, 2K5 fails epically to reproduce a real game. The QB AI in 2k5 is terrible. They throw far too many interceptions. Each game the CPU for both teams threw 4-6 interceptions per game.. Madden has the advantage by a long shot in coach mode.

Franchise mode is where Madden 2005 totally leaves NFL 2K5 in the dust. Madden 2005 has the deeper Franchise mode and so many more features. I was just going threw them last night and comparing the two, and while 2K5 has a decent amount of features in Franchise mode, it can't touch Madden. If you remove the ESPN presentation, Sports center and the Chris Berman post game show from NFL 2K5, this debate isn't even close IMO, in fact, there would no longer be a debate. In Madden you can Edit players during the season in Franchise mode. Also, the Tony Bruno show keeps me informed on all the current events, and actually does a very job with the latest updates around the league. There are many other areas where Madden 2005 clearly outshines NFL 2K5, but I will leave it here and let you all chime in...I think Madden 2005 is the best simulation Football Game ever. What do you all think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2022, 08:47 PM   #2
MVP

sheredia's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: NFL2K5 vs Madden 2005

you make pretty valid points regarding both games.....with that being said, it really does makes you wonder if both 2K and EA had joined forces, what a game we would have had. oh, well....maybe in a perfect world.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:06 PM   #3
Rookie

parkej13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheredia
you make pretty valid points regarding both games.....with that being said, it really does makes you wonder if both 2K and EA had joined forces, what a game we would have had. oh, well....maybe in a perfect world.
Yeah, I agree. It's just too bad EA got lazy though and decided that buying the NFL exclusive license was their only option. Now they don't have any competitors, and it shows in the quality of their games. I don't even bother with any of the newer Maddens, especially the ones on the Frostbite Engine. They are a glitchy, animation filled disaster. When I want to play a recent Madden title with good graphics and a decent Franchise mode, I will play Madden 17 and sometimes Madden 25 on PS4. 2K is supposed to be releasing a game this year. Hopefully it will be like All Pro Football 2K8 or something like that. I would definitely purchase the game.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:21 AM   #4
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

I didn't have the money for both back then so I got 2k5 and it is the best football game I've ever played. I've had great times with other 2k games, and a lot of Madden games, even Gameday 98 was fun at the time, but 2k5 is the most fun I've ever had with an NFL game. I'm not a hardcore fanatic of that game now... I tried playing it recently and only lasted like 5 minutes because it can't compare to M22 on next gen. I know many people won't like that comment, but it's just my opinion.

2K5 was also $20 while Madden shipped for $50, which is something a lot of people forget.
Old 03-01-2022, 12:53 PM   #5
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

Man, both were so good IMO. What a time to be alive then!
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2022, 02:32 PM   #6
Rookie

parkej13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
I didn't have the money for both back then so I got 2k5 and it is the best football game I've ever played. I've had great times with other 2k games, and a lot of Madden games, even Gameday 98 was fun at the time, but 2k5 is the most fun I've ever had with an NFL game. I'm not a hardcore fanatic of that game now... I tried playing it recently and only lasted like 5 minutes because it can't compare to M22 on next gen. I know many people won't like that comment, but it's just my opinion.

2K5 was also $20 while Madden shipped for $50, which is something a lot of people forget.
How is the Franchise mode in Madden 22? I'm primarily an offline Franchise mode player. The last Madden I bought was Madden 20. How does 22 compare to 20? I didn't last very long playing 20 because of the scripted game play and animations. The one that bothered me the most was the sack animation, where a defender could sack you even if he's 5 yards away because the sack animation has already determined that you won't be able to release the ball, after you've already pressed the button to pass. Plus I felt like the X factors in 20 were too OP. Madden 18 also had the same scripted game play....common denominator? The Frostbite Engine. So I haven't played any of the newer Madden titles. When I want a modern Madden with decent graphics, my go to is Madden 16 or 17.
Old 03-01-2022, 02:39 PM   #7
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkej13
How is the Franchise mode in Madden 22? I'm primarily an offline Franchise mode player. The last Madden I bought was Madden 20. How does 22 compare to 20? I didn't last very long playing 20 because of the scripted game play and animations. The one that bothered me the most was the sack animation, where a defender could sack you even if he's 5 yards away because the sack animation has already determined that you won't be able to release the ball, after you've already pressed the button to pass. Plus I felt like the X factors in 20 were too OP. Madden 18 also had the same scripted game play....common denominator? The Frostbite Engine. So I haven't played any of the newer Madden titles. When I want a modern Madden with decent graphics, my go to is Madden 16 or 17.
Franchise is... lacking a lot of what we all want. It's a super simplified version of what happens in real life but it's enough to create your own storylines and go through the offseason drafting guys and building a team. AI still sucks at roster management and draft, but it's fun to build your own team.

Gameplay-wise I think it depends on if you're on a next gen console or not. If you're on next gen then M22 is a massive upgrade. I haven't played last gen M22, but I think guys on here said it's pretty similar to 21 and 20. The DLine moves they added a couple years ago are a lot of fun. They massively nerfed the user LB stuff which is cool too.

If you have EA Play then M22 is free. You can also get a 1 Month subscription for $5 and you'll get M22 for free while that's active. Once you're done playing you can cancel your subscription and if it's within those 30 days you can opt for a full refund. So you can play as much as you want for free for 29 days. Definitely worth giving the game a try. I always get the most excited about NFL during this time of the year when the combine is happening and we're building to the draft so I've gotten back into the game recently and it's a good time.
Old 03-01-2022, 02:42 PM   #8
Rookie

parkej13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Man, both were so good IMO. What a time to be alive then!
Yeah, I have to admit. Games were better then for sure. Even Madden 06, 07 and 08 were solid. I've never played All-Pro Football 2k8, but I've heard it's even than 2K5. I never bought a 7th generation console (PS3, XBox 360) because I had stopped gaming once I got married and had kids, so I after I stopped playing my PS2, I didn't get to play any of the Madden titles for a while. Once I got divorced though, I picked up a PS4 just to try the newer Maddens, but I could only tolerate Madden 25 and Madden 16/17. I primarily just play Madden 05 on PS2 and Madden 07 on PC now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »