Home

PS5 to Xbox Series X Switch?

This is a discussion on PS5 to Xbox Series X Switch? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-02-2021, 12:07 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 4
PS5 to Xbox Series X Switch?

This is probably better for the Console forum, but still Show related. Long story short, I've had Playstation since the PS1, I switched to the XBOX One and enjoyed it but came back to Sony for the Show once MLB2K ended.

My question is.......I'm somewhat curious about Game Pass and just moving over to Xbox Series X, I'm one of the lucky few who got a release day PS5, which I know I could easily sell. What's the pros/cons between the two at this point?

I have a 4k/120 TV so I'm going Series X if I make the switch, I was just thinking having some new exclusives would be nice, and now with the Show Day 1 on Gamepass, that's a major seller for me as I play it probably 50% of my total gaming time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2021, 12:15 PM   #2
Rookie

rbaker1979's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: PS5 to Xbox Series X Switch?

I'm lucky enough to have both a PS5 and XSX.

Largely from what I've seen of multi-platform comparisons, the games are mostly the same quality between PS/Xbox, except for some where PS5 is slightly faster while Xbox has slightly more power to help with framerates/graphics. I'm talking extremely minor differences though.

It's probably easier if you take a look at Playstation vs Xbox exclusives and see if one grabs you more than the other. For example, PS seems to have way more high quality single player games, while Xbox has their exclusives on Game Pass day 1.

I don't think you can go wrong either way this gen though, we are at the point where consoles aren't THAT different from each other.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:37 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaker1979
I'm lucky enough to have both a PS5 and XSX.

Largely from what I've seen of multi-platform comparisons, the games are mostly the same quality between PS/Xbox, except for some where PS5 is slightly faster while Xbox has slightly more power to help with framerates/graphics. I'm talking extremely minor differences though.

It's probably easier if you take a look at Playstation vs Xbox exclusives and see if one grabs you more than the other. For example, PS seems to have way more high quality single player games, while Xbox has their exclusives on Game Pass day 1.

I don't think you can go wrong either way this gen though, we are at the point where consoles aren't THAT different from each other.
Agreed, I think it's not so much a money thing, more just trying something new. But........on the Single Player standpoint, I'm really surprised at how much I liked Miles Morales, and I'm apt to try Ghost of Tsushima at some point. Metal Gear and Gran Turismo are solid as well, oh the other hand, I really like Gears of War back in the day, and Forza looks good as well, in addition to of course Halo.

Decisions, decisions, I could afford both, but from a time standpoint it doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:27 PM   #4
Rookie

douggoud's Arena

OVR: 7

I think it'll really come down to a couple things.

If you have a preference between the controllers. I know there are people who will die by the Xbox controller, but me personally, I dislike having the left analog stick that high. But I've been a playstation gamer since the PS2 so I'm probably just used to the stick being where it is. So it depends on what you prefer.

And then it depends on where your friends mostly play I suppose. This isn't really as much of an issue now with crossplay coming around finally, but some games may not do it still, so if you have more friends on one console over the other, then that's another thing.

Otherwise, like baker said, exclusives are another. Me personally I love all of Sony's exclusives, but even those are ending up on PC. Might even end up on Xbox before long. Who knows for sure?

I'll always be a playstation gamer for the fact that I've been with it for so long, and also, I have no need to own an Xbox when I have a gaming pc and they bring their games to PC. I had only bought Xbox in the past to play Forza. Now there's no need to have both. Least for me anyways. Depends on what you wanna do.

"All Angels Go To Heaven"
Old 04-02-2021, 05:04 PM   #5
Pro

IHateDuke32's Arena

OVR: 2

As someone who has both, I honestly love them both. I had/loved PS4 but never had an Xbox One. Therefore, for me personally, I've played my Series X way more than my PS5 as it just feels more "new" to me. There aren't many next-gen only games for either console, so to this point you're playing mostly current and previous gen stuff.

What kind of games do you like to play? Sony exclusives? If so, the answer is simple, stick with the PS5. Big Bethesda fan? Well then as a PS5 owner, you'll most likely be shut out on all of their big releases. Do you like the Dual Sense? I find it to be a pretty cool controller and games like Astro's Playroom that implement the tech well, make using it really cool. However, I just feel like the Series controller feels better in my hands, so I prefer it over the Dual Sense. Also, is BC a big thing to you? If so, Xbox is the easy choice given the way they've approached it, optimizing a bunch of games for the Series consoles and then also taking old games and doubling frame rates. I never played Fallout 4 before, but since it's on Game Pass now and they doubled the frame rate to 60fps I downloaded it. It's awesome!

I will say that there's a handful of next gen games I've tried on both consoles, such as Madden 21, NBA 2K21, Control Ultimate Edition, Crash 4. Playing on an LG CX, I feel like each of these games looks a tad better on Series X. Which I guess makes sense since the architecture is a little stronger than PS5.

But both are really great consoles. I honestly just think it depends on whatever games you want to play. I fell in love with a bunch of the PlayStation exclusives on PS4, but it's been amazing playing games like Gears 5 and Ori the Will of the Wisps at 4K120 on my CX. I hadn't played a Halo game since Halo 2 on the OG Xbox, and I have the MCC downloaded and play it all the time. Just browse whichever console has the games you want to play, they're both great.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2021, 12:53 AM   #6
MVP

brahmagoul's Arena

OVR: 12

What's your other 50 percent of gaming? I'd say if 25 percent goes to those PlayStation exclusives, then I'd stick with the PS5.

Game Pass is absolutely the best deal in gaming, not even considering the Show addition. I wouldn't assume the Show will be a yearly Game Pass fixture, but just having the Show available on XBox -- even at full retail -- is a big plus.

I'm lucky to have both systems. My friends are on the PS5, but i prefer the Series X for cross platform non-sports games. Sports games are the exception because I love the PS5 controller for NBA 2K21. I also have the Show coming for PS5 and will stick with it because I spent non-refundable rewards certificates toward the preorder, anticipating the Dual Sense making it a better experience.

So why do I prefer the Series X for non-sports games? The quick resume feature is awesome, and I think makes it overall a faster loading experience than the PS5. I can bounce between two games like I'm playing old-school Nintendo. Upgrades from XBox One to Series X are more seamless than PS4 to PS5, and I think that's going to matter for at least the next 12 months while new releases remain sparse.

I love both systems. I prefer the PS5 controller, but the Series X's system and interface. A little more storage space helps, too!

If you can swing it, I'd suggest getting the Series X and holding onto your PS5. Granted, if you can live without the PlayStation exclusives, you will be happy and you'll make someone else giddy by selling your PS5 to them.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:00 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmagoul
What's your other 50 percent of gaming? I'd say if 25 percent goes to those PlayStation exclusives, then I'd stick with the PS5.

Game Pass is absolutely the best deal in gaming, not even considering the Show addition. I wouldn't assume the Show will be a yearly Game Pass fixture, but just having the Show available on XBox -- even at full retail -- is a big plus.

I'm lucky to have both systems. My friends are on the PS5, but i prefer the Series X for cross platform non-sports games. Sports games are the exception because I love the PS5 controller for NBA 2K21. I also have the Show coming for PS5 and will stick with it because I spent non-refundable rewards certificates toward the preorder, anticipating the Dual Sense making it a better experience.

So why do I prefer the Series X for non-sports games? The quick resume feature is awesome, and I think makes it overall a faster loading experience than the PS5. I can bounce between two games like I'm playing old-school Nintendo. Upgrades from XBox One to Series X are more seamless than PS4 to PS5, and I think that's going to matter for at least the next 12 months while new releases remain sparse.

I love both systems. I prefer the PS5 controller, but the Series X's system and interface. A little more storage space helps, too!

If you can swing it, I'd suggest getting the Series X and holding onto your PS5. Granted, if you can live without the PlayStation exclusives, you will be happy and you'll make someone else giddy by selling your PS5 to them.
Yeah, this helps. I don't think I want/need 2 consoles, I only have but so much time. The Game Pass is mainly what's pushing me towards XBox, just being able to try new games without going full in. On the flip side, though, the other 50% of the time it's mostly Madden/Fifa/NHL, and some mix of racing games (GT7 - I think I would like Forza).

It really comes down to the exclusives and Game Pass, I was never really into Halo, never played Forza, but I did like Gears. I'm not into any of the Bethesda games. How is the Quick Resume different than on PS5?

How's the audio on XBOX through headphones? I do like the audio on the PS5 and have the Sony headphones. One other thought is I do travel some, so how is it to play some of these games on PC? Remote Play on PS5 is a fail.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:38 AM   #8
MVP

brahmagoul's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj2281
Yeah, this helps. I don't think I want/need 2 consoles, I only have but so much time. The Game Pass is mainly what's pushing me towards XBox, just being able to try new games without going full in. On the flip side, though, the other 50% of the time it's mostly Madden/Fifa/NHL, and some mix of racing games (GT7 - I think I would like Forza).

It really comes down to the exclusives and Game Pass, I was never really into Halo, never played Forza, but I did like Gears. I'm not into any of the Bethesda games. How is the Quick Resume different than on PS5?

How's the audio on XBOX through headphones? I do like the audio on the PS5 and have the Sony headphones. One other thought is I do travel some, so how is it to play some of these games on PC? Remote Play on PS5 is a fail.
-Quick resume loads games back to the pause screen of where you left off on Series X. The closest comparison on the PS5 I see is the activity cards, and even those are hit and miss. Control Ultimate Edition is the only PS5 game I've noticed to have it (didn't see it on Spider Man: Miles Morales or last-gen games). Still, I consider quick resume much faster on the Series X because it skips the loading screens. And it works with last-gen games.

-I haven't used headphones with the Series X. I bought the 3D Pulse for the PS5 because I was impressed on my PS4 how just using Apple earbuds sounded while plugged in to the controller. I never got that on the old XBox, so I haven't felt compelled to invest in XBox headphones. I read the Pulse 3D can be used on the Series X via wired connection. I'll try that this weekend and get back to you. Taking PTO this upcoming week, and all I plan to do is play.

-On the exclusives front, I think you'd get an extreme value from Game Pass. First, the racing games. Forza Motorsport and Horizon are both available and awesome. Dirt 5 is available and I'm digging that. It has a 120 FPS mode. Also, Wreckfest is on Game Pass and that is my favorite racing game. It's like Destruction Derby on the old PlayStation but better. Then EA Play gives you access to so much more, including the next-gen Madden 21 (they seem to be added after the season).

Here's their library: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass/games

I'm in the same camp about Halo. It's meh to me, but Game Pass offered me the chance to try Titanfall 2. The service is like having an unlimited Blockbuster pass for games, but I'm pretty sure that would have been more expensive even 15 years ago.

Another important note: I want to say the shortest time I've seen a game on Game Pass is about four months. They had GTA 5 and Red Dead 2 on there for about four-month periods last year. The Microsoft and EA games seem to stay indefinitely.

Last edited by brahmagoul; 04-03-2021 at 11:40 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »