Home

Raising shooting sliders vs lowering defensive strength sliders (to make jumpshots)

This is a discussion on Raising shooting sliders vs lowering defensive strength sliders (to make jumpshots) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-31-2021, 10:02 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Raising shooting sliders vs lowering defensive strength sliders (to make jumpshots)

Curious what your approaches are. It gets boring and frustrating being unable to make contested jumpers in this game. I’m a fan of classic mid range ball where you’d see guys pulling up with a hand in their face or shooting sideways in air and hitting said shots. In this game you make nearly every wide open shot but contested shots don’t go in enough, so I have to keep pounding inside.

My issue with lowering defensive strength sliders has a lot to do with being OCD. 1: I have a hard time turning down any defensive sliders. 2: If I lower my defensive strength sliders, I have to do it for the CPU as well to keep it even, and they have less problem hitting jumpers on me. 3: Apparently animations between players during contested shots led aren’t as good or realistic if you lower defensive strength sliders. 4: Apparently you draw less fouls with lower defensive strength sliders. Correct me if any of this isn’t accurate.

So instead I figure might as well just raise my mid range and 3 point sliders (which I assume count toward contested shots?). Downside to that is open shots will be crazy OP.

Interested to see what approaches you take to achieve more realistic contested jumper percentages.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2021, 10:36 AM   #2
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Raising shooting sliders vs lowering defensive strength sliders (to make jumpshot

Bro I'm a 90's mid range old head myself stuck with the same dilemma
Mid
Midrange should be a factor there are still players like booker and Derozen with mid-range game play
2k only allows you to hit midday if open
You also can't hit mids with big men like Lamarcus

Defense shooting strength shouldn't be tied to foul calls
Seems like it's hard coded
Old 10-31-2021, 10:50 AM   #3
MVP

Re: Raising shooting sliders vs lowering defensive strength sliders (to make jumpshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbayless
Bro I'm a 90's mid range old head myself stuck with the same dilemma
Mid
Midrange should be a factor there are still players like booker and Derozen with mid-range game play
2k only allows you to hit midday if open
You also can't hit mids with big men like Lamarcus

Defense shooting strength shouldn't be tied to foul calls
Seems like it's hard coded
I hear ya bro. I can’t even hit contested mids with prime Jordan. Like wtf. And don’t even get me started with those stupid dramatic double pump/leg bended/pump pull ups they make him do when MJ’s mid ranges, pull ups and rolling jumpers were all smooth gliding/flowing shots with straight legs. He never did those goofy close range double leg pumps.

The only mid ranges I can hit regularly with him are the post fades. Thankfully those work. But trying to unlock how to hit regular contested jumpers is annoying. And yeah it sucks that fouls are tied to defensive strength sliders apparently. Fouls already are barely called after patch 1.7. Last thing I wanna do is make them even less so.
Old 10-31-2021, 11:06 AM   #4
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2

And if 2k really watches basketball 🏀
Like 98% of mid-range shots are mostly contested more then threes
Just watch Micheal/Bean on the block see how heavy contest in the mid-range area

They should bring back mid-range deadeye for
Midrange players like MJ/bean/kwai

This will open the game up and 3 point line isn't the only thing you should be worried about
Chess not checkers♟️
Old 10-31-2021, 02:05 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRJ23
I hear ya bro. I can’t even hit contested mids with prime Jordan. Like wtf. And don’t even get me started with those stupid dramatic double pump/leg bended/pump pull ups they make him do when MJ’s mid ranges, pull ups and rolling jumpers were all smooth gliding/flowing shots with straight legs. He never did those goofy close range double leg pumps.

The only mid ranges I can hit regularly with him are the post fades. Thankfully those work. But trying to unlock how to hit regular contested jumpers is annoying. And yeah it sucks that fouls are tied to defensive strength sliders apparently. Fouls already are barely called after patch 1.7. Last thing I wanna do is make them even less so.
I’m glad I’m not the only one who hates those ugly double leg pump mid range jumpers. I just want to know who thought that looked good when making this game. It’s a total eye sore. I wish they would take that out cause I don’t know who shoots like that. And seeing Michael or Kobe shoot it like that in this game is just wrong.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2021, 03:41 PM   #6
Pro

vetmin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbayless
And if 2k really watches basketball ��
Like 98% of mid-range shots are mostly contested more then threes
For this reason, even though my rosters tend to use default Attributes and instead focus on Tendencies, I do go through and make sure that no one's Mid-Range ability is less than 3 notches below their 3pt ability (I leave their 3pt rating as is and raise their mid-range, if need be). Lots of spot-up guys have ratings like 66 mid-range and 79 three-point, which obviously derives from the fact that in real life they're only ever shooting mid-rangers in desperation situations (like to avoid a shot-clock violation). There are guys who genuinely have touch from mid-range but who can't hit 3s, but the inverse is rarely true in terms of pure ability.
Old 10-31-2021, 04:44 PM   #7
All Star

I have lowered the defensive strength sliders been testing at like 25-30 think I will end up at 25. On default 50 no one can make a contested shot with like default shooting sliders and at default 50 just about ever game both me and CPU was sub 40% from the field. When it comes to fouls I think it don't matter what you do you will not see them. In like 45 games I have seen a foul on a 3 pointer like 3 times and mid range like 2 times and on average I only get about 12 foul shots a game and cpu like 8 and I have been playing with fouls maxed out. With defensive strength at 50 compared to 25-30 I don't see a difference with fouls. I did try 1 game at 100 and saw more fouls than normal but being it was only 1 game it may have been a fluke. The other thing is if you put defensive strength up it will likely be like impossible to make any kind of contested 3 pointer with out upping the 3 point slider but than if you up the 3 point slider you will likely not see misses on open 3 pointers.

Last edited by Smallville102001; 10-31-2021 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-31-2021, 05:55 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjrchris2
I’m glad I’m not the only one who hates those ugly double leg pump mid range jumpers. I just want to know who thought that looked good when making this game. It’s a total eye sore. I wish they would take that out cause I don’t know who shoots like that. And seeing Michael or Kobe shoot it like that in this game is just wrong.
Thank you. Glad I’m not the only one. Those double leg pumps are insanely cringe. Especially from MJ or Kobe. Horrendous. I can’t believe they look at that and think it’s how a contested jumper should look. Even many OPEN running jumpers do that stupid animation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville102001
I have lowered the defensive strength sliders been testing at like 25-30 think I will end up at 30. On default 50 no one can make a contested shot with like default shooting sliders and at default 50 just about ever game both me and CPU was sub 40% from the field. When it comes to fouls I think it don't matter what you do you will not see them. In like 45 games I have seen a foul on a 3 pointer like 3 times and mid range like 2 times and on average I only get about 12 foul shots a game and cpu like 8 and I have been playing with fouls maxed out. With defensive strength at 50 compared to 25-30 I don't see a difference with fouls. I did try 1 game at 100 and saw more fouls than normal but being it was only 1 game it may have been a fluke. The other thing is if you put defensive strength up it will likely be like impossible to make any kind of contested 3 pointer with out upping the 3 point slider but than if you up the 3 point slider you will likely not see misses on open 3 pointers.
Interesting. I may just have to get over my “no defense sliders below 50” OCD and lower them. Hitting contested shots would open up the game a lot.

Currently my approach is to raise the shooting sliders instead, assuming they factor into contested shots (who knows with this game), but yeah, the open shot factor makes that also imbalanced.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »