Home

We're all on the same page about not wanting NFTs in Madden, right?

This is a discussion on We're all on the same page about not wanting NFTs in Madden, right? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-07-2022, 01:35 AM   #1
Hoos Rising

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
We're all on the same page about not wanting NFTs in Madden, right?

For those not up to speed - the Non-Fungible Token is a technology growing in popularity in tech circles which, in the context of video games, facilitates the concepts of proof-of-sole-ownership of digital goods (so the owner of a particular digital good might prove its scarcity and assert its value) as well as the execution of "play to earn" video game mechanics. NFTs are controversial for a vast number of reasons - criticisms of the technology include its harsh environmental impact, exploitability for fraud and money laundering, plagiarism, among other concerns.

This stuff is coming to AAA video games whether we like it or not. Back in November via PC Gamer, EA's CEO Andrew Wilson was already talking up NFTs as a concept EA would adopt, and from the same article it was reported EA had job postings talking about NFTs last year. It's not just EA, though. Ubisoft announced its own NFT program this past December and is doubling down on their initiatives despite intense consumer backlash, and Square Enix's president has already personally effecively declared NFTs as the future of video games in a company-addressed letter published on New Year's Day. On the flip side, Valve has already banned all games which include NFTs from their ubiquitous video game digital store Steam.

Regardless - there's no possible way these can add any sort of value to Madden for anyone in this particular section of the Madden audience, right? Like, if we compiled all the items from every wishlist ever posted at Operation Sports, Maddenmania, Reddit, and so on, we'd all vote for any item on anyone's list before this, right?

I admit I don't really know what my point is with this thread. I think I'm mostly just venting in exasperation of the inevitable, but I figure I'd get that out of the way now to brace myself for my future disappointment. I assume the easy route these get into the game is that artificial scarcity is going to get introduced for NFT-bound limited edition MUT cards and The Yard gear which carries over from one Madden game to the next. However, I fear a frustratingly dumb future of Madden where, for example, Tiburon brings back create-a-play into the game and enables custom playbooks in MUT, but each custom play is tied to its original author via NFT and you have to pay with real-world cash to add a particular play someone else authored to your playbook, of which the original author gets a pittance.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 01-07-2022 at 01:41 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2022, 01:45 AM   #2
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: We're all on the same page about not wanting NFTs in Madden, right?

Don't think I want that.

These are also big in the sports card industry now.
Old 01-07-2022, 02:27 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 0

Tech bros are amazing specimens. They are simultaneously some of the smartest and stupidest people on the planet.

NFTs and crypto-"currencies" should not be legal. These are flagrant pyramid schemes which are doomed to collapse as soon as the pool of suckers willing to funnel money into them dries up. I've yet to have anyone convince me that they have any practical application beyond speculation and the facilitation of criminal activity.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:00 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
Tech bros are amazing specimens. They are simultaneously some of the smartest and stupidest people on the planet.

NFTs and crypto-"currencies" should not be legal. These are flagrant pyramid schemes which are doomed to collapse as soon as the pool of suckers willing to funnel money into them dries up. I've yet to have anyone convince me that they have any practical application beyond speculation and the facilitation of criminal activity.
How is fiat any better? Countries print money like it's nothing and thus it loses it values. It happens in some African and South/Central American countries where inflation goes crazy.

Crypto gives the chance for some 3rd world countries to have stable currency.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:22 AM   #5
Hoos Rising

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteSmarts
How is fiat any better? Countries print money like it's nothing and thus it loses it values. It happens in some African and South/Central American countries where inflation goes crazy.

Crypto gives the chance for some 3rd world countries to have stable currency.

Let me interject as a mod here (realizing I invited this line of discussion by opening this thread at all so this is partially my fault):

This forum about the Madden NFL video game series probably isn’t the best venue to discuss the global political implications, good or bad, of cryptocurrency. In addition, Operation Sports still has a standing policy prohibiting political discussion, to the extent that it is in any way still disparate from sports and video games.

My intent with opening this topic was to focus on NFTs as related to Madden specifically, given the technology’s newsworthiness and widespread objection to it in video games specifically. If you can relate your thoughts on these things back to Madden NFL specifically, please do so. Otherwise, there are probably better venues for more general political discussion than this forum.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2022, 06:42 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 19

NFT's in sports video games will definitely add value to digital trading cards.
companies like Topp's releasing rookie cards as NFT's through Madden...... I can see that. that's a low-cost implementation with potentially high rewards for users and game developers like MAdden.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:50 AM   #7
Pro

patsfan1993's Arena

OVR: 8

My highly nuanced position on this matter is this:

It's dumb. It's stupid. I don't want it anywhere near any video game.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:00 AM   #8
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan1993
My highly nuanced position on this matter is this:

It's dumb. It's stupid. I don't want it anywhere near any video game.
I'll throw in a "GET OFF MY LAWN" for good measure.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »