Home

EA and Smite Dev Sign Deal to Potentially Bring TV-Style Commercials to Games

This is a discussion on EA and Smite Dev Sign Deal to Potentially Bring TV-Style Commercials to Games within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-01-2021, 07:42 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
EA and Smite Dev Sign Deal to Potentially Bring TV-Style Commercials to Games

https://www.ign.com/articles/ea-and-...ource=facebook
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2021, 07:54 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: EA and Smite Dev Sign Deal to Potentially Bring TV-Style Commercials to Games

I know this isn't what's going to happen, and I know I'm in an extremely tiny minority, but I'd watch commercials in franchise mode if it meant more money for the mode and more improvements.

I have 3 monitors at my desk so whenever I'm playing a game anyways I usually have a stream up on another screen and the internet up on another, so I practically never skip anything. I actually liked in the past when we had the little Snickers adverts in game.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 07-01-2021, 08:00 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: EA and Smite Dev Sign Deal to Potentially Bring TV-Style Commercials to Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I know this isn't what's going to happen, and I know I'm in an extremely tiny minority, but I'd watch commercials in franchise mode if it meant more money for the mode and more improvements.

I have 3 monitors at my desk so whenever I'm playing a game anyways I usually have a stream up on another screen and the internet up on another, so I practically never skip anything. I actually liked in the past when we had the little Snickers adverts in game.

"$3 for horse armor? I guess DLC is fine if it's just skins."

*15 years later*

DLC everywhere

The games industry isn't exactly known for it's "Give an inch, take an inch," mentality. They'll likely to exploit this feature to an insane degree like the current mobile game landscape.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Texas Rangers
San Antonio Spurs
Corpus Christi Hooks
Old 07-01-2021, 08:16 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_ZomBevo
"$3 for horse armor? I guess DLC is fine if it's just skins."

*15 years later*

DLC everywhere

The games industry isn't exactly known for it's "Give an inch, take an inch," mentality. They'll likely to exploit this feature to an insane degree like the current mobile game landscape.

Most games still use the DLC for cosmetic only items model, so it hasn't changed as much as people make it out to be. The industry did go through a period where DLC was actual content, but that ship has sailed for the most part. Season passes are and cosmetic items behind MTX are the current models and they aren't really that bad.

People cannot get the continued support they feel entitled to and get it for free. The way most games are structured now with season passes and/or cosmetic items being locked behind MTX is a way to ensure constant revenue so that work is constantly happening and games are supported longer.

I'm sure MUT has some influence with Madden developing a live service model these days which has already been beneficial to the series.

With regards to this deal in the OP, I'd assume we may see some stuff throughout menus or in loading screens, but that's about it. I highly doubt EA throws ads into the actual on field gameplay.

― Plato
Old 07-01-2021, 08:57 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Most games still use the DLC for cosmetic only items model, so it hasn't changed as much as people make it out to be. The industry did go through a period where DLC was actual content, but that ship has sailed for the most part. Season passes are and cosmetic items behind MTX are the current models and they aren't really that bad.

People cannot get the continued support they feel entitled to and get it for free. The way most games are structured now with season passes and/or cosmetic items being locked behind MTX is a way to ensure constant revenue so that work is constantly happening and games are supported longer.

I'm sure MUT has some influence with Madden developing a live service model these days which has already been beneficial to the series.

With regards to this deal in the OP, I'd assume we may see some stuff throughout menus or in loading screens, but that's about it. I highly doubt EA throws ads into the actual on field gameplay.
I wouldn't say MUT has been beneficial to Madden. It caused EA to prioritize their focus on other game modes. As someone that avoids MUT/FUT/MyTeam and only plays franchise modes, the stagnation is glaring since the introduction of UT.

I understand that the "franchise is ignored" drum is beaten loudly and repeatedly here but consider the other side of your argument. Whilst MTX is largely beneficial to the developers/publishers of the games, how is it beneficial to those that can't afford to drop extra money on top of $60($70) USD?

Skins may have no gameplay impact but being constantly bombarded with "buy skins" in almost every menu can feel frustrating. When I boot up Madden, NBA 2k, FIFA, or F1, the first thing I see is "LIMITED TIME OFFERS."

There is another tactic that they pull such as season passes and the fear of missing out. The kind of pressure that they put on players can be largely effective to a large group.

You made great points but whenever a discussion like this is brought up, the other side of the coin goes largely ignored.

Texas Rangers
San Antonio Spurs
Corpus Christi Hooks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2021, 09:09 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_ZomBevo
I wouldn't say MUT has been beneficial to Madden. It caused EA to prioritize their focus on other game modes. As someone that avoids MUT/FUT/MyTeam and only plays franchise modes, the stagnation is glaring since the introduction of UT.

I understand that the "franchise is ignored" drum is beaten loudly and repeatedly here but consider the other side of your argument. Whilst MTX is largely beneficial to the developers/publishers of the games, how is it beneficial to those that can't afford to drop extra money on top of $60($70) USD?

Skins may have no gameplay impact but being constantly bombarded with "buy skins" in almost every menu can feel frustrating. When I boot up Madden, NBA 2k, FIFA, or F1, the first thing I see is "LIMITED TIME OFFERS."

There is another tactic that they pull such as season passes and the fear of missing out. The kind of pressure that they put on players can be largely effective to a large group.

You made great points but whenever a discussion like this is brought up, the other side of the coin goes largely ignored.

MTX aren't really designed for the people who cannot afford them, so it shouldn't really matter that they don't get to benefit from it. It sounds harsh, but it's the truth. You cannot take the opinion of every single group out there and try to please them all. You pick a target audience and make a product for them. The people who cannot afford to buy the game and cosmetic items are not who those MTX are designed for so it not benefiting them isn't really an issue.

Does Mercedes care about the opinions and needs of the car buyers that have a $20,000 budget? No, they aren't the target group.

― Plato
Old 07-01-2021, 10:36 PM   #7
Rookie

MasonOS95's Arena

Quote:

If it’s part of a TV style broadcast in the game I’d be all for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-01-2021, 10:58 PM   #8
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

Terrible. The world is already too commercialized. It’s exactly why I don’t watch my shows when they are on. Too many commercials so I record so I can ffw through them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »