Home

Franchise long term roster

This is a discussion on Franchise long term roster within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-12-2021, 02:02 AM   #1
Rookie

Exile04's Arena

OVR: 1
Franchise long term roster

I'm more of a manager Sim most the season build a good roster type of player. So I get through season fairly quickly. I'm finding the quilty of young players to be a issue in the year 2026. No young RP that just become just usable guys mid 70's, and then young guys with A pot but a Ovr of like mid 50's and they never develop. I'm find other positions have similar issues. So I have to go in every year and edit players at random to try and keep the roster sensible. Anyone else do this? Think of easy ways to keep the teams evan?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2021, 08:43 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Franchise long term roster

I used the default rosters and got pretty far (2026) into a franchise without it seeming too goofy. I think the potentials and overalls are too high on a lot of prospects in the Sony ones. I play as Oakland and Robert Pauson and Lazaro Armentos are too good too soon for how are they are in real life.

I started one with the Ridin rosters V4 which corrects that problem but there are probably too many solid overall B/C guys in it. They never give anyone a D it seems.

I actually don't mind when you end up with those 30 year old rookies from time to time because it does happen irl a lot. Career minor leaguers have late career breakouts/finally get a chance.

Overall I'd say I like the Ridin rosters a lot for this.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2021, 09:59 AM   #3
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0

The potentials are a guideline not an absolute. I've seen plenty of A class prospects just stall in the minors, and I've seen B class prospects turn into superstars. There is a risk with each prospect, the lower they start, the more risk there is that they'll never reach their potential.

I have seen super high risk players pan out though. My 2014 1rst round draft pick was a super high risk pick, but had a 99 potential. He had the lowest rating I've ever seen before or since: 39. He then spent the next few years picking apart the minor leagues, developing by leaps and bounds, and after debuting in MLB, reached that 99 potential and is now my ace, and has been for a few years.

By contrast, my 2nd round draft also had an A potential, and started much higher (51). He stalled a lot in the minors and it's only now in 2023 that he's finally cracked the roster at 27 years of age. I don't think he'll ever reach his potential. He currently is sitting at 81.

Finally there was a SS who I traded for in 2014 who had an A potential and a 53 overall. I traded him away, but he's still in the minors with a whopping 66 overall.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-23-2021, 10:22 PM   #4
Rookie

StarzNBarz's Arena

OVR: 3

Bear with me. This is gonna sound crazy and it's a very long post...

Well, there's really no "easy" way to do it. You're gonna end up editing a ton of players either way. What i do to try and maintain a sensible player pool deep into franchise mode is edit the draft classes every spring training. It's a very tedious process but if you really care about a franchise mode and are willing to spend the time it's worth it.

I recommend 30 team control (if you don't already use it) so you can call up prospects for other teams and cycloniac's prospect ratings generator. After many hours and lots of testing i kind of configured my own way to do it with the help of his ratings generator. After every draft, take a picture of however many rounds you want to edit (i just do the first round, comp balance, and second round. then go through every team's picks and write down which players taken beyond the 4th round or so have big potential from the later rounds.) Once you get to next season's spring training bring the pictures of the draft classes up and go one by one from the first pick to the last pick in the first two rounds. As i said, i use cycloniac's ratings generator but it's more of a guide rather than an end all be all for me. I think it does a decent job of creating prospects that actually fit the position they are. For example without editing the draft classes you end up with a ton of speedy first and third baseman, slow center fielders, power hitting second baseman, etc. Anyway, on to the process which i use...

My thinking is this: the mlb draft is a lot more "random" than nba, nfl, etc. so to emulate that what i did was create an "overall and potential range" for wherever a player was picked. Teams that are obviously bad and drafting in the top 5 are still gonna get a good prospect, but might get unlucky and only end up with a decent player instead of a star like in real life. Teams that are drafting in the 20s might end up getting a star if the randomness allows, but it's a significantly less chance than the top 5-10. I think my method does a good job of balancing what happens in the real life mlb draft while still helping the bad teams get good players. You don't have to follow this as i can see how it's not for everyone, but these are the "ranges" that i use..

first round -

pick 1-5: 80-99 potential, 62-67 overall
pick 6-10: 75-95 potential, 62-65 overall
pick 11-20: 75-90 potential, 60-65 overall
pick 21-30: 70-90 potential, 60-63 overall

comp balance -

every pick: 70-90 potential. (if randomizer hits 80+ it must hit 80+ again. If it does go with the first number. if it doesn't add both numbers and divide by 2. round up if it's a .5. That's the potential of that prospect.) 58-62 overall

second round -

pick 1-15: start at 65-85. (if randomizer hits 80+ change the potential range to 75-90 then randomize again.) 58-60 overall
pick 16-30: start at 65-82. (if randomizer hits 80+ change the potential range to 75-90 then randomize again.) 58-60 overall

late round selections with high potential/overall -

start at 1-100. if randomizer hits 1-40 adjust rating but keep the potential where it is

if randomizer hits 41-100 adjust rating, give them 70 potential.

So a step by step process for what i do before every season during spring training is this..

1. Pull up the draft class pictures that you took

2. Go to random.org and enter the "potential ranges" in the true random number generator box for whatever pick you're on

3. Go to the player you are about to edit and click generate on random.org. Whatever number it lands on is the potential for that prospect. I am more lenient towards relievers and sometimes starters for the reason you listed. There really arent any good relief pitchers years into a franchise so its something you have to do yourself.

4. Use cycloniac's prospect ratings generator to edit the player's stats. He explains how to use it in the truesim roster project post. If the player's overall falls into the overall listed above you're done. Move on to the next prospect. If it's too high or too low bring up another true random number generator and enter in the "overall range" listed above. Hit random and the number it lands on is that prospects overall. Edit the ratings higher or lower to match the overall that you got on random.org

5. I kind of just wing it when it comes to age, height, and weight depending on how the stats from cycloniac come out and the position they are. If it's a 3rd base power hitter i will make him tall and heavier. If it's a speedy infielder he'll probably be shorter than 6 feet. I usually make every pitcher at least 6'1. I don't make anybody older than 21 and most prospects are 18-20. Editing the age along with editing the overall give them room to grow and reach their potential/eventually the majors. It's a key factor in keeping franchise mode playable 10+ years in.

It definitely takes a while and i can see how a lot of people wouldn't have the patience to edit 60+ players. But to me with no life it's worth it. I hope i explained it well enough. It's probably confusing and doesn't make sense without a visual aid but im not good with making videos and stuff so hopefully this post is ok. I'll answer any questions if anybody even read this and got this far lol. Good luck with your franchises guys.

Last edited by StarzNBarz; 09-24-2021 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:13 AM   #5
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile04
I'm more of a manager Sim most the season build a good roster type of player. So I get through season fairly quickly. I'm finding the quilty of young players to be a issue in the year 2026. No young RP that just become just usable guys mid 70's, and then young guys with A pot but a Ovr of like mid 50's and they never develop. I'm find other positions have similar issues. So I have to go in every year and edit players at random to try and keep the roster sensible. Anyone else do this? Think of easy ways to keep the teams evan?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Operation Sports mobile app
It's a combination of performance and potential. I'm in September of 2022 and I've only simmed 5 games. Played over 300 in manage mode. Zero slider adjustments. Biggest issues remain starting pitcher stamina which nearly always declines at a rate of -1 per year. For that reason I don't draft a player unless he has high 80's or above stamina. The other issues is hitters progression vs lhp. Only about 30% of of plate appearances are vs lhp but they calculate progression over a period of time instead of plate appearances which causes wild swings in progression vs lhp.
Old 09-24-2021, 01:33 PM   #6
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

The answer here in the long term, you have to do some sort of draft pick and prospect editing every off-season. This is vital to the long term health of a franchise. I have a system I utilize and have shared on here previously as do a few other users. Find what works for you edit wise and do them each off-season. (Very important for new draft picks.)

Currently Playing:

EA College Football 25 (PS5)
Final Fantasy 7 Remake (PS5)
Pokemon Violet (Switch)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »