Home

MLB The Show Trade Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on MLB The Show Trade Discussion Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-29-2021, 05:29 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
MLB The Show Trade Discussion Thread

I'm a pretty new and casual fan of baseball at the moment. I've only been following the sport for the past two seasons, so am still getting to grips with the ins and outs of the game. As such, I find trade discussion threads incredibly useful to make sure that my trades are generally in keeping with real life happenings in MLB. I couldn't see one for '21, so figured I'd get things started.

I've started a franchise with the As, and would like to add SP Tyler Glasgow from the Rays to my rotation. Is this a trade that would at least be plausible in real life? If so, what would I have to give up to get him?

The Rays look to have a good number of pitchers right around Glasgow's overall, some of whom are younger. He's also coming towards the end of his arbitration period so is about to become less affordable. As far as I'm aware, he also hasn't played that much (or that we'll?) for the Rays since they traded for him, and they got him pretty cheap in the deal if I'm not mistaken? Seems reasonable that they may move on from him.

The Rays would accept the following package from me:

SP Paul Blackburn - 27yo, 71 OVR, B pot.
C Aramis Garcia - 28yo, 72 OVR, B pot.
SS young prospect - 19yo, 49 OVR, A pot.

Glasgow is 27yo, 78 OVR, B pot

This doesn't seem like it would be enough though. I also have another young SS at 68 OVR, A pot. who I could trade instead.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2021, 05:56 PM   #2
MVP

Re: MLB The Show Trade Discussion Thread

Awesome bro I was just gonna ask where this thread was because no search. Nice.

I’m here because I want to acquire Javier Baez as my first move as Tigers GM. I’m offering Matt Boyd. Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:59 PM   #3
MVP

Rocket32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackrel829
I'm a pretty new and casual fan of baseball at the moment. I've only been following the sport for the past two seasons, so am still getting to grips with the ins and outs of the game. As such, I find trade discussion threads incredibly useful to make sure that my trades are generally in keeping with real life happenings in MLB. I couldn't see one for '21, so figured I'd get things started.

I've started a franchise with the As, and would like to add SP Tyler Glasgow from the Rays to my rotation. Is this a trade that would at least be plausible in real life? If so, what would I have to give up to get him?

The Rays look to have a good number of pitchers right around Glasgow's overall, some of whom are younger. He's also coming towards the end of his arbitration period so is about to become less affordable. As far as I'm aware, he also hasn't played that much (or that we'll?) for the Rays since they traded for him, and they got him pretty cheap in the deal if I'm not mistaken? Seems reasonable that they may move on from him.

The Rays would accept the following package from me:

SP Paul Blackburn - 27yo, 71 OVR, B pot.
C Aramis Garcia - 28yo, 72 OVR, B pot.
SS young prospect - 19yo, 49 OVR, A pot.

Glasgow is 27yo, 78 OVR, B pot

This doesn't seem like it would be enough though. I also have another young SS at 68 OVR, A pot. who I could trade instead.
There’s no way you’re realistically getting a young arm like Glasnow for that return package. He was pretty dominant in his 60.2 IP in 2019, 1.78 ERA and 0.89 WHIP. Sure his numbers jumped last year, but that happening in a shortened delayed season isn’t enough for you to get him for nothing. Especially as Tampa is aiming to contend.

The potentials of the players you are offering look good, but really look at what you’re actually offering. In game, Blackburn is the same age as Glasnow, significantly worse, and has less room to improve. Aramis Garcia is likely a career backup/depth C. At age 28 he’s not a solid prospect. The SS prospect is very raw at 49 OVR and has a good chance of never reaching that high potential.

Zero reason for Tampa to accept that trade. If you were the Rays, would you accept that trade? I would bet that’s a no. The 68 OVR A potential SS is good centerpiece, but those other players really don’t add much to the deal.

Last edited by Rocket32; 04-29-2021 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:41 PM   #4
Rookie

Goose26's Arena

OVR: 3

I just offered Francisco Lindor to the Twins for (many players before finally seeing how low they would need me to go) RP Cody Stashak and the Twins said they wanted more value. This game is completely broken.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:59 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose26
I just offered Francisco Lindor to the Twins for (many players before finally seeing how low they would need me to go) RP Cody Stashak and the Twins said they wanted more value. This game is completely broken.
Generally speaking that’s why guys make this thread every year, to get advice on making legit moves instead of dealing with the silliness.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2021, 08:09 PM   #6
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Always one of my favorite threads, every year. I like to pretend its like us, "gm's," discussing potential trades.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 04-30-2021, 02:35 AM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket32
There’s no way you’re realistically getting a young arm like Glasnow for that return package. He was pretty dominant in his 60.2 IP in 2019, 1.78 ERA and 0.89 WHIP. Sure his numbers jumped last year, but that happening in a shortened delayed season isn’t enough for you to get him for nothing. Especially as Tampa is aiming to contend.

The potentials of the players you are offering look good, but really look at what you’re actually offering. In game, Blackburn is the same age as Glasnow, significantly worse, and has less room to improve. Aramis Garcia is likely a career backup/depth C. At age 28 he’s not a solid prospect. The SS prospect is very raw at 49 OVR and has a good chance of never reaching that high potential.

Zero reason for Tampa to accept that trade. If you were the Rays, would you accept that trade? I would bet that’s a no. The 68 OVR A potential SS is good centerpiece, but those other players really don’t add much to the deal.
I figured that would be the case

Would they take Sean Manaea in return do you think? He's in a contract year and I'd rather have Glasnow going forward. He's 80 OVR, 28, B pot.

Or do you think the trade is just unrealistic and I should look elsewhere?
Old 04-30-2021, 03:23 AM   #8
MVP

Rocket32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackrel829
I figured that would be the case

Would they take Sean Manaea in return do you think? He's in a contract year and I'd rather have Glasnow going forward. He's 80 OVR, 28, B pot.

Or do you think the trade is just unrealistic and I should look elsewhere?
I would say it’s just unrealistic with the position the Rays are in, they really have no reason to move Glasnow right now. Glasnow’s higher ceiling and multiple years of ARB control would be more valuable to Tampa then a slight short term upgrade in Manaea.

If you’re going to trade for a quality young cheap controllable starter, it’s usually gonna have to sting a bit if you’re being realistic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »