Home

What do you know about Mazo? (NCAA 14 Teambuilder Dynasty)

This is a discussion on What do you know about Mazo? (NCAA 14 Teambuilder Dynasty) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-30-2021, 09:57 PM   #1
Rookie

uw1618's Arena

OVR: 0
Cool What do you know about Mazo? (Mazomanie Mustangs Teambuilder Dynasty)

Hello!

Thanks for checking out the dynasty and I’m here to begin the quest for football relevancy in the FBS with a team from Mazomanie, Wisconsin.

The Mustangs have made the leap from FCS to FBS after receiving an invite to the MAC conference due to consistent top level play in the FCS that included five postseason appearances, three conference titles in the Missouri Valley Football Conference, and one national title victory over Montana in 2011, 30-17.

“This is the best day of my life.” - HC Hyde following Mazo’s first title victory

Despite their national title in 2011, the team hit a bump in the road the following season falling to a surprising 3-9 record, thus causing concern for what their future could be in the FBS with their promotion taking place starting with the 2013 season under head coach Graham Hyde…

...Or so they thought it would be with their longtime HC.

One week after their 2012 season came to an end, it became breaking news that Mazomanie was on the search for a new top dog. Someone who knew what the program’s vision was. Someone who knew what Mazomanie was capable of. Someone who hasn’t had a chance at being a head coach yet. Something fresh. The team looked high and low for a new coach, considering any coach from their local high-school football team all the way to has-been collegiate coaches. And after four weeks of interviewing plenty of candidates, there was a decision made:

They wanted current LB coach and assistant DC Troy Kahl Sr to man the team.

Helping coach a top 15 overall defense in 5 of the past 9 seasons, plus a winner of the Buck Buchanan Award (which is awarded to DPOY in FCS), Coach Kahl knows what it takes for a defense to succeed. Some may say that an in-house hire isn’t what is needed for Mazo to get the ball going again, but AD Dan Andersen was adamant that Kahl will get the ball going for Mazomanie. Kahl has signed for a reportedly 5yr/$170k contract, not including potential incentives.

“We’re looking forward to what Coach Kahl can bring to this team and how we can grow as a school. I have no doubt in this hire. At all.” - AD Dan Andrews speaking at a press conference introducing their new head coach.

Well, since we have learned a brief backstory for the Mustangs and who is leading their team for the time being, let’s get to know who makes up the team with the week one depth chart:

Mazomanie Mustangs Depth Chart - 2013
Regular Offense
STARTER2ND3RD4TH
WRJared Thirstin (rsSr)Ben Aude (Fr)Carl Kenna (rsFr)
TEBraxton Rodson (rsJr)Evan Malinchock (Fr)
LTJarrick Curtis (Sr)Christopher Burton (rsFr)
LGRhys Bohinski (So)Werrick Jay-Peterson (Jr)
CTonnell Howell (rsSr)Rakeem Moore (rsJr)
RGCharles Kreuger (Sr)Kenny Kendriks (Fr)
RTHakeem Lewis (rsSr)Rick Beyer (rsSr)
WRDan Carlon (Sr)Chewie Benton (Jr)Tyler Barman (rsJr)
QBZay Walker (rsJr)Rashad Muhammed (rsSr)Carter Kahl (rsFr)
FBJoey Ellsworth (rsSo)Jimble Tingus (Sr)
HBDerek Chandler (rsSr)Davon Garret (rsJr)Joe Gordon (Fr)Rocky Moon (So)
Base 3-4 Defense
STARTER2ND3RD4TH
LDEHugh Breen (rsSo)Seth Brickshaw (Jr)Nathn Winxord (Sr)
NTAdrian Poole-Rodgers (Sr)Jaylen Kistler (rsSo)Vondell Henry (rsJr)Mick Michaelson (rsSo)
RDELamont Wilkins (Jr)Greg Meyer (Fr)Shaq Hawkins (So)
LOLBEzekiel Rogers (So)Ryan Miller (Jr)Ternton Storl (Fr)
LILBRonnie DiCormick (rsSr)Eli Parker (Fr)
RILBDablinko Ferguson (Sr)Rufus Mack (Fr)
ROLBLamar Janeston (rsSr)Timus Franc (rsSo)Jonathon Kler (rsFr)
CBDayton Larson (Sr)Orlando Clark (rsSr)Ryan Callings (Fr)
SSTre Bond (Sr)Phil Tickle (Fr)
FSRonald Harveyclemon (rsSr)Spud Gregg (Fr)
CBFord Schultz (Sr)Jonathan King (Fr)
Special Teams
STARTER2ND3RD4TH
KRichard Muncher (rsSo)
PDietrich Adler (rsJr)
PRRonald Harveyclemon (rsSrDan Carlon (Sr)Ford Schultz (Sr)
KRBen Aude (Fr)Ryan Callings (Fr)Ford Schultz (Sr)
LSJarrick Curtis (Sr)Charles Kreuger (Sr)

With the information provided, we're about ready to kick off our opening game! Let's see what the schedule is for the first FBS season in Mustang history!

Mazomanie Mustangs 2013 Schedule
DATEOPPONENTRESULT
Sep 1vs Bye Week
Sep 7at #6 LSU
Sep 12at Wisconsin
Sep 21vs Western Michigan
Sep 28vs Nebraska State
Oct 5at Fresno State
Oct 12vs Miami (OH) (Homecoming)
Oct 19at Buffalo
Oct 26at Central Michigan
Nov 2at Bowling Green
Nov 9vs Northern Illinois
Nov 16vs Bye Week
Nov 23vs Akron (Senior Day)
Nov 30at Ohio
Dec 7vs Conference Championship Week

The season kicks off in what is expected to be an experience for the players and that's about it. I don't believe the Mustangs are expecting to put up a fight in Death Valley, as the gameday atmosphere down there is one that any player can get rattled by, let alone a brand new FBS school. LSU opens the season ranked #6 in the nation and currently are the only ranked opponent on Mazomanie's schedule.

The following week we get to see the inaugural battle for the Cheese Curd Trophy versus Wisconsin at 'Barry Alvarez Field' at Camp Randall Stadium. Mazomanie is only half an hour away from UW-Madison so I think it's safe to say you'll hear some fans from Mazo's side.

After that, conference play opens up in Mazomanie vs Western Michigan at Lions Park. Following that matchup, it's back-to-back Non-Conf matchups vs Nebraska State followed by traveling to Fresno St. Those matchups round out the non-conference portion of the schedule as Mazo will open their conference play at home before traveling for the following three.

Last edited by uw1618; 11-01-2021 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Good to go.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2021, 09:58 PM   #2
Rookie

uw1618's Arena

Re: What do you know about Mazo? (NCAA 14 Teambuilder Dynasty)

Roster: I'm using vtcrb's fictional roster that were posted to the OS forums. I believe that these do add some unknown to it which I really enjoy.

Sliders: I'm using JKits sliders to begin the dynasty. Anytime I update it (if I do) I will be posting when I do.

House rules: I've adapted kawkeye's Dynamic Player Progression System to use for my team, opponents, and conference teams as well after year one is completed. I have found this system to be very easy to implement and only takes a short amount of time to do each off-season.

Recruiting rules: These are recruiting rules I have came up with during the past 7+ years I've been playing the game. I have found these rules give me an authentic feel to the game and I have enjoyed these since I've began implementing them a few years ago. They are as follows:

I will not scout players after adding to my board.

I can only scout for positions of need determined by the game.

When scouting, I can only scout for players in top 10 interest in the state of WI regardless of caliber.
- If there is no player interested in WI, I can recruit players of school prestige +1 but with my pipeline states.
- If there is no player interested from WI/pipeline states, I follow same rules as if I were scouting my pipeline states but with surrounding states (IA, IL, IN, MI, MN).
- If there is no player interested in any of the previous rules set, I can scout school prestige nationwide as long as they are in my top 3.
- If there is no player interested in any of those rules set, I am out of luck for that off season.

With that being said, I think it's time to play some football!

Last edited by uw1618; 11-01-2021 at 10:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-01-2021, 01:40 PM   #3
Rookie

uw1618's Arena

GAME 1: @ #10 LSU (0-1)

The Mustangs opened the game in Wildcat formation with Davon Garret getting stopped in the backfield for -2 yards. This led to a Mustang 3-and-out. LSU’s ball.

The Tigers’ opening drive could not be stopped. Their offense marched them down the field, running the triple option all the way to the endzone on a 7 play, 61 yard drive that was capped off with a 11yd run by Burgess. LSU 7-0.

The Mustangs’ second drive resulted in a three-and-out, for a total of 3yds. They had nothing going. Zay Walker had a pass overthrown on a flat route to Davon Garret. Not much going so far. Crowd is LOVING the Tigers’ performance thus far.

LSU’s second drive was easy as could be. It took two plays to go 52 yards, all on the ground. It’s not looking pretty here and we’ve still got 4 minutes left in the first quarter. 14-0 LSU.

If we can talk about any bright spot in this game so far, it’s that the kick return game can really get some ground covered. Ben Aude finished the opening quarter with 128 yards on kick returns with a long of 55.

The Mustangs opened their third drive of the game with a delay of game. Talk about a feisty crowd, eh? However, the immediate play following the penalty they got their biggest play of the game so far in a drag route by WR Carlone that got them...7 yards. We may need to see more short, quick routes by Zay Walker to get this team in the flow of things. Those 7 yards on the drag route were all that Mazomanie could end up getting on their drive since Tyler Barman could not hang onto the ball on a pass that looked complete 20 yards downfield, but lost control of once the defender made contact. Again, Mazomanie will be punting the ball to the Tigers.

This first quarter has gone about as bad as you could have thought. LSU continues to run the ball down the Mustangs’ throat and they’ve ran the ball in for a third time in this quarter alone. It’s now 21-0.

Ben Aude was easily the standout player for the Mustangs in quarter number one due to the impact he made on the special teams so far. Sure, the team is getting stomped on the ground (literally and figuratively), but a team has to recognize their good players and I think the senior wideout will find himself more involved in the passing game throughout the game.

Mazomanie finally got the ball moving up the field following the 55 yard KR by Ben Aude. On their first play from scrimmage following the KR, Zay Walker completed a 12 yard pass to Dan Carlone and you can tack on an extra 15 after a facemask by LSU to get Mazomanie inching towards the redzone. However, following a holding call by Mazomanie’s OL, and getting stopped in the backfield once again for a loss of three, Mazomanie faced a 3rd-and-23. On this play, Zay Walker attempted to find Jared Thirstin on a corner route that was ruled incomplete that the coaches could no overturn on a challenge. Mazomanie punts again which results in a touchback.

At the end of the first quarter, Mazomanie finds themselves trailed 21-0.

LSU was able to continue running down the field, but once the Mustangs could force a 3rd-and-11, we saw Ezekiel Rogers hold LSU’s WR short of the first down marker to force a FG. The Tigers would make the FG to make this game 24-0.

The Mustangs couldn’t get anything going on their next drive, that stalled with a 28yd pass downfield that was jarred loose on a hit on WR Tyler Barman. LSU on their ensuing drive would be held to a shocking three-and-out, highlighted by a Lamar Janeston TFL on 2nd down. Could we be seeing momentum shift to the Mustang’s sideline?

And THAT. WE. COULD. The Mustang’s scored their first FBS touchdown on a 69yd run by QB Zay Walker where he got a block down field and evaded a diving tackle to take it to the house!!! I think this could be a turning point in the game! Mazomanie notes the score and Coach Kahl opts to go for two and does not get it. You have to take your chances when they are given. LSU still leads 24-6.

Mazomanie would kickoff to LSU and receive a touchback. LSU ran the ball for 9yds on their opening play and followed it with another triple option play where the QB got blown up and pitched to HB Michael Rivera. Rivera would run the ball for a gain of 2 before losing handle of the ball (Ronnie DiCormick would be credited with the FF) and the FS RONALD HARVEY-CLEMON WOULD TAKE IT TO THE HOUSE!!! Mazomanie scores!!! It’s now 24-12. Mazo will opt to go for two once again and on a HB sweep where LSU sheds their blocks basically once the ball is snapped, Davon Garret will still fight and get the ball to across the goalline! It's now a 10 point game! Talk about a turnaround! 24-14 LSU

LSU would convert multiple third-and-longs to extend their drive and go down field where they ultimately would add onto their lead with a (you guessed it) rushing touchdown to make it now 31-14. Sure, you would have loved to hold them to 3, let alone 0 on the drive, but what can you expect vs a top 10 team in the country?

On the ensuing kickoff Ryan Callings would take it for 56 yards to the LSU 44 and give Mazomanie a chance to add on more points.Zay Walker would be complete a 15yd pass to wideout Jared Thirstin and after enduring a big hit, would essentially take the play off since Mazomanie would just run the ball for a -1 gain. Mazomanie would get the ball into the Tiger’s redzone before faltering on how much time was left and threw the ball away with nothing on the clock. Mazo would walk away with zero points despite looking like they could settle for just three.

HALFTIME: LSU 31 MAZOMANIE 14

LSU would open the second half receiving the ball. I don’t even feel like their drives need description anymore because they are back to their early-game selves. They ran their whole drive, taking some 70yds to get into the endzone and hear their fight song for a sixth time. I know we weren’t entirely expecting an upset in Baton Rouge, but to get some stops on the ground would be appreciated.

Mazomanie would eclipse the 100yd rushing mark with about 5:20 remaining in the third quarter (which is a feat in itself against a SEC defense). Talk about an accomplishment in game one! Chewie Benton would add onto the mark with a FORTY-NINE YARD JET SWEEP to take it to the house and make this game 38-20! Zay Walker is showing some character by refusing to let the FG unit on the field and calling his own number on a QB draw. He’s taking his chances when they appear! He snaps the ball and bumps into the offensive line, but STILL makes it into the endzone! It’s now 38-22 with LSU still on top.

Raise your hand if you had Mazomanie in a twop possession game halfway through the third quarter!

Now put your hands down, you liar.

On defense, Mazomanie would give up what is considered an NCAA record 78yd TD run on the very first play to HB Jamie Lawrence to kill any chance they had of making this a one score game. With minutes to spare before we enter the fourth quarter, is there anything really left to play for? Down 45-22?

The answer is no. Mazomanie would end up getting sacked in a third and long situation and after deciding to go for it on 4th-and-25 and not converting, it basically sealed the game. LSU would keep just running the ball and tacking points on. This game would end in a 52-30 romp, inflated by a TD with 0:02 by Tyler Barman.

Mazomanie Mustangs at LSU Tigers
Sep 7, 20131ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
Mazomanie Mustangs (0-0)0148830
#10 LSU Tigers (0-1)211021052
Team Stats Comparison
MAZOLSU
Total Offense364566
Rushing Yards183522
Passing Yards18144
First Downs
Punt Return Yards041
Kick Return Yards274105
Total Yards638712
Turnovers12
3rd Down Conversion4-133-6
4th Down Conversion3-40-0
2-Point Conversion3-40-0
Red Zone Touchdowns/Field Goals4-1-05-5-0
Penalties7-516-50
Possession Time19:0013:00
Scoring Summary
FIRST QUARTER SCORINGMAZOLSU
5:53(LSU) K. Burgess, 11 Yd run (S. Davis kick)70
4:16(LSU) J. Brown, 38 Yd run (S. Davis kick)140
1:53(LSU) J. Brown, 9 Yd run (S. Davis kick)210
SECOND QUARTER SCORINGMAZOLSU
6:13(LSU) S. Davis, 44 Yd FG240
3:10(MAZO) Z. Walker, 69 Yd run (2-Pt failed246
2:39(MAZO) R. Harveyclemon, returned fumble 41 Yds (2-Pt02414
0:48(LSU) K. Burgess, 8 Yd run (S. Davis kick)3114
THIRD QUARTER SCORINGMAZOLSU
6:37(LSU) J. Brown, 11 Yd run (S. Davis kick)3814
4:30(MAZO) C. Benton, 50 Yd run, (2-pt)3822
4:14(LSU) J. Lawrence, 78 Yd run (S. Davis kick)4522
0:27(LSU) M. Rivera, 4 Yd run (S. Davis kick)5222
FOURTH QUARTER SCORINGMAZOLSU
0:01(MAZO) T. Barman, 1 Yd pass from R. Muhammed (2-pt)5230
Mazomanie Mustangs
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
Zay Walker92601
Rashad Muhammed3510
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
Zay Walker9829.11
Chewie Benton150601
Derek Chandler11433.90
Davon Garret4-3-07.0
Rashad Muhammed1600
Joey Ellswortth252.50
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
Chewie Benton260300
Dan Carlone44310.70
Derek Chandler138380
Braxton Rodson21680
Jared Thirstin115150
Ben Aude1800
Tyler Barman1111
BLOCKINGPANCAKESACK
Ben Aude10
Braxton Rodson10
Tonnell Howell01
DEFENSETACKSACKINTTD
Dablinko Ferguson10900
Tre Bond6500
Ezekiel Rogers6500
Lamar Janeston6600
Don Larson5400
Ronald Harveyclemon5501
Ford Schultz4400
Lamont Wilkins3300
Ryan Callings3300
Orlando Clark3300
Ronnie DiCormick2200
Ben Aude2200
Timus Franc1100
Hugh Breen1100
Spud Gregg1100
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
Dietrich Adler0000
PUNTINGNOYDSAVGIN20
Dietrich Adler5198045
KICK RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
Ben Aude5150300
Ryan Callings4124310
LSU Tigers
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
Jeremy Brown6/74400
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
Kevin Burgess201557.72
Jeremy Brown171448.43
Michael Rivera66210.31
Jamie Lawrence512224.41
Ron Fletcher3289.30
Brent Johnson111110
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
Aaron Black220100
Michael Rivera1220
Reuben Garcia111110
Marlon Mitchell110100
Kevin Burgess1110
BLOCKINGPANCAKESACK
Rufus Miles100
Cedric Harris30
Lance Jefferson20
Scott Cox21
Brent Johnson10
DEFENSETACKSACKINTTD
Robert Coleman7010
Shedrick Wilson7000
Jason Winston6000
Mike Bell4000
Jeff Henderson4000
Albert Wright3000
William Strong3000
Sam Williams2000
Brandon Gooddard2000
Brad Kirkpatrick2000
Eric Ross2000
Matt Jones2000
Antonio Thomas1000
Josh Smith1000
Micah Stevenson1000
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
Shannon Davis1/17/72445
PUNTINGNOYDSAVGIN20
Anthony Paris148480
KICK RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
Michael Rivera37725.60
Andy Kelly128280
Micah Stevenson1000
PUNT RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
Andy Kelly34100

Despite the troubles at LSU, the Mustangs did not look bad given the circumstances. Certain SEC teams can't even keep it within 2-3 possession's in any game, so the fact that a new FBS team could I think is something to build off of.

Next week is the battle for the Cheese Curd Trophy at Camp Randall and we're looking forward to a matchup that I'm sure will be filled with emotion! Wisconsin is coming off of a 59-14 vs the FCS East Howlers and I'm sure Wisconsin is expecting the same talent matchup in this upcoming game against Mazomanie.

NEXT: at #24 Wisconsin (1-0), 3:30 PM kickoff
Old 11-02-2021, 09:44 AM   #4
Rookie

Re: What do you know about Mazo? (Mazomanie Mustangs Teambuilder Dynasty)

The enemy of my enemy is my friend

Following along! Pretty good showing vs LSU for a new FBS team.

BEAT WISCONSIN!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2021, 07:22 PM   #5
Rookie

uw1618's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuahuskers
The enemy of my enemy is my friend

Following along! Pretty good showing vs LSU for a new FBS team.

BEAT WISCONSIN!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol, this is the only time I’ll be rooting against Wisconsin (Going to become an annual thing I guess huh).

Truth be told I was very shocked Mazomanie was able to put up that much in their first game, but I figured if they would be able to do anything productive it would be on the return game or on miracle plays. Is it a coincidence that the biggest plays were huge runs by a QB and WR as well as kick returns?

I’m excited to see where this first game will take us. It makes me think this team has the grit to hang with teams in the MAC. Time will tell.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2021, 10:12 AM   #6
Rookie

slicknick3822's Arena

I live in Wisconsin and have no idea where Mazomanie is lol. Good luck on this dynasty can't wait to see where it goes!
Old 11-06-2021, 02:11 PM   #7
Rookie

uw1618's Arena

Here is the week three coaches poll! Apologies I have not released the previous two weeks, but better late than never!

NCAA Football Rankings - Coaches Poll - Updated: Sep 8, 2013
RKLWTEAM (VOTES)WLPOINTS
11Virginia Tech (33)201497
23Notre Dame (27)201447
34USC (1)101320
45Nebraska201263
56Oregon201224
68Florida201143
79Louisville101062
810LSU11944
911Arizona10944
1012Georgia Tech10894
1113TCU20845
1215Navy10765
1317Ole Miss11618
1421South Carolina20597
1518Alabama01534
162Oklahoma11472
1722Northwestern10455
1814Miami02448
1923Auburn20416
2016Georgia11413
2124Clemson10379
227Texas01295
2325Ohio State01274
24NRWisconsin10274
25NRHouston20251
Old 11-06-2021, 02:11 PM   #8
Rookie

uw1618's Arena

Here is whats happening around the MAC!

Around the MAC
ResultsHi PassingHi RushingHi Receiving
Kentucky 34 @ Miami (OH) 24M-OH: R. Brewer 12-20, 213yds, 3td, 1intUK: K. Graham 23att-117ydsM-OH: C. Williamson 4rec-91yds-2td
N. Illinois 35 @ Purdue 38PUR: B. Patrick 16-27, 204yds, 3tdNIU: K. Hopkins 19att-132yds-2tdS. Tidwell: 7rec-132yds-1td
Bowling Green 49 @ Kent State 42BG: J. Whitaker 30-41, 432yds, 6dBG: J. King 15att-80ydsBG: B. Williams 10rec-205yds-1td
North Texas 28 @ Ohio 42OHIO: A. Cummings 21-33, 263yds, 3tdOHIO: G. Allen 12att-102yds-1tdNT: W. McDonald 7rec-94yds-2td
Ball State 28 @ Army 24BALL: D. Bradley 21-31, 285yds, 4tdARMY: C. Cook 22att-143ydsBALL: R. Burrell 6att-158yds-1td
Toledo 3 @ Missouri 42MIZZ: S. Porter 15-22, 276yds, 3tdMIZZ: M. Murphy 13att-82yds-1tdMIZZ: C. Dean 4rec-90yds-1td
FCS E 27 @ Akron 44ZIPS: A. Jenkins 11-17, 156yds, 1tdZIPS: J. Slaughter 25att-177yds-3tdZIPS: L. Slaughter 7rec-116yds
Buffalo 28 @ 31 BaylorBAY: B. Smith 15-25, 262yds, 4tdBUFF: 19att-93yds-1tdBAY: J. Holt 8rec-159yds-2td
C. Mich 24 @ UNLV 27CMU: A. Zeigler 7-17, 101yds, 2tdUNLV: J. Alexander 14att-110ydsCMU: J. Smith 7rec-106yds
FCS SE 17 @ W. Mich 42WMU: M. Coley 15-18, 265yds, 6tdWMU: M. Bradford 13att-100ydsWMU: A. Walters 7rec-78yds-2td
Nebraska St 0 @ E. Mich 35EMU: L. Smith 15-27, 180yds, 2tdEMU: J. Lindsey 14att-90yds-2tdEMU: P. Adams 6rec-86yds

UPSET OF THE WEEK: #2 Oklahoma loses at home 41-49 vs West Virginia. Oklahoma drops to #16. WVU QB Drew Triplett threw for 261 and four scores, half of which went to wideout Jason Smith. Rian Allen scored the go-ahead touchdown in OT with a 2 yard run.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »