Home

Anyone tips to avoid striking out?

This is a discussion on Anyone tips to avoid striking out? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-12-2021, 02:56 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Anyone tips to avoid striking out?

I started up a test franchise to practice my hitting ability (using the Padres). I am just doing hitting and quick simming the pitching so I can get a lot of practice in while also looking at the sample numbers.

Im on default All-Star except I bumped up foup freq to 6 and user timing to 7. Im still striking out between 14-18 times a game lol. I try to be patient but I chase pitches out of the zone a ridiculous amount. I have my pitch speed on 4 for fastballs and 3 for offspeed.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2021, 07:10 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Anyone tips to avoid striking out?

Stop chasing balls outside the zone would be a good start lol!

Being disciplined early in the count is huge. On 0-0, I basically sit on a fastball in the middle of the zone, and I'm not swinging at anything else. I used to swing often early in the count but this just led to me falling behind. The pitcher then has the freedom to pitch outside the zone, and you're going to be tempted to swing again because you're already behind. Then you swing and miss and you're struck out anyway.

Getting ahead in the count forces the pitcher to give you what you want - a fastball in the zone. If they don't, you're walking. You only get ahead in the count by being disciplined and refusing to swing, particularly early.

You don't avoid strikeouts by swinging at every pitch. You avoid strikeouts by refusing to swing at the wrong pitches.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:26 AM   #3
Rookie

deamon93's Arena

As said before, don't chase pitches outside of the zone!
But easier said than done.

I don't know what your input type hittingwise is, I just tell you what I do with buttons (PS5):

I decide which swing type to use depending on the strikes I have: 0 strikes I use square button/power swing, 1 strike normal swing / X and with 2 strikes I use the contact / O button. This helps putting the ball in play and fouling it off a few times instead of going down on 3 pitches.
Very important for me: check the pitch repertoire of the pitcher. that's especially important if he features sliders or curveballs, typical 0-2 strikeout pitches: so you're expecting something like this in the dirt when behind in the count.

What helped me the most: I try to focus on the low pitches. if i see a low pitch, I try not to swing; mostly it breaks out of the zone (slider, curveball) or just drops (changeup). if you see a high pitch, you can easily just press contact swing to at least foul it off or get a lucky hit.

Long story short:
stay awy from low pitches and use contact swings with two strikes.

Disclaimer: may be not the best method; but for me it works, so i thought i'll just share my approach
Old 05-12-2021, 09:06 AM   #4
Rookie

To help with not swinging at bad pitches, try different camera angles. I use pitch center. Even the smallest change to an angle can make a difference.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:31 AM   #5
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

The slower the pitch the more I strike out lol. I hit better on the higher difficulties than the lower. Go figure lol. I think it’s I just can’t get timing down, I’m early on everything. But on the higher difficulties the pitches coincides with my natural hitting timing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2021, 10:14 AM   #6
Rookie

HBKSean216's Arena

Go into hitting practice and put difficulty on rookie and find a camera angle you feel gives you the best view of the ball. Keep hitting in practice and move up difficulty when you think you've got the timing down and then just repeat..... You want to find a camera angle where you can pick the ball up quickest. I am never looking anywhere but the pitchers throwing hand. Pick up the ball and literally follow it all the way to your hitter. If you can do that youll be able to pick up the type of pitch and the direction it is going MUCH faster. Keep in mind the higher the difficulty the faster the pitch comes in. Also, the closer the camera angle, the faster you need to swing as well. A camera like retro, you'd need to wait a little longer to swing. Everyone loves Strikezone 1 or 2. I hate them. I use offset 2.

I turn off strikezone and hot zones and I have PCI turned off except for center PCI and I use diamonds. You don't have to do all that but it's what works for me.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:15 AM   #7
Rookie

HBKSean216's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJin2011tm
The slower the pitch the more I strike out lol. I hit better on the higher difficulties than the lower. Go figure lol. I think it’s I just can’t get timing down, I’m early on everything. But on the higher difficulties the pitches coincides with my natural hitting timing.
I CAN NOT STAND going up against someone online who is using Fernando Valenzuela.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:48 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 2

Hitting is hard. I cannot even begin to imagine how challenging it must be to hit in the real world against professional pitchers. But in regards to this game it just takes time. It takes time to learn the sight pictures of the ball leaving the pitchers hand. When I first began hitting in the game, I swung at high pitches, I swung at low pitches. I swung at almost everything. But over time, I began to recognize, oh that pitch is low, or that pitch is high. I still struggle with sliders though as the sight picture of a slider looks like a fastball coming out of the pitchers hand so I swing and as soon as I do this the ball breaks and I look like a fool.

Oh and when down 0-2, in the vast majority of the cases at least in this game, the next pitch is most likely not going to be in the strike zone. So I find 0-2 counts are ironically one of the easier pitches to take. The only exception to this is if I am a pitcher at the plate. In this game I find the opposition pitcher will often throw the ball in the strike zone when you yourself are a pitcher at the plate. But all bets are off in 1-2 counts and you just need to battle at the plate the best you can. Nobody likes to strike out, but it is part of the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »