Home

Were we ever told why Real-Time Presentation was removed?

This is a discussion on Were we ever told why Real-Time Presentation was removed? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-29-2021, 01:08 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Were we ever told why Real-Time Presentation was removed?

As the title indicates, were we ever told why the completely real-time presentation was removed? Either I am misremembering or we used to be able to watch the entire game with no skip forwards if we never pressed any button between pitches.

Now these days, when using the slowest presentation style it still randomly will skip ahead immediately to the next pitch, it sometimes skips the batter walk-ups, it's not 100% real-time anymore. It will be real-time for a period of time, but then the game will just decide when it wants to skip forward.

I'm someone who enjoys never skipping anything unless it is poor quality (Madden 21 intros and practically all Madden 21 presentation). When we had real-time presentation I loved relaxing and letting the game unfold slowly like a real baseball game. When I play NBA 2k21 I let the game play out in its entirety and never skip forward at all.

I would rather see quirks with the real-time presentation over having it jarringly skip forward on its own. For example, I am more immersed in NBA 2k21 even when there is a goof in the presentation with clipping, or someone walking through the camera than I am when MLB The Show immediately skips to the next pitch before the foul ball even had a chance to land. If it was removed due to quirkiness I don't agree with the move. It is similar to referees in Madden. They weren't perfect, but it was still much better when they were on the field than it is now that they are completely gone. They didn't throw flags in real-time or act like real humans 100% of the time, but seeing them there brought the game to life more than not having them at all.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2021, 02:15 AM   #2
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Were we ever told why Real-Time Presentation was removed?

Telemetry stated people X through things, so they made the decision for everyone and said that they'll help us by removing it. I'm sure there are other things that help them in the end as well regarding loading items and such, but they're justifying it with the telemetry.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-29-2021, 05:23 AM   #3
Pro

boxers's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninertravel
Because gen z are impatient with short attention spans, it’s why we have quick counts and a other things they have put it to cut time off
So unnecessary. I'm not part of Gen z and I neither have the time nor the desire to play 162 games taking over 90 mins to each to complete. It was a good option to add that didn't change the core game for those who liked it the old way. I think you can still play without quick counts, so why complain about something that doesn't affect you?

As for OP's question, not sure about the answer but Blzer's comment makes sense. Even on the faster modes, there's some unnecessary skipping and random selection of when to display batter walk-up stats that wasn't in versions prior to last year's game -- tldr could also be a presentation glitch from the new format they introduced last year.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:35 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 21

if they were xing through the RT presentation anyway why remove it? They still x through anything that is not the next pitch. Even abbreviated cut scenes.

C
Old 03-29-2021, 08:44 AM   #5
MVP

Archie56's Arena

Quote:
Because gen z are impatient with short attention spans, it’s why we have quick counts and a other things they have put it to cut time off
It has nothing to do with gen z. I'm 41 years old with a wife and 3 year old and I don't always have the time to sit there and play full games. Quick counts help shorten the games so I can get a few in. It gives people options. Now as far as RTP, I still wish we had that. I know they said telemetry shows people X through it more often than not, but still wish we had the option to watch everything play out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2021, 08:53 AM   #6
3X MLBTS Champion

mlblover15's Arena

OVR: 19

could it also be because they brought in the broadcast package?
Old 03-29-2021, 10:38 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Telemetry stated people X through things, so they made the decision for everyone and said that they'll help us by removing it. I'm sure there are other things that help them in the end as well regarding loading items and such, but they're justifying it with the telemetry.
I don't think I'll ever understand the idea behind changing something like this when you already offer the different options. I feel too many companies get too focused on the numbers and never think of why the numbers are what they are and what else can change.

If this is truly why they made the change, why not have the default presentation style be one of the quicker options and have those that want to take it all in switch to real-time? Let people skip when they want.

It reminds me of the few times EA referenced their telemetry data. They said people button mashed through a lot of their opening presentation so they streamlined it all and even skip the coin toss now. Their presentation has always been their weakest point. I'm a presentation nut who will watch it all and I even skip it in Madden because it is so bad, not because I hate presentation.

They also referenced one year how the vast majority of franchise players never got past year 1 or year 2. They seemed to take this as franchise was a dying mode and their attention to that mode over the years has practically confirmed that. They looked at the data completely wrong. Again, I'm a franchise only player for the most part and I struggled to get past year 1 in Madden because the mode was so poorly done and not deep at all.

I think these days in all industries, not just gaming, there is an over-reliance on analytics. Companies get sucked into using numbers to drive their direction, but numbers do not always tell the whole story. I work with numbers every day. That's my job. Numbers lie.

If SCEA decided to speed up presentation for everyone despite having options already because their analytics showed people skipped through a chunk of it, then shame on them. That was not the best decision to make, in my opinion. Like I said before, make the default option one of the quicker options and just leave the real-time as it was as a 100% real-time presentation style. The current style we have now of 80% real-time is too jarring at times and it hurts the game.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 03-29-2021, 12:12 PM   #8
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Quote:
I am sorry but this comment is out of line. Not everyone plays the game the same way. And you are blaming an entire age group when there is more to it.

I am 40 years old, married with 2 kids, work 45-50 hours a week (in a job I love and moved my family for by the way), and am actively involved with my 2 boy's scout troops so my time is valuable to me.

I personally do not play quick counts and I probably have contributed quite a bit to hitting x to pass everything but that doesn't mean I am happy that it is gone or changed for the worse.

I think the option to have real time broadcast presentation should still be there. I play on hybrid and don't have walk-ups and everything else but I am not judging those that want it. It plays a little faster for me. If someone wants to play that way, they should be able to without judgement one way or the other.

Personally I am thrilled that we have the save and close game in progress so I can come back later. I am upset y2y saves are gone but the save mid game is also a huge thing for me.

Currently Playing:

EA College Football 25 (PS5)
Final Fantasy 7 Remake (PS5)
Pokemon Violet (Switch)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment

Last edited by Funkycorm; 03-29-2021 at 06:00 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »