Home

PGA TOUR 2K21 Update Available Today

This is a discussion on PGA TOUR 2K21 Update Available Today within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-13-2021, 09:13 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
PGA TOUR 2K21 Update Available Today

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR2K/status...363086850?s=20

We have pushed out a small update that tunes slow swings and makes minor adjustments to fall-off distances when not swinging with good tempo.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #2
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: PGA TOUR 2K21 Update Available Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
https://twitter.com/PGATOUR2K/status...363086850?s=20

We have pushed out a small update that tunes slow swings and makes minor adjustments to fall-off distances when not swinging with good tempo.
I'm having a hard time gauging the recent "Red" tempo penalties, for red fasts and as of Friday, red slow tempos. I can see the effect there and it seems to be overly punitive, especially on partial pitch shots that have red tempos, but I've been playing so bad overall in the last month that I don't know how much of what I'm personally seeing has to do with my overall sucky play. I was having trouble with tempo well before either patch came, and in the last three weeks, my putting has tanked due mostly to poor tempo on putts. The overall reaction to the changes seems negative, but I have to wonder if those remaining silent about it aren't bothered by it?

If my game improves, I'll be able to make a better judgement on it, but right now my performance problems seem to be mostly on me. I missed three, sub 3 foot putts in a Society round yesterday... one of which was from inside of two feet!?
Old 05-17-2021, 09:34 AM   #3
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11

Came home from a week-long vacation to see that HB is still tinkering with their swing mechanics and alienating users. Sounds like the scores over on the beloved TGC Tours are climbing higher now and the game is making the splash shot out of the bunker useless. This added "difficulty" still comes down to the fact that all you can do in the game is try for perfect swing tempo, and anything else is going to absolutely ruin your round. There is now no room for error and it's a monotonous "perfect or nothing" setup with no misses long - all bad tempo shots go short now no matter if they're fast or slow. I hit a slightly fast splash shot in a greenside bunker last night that went 2 yards. Ummm, what?

The fact they pushed these updates out as server-side fixes that completely alter the way the game is played, and only offer these vague, pointless tweets about the updates as communication on these changes really irks me. They're quickly losing my interest in this game an any other future ones they publish.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:27 AM   #4
MVP

lowpaiddonkey10's Arena

OVR: 0

I find myself playing less and less as time goes on so I haven't seen the effects of the splash shot out of greenside bunkers. They need to institute a proper bunker shot get rid of the current flop and do something with the yardages for pitch shots. Green side bunker shots should not be all that difficult. Needs to be a bigger penalty for shots out of the rough around the green.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:51 AM   #5
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpaiddonkey10
I find myself playing less and less as time goes on so I haven't seen the effects of the splash shot out of greenside bunkers. They need to institute a proper bunker shot get rid of the current flop and do something with the yardages for pitch shots. Green side bunker shots should not be all that difficult. Needs to be a bigger penalty for shots out of the rough around the green.
The problem is that all these updates are catering to the "competitive" (i.e. TGC Tours and "eSports") base. Casuals are being made to play a game that's now extra punishing if you're not hitting exact perfects. For a more "fun" game, you have to play on Pro level difficulty or lower pretty much now with certain settings turned off (like the swing tempo itself). Pro is not used by any of the competitive flights on TGC Tours. Only the Beer League uses Pro, and that's a more recreational tour. I play on Pro level, and still am seeing more punishment on shots that are slightly fast - like my 2-yard bunker shot.

Competitive TGC Tours players were clamoring for the red fast fix since the game's launch, and for some reason they finally got it after 8 months and the devs saying the game was playing as intended. I think that fix needed to happen right away or not at all. Instead, you now get a game that's nothing like it was at release, and the devs are made to look foolish for saying it was playing the way they wanted it back then.

The next thing competitive players wanted adjusted was the short game, which they viewed as "too easy". They hated that splash shots could be played anywhere and not just in the bunkers. With this new update, splash shots are made way too difficult and I'd rather just hit pitches - which is hilarious because pitch shots were this game's pain point prior to all this! I am surprised that chip shots haven't been dismantled, since chipping is much easier than putting, IMO.

Last edited by MrArlingtonBeach; 05-17-2021 at 04:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2021, 05:42 PM   #6
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

Sorry for another post, but after playing a couple rounds with this new update, I am realizing that these swing changes are removing all fun I was having with 2K21. Now, even local offline matches are exercises in frustration. Splash shots are almost worthless, all misses - fast and slow - are short, pitch shots are still a wild ride, etc. I think I'm winding down my time with 2K21, as the career mode issues are still there and now the gameplay itself is a frustrating experience.

It's too bad they caved and catered to the competitive crowd so much to the point of making the game a frustrating endeavor...Even when the "red fasts" were a thing, you could still play a fun round of golf solo or with friends. Now, it's just hoping you're not slightly off on every sing shot, lest you duff the ball just 2 yards when in the bunker or just 200 yards off the tee.

If I wanted to be this upset after a round of golf, I'd just head to the local muni and play for real!
Old 05-17-2021, 06:27 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

I'm not a competitive player on this game but my opinion is 100% opposite. You should be penalized for hitting poor shots.

Now maybe they went a little too far but this to me makes the game more skill based. I have only played 2 rounds with the update and both on Masters level. My scores were horrible but no different than before the update when I also struggled on that level.

I guess if it has become too difficult on easier levels then I get the complaint. But if you can still score on beginner or pro then turn the level down?

I hate that everyone expects near perfect results. It should be hard at the competitive levels. I'm amazed by the scores some shoot.

Personally I shoot almost the same in real life as I do on Masters level (TGC settings) and it is a struggle. I have to work to break 80 at times. Feels like real golf to me.

If I want to compete in career mode I need to lower difficulty to pro. But that is one of the positives about the game is all the difficulty levels and assist options you have.

Last edited by TheBrew101; 05-17-2021 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:49 PM   #8
MVP

lowpaiddonkey10's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew101
I'm not a competitive player on this game but my opinion is 100% opposite. You should be penalized for hitting poor shots.

Now maybe they went a little too far but this to me makes the game more skill based. I have only played 2 rounds with the update and both on Masters level. My scores were horrible but no different than before the update when I also struggled on that level.

I guess if it has become too difficult on easier levels then I get the complaint. But if you can still score on beginner or pro then turn the level down?

I hate that everyone expects near perfect results. It should be hard at the competitive levels. I'm amazed by the scores some shoot.

Personally I shoot almost the same in real life as I do on Masters level (TGC settings) and it is a struggle. I have to work to break 80 at times. Feels like real golf to me.

If I want to compete in career mode I need to lower difficulty to pro. But that is one of the positives about the game us all the difficulty levels and assist options you have.
I switched from Pro to Master a few months back. Pro I was shooting mid 60's Master around par. I think Master is a decent difficulty level.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »