Home

Straight punches are too hard to slip.

This is a discussion on Straight punches are too hard to slip. within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-28-2021, 06:05 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0

You have to have a godly sense of anticipation to slip these punches. The jab is near unpunishable off a slip. Head movement in this game sways too far towards anticipatory head movement completely forgetting reactionary head movement.

There needs to be some kind of slowdown after a blocked jab to allow a better window to counter. The funny part is that while it's hard to counter its hard to use as an intercept tool. I feel the game would feel so much better if you could do more things off reaction.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2021, 07:43 AM   #2
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granbyroll
You have to have a godly sense of anticipation to slip these punches. The jab is near unpunishable off a slip. Head movement in this game sways too far towards anticipatory head movement completely forgetting reactionary head movement.

There needs to be some kind of slowdown after a blocked jab to allow a better window to counter. The funny part is that while it's hard to counter its hard to use as an intercept tool. I feel the game would feel so much better if you could do more things off reaction.

There is a slowdown after blocking any strike. You block a strike and the next one will come out slower.

The jab is the only strike in the game that will not cause a window of opportunity to counter if slipped (I don’t agree with this but it is what it is), however it is very much possible to counter the jab. A slip right hook was so powerful it had to be nerfed because dudes were just winging it over and over (especially on jabs). A slip straight will stun someone off a jab. An overhand will rock someone if timed well enough during a jab.

Real life slipping is NOT reactionary most of the time. That’s why you see people bob and weave. They don’t know what is gonna get thrown. No one has that good of reaction time. That’s why so called “bobbleheading” is realistic and should remain in the game.

The only time slipping is reactionary is when you recognize a pattern in the opponent and slip to punish. That’s exactly how it is in real life and in game. There are some SLIGHT exceptions like Aldo and Silva, etc. who are still preemptively moving their head in stance in order to react fast enough. Which by definition is still anticipatory. Silva’s head movement was based on the anticipation of someone throwing left-right-left-right (which is why Weidman caught him by doubling up on one side) so even though it looked like he was in the Matrix, he was STILL just using pattern recognition.

I’m sorry that slipping is hard for you. It should be. Your game knowledge and real life fighting knowledge is extremely lacking going off all of your posts. You even said yourself that the jab is hard to cause pressure with and hard to counter. That should have set red flags off in your head that something was amiss and there is a disconnect in your opinion and what is actually happening.

I say this with all due respect, but no one should be listening to your suggestions nor do I think anyone of importance is.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by RetractedMonkey; 06-28-2021 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-28-2021, 01:20 PM   #3
Rookie

Re: Straight punches are too hard to slip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
There is a slowdown after blocking any strike. You block a strike and the next one will come out slower.

The jab is the only strike in the game that will not cause a window of opportunity to counter if slipped (I don’t agree with this but it is what it is), however it is very much possible to counter the jab. A slip right hook was so powerful it had to be nerfed because dudes were just winging it over and over (especially on jabs). A slip straight will stun someone off a jab. An overhand will rock someone if timed well enough during a jab.

Real life slipping is NOT reactionary most of the time. That’s why you see people bob and weave. They don’t know what is gonna get thrown. No one has that good of reaction time. That’s why so called “bobbleheading” is realistic and should remain in the game.

The only time slipping is reactionary is when you recognize a pattern in the opponent and slip to punish. That’s exactly how it is in real life and in game. There are some SLIGHT exceptions like Aldo and Silva, etc. who are still preemptively moving their head in stance in order to react fast enough. Which by definition is still anticipatory. Silva’s head movement was based on the anticipation of someone throwing left-right-left-right (which is why Weidman caught him by doubling up on one side) so even though it looked like he was in the Matrix, he was STILL just using pattern recognition.

I’m sorry that slipping is hard for you. It should be. Your game knowledge and real life fighting knowledge is extremely lacking going off all of your posts. You even said yourself that the jab is hard to cause pressure with and hard to counter. That should have set red flags off in your head that something was amiss and there is a disconnect in your opinion and what is actually happening.

I say this with all due respect, but no one should be listening to your suggestions nor do I think anyone of importance is.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

What an elitist *******. First off I wrestled most of my life. I understand grappling far better than you ever could. I've been playing fighting games upwards of 20 years. I understand how the game works and that's why I can so easily constructively criticize. Noone of importance listens? Thats why tos liked my post on what ufc 5 can improve on?

So your saying there shouldn't bare minimum be parries for straight punches? Even zyaf agreed. Guess a double champ isn't important. What needs to happen with the jab is that it gets its own block counter via parries and more hit stun to intercept most of the spammy bull**** in this game. In real life ifs an intercepting strike. So your going to tell me in a fight that fighters just only throw right hands? Guess you never heard of gsp.

Last edited by Granbyroll; 06-28-2021 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-28-2021, 01:53 PM   #4
Pro

I concur with RM that real-life head movement is largely anticipatory. You could argue that an anticipated response still relies on reacting but that's semantics to me. The point is that fighters enhance their reaction times by predicting the opponent's moves. The best heavyweights knew Roy Nelson wanted to throw an overhand right whereas Mark Hunt had a more diverse striking toolkit so he gave great fighters more problems despite them having similar physical attributes.

If you go to practice mode and make the AI throw a head kick you will duck under that head kick every time because you anticipate it. If the game actually allowed to you to record multiple slots (pretty much the only modern fighting game that does not have this BTW), you could mix in different strikes like front kicks and body kicks and you would quickly notice that reacting to stikes you cannot anticipate is considerably more difficult but doable. However, these are some of the slowest strikes in the game unlike jabs.

You also have to consider that you are comparing real-life elite athletes who have honed their craft of beating people up for decades to couch potatoes who watch pixels on a high-latency TV screen 10 feet away from them playing against people with McDonalds' WiFi. Reacting to something that is coming towards your face and responding with your own muscles is a considerably faster process than recognizing a stimuli on a screen (with internet lag, display lag etc) and flicking a plastic stick with your thumb.
Old 06-28-2021, 11:43 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granbyroll
What an elitist *******. First off I wrestled most of my life. I understand grappling far better than you ever could. I've been playing fighting games upwards of 20 years. I understand how the game works and that's why I can so easily constructively criticize. Noone of importance listens? Thats why tos liked my post on what ufc 5 can improve on?

So your saying there shouldn't bare minimum be parries for straight punches? Even zyaf agreed. Guess a double champ isn't important. What needs to happen with the jab is that it gets its own block counter via parries and more hit stun to intercept most of the spammy bull**** in this game. In real life ifs an intercepting strike. So your going to tell me in a fight that fighters just only throw right hands? Guess you never heard of gsp.
Parties absolutely ruined ufc 2. If jabs bother you imagine not being able to jab because people are just waiting to parry
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2021, 01:13 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeba1000
Parties absolutely ruined ufc 2. If jabs bother you imagine not being able to jab because people are just waiting to parry
Parries with vulnerability
Old 06-29-2021, 03:46 PM   #7
Pro

MeowingForVengeance's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
Man, the rest of your post was solid, but that was just completely unnecessary.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:18 PM   #8
Rookie

I think the “lock on” with strikes can be a bit much. It’s like there’s a certain point where the game decides when the punch will land or not and at times it feels like you tried to move your head but you get frozen. It’s more noticeable if you’re facing McGregor for example because of his speed and accuracy.

The tracking is just a bit weird. At times it feels so strong and other times you just don’t connect when you should. Noticed with other straight attacks like front kicks have that kind of freezing effect at times as well if don’t move way before they even try it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »