Home

Need advice on sliders (CPU isn't scoring enough)

This is a discussion on Need advice on sliders (CPU isn't scoring enough) within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-13-2022, 07:58 PM   #1
Rookie

noarmsduck's Arena

OVR: 0
Need advice on sliders (CPU isn't scoring enough)

So I started playing this game a couple weeks ago (2k22 Xbox SX), and I'm enjoying it so far. I am pleased that defense is better in this year's game than in 2k21. However I find that my defense is way too good.

I've been playing games in MyNBA with 10 minute quarters on All Star and I'm winning games on average like 90-50. I switched to using the Eccentric sliders on Superstar posted in this forum and it's been an improvement and it's definitely a bigger challenge, however after a couple games the CPU is still not performing well on offense. I mean I have a good defensive lineup, but they are averaging like 70 points a game on 30% shooting or less. I would also ideally like to see my own offense more effective, but that's not my main issue at the moment. I know it's kind of cheesy but I liked the ability to blow by defenders now and again. Obviously everyone shouldn't be able to do it but if I've got like TMac, Lebron, Kobe, etc I should be able to do that a couple times a game at least.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make offense more effective/realistic? I don't mind defensive grind it out games but the scoring averages and shooting % averages I've been getting are way too low and way too common.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2022, 08:41 PM   #2
Pro

vetmin's Arena

Re: Need advice on sliders (CPU isn't scoring enough)

I haven't tried Eccentric's sliders (awaiting his ATD ones), but glancing at them they look a pretty good foundation.

Tweaks you might try (roughly in the order you should try them):
  • Bump CPU Offensive Awareness/Consistency up to 100.
  • For contact shot frequency sliders, lower CPU layups to 75 and CPU jumpshots to 50 (or even CPU jumpshots to 50 25, i.e., minus 25 from Eccentric's settings).
  • Assuming you can switch over to control any team in your MyNBA, adjust the CPU coaching gameplan to Run Plays = 0, then go into a Scrimmage as that team and set their freelances to something that seems reasonable for that team (you only have to do this once; the game will remember your choices). I find that the CPU is far more likely to take what the defense gives them when they're not trying to run specific plays; I'm seeing way more jumpshots like this.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:19 PM   #3
Rookie

noarmsduck's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetmin
I haven't tried Eccentric's sliders (awaiting his ATD ones), but glancing at them they look a pretty good foundation.

• For contact shot frequency sliders, lower CPU layups to 75 and CPU jumpshots to 50 (or even CPU jumpshots to 50 25, i.e., minus 25 from Eccentric's settings).
  • Assuming you can switch over to control any team in your MyNBA, adjust the CPU coaching gameplan to Run Plays = 0, then go into a Scrimmage as that team and set their freelances to something that seems reasonable for that team (you only have to do this once; the game will remember your choices). I find that the CPU is far more likely to take what the defense gives them when they're not trying to run specific plays; I'm seeing way more jumpshots like this.
Just made some of those adjustments, I'll play a couple games tonight to see how it works out. Thank you for suggestions
Old 01-16-2022, 02:31 PM   #4
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19

One of the easier changes you can make (given you're happy with the CPU shot selection and overall offensive tendencies) is to just increase the shot success sliders. If you think the CPU is getting realistic shot attempts but they're just missing too often (judging by the 30% FG% you cited) that would be my first recommendation.

If the low FG% is due to the CPU taking too many bad/contested shots though, that's going to be a tendency and awareness issue, on top of the likelihood that defending may be too easy for you. It all depends on what the CAUSE of your issue is, not just the result (low FG%). So the solution varies depending on what is causing the problem.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:26 PM   #5
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetmin

I had been lamenting that my teams would consistently score and be scored on in the mid 80s-90s until I found this tip. I had to post here and mention just how incredible the game feels now and my average score over 10 or so games is just about 110-115 points, and the CPU stays right with me and scores probably 5-10 less points than that on average. Tweaks to the overall shooting ratings based on my skills (or lack thereof) and this is easily the best 2K game I’ve played in a while, possibly ever. Thank you!

For what it’s worth, I set the CPU Run Plays just to 20, and this provides a great mix of mostly freelance but some plays to slow it down too.

- Rick Wise
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2022, 08:28 AM   #6
Pro

vetmin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunselpower32
I had been lamenting that my teams would consistently score and be scored on in the mid 80s-90s until I found this tip. I had to post here and mention just how incredible the game feels now and my average score over 10 or so games is just about 110-115 points, and the CPU stays right with me and scores probably 5-10 less points than that on average. Tweaks to the overall shooting ratings based on my skills (or lack thereof) and this is easily the best 2K game I’ve played in a while, possibly ever. Thank you!

For what it’s worth, I set the CPU Run Plays just to 20, and this provides a great mix of mostly freelance but some plays to slow it down too.
My pleasure; very glad it's working for you too! Also that's interesting that it's still working for you well at Run Plays = 20. I just defaulted to 0 because I didn't really trust the CPU to honor the slider; I haven't really given it a chance at a low non-zero number yet, but now I will!
Old 01-21-2022, 04:33 PM   #7
Rookie

gu8lal8's Arena

OVR: 1

Use default sliders with maxed out foul frequency sliders for CPU and USER. Max out FT Difficulty.

Change CPU Shot Timing Impact slider to 0.
It's a life changer, trust me.

It's the same as Real Player % for USER.

Controller settings:
Shot meter: OFF
Shot timing: Shots only
FT timing: Real FT %

Edit Jan 24:
My full settings with default 2k rosters:
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...9&postcount=24

Last edited by gu8lal8; 01-24-2022 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:01 AM   #8
Rookie

2K22 is the most disappointing 2K by far. They went so hard on the immersion factor with player likeness updates, graphics, and PA announcers, but the gameplay is just so bland and there's no challenge to it whatsoever.

I'm not a roster or slider guy, but this year's game has really made me wish I was. I can not get a challenge at all out of this year's AI.

The last couple of years, I used Popboy's Beyond HOF sliders with default rosters, but nothing I've used for 2K22 PS5 feels challenging.

It feels like there is no true shot selection by the AI. It's hard to explain, but they don't react it seems to the defense and the AI takes some absolutely braindead shots from in close. Even when I change awareness/etc, they still don't feel aware.

I'm starting to get frustrated because the NBA season is nearly halfway over and normally by now I'd be nearing finishing a complete 12min-82game MyLeague season. But 2K22 is just plain boring.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »