Home

Suggestion: Trigger hitting interface (PS5)

This is a discussion on Suggestion: Trigger hitting interface (PS5) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-17-2021, 11:31 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0

The implementation of the adaptive triggers on the DualSense is lacklustre this year, though that's understandable given the crazy development cycle SDS had. For the future, I'd love to see the addition of a hitting interface that makes use of them.

Swung and missed? Hardly any resistance on the trigger.

Foul ball / weak contact? Weak resistance at the point of contact with the ball.

Hard hit? Strong resistance at the point of contact so you really feel you've slingshot the ball.

I'm sure there are many other uses in which it could be tried out. Maybe more resistance overall on power swings or for batters with low clutch with RISP?

Obviously this would just be a completely optional interface in addition to all others; I can imagine many competitive players would never dream of using it because it might throw their timing off. For many others, I think it could be very immersive and a lot of fun though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2021, 07:09 PM   #2
MVP

TripleCrown's Arena

Re: Suggestion: Trigger hitting interface (PS5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by febraro
The implementation of the adaptive triggers on the DualSense is lacklustre this year, though that's understandable given the crazy development cycle SDS had. For the future, I'd love to see the addition of a hitting interface that makes use of them.

Swung and missed? Hardly any resistance on the trigger.

Foul ball / weak contact? Weak resistance at the point of contact with the ball.

Hard hit? Strong resistance at the point of contact so you really feel you've slingshot the ball.

I'm sure there are many other uses in which it could be tried out. Maybe more resistance overall on power swings or for batters with low clutch with RISP?

Obviously this would just be a completely optional interface in addition to all others; I can imagine many competitive players would never dream of using it because it might throw their timing off. For many others, I think it could be very immersive and a lot of fun though.

I’ve got the idea and indeed there’s a lot of place for improvement in that area.

But if you played baseball you’ll remember it’s a bit the opposite. A ball hit hard on the sweet spot is causing less vibrations at hands level and it’s like cutting smooth butter. On the other end, a weak contact will often creates a lot of vibrations and that bad feeling like you hit a metal ball thrown by Chapman ;-)
Old 05-17-2021, 07:18 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown
I’ve got the idea and indeed there’s a lot of place for improvement in that area.

But if you played baseball you’ll remember it’s a bit the opposite. A ball hit hard on the sweet spot is causing less vibrations at hands level and it’s like cutting smooth butter. On the other end, a weak contact will often creates a lot of vibrations and that bad feeling like you hit a metal ball thrown by Chapman ;-)
And breaking a bat feels like the ball hit right off your hands.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 05-18-2021, 02:42 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown

That's cool to know! I've never had the chance to play baseball, it's not big in my part of the world.

But yes, the general idea would be to use the DualSense's triggers, in combination with the haptics, to replicate whatever it is that a particular result feels like in real life.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:01 AM   #5
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6

I think the sensitivity in the triggers works best for shooters where the trigger mimics the gun triggers. Some are heavier than others.

When hitting a ball you’ll feel it when making contact with the ball which the haptic feedback gives you now and like the other poster said when you hit the sweetspot you should actually feel almost nothing. That SDS decided to gove us a big rumble on perfect/perfect hits is a design choice but actually not how it would feel in real life.

So I think hitting with the R stick in combination with the appropriate rumble corresponding with the type of hit is the best implementation if you ask me. The triggers can only make your swing sluggish and makes no sense if you ask me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2021, 02:34 PM   #6
MVP

TripleCrown's Arena

Some interesting reading to learn more about bat physics.

I imagine they will eventually try to mimic something like this.

https://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/bats/sting-damp.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »