Home

How MLB lineups are formed nowadays

This is a discussion on How MLB lineups are formed nowadays within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 06-03-2021, 03:26 AM   #1
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20

So not even that long ago we all knew the basic idea of how MLB lineups were formed. Fast guy leading off, good on base contact guy #2. Power at #4 and #6 etc etc.

Nowadays it's so different that when I look at lineups around the league I feel lost trying to understand how these are formed. Reason I ask is cause I'd love to see this game figure it out and fix lineup logic. It's very outdated system that doesn't come close to following the logic behind how lineups are formed irl.

So I'm curious if anyone could explain to me the basic gist or logic used in todays game to form lineups. Is it something that could be done in the game to a degree in a generic fashion?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Operation Sports mobile app

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2021, 04:35 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: How MLB lineups are formed nowadays

Leadoff
4 – Cleanup
2nd batter
5th batter
3rd batter
6th batter
7th batter
8th batter
9th batter

The batting positions in order of importance. Some teams are going by saber metrics
Old 06-03-2021, 11:41 AM   #3
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guys_WhoGame
Leadoff
4 – Cleanup
2nd batter
5th batter
3rd batter
6th batter
7th batter
8th batter
9th batter

The batting positions in order of importance. Some teams are going by saber metrics
Personally, I want my best hitters hitting the most often. Get a high OBP guy leading off, then roll from there.
Old 06-03-2021, 02:11 PM   #4
Where is A-Aron

bspring3's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSalsa
So not even that long ago we all knew the basic idea of how MLB lineups were formed. Fast guy leading off, good on base contact guy #2. Power at #4 and #6 etc etc.

Nowadays it's so different that when I look at lineups around the league I feel lost trying to understand how these are formed. Reason I ask is cause I'd love to see this game figure it out and fix lineup logic. It's very outdated system that doesn't come close to following the logic behind how lineups are formed irl.

So I'm curious if anyone could explain to me the basic gist or logic used in todays game to form lineups. Is it something that could be done in the game to a degree in a generic fashion?

Every team will have its own formula but here is a very simplified version that can be used as a base (shown in the order that you decide who hits where):

Top OPS-hits 2nd
2nd best OPs-hits 4th
Top OBP-hits 1st
Next best OPS-hits 5th
Next best Slugging-hits 3rd
Next best OPS-hits 6th
Next best OBP-hits 9th
Last two in OPS-hit 7th and 8th

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-03-2021, 03:07 PM   #5
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspring3
Every team will have its own formula but here is a very simplified version that can be used as a base (shown in the order that you decide who hits where):

Top OPS-hits 2nd
2nd best OPs-hits 4th
Top OBP-hits 1st
Next best OPS-hits 5th
Next best Slugging-hits 3rd
Next best OPS-hits 6th
Next best OBP-hits 9th
Last two in OPS-hit 7th and 8th

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. Just a rough simplified idea of how lineups are constructed in today's MLB. At the end of every month in my franchise I like to change the lineups based on performance for all teams so this is a perfect template for me to use. Thanks again

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2021, 03:15 PM   #6
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSalsa

The "sabermetic" idea that a lot of teams loosely follow ends is as such:

Best hitter hitting 2nd

Of your next two best hitters, better on base guy goes leadoff, power guy goes cleanup

Next best hits fifth

Next best hits third (this is where a lot of teams still lean towards tradition; 3 hole is often still one of the better hitters)

Next best 6th, then 7th, then 8th, then 9th

A lot of teams take other things into account, though. Take Acuña. He shouldn't really be batting leadoff. But he has historically hit much better there. The Angels like to go Fletcher/Ohtani/Trout/Rendon which doesn't really go traditional or sabermetic.

Also I think it's important to note that in the grand scheme of things, batting order isn't really all that important. If guys are hitting, you'll score runs, if they aren't, you won't. The difference between a random batting order and an ideal one is like a win per season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 06-03-2021, 03:23 PM   #7
Rookie

catfish9-5's Arena

OVR: 6

#7 & #8 guys are important as well cause they set table for #1 & #2 guys that get the most swings. IRL, I use some speed guys in 7-8 spots so #9 can move them if need and #1-2 see better pitches. I call 7 & 8 guys “rabbits”.

Old 06-03-2021, 04:03 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish9-5
#7 & #8 guys are important as well cause they set table for #1 & #2 guys that get the most swings. IRL, I use some speed guys in 7-8 spots so #9 can move them if need and #1-2 see better pitches. I call 7 & 8 guys “rabbits”.

I consider this too. They might not necessarily have great getting stats (if they did, they'd likely be higher in the line up), but if they at least have speed and can run the bases, you can take a patient approach through the back of the order and try to get them on base with a walk. Doesn't hurt that you should be driving the pitch count up at the same time too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »